• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Ashhong said:
So I tried using my E5 today with my phone at the gym for the first time. Nonstop whine from my headphones, like the kind you hear from your speaker when a cell phone starts ringing. What the hell? I know it could do that once in a while...but it just kept going and going. Might have to return this.

Dont hear any noise without the E5.

edit: testing it at home now and it doesnt make the sound...something to do with the gym? weird.
unusual.

Ashhong

Dreams-Visions said:

I turned on data and i hear the sound. It would be running off data instead of Wifi at the gym, so it seems that is the culprit. Still unusual? I guess my phone is constantly doing something with data and the feedback is coming through?

exarkun

HiResDes said:
Check out the Ultrasone HFI 580's...They'd be perfect, but the only worry is if you can get used to the rather tight clamping.

...Maybe spring for the M-Audio Q40's instead if you're worried about the clamping

The second one is cheaper than the first...how could I "spring" for a cheaper pair? hahaha

Anything closer to 100 you would recommend? If not, then I can probably go with the ones you initially recommended since a quick check and quite a few blogs I frequent talk about them.

1stStrike

Banned
mr stroke said:
which Dennon's are those and how are the sound quality of Dennon Headphones in general?
(Love their receivers but never tried their speakers or Headphones)

I've used the D2000's and the D7000's (currently using the D7000's). Really can't recommend them enough. Very comfortable, detailed bass without being overwhelming and hold in sound well without leaking much out (I can have the music cranked out and if you're standing next to me you'll barely hear it).

Of course, like all headphones it comes down to personal preference, but I've never regretted my purchase.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
1stStrike said:
I've used the D2000's and the D7000's (currently using the D7000's). Really can't recommend them enough. Very comfortable, detailed bass without being overwhelming and hold in sound well without leaking much out (I can have the music cranked out and if you're standing next to me you'll barely hear it).

Of course, like all headphones it comes down to personal preference, but I've never regretted my purchase.

Are there any substantial differences between those two models, sound quality wise?

Hey, what would you folks recommend for a new pair of headphones? I'd prefer something over the ears, in the $100-200 range.

Sennheiser Hd555's are $82 on Amazon right now, good deal I'm assuming? Or if I'm gonna spend the money, would it be worth it for something different? I'm kind of a noob at this.

Extollere said:
Are there any substantial differences between those two models, sound quality wise?
D7000 offers significantly tighter bass, more present and forward mids, and slightly better highs.

of course, they also cost 3x-4x as much, so I'd start with the D2000s and upgrade only if you really feel compelled.

Quick question, as my Atrio M5 IEMs are going on 2 (or is it 3?) years old; I have never NOT loved them, but is there something (unamped) that I'm missing out on by sticking with these babies? In roughtly the same price range, of course...

EDIT: Ha! They're going on FOUR years old. Sheesh!

K.Jack said:
Check the OP first. Look at reviews. Then come back to fill in the blanks .

*sigh* if it so pleases you...

[corrected]

Sennheiser HD 555's are $82 on Amazon. Good deal for those, or should I invest $70 more for a pair of HD595's?

At any rate, I'm looking for what you guys think.

Does anyone here have the Beats by Dr. Dre?

I've spent half a day on reviews on these things. I never paid attention to them until a coworker blasted Kanye West - Monster" on his Beats Studio... I was really impressed by the Bas, and the loudness of it. He played them from his Iphone 4.

I have a Ipod Touch(generation 1, 2007) and a new Ipod Nano(6th gen I believe) and they have very low volume on my headsets(Denon AH D1100 and Sennheiser 215)...

Both these headsets are decent. I like the look and feel of the Denon, but sound wise they don't give that "ompf". The Bass becomes unclear and muddy and louder volumes. it's not that crystal clear sound that this coworkers Beats Studio has.

But most reviews on Youtube seem to say nay to Studio. To either go up to the Pro, which are very expenssive(like 350-400 USD) or go down to the Solo... but the solo are not full cup, and I am not sure that's good enough for me.

I've also thought about the iBeats in-ear. I'm going through 4-5 in ear buds every year. I've spend many hundreds of dollars.. they break so easy, with the cords getting lose. I've tried almost every brand out there, Phillips, Creative, Apple, Sennheiser, Sony, and many many others. They are just not durable, but I hear the Monster in-ear beats have these thick cords that don't tangle which should also be durable(?)... But those are expenssive. 100-150 USD on average.
I also saw there were some other in-ears designed by p diddy, justin beiber and lady gaga. They don't look all that interesting to me.

Alucrid

Banned
Vigilant Walrus said:
Does anyone here have the Beats by Dr. Dre?

I've spent half a day on reviews on these things. I never paid attention to them until a coworker blasted Kanye West - Monster" on his Beats Studio... I was really impressed by the Bas, and the loudness of it. He played them from his Iphone 4.

I have a Ipod Touch(generation 1, 2007) and a new Ipod Nano(6th gen I believe) and they have very low volume on my headsets(Denon AH D1100 and Sennheiser 215)...

Both these headsets are decent. I like the look and feel of the Denon, but sound wise they don't give that "ompf". The Bass becomes unclear and muddy and louder volumes. it's not that crystal clear sound that this coworkers Beats Studio has.

But most reviews on Youtube seem to say nay to Studio. To either go up to the Pro, which are very expenssive(like 350-400 USD) or go down to the Solo... but the solo are not full cup, and I am not sure that's good enough for me.

I've also thought about the iBeats in-ear. I'm going through 4-5 in ear buds every year. I've spend many hundreds of dollars.. they break so easy, with the cords getting lose. I've tried almost every brand out there, Phillips, Creative, Apple, Sennheiser, Sony, and many many others. They are just not durable, but I hear the Monster in-ear beats have these thick cords that don't tangle which should also be durable(?)... But those are expenssive. 100-150 USD on average.
I also saw there were some other in-ears designed by p diddy, justin beiber and lady gaga. They don't look all that interesting to me.

You're paying mostly for name. They're not bad headphones per say, but for what you're paying you could get better headphones for the same amount or headphones equally as good for 1/3 of what you'd pay. If you really want the looks, style and being able to say you have beats then buy 'em. If you want to save cash and get as good a listening experience with beats with headphones that cost way less you'll get plenty of recs.

HiRes, you should add in a "Want to buy Beats?" section in the OP, maybe give a rundown on them and then list a few suggestions in their place since it seems to be a pretty popular question around these parts.

Dammit :( My headphones gave out a couple days ago and now I'm stuck using cheap $10 ones that came with a portable DVD player I got several years ago. I refuse to use earbuds as they hurt my ears, but the ones I have to use now are almost just as god awful. Playing music loudly hurts my ears because it comes out as shrill and compressed.

These were the ones I had that broke:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000065BP9/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I know there are far better ones out there, but for being a broke college student I was happy with the quality for only having to pay $40. I'm considering buying the same pair again, but I figured I'd check here to see if there are any headphones that are in a similar price range that you guys would consider to be better quality.

I basically only listen to metal if that helps in giving recommendations. Pumping bass and being able to hear the blazing fast guitar work in a crisp manner are important

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Notrollious said:
*sigh* if it so pleases you...

[corrected]

Sennheiser HD 555's are $82 on Amazon. Good deal for those, or should I invest $70 more for a pair of HD595's?

At any rate, I'm looking for what you guys think.
Buy the HD 555, then do the (very easy) mod with turns them in to the HD 595.

K.Jack said:
Buy the HD 555, then do the (very easy) mod with turns them in to the HD 595.

Awesome. Thanks!

Oh wow, looked at how to mod it, and it's just 2 pieces of small foam type substance that separate the products by a hundred bucks or so...

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Yup. Grimy move on Sennheisers part. Remove the foam, and spent the extra dough on hookers a decent amp/DAC.

On that note, how much difference can you notice with an amp? I have a 64gb ipod touch that I use for music, and I'm kinda new to the whole audiophile business. I do know that the sound the ipod puts out isn't necessarily that great.

kevm3

Notrollious said:
On that note, how much difference can you notice with an amp? I have a 64gb ipod touch that I use for music, and I'm kinda new to the whole audiophile business. I do know that the sound the ipod puts out isn't necessarily that great.

If you have a higher end set of headphones, you can notice a tremendous difference with high quality amp and surrounding components.

Notrollious said:
The sound that the iPod outputs is completely attributed to its DAC, and amping its signal is just amping what's basically an average signal catering to portable phones. You'd benefit more from a stand alone DAC than an amp in this situation. As for amping, it depends on what type of phones you own. If the phones you own are high impedance or are hungry for current, they will not be driven anywhere near their full potential out of something like a portable. However, these are usually full sized, audiophile, enthusiast phones I'm referring to. Full sized phones such as the Beats are optimized for portable use anyhow. When it comes to DACs though, the general rule is that you have to spend more than a bit to get noticeable results as most midfi level DACs (such as those found in an above average receiver) tend to sound similar. However, if all you're used to is the headphone out of an iPod or a laptop, it will be very noticeable.

jett

D-Member
Notrollious said:
Awesome. Thanks!

Oh wow, looked at how to mod it, and it's just 2 pieces of small foam type substance that separate the products by a hundred bucks or so...

I recently got an HD555 and couldn't be happier with it, other than some comfortability issues at first(although the heapdhones are giving in by now). I have not done that mod, not sure what differences it brings. A youtube comment in a tutorial video scared me out of doing it, dude said he screwed up one of the drivers despite being super careful. :p Sounds awesome just it is to me anyway.

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
The sound that the iPod outputs is completely attributed to its DAC, and amping its signal is just amping what's basically an average signal catering to portable phones. You'd benefit more from a stand alone DAC than an amp in this situation. As for amping, it depends on what type of phones you own. If the phones you own are high impedance or are hungry for current, they will not be driven anywhere near their full potential out of something like a portable. However, these are usually full sized, audiophile, enthusiast phones I'm referring to. Full sized phones such as the Beats are optimized for portable use anyhow. When it comes to DACs though, the general rule is that you have to spend more than a bit to get noticeable results as most midfi level DACs (such as those found in an above average receiver) tend to sound similar. However, if all you're used to is the headphone out of an iPod or a laptop, it will be very noticeable.

Alright, I think I got that. If I wanted to get a stand alone DAC, typically at what price range do I start to see good returns?

jett said:
I recently got an HD555 and couldn't be happier with it, other than some comfortability issues at first(although the heapdhones are giving in by now). I have not done that mod, not sure what differences it brings. A youtube comment in a tutorial video scared me out of doing it, dude said he screwed up one of the drivers despite being super careful. :p Sounds awesome just it is to me anyway.

Well I've been used to over the ear headphones for a couple years now (had two pair of bose over the ears, yeah I know), so I'm not too worried about a break in time.

So I'm going to assume that for an $80 pair of headphones, they're well worth it? Cause that's what I paid.

The thing about the iPod is that there isn't a way to bypass its DAC. So you'd have to use your laptop or PC as your source. You can actually do quite well with HRT's Music Streamer II. I believe it's $150. It's very simple, and only has USB input. (A bunch of guys here will likely recommend the FiiO E7 though.)You can add an amp to the mix later. Generally, amp/DAC combos aren't that great as the DAC will generally be of much higher quality than the amp component, which will typically be quite average compared to stand alone amps.

jett

D-Member
Notrollious said:
Alright, I think I got that. If I wanted to get a stand alone DAC, typically at what price range do I start to see good returns?

Well I've been used to over the ear headphones for a couple years now (had two pair of bose over the ears, yeah I know), so I'm not too worried about a break in time.

So I'm going to assume that for an $80 pair of headphones, they're well worth it? Cause that's what I paid.

I paid more than that and they were worth it. Is this your first pair of decent headphones? They'll sound weird at first, but you'll soon realize the greatness.

Echoes

Got the following today.

ff63b

Marshall Major. Marshall Minor. Klipsch S4. Currently test-driving the Major and I'm pretty happy with it. Very small; classy; ultra-portable (for work and travel as I do both a lot). Update: I just listened to both David Garrett's Rock Symphony, and Britney Spears' Femme Fatale. There is no contest; the Denon wins with no efforts, even unamped. That obviously goes without saying for the pros in this thread, but the difference is noticeable even if you're not an audiophile. Plug Major, listen, unplug, plug D2000, and compare. It's pretty obvious. That, however, doesn't detract from the fact they're great. They're comfortable and unlike D2000, they don't entirely cover the ear. I like the sound, and while the difference is nights & day between it and my main cans (Denon) I can confidently say that they're worth their price for the following considerations in order: portability, style/aesthetics, size & weight, then sound. Sound comes last only because it's perfect in all those other aspects, and there are always compromises in sound when your main hit is anything but pure sound. (Look at Bose QC3 for example; terrific noise-cancelling but average sound. I have them in my house.)

It's really small and lightweight. Here is it in contrast to both the HDP and Denon 2000.

42ac2

1stStrike

Banned
Extollere said:

Yes, but is it worth paying for? Depends on your ears and taste. You can get the D7000's for about $550 - $600 if you call around and just make an offer so don't let the online prices put you off.

I really enjoyed my D2000's, but the D7000's are just a step up all around.

Alucrid

Banned
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
The thing about the iPod is that there isn't a way to bypass its DAC. So you'd have to use your laptop or PC as your source. You can actually do quite well with HRT's Music Streamer II. I believe it's $150. It's very simple, and only has USB input. (A bunch of guys here will likely recommend the FiiO E7 though.)You can add an amp to the mix later. Generally, amp/DAC combos aren't that great as the DAC will generally be of much higher quality than the amp component, which will typically be quite average compared to stand alone amps.

Check out the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 too it's only $50 but comes with a variety of input options that'll be great for PS3/360 use as well as computer audio.

HiResDes

sparky2112 said:
Quick question, as my Atrio M5 IEMs are going on 2 (or is it 3?) years old; I have never NOT loved them, but is there something (unamped) that I'm missing out on by sticking with these babies? In roughtly the same price range, of course...

EDIT: Ha! They're going on FOUR years old. Sheesh!

Maybe the Phiaton PS 200's, but honestly the M5's are so good that I think you should just stick with them until they die on you, unless you're looking for something with a completely different sound profile.

@Alucrid, thanks for the suggestion about the OP, and I plan to get it done by the end of the night...Hopefully it will cut down on the number of people we get popping into this thread asking about the goddamn Beats.

Ashhong

Ashhong said:
I turned on data and i hear the sound. It would be running off data instead of Wifi at the gym, so it seems that is the culprit. Still unusual? I guess my phone is constantly doing something with data and the feedback is coming through?

Need to know if I should contact the vendor for a replacement

Chao

Nobody told me you had turn down the PREAMP bar on iTunes to avoid clipping if you are using any kind of equalisation above 0. Now sounds more like it.

Alucrid said:
You're paying mostly for name. They're not bad headphones per say, but for what you're paying you could get better headphones for the same amount or headphones equally as good for 1/3 of what you'd pay. If you really want the looks, style and being able to say you have beats then buy 'em. If you want to save cash and get as good a listening experience with beats with headphones that cost way less you'll get plenty of recs.

HiRes, you should add in a "Want to buy Beats?" section in the OP, maybe give a rundown on them and then list a few suggestions in their place since it seems to be a pretty popular question around these parts.

Ok, thanks for the explanation, but would you say the same even for the In-Ear iBeats?

440x330-ibeats_2.jpg

Someone recently told me that the small Ipod Nano cant take advantage of good Headphones due to not having enough power to give to the driver. I wonder what that means.

HiResDes

That's bullshit, most IEMs are easy as hell to drive...And yes the same goes for the iBeats, for $100 you could yourself some incredible IEMs, not ones that can barely stand toe to toe with the $20 M9.

...BTW, you should really read the OP.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Just picked up a Sennheiser HD595 on the cheap. I haven't had much time with them, but even without much breaking in, I'm loving them. Very comfortable, and it basically sounds just like my old HD580, but better, if that makes any sense.

Which means my old HD580 will become my permanent office/travel set. Fun fun.

Has anyone tried Astro Gaming's Mixamp 5.8 system? It basically takes in any TOSlink input and wirelessly transmits it to this portable receiver you can plug any headset into. Supports up to Dolby 7.1/Headphone Surround.

It seems like a good solution for playing quietly in a room with my cans on. I just wonder if the quality is up to par?

Edit: Thinking about it, both of my Senns are low-impedence (~50 Ohms IIRC). I use the FiiO E7 as an amp, but since the Mixamp only has TOSlink in/3.5mm out, I'm going to need an adaptor or something to filter it through the E7 aren't I? Or would the headphone amp be overkill with the Mixamp?

*sighs*

This is going to take a trip to head-fi.org isn't it?

Ashhong

Any good IEMs either around 20$ or 50$ (not sure how much I want to spend) that have a mic and music controls?

And still need advice on that E5 =P should I demand an exchange?

HiResDes

Ashhong said:
Any good IEMs either around 20$ or 50$ (not sure how much I want to spend) that have a mic and music controls?

And still need advice on that E5 =P should I demand an exchange?

All Meelectronic headphones can be had with a Mic and music controls, just look for the P versions on their website...I'd get these in that price range

And I don't know what to tell you about the E5, as it might not be anything wrong with the unit itself...Maybe it simply doesn't work very well with how you're applying it. IDK, *shrugs*

Ashhong

HiResDes said:
All Meelectronic headphones can be had with a Mic and music controls, just look for the P versions on their website...I'd get these in that price range

And I don't know what to tell you about the E5, as it might not be anything wrong with the unit itself...Maybe it simply doesn't work very well with how you're applying it. IDK, *shrugs*

Oh nice, those headphones look perfect thanks. I hope the mic and controls work on my phone, since its not using a stock Android software. But either way they gotta be a step up from my CX300
KuGsj.gif

I think I'm just going to demand an exchange on the E5. If the same problem occurs then I'll know its just my phone. No big, can still use it with my laptop and phone with data off.

Ashhong

HiResDes said:
The CX300 don't sound that bad, they're okay...I just don't like all the noise the cord generates from any sudden movement

I never thought that was a CX300 problem, I thought that was just something that comes with IEMs since your hearing is so isolated. I'll be glad to get rid of that, as I use it at the gym.

Did you have a post previously comparing the budget MEE line? Thinking of cheaping out and getting the M9 or the M16 instead and save some money.

HiResDes

M16 are decent, M9 are good, M21 are great...Plus the M9P didn't come with iPhone/iPod controls like how I believe the M21P does

Ashhong

HiResDes said:
M16 are decent, M9 are good, M21 are great...Plus the M9P didn't come with iPhone/iPod controls like how I believe the M21P does

Well the site says anything with P has the same compatibility with all phones. So the M9 > M16? I guess I'll have to decide if I want to cheap out or not.

Alucrid

Banned
BreakyBoy said:
Just picked up a Sennheiser HD595 on the cheap. I haven't had much time with them, but even without much breaking in, I'm loving them. Very comfortable, and it basically sounds just like my old HD580, but better, if that makes any sense.

Which means my old HD580 will become my permanent office/travel set. Fun fun.

Has anyone tried Astro Gaming's Mixamp 5.8 system? It basically takes in any TOSlink input and wirelessly transmits it to this portable receiver you can plug any headset into. Supports up to Dolby 7.1/Headphone Surround.

It seems like a good solution for playing quietly in a room with my cans on. I just wonder if the quality is up to par?

Edit: Thinking about it, both of my Senns are low-impedence (~50 Ohms IIRC). I use the FiiO E7 as an amp, but since the Mixamp only has TOSlink in/3.5mm out, I'm going to need an adaptor or something to filter it through the E7 aren't I? Or would the headphone amp be overkill with the Mixamp?

*sighs*

This is going to take a trip to head-fi.org isn't it?

So you want a DAC/Dac&preamp I guess.

Top Bottom