• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Dilbert

Traded in a 22.4 pound bag of change (!!!) for various gift certificates via Coinstar...the Amazon ones turned into a pair of CC51s for travel and a pair of HT-21s for my desk at work. Haven't opened the HT-21s yet, but I'm trying out the CC51s right now after letting them burn in for about 8 hrs last night while I was out.

Initial impressions compared to my previous Apple In-Ear headphones: CC51 bass absolutely blows away the ADDIEMs, even though the CC51 doesn't have a reputation for being bassy. Treble seems nice and clear; not sure how I feel yet about the mid-range, which seems more recessed. (Then again, I'm randomly going through a playlist of songs that I know well which highlight different characteristics, and I haven't gotten to ones that would showcase mid/treble yet.) Comfort level is about the same so far -- I'm using the stock medium single-flange tips, and they fit about the same as the other ones I had. I'm driving them just fine off a MacBook Pro, and will give them a tryout from my iPhone on a plane this week, so we'll see how that goes. Only minor gripe so far is that you can't tell L from R in low-light situations, but if I decide to keep them (almost a certainty) then I will mark the R cable in some way so that it's more obvious.

I'm excited to try out the HT-21s too, but that is about a week away since I'll be out of the office. Decided on them as an alternative to PX-200 IIs since they were way cheaper -- just hoping they do sound better than stock iBuds with foamies, which are surprisingly OK.

Echoes

Extollere said:
Awesome! How does it sound? I've had my eye on the HDP for a while, but I guess I'd need a better pair of headphones first, before it makes any difference.
I'm in utter and absolute love. I'm no audiophile and this is my first amp (I don't even know what an amp or DAC is, I just know that it makes the sound better; I'm that noobish).

However, I can definitely hear the difference. It's as if I'm hearing organized layers of music; bass, vocals, etc all sound in perfect harmony to each other. I got them yesterday, and today while listening to Rihanna's Loud with my Beats Tour at work, man, I never thought I would hate them. The sound was a little bit annoying. It's not that I can remember the HDP sound in contrast to any other on the fly, but unorganized layers were immediately noticeable to my ear.

mr stroke

Echoes said:
photomar2743509am2b9e81.png

OMG. I love it.

which Dennon's are those and how are the sound quality of Dennon Headphones in general?
(Love their receivers but never tried their speakers or Headphones)

mr stroke said:
which Dennon's are those and how are the sound quality of Dennon Headphones in general?
(Love their receivers but never tried their speakers or Headphones)
Denon D2000.

They are amazing for the price. Not portable. So awesome.

<3 Denon + NuForce Icon / HDP.

Echoes

Oh, thanks a LOT for the recommendation. I'm having so much fun with this.

Couple of questions though:

- Any preferred EQ or should I stay with Flat? (currently this)

- Currently, the iMac volume is at max, and I'm controlling the volume through the HDP. I assume this is the right way?

Ashhong

Echoes said:
Oh, thanks a LOT for the recommendation. I'm having so much fun with this.

Couple of questions though:

- Any preferred EQ or should I stay with Flat? (currently this)

- Currently, the iMac volume is at max, and I'm controlling the volume through the HDP. I assume this is the right way?

I could have sworn someone said to keep the source at around 40%

X-Frame

Not sure if this has been asked before, but what Equalizer setting does everyone use for when they have their headphones on in iTunes?

I'm trying to play around with what'll take advantage of good headphones and can't seem to find anything.

HiResDes

X-Frame said:
Okay so am I supposed to move the sliders in iTunes to mirror that graph?

Appreciate the help.
Do you want to try and make for the headphones weaknesses or do you want to emphasize the strengths?

X-Frame

HiResDes said:
Do you want to try and make for the headphones weaknesses or do you want to emphasize the strengths?

I guess I should try both ways to see which I like better.

What do you/most people do?

HiResDes

I try to make up for the biggest weaknesses of my DT770's, but only because they're so highly imbalanced (but in the way that i prefer lol).

X-Frame

HiResDes said:
I try to make up for the biggest weaknesses of my DT770's, but only because they're so highly imbalanced (but in the way that i prefer lol).

Gotcha. So if I want to play with my headphone's strengths I should mirror the graph, or if I want to bring up it's weaknesses I need to invert it?

Okay guys quick question. After 4 years of service, my BOSE quietcomfort 3 headphones broke. I have the option of spending a 100 dollars and getting them replaced with a new pair qc-15.

Or I can get a new pair from another brand. I have been looking around but need some advice. I want something I can wear on the train and bus and quiet the world around me a bit.

However, at the same time I don't want to break the bank. I would be willing to go a little over 100 if the improvement was much better than the qc-15. I would also use them on my home computer of course.

The_Inquisitor said:
Okay guys quick question. After 4 years of service, my BOSE quietcomfort 3 headphones broke. I have the option of spending a 100 dollars and getting them replaced with a new pair qc-15.

Or I can get a new pair from another brand. I have been looking around but need some advice. I want something I can wear on the train and bus and quiet the world around me a bit.

However, at the same time I don't want to break the bank. I would be willing to go a little over 100 if the improvement was much better than the qc-15. I would also use them on my home computer of course.
How do you feel about IEMs?

HiResDes

X-Frame said:
Gotcha. So if I want to play with my headphone's strengths I should mirror the graph, or if I want to bring up it's weaknesses I need to invert it?
Yes exactly, but remember this: Always EQ Down, as in starting with 0 as your highest, as to avoid distortion.

HiResDes

The_Inquisitor said:

Audio Technica M50's are back down to $115, which are probably going to be your best bet.

HiResDes said:
Audio Technica M50's are back down to $115, which are probably going to be your best bet.
How much better are we talking in terms of audio quality, durability, and noise dampening compared to the qc15? I know everything is better than Bose. My past pair were a gift. Just would love to know if the 15 bucks makes a huge difference

HiResDes

Dilbert said:
Traded in a 22.4 pound bag of change (!!!) for various gift certificates via Coinstar...the Amazon ones turned into a pair of CC51s for travel and a pair of HT-21s for my desk at work. Haven't opened the HT-21s yet, but I'm trying out the CC51s right now after letting them burn in for about 8 hrs last night while I was out.

Initial impressions compared to my previous Apple In-Ear headphones: CC51 bass absolutely blows away the ADDIEMs, even though the CC51 doesn't have a reputation for being bassy. Treble seems nice and clear; not sure how I feel yet about the mid-range, which seems more recessed. (Then again, I'm randomly going through a playlist of songs that I know well which highlight different characteristics, and I haven't gotten to ones that would showcase mid/treble yet.) Comfort level is about the same so far -- I'm using the stock medium single-flange tips, and they fit about the same as the other ones I had. I'm driving them just fine off a MacBook Pro, and will give them a tryout from my iPhone on a plane this week, so we'll see how that goes. Only minor gripe so far is that you can't tell L from R in low-light situations, but if I decide to keep them (almost a certainty) then I will mark the R cable in some way so that it's more obvious.

I'm excited to try out the HT-21s too, but that is about a week away since I'll be out of the office. Decided on them as an alternative to PX-200 IIs since they were way cheaper -- just hoping they do sound better than stock iBuds with foamies, which are surprisingly OK.
Oh man that's awesome, I somehow missed this post...Glad to see someone else enjoying phones recommended from here, especially from the great MEElectronics line. : )
MEElectronics has some of the best bang for you buck stuff on the market for sure. Oh and I must say what a nice little writeup.

Extollere said:
I'm gonna take a leap and say that 15 bucks would definitely be worth it.
So the Only difference is that I'll be losing active noise cancellation? That's okay because I know active noise cancellation results in some loss correct?

Ah fuck I have only 1100 in my account to last me 2 more months. But I miss having decent headphones aaggghhjh.

I want to hear my tron legacy soundtrack the way it was meant to be heard.

Okay what if I was willing to go up to 150?

I need something that will last for a few years and take daily use. I think I would prefer closed, but I would be "open" to open if the sound is truly superior.

I'm looking for audio quality and durability versus cost. In other words, I don't think I can afford to have wood :p .

HiResDes

The_Inquisitor said:
Okay what if I was willing to go up to 150?

I need something that will last for a few years and take daily use. I think I would prefer closed, but I would be "open" to open if the sound is truly superior.

I'm looking for audio quality and durability versus cost. In other words, I don't think I can afford to have wood :p .

You could get these for $150, Ultrasone HFI-580, but they're not wholly superior to the M50's only in certain aspects.

HiResDes

Comfort Edge > M50
Isolation Edge > 580
Midrange Edge > M50
Treble Edge > 580
Bass Edge > 580
Durability > Push

...You're not going to regret either purchase, but the M50 is definitely the safer bet given that some people find the 580's to be uncomfortable.

I'd be wearing my pair for up to 4-5 hours a day at work, and for 80 minutes during commutes in addition to home use. Okay, think I will take the M50s. Thanks guys. I am really excited.

HiResDes said:
Okay stop everything, if you're willing to go open AKG 240's are on sale for $130...The greatest deal maybe ever!

Comfort Edge > M50
Isolation Edge > 580
Midrange Edge > M50
Treble Edge > 580
Bass Edge > 580
Durability > Push

...You're not going to regret either purchase, but the M50 is definitely the safer bet given that some people find the 580's to be uncomfortable.

Can I get this comparison again with this chart? Haha

As I understand, opens leak noise more to the outside by their design. Is that really the only stipulation?

Okay stop everything, if you're willing to go open AKG 240's are on sale for $130...The greatest deal maybe ever!...Well unless you like bass, lol
]

I actually using the bass reducer EQ on my iphone right now because my Nike sports headphones are overpowering everything if I don't have it on.

HiResDes

The_Inquisitor said:
Can I get this comparison again with this chart? Haha

As I understand, opens leak noise more to the outside by their design. Is that really the only stipulation?

Comfort > M50 (closer maybe though, lol)
Isolation > HFI-580 (not really fair)
Treble > AKG 240 (very close with the 580)
Bass > HFI- 580
Mids > AKG 240
Durability > 580+M50

...Not shown on the previous chart is soundstage, the AKG 240's have lackluster instrument separation...Thought I should warn you about that

TheExodu5

Banned
^The HFI-580 have by far the best instrument separation out of those three. Yeah, the K240 weren't too great in that regard.

The_Inquisitor said:
So you would say that's the biggest trade between the 50s and the 240s?

They're completely different headphones and don't really sound anything alike. The K240 are more well rounded, but many people will find they sound rather thin compared to the M50. Personally, I prefer the K240, but many people won't. When I want to listen to house music or something else bassy, the K240 don't quite cut it. They really shine with acoustic material, IMO.

quin

I was taking a shower this morning when i heard a knock on the door. At first I just ignored it thinking it was the NHK lady but a man shout "Yamamoto unyu des" and got excited. I wrapped a towel around myself and went to the door. My LCD-2s had arrived! It was completely unexpected. Five days after my payment they had arrived at my door in Japan.
Unfortunately, I haven't ordered either my amp or my DAC yet so they are plugged directly into my computer at the moment. They sound great now and I suppose when I do finally choose my amp and DAC I will be treated to another nice surprise!!!
Audeze has been a wonderful company to work with!!!

Echoes

HiResDes said:
Okay stop everything, if you're willing to go open AKG 240's are on sale for $130...The greatest deal maybe ever!...Well unless you like bass, lol
Bought. How do they compare with Denon 2000, and would they sound great with the HDP?

The_Inquisitor said:
Just ordered the ATH-M50. I'm stoked.
I doubt you'll be disappointed. I love mine. Though I might give those Ultrasone's HiRes talks about so much a try at some point.

Echoes said:
Bought. How do they compare with Denon 2000, and would they sound great with the HDP?
I can't speak for the 240's, but I had a pair of D2000s for a year before upgrading a bit.

They sound fantastic, first of all. Detailed highs, serious bass, recessed mids.

With a NuForce Icon, the detailed highs will be less harsh when loud, mids will come out more and the soundstage will widen noticeably.

You'll love them.

HiResDes

Echoes said:
They are an entirely different animal, they don't have a quarter of the bass of the Denon's, but focus on clean, crisp mids and treble. AKG's are known for a sort of cold, analytical sound.

Ashhong

So I tried using my E5 today with my phone at the gym for the first time. Nonstop whine from my headphones, like the kind you hear from your speaker when a cell phone starts ringing. What the hell? I know it could do that once in a while...but it just kept going and going. Might have to return this.

Dont hear any noise without the E5.

edit: testing it at home now and it doesnt make the sound...something to do with the gym? weird.

exarkun

So I have about a 100 to use to purchase and I read the OP and the next few pages. I can maybe go up to 140. I listen to alooot of music but mostly used IEM's. I have the turbines (got em on sale) and they have been awesome but I am looking for over the ear headphones now. I listen to alot of hip hop, jazz, rock, house, trance and instrumentals.

A friend recommended the Sennheiser 595's but then I saw the 555's on sale for 81... Are the 595's worth the extra 60 dollars?

Finally, I kinda wanted the headphones to look good but I guess I can sacrifice aesthetic for sound quality. Any help would be appreciated!

Top Bottom