• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

exarkun

I just got my first cans (thank you Hi-res) and its pretty...amazing. I've only had them for an hour or two, but my god its like I'm swimming in the sounds. And its not like I'm hearing stuff I hadn't heard before, but its like with my IEM's the sounds was compressed a bit while these headphones just lazily spreads out the music and accentuates the stuff I was hearing before to an amazing degree. Only problem is the clamp, but I'm getting used to that. That and when new songs come on from new genres its like a new sensation so its a subtle distraction from my work.

I'm in fucking love. Better than sex even, right now.

exarkun said:
I just got my first cans (thank you Hi-res) and its pretty...amazing. I've only had them for an hour or two, but my god its like I'm swimming in the sounds. And its not like I'm hearing stuff I hadn't heard before, but its like with my IEM's the sounds was compressed a bit while these headphones just lazily spreads out the music and accentuates the stuff I was hearing before to an amazing degree. Only problem is the clamp, but I'm getting used to that. That and when new songs come on from new genres its like a new sensation so its a subtle distraction from my work.

I'm in fucking love. Better than sex even, right now.
Cool. What phones did you get?

exarkun

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Cool. What phones did you get?

Ultrasone HFI 580's

And they are melting my face a little with the bass. The only thing, I keep thinking I might be hearing a bit of a rattle in the right ear. Gonna get back to listening to determine it.

Oh my god. My ATH-M50's are coming tomorrow. I have a huge interview in the morning and then these to look forward to.

Oh my god, so many emotions over tomorrow lol.

LegoArmo

Don't hate me guys, but I bought the Beats when they were released a few years back (based on name alone, I admit), and I quite like the sound, I mean, I can tell the highs aren't great but that's about the only problem I've had with them sound wise.

The problem I am having is with build quality, they're basically falling apart and I'm looking for something to replace them.

What kind of headphones in the £300 price range (could go higher) would be a significant upgrade on these? I assume with all the hate they receive I can get something pretty decent for that price.

No preference regarding open or closed, and they'll mainly be used at home with my PC so being portable isn't a real issue. I listen to a lot of hip-hop, some pop, softer rock stuff and acoustic, love my bass, if that matters. Oh and buying batteries every month is deadly annoying, so I'd like to cut that out.

Thanks for any suggestions.

HiResDes

LegoArmo said:
Don't hate me guys, but I bought the Beats when they were released a few years back (based on name alone, I admit), and I quite like the sound, I mean, I can tell the highs aren't great but that's about the only problem I've had with them sound wise.

The problem I am having is with build quality, they're basically falling apart and I'm looking for something to replace them.

What kind of headphones in the £300 price range (could go higher) would be a significant upgrade on these? I assume with all the hate they receive I can get something pretty decent for that price.

No preference regarding open or closed, and they'll mainly be used at home with my PC so being portable isn't a real issue. I listen to a lot of hip-hop, some pop, softer rock stuff and acoustic, love my bass, if that matters. Oh and buying batteries every month is deadly annoying, so I'd like to cut that out.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Beyerdynamic DT990's (Open) or Denon AH-D2000 (Closed)

TheExodu5

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
hey HiRes,

I see the Ultrasone 680s are only $15 more than the 580s. What's up with that? Is there something wrong with the 680s?

580/680/780 are all kind of a different flavor of the same thing.

The 580 used to be considerably cheaper than the 780...and now it's the other way around. I wouldn't really equate price to quality in this case.

Alucrid

Banned
HiResDes said:
It's there....

I got this.

zero margin said:
Maybe I'm a dumbass but what are the best IEM's didn't see it in the OP.

Just been using sennheiser 202's but need more portable.

Senn IE8, Westone 3/4, Earsonics SM3, Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10, Ortofone eQ7, ATH Ck-10. Take your pick.

TheExodu5 said:
580/680/780 are all kind of a different flavor of the same thing.

The 580 used to be considerably cheaper than the 780...and now it's the other way around. I wouldn't really equate price to quality in this case.
understood.

HiResDes said:
That's bullshit, most IEMs are easy as hell to drive...And yes the same goes for the iBeats, for $100 you could yourself some incredible IEMs, not ones that can barely stand toe to toe with the $20 M9.

...BTW, you should really read the OP.

Thanks for answering the question. I did read the OP.

I think many of these are difficult to obtain in Europe:/

It's also difficult to really get a sense of what is worth compared to what one already have, and people have different measurements.. supposedly some people get much better sound after dealing with equalizers and such, but for the people who just want great sound by just plugging it in?

I also think it's hard to find stuff that is borth worth the money AND attractive. it seems everything that looks nice is apparently shit quality.. Not that this is related exclusively to headphones thou.

I heard the Shure(those for 700-800ish USD) in that transparent look have a good clear bas, but that's a lot of money just to get sound.

I've also been looking at the AH-C710(Denon) as I found a store were I could physically try them.. I don't know.

Denons design looks nice, and last time I had to get some full headphones I got the AH-D1100, as they were kinda budget priced, but honestly I didn't felt the sound quality was that special. The bas does not feel powerful, so rap, metal, rock and dubstep is kinda hollow:( they look nice though and are sturdy.

its just weird that the beats could provide a much better Bas, and much louder.

Mordeccai

Hey gaf, first time buying some legitimate head phones here, looking for some advice. It shouldn't be too hard to impress me, because all I've used my entire life has been Skull Candy ear buds, and I can't take foreign objects being inserted into my ears any more!

I can't spend more than a hundred dollars on them, so there's my price range. As for what kind of music I listen to, it varies from classical to death metal, only musical genre I totally avoid is rap. So I'm not going to need some headphones with ridiculous bass, haha.

I was looking at the Numark PHX headphones, so so reviews on Amazon, but the price is pretty nice I feel. I'd prefer to have closed phones, as I'll be wearing them around campus and such and don't think many people would appreciate hearing my music blaring. My roomie has a pair of Grado's and the sound quality is very nice, but I can't stand the leaking sound!

HiResDes

Plenty of people here are more qualified to talk about them me...But from my understanding while they definitely benefit from an amp they sound surprisingly decent without one.

Hey guys, I have been looking at getting a new set of cans. My budget is about £100, but I get a 40% discount on anything from Sony so the budget for Sony is around £180.

I mostly listen to indie, rock and electro if that helps. Any ideas?

HiResDes

Vigilant Walrus said:
Thanks for answering the question. I did read the OP.

I think many of these are difficult to obtain in Europe:/

It's also difficult to really get a sense of what is worth compared to what one already have, and people have different measurements.. supposedly some people get much better sound after dealing with equalizers and such, but for the people who just want great sound by just plugging it in?

I also think it's hard to find stuff that is borth worth the money AND attractive. it seems everything that looks nice is apparently shit quality.. Not that this is related exclusively to headphones thou.

I heard the Shure(those for 700-800ish USD) in that transparent look have a good clear bas, but that's a lot of money just to get sound.

I've also been looking at the AH-C710(Denon) as I found a store were I could physically try them.. I don't know.

Denons design looks nice, and last time I had to get some full headphones I got the AH-D1100, as they were kinda budget priced, but honestly I didn't felt the sound quality was that special. The bas does not feel powerful, so rap, metal, rock and dubstep is kinda hollow:( they look nice though and are sturdy.

its just weird that the beats could provide a much better Bas, and much louder.

If you're looking for IEMS with a good amount of bass I would recommend either the Brainwavz M2 or Fischer Audio Eterna Rev. 1, both of which can be shipped to Europe.

If you're willing to go all out and spend a lot of money - Radius DDM, Panasonic HJE900, Phiaton PS200, and Future Sonic Atrio M5 all have excellent bass

LegoArmo said:
Thanks, I really like the look of the Denons, plus from what I've read people seem to like them.

Would they need an amp?
nope. but at some point down the road, you'll want one, as it can really enhance the sound.

HiResDes

Alright guys wanna hear something crazy...I just sold my DT770's for $140, and picked up a new pair of DT770's for $170 and I couldn't be happier...I went from the 80OHM version to the 250OHM and they sound like a slight upgrade in every facet except bass quantity. The DT770 250OHM are like a more mature, more debonair version of the 80 OHM LOL. They're fucking great. And yes I'm fucking nuts.

Edit: How is possible that the soundstage is even better...SMH

TheExodu5

Banned
Tinnitus stopped again! Hopefully for good this time...fingers crossed!

I'm going to give it 2 weeks. If it doesn't come back, I'm putting in the order for the LCD-2 (already through the waiting list...just need to give them my money).

HiResDes

Mad jealous...That's tremendously exciting. Those are supposedly end all cans, as in this could potentially be your final upgrade. : )

HiResDes said:
Mad jealous...That's tremendously exciting. Those are supposedly end all cans, as in this could potentially be your final upgrade. : )

Haha, that's kind of how I feel. I was talking to a guy at work on friday about mine and I figured I wouldn't really need to ever buy another pair of headphones again after the LCD-2s. Y'know unless I decide to get Stax or something but I seriously doubt I'll ever do that.

Good to hear the tinnitus is gone Exodus, I'm excited for you :)

HiResDes said:
lol, judging by the number of LCD-2's put up for sale on Head-Fi over the last several months, I doubt it. The road of the audiophile is never ending, there's always that new phone that comes out that does something different for you to lust over lol

Also, a lot of headphone audiophiles end up graduating to speaker systems and... yeah... that's a whole different ballgame :l

Alucrid

Banned
HiResDes said:
Alright guys wanna hear something crazy...I just sold my DT770's for $140, and picked up a new pair of DT770's for $170 and I couldn't be happier...I went from the 80OHM version to the 250OHM and they sound like a slight upgrade in every facet except bass quantity. The DT770 250OHM are like a more mature, more debonair version of the 80 OHM LOL. They're fucking great. And yes I'm fucking nuts.

Edit: How is possible that the soundstage is even better...SMH

Maybe your amp works better with higher impedance headphones?

lol, judging by the number of LCD-2's put up for sale on Head-Fi over the last several months, I doubt it. The road of the audiophile is never ending, there's always that new phone that comes out that does something different for you to lust over lol

Also, a lot of headphone audiophiles end up graduating to speaker systems and... yeah... that's a whole different ballgame :l

I have the whole headphone and speaker upgrades charted in my head. The only thing missing is the absurd amount of money needed. :lol

Alucrid said:
I have the whole headphone and speaker upgrades charted in my head. The only thing missing is the absurd amount of money needed. :lol

Hahaha, exactly! God what I wouldn't give to hear some of those 150k+ floor standing speaker setups they've got over at 6Moons, some of the sources they review alone cost like 40k haha...

Hey, Headphone-GAF:

I just recently found out that Etymotic discontinued the ER6i model. I was wondering what a good replacement for them would be? I like their sound (for travel/gym) and the fit of the tri-flange earbuds (small ears).

Ceres

Banned
Lv99 Slacker said:
Hey, Headphone-GAF:

I just recently found out that Etymotic discontinued the ER6i model. I was wondering what a good replacement for them would be? I like their sound (for travel/gym) and the fit of the tri-flange earbuds (small ears).

I've got a pair of those that I don't use if you want a set.

I know MEElectronics offer tri-flange earbuds but not sure how the sound compares.

B3ASTMODE

So my old headphones where destroyed by my niece about a week ago (Nixon Trooper), so I was in the market for some new headphones. after some research the internet pointed me towards the Samson SR850 since they where supposed to be pretty good for the price range i was looking for ($30-50). Received them today and they are definitely the best i have ever owned. so far have listened to them for about an hour.

23wwm5y.jpg

fw3xjl.jpg

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
B3ASTMODE said:
So my old headphones where destroyed by my niece about a week ago (Nixon Trooper), so I was in the market for some new headphones. after some research the internet pointed me towards the Samson SR850 since they where supposed to be pretty good for the price range i was looking for ($30-50). Received them today and they are definitely the best i have ever owned. so far have listened to them for about an hour.

23wwm5y.jpg

fw3xjl.jpg

I heard those are based off the awesome but rare Superlux 668b. I'll need to look into getting a pair as i've been trying to track down 668bs.

My Sennheiser HD 202's broke last week, and these shitty $10 ones I'm having to use until I can afford another pair are driving me crazy. I was considering just buying the 202's again, but I've heard really good things about the Sennheiser HD555's. I'm wondering though if they are REALLY worth the extra $45. If the jump in sound quality is that significant then I have no problem waiting a few extra weeks and shelling out some extra money for them since I listen to music through headphones 2-4 hours a day, but I just want to make sure I'm not paying for more than I'm getting

Thanks!

Alucrid

Banned
Hahaha, exactly! God what I wouldn't give to hear some of those 150k+ floor standing speaker setups they've got over at 6Moons, some of the sources they review alone cost like 40k haha...

40k is like x8 the amount of everything I want. Jeeze.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Mr. Paer said:
My Sennheiser HD 202's broke last week, and these shitty $10 ones I'm having to use until I can afford another pair are driving me crazy. I was considering just buying the 202's again, but I've heard really good things about the Sennheiser HD555's. I'm wondering though if they are REALLY worth the extra $45. If the jump in sound quality is that significant then I have no problem waiting a few extra weeks and shelling out some extra money for them since I listen to music through headphones 2-4 hours a day, but I just want to make sure I'm not paying for more than I'm getting

Thanks!
Yes, it's worth it.

The HD202 sound like shit in comparison.

TheExodu5

Banned
The ultra high-end gear out there is kind of laughable. I mean, DACs are not extraordinarily difficult to make. Do you think the build cost of that is anywhere near 25k? I'd imagine the markup of some high-end gear is nearing Monster Cable territory.

Master clocks are also hilariously expensive. They sell 192KHz master clocks for ridiculous sums of money. An easy way to figure out this is bogus: just look at CPUs. My CPU is running with a clock speed of 4.5GHz. A 4.5GHz clock could produce a 192KHz clock with incredible accuracy.

I've taken that into account, but who knows what hi end speakers are capable of picking up in the signal chain. I'm certainly not going to draw any conclusions until I've heard the stuff in question.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Vigilant Walrus said:
Ok, thanks for the explanation, but would you say the same even for the In-Ear iBeats?

440x330-ibeats_2.jpg

Someone recently told me that the small Ipod Nano cant take advantage of good Headphones due to not having enough power to give to the driver. I wonder what that means.

I use iBeats with my iPhone daily at work and it works fine. I will say that build quality is the main attraction for me with them. I have had them for a few months and they still look brand new. Sound quality isn't bad at all and the in-cable controls are a great addition.

punkypine

i'm a little dissapointed with the ATH-M50's that i bought last week. They sound nice, i like the build quality, and everything is good about them... except they start to hurt the tips of my ears after just a couple of hours (the top part of my ear). anyone else have this problem? will it get better over time when the headphones are broken in?

HiResDes

AwesomeSauce said:
I heard those are based off the awesome but rare Superlux 668b. I'll need to look into getting a pair as i've been trying to track down 668bs.
Yeah those look just like the Superlux, nice pickup indeed.

I'm planning to grab a pair of Steelseries Siberia v2 headphones, the one that includes the sound card. I'll be using it mostly for gaming, but good audio output when listening to music is a must for me as well. What do you guys think about it?

Top Bottom