• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

outunderthestars said:
A good point. Something about them just seemed a bit overpriced, but I know nothing about headphones. :)
IMO, they are greatly overpriced at $300 or whatever.

most any can in the OP over $125 will best them based on my experience with the P5's in an Apple Store.

The P5's are almost as bad as Bose On-Ear's, IMO. Better as a fashion accessory than a premium listening product. A big step down from their standing floor speaker technology.

elrechazao said:
can I get an earbud or iem recommendation - rather not spend more than 50, but less is preferable. My main concern is ear fit. I run with them and other stuff, and my crappy earbuds that I spend 9 bucks on fall out all the time.
any tips?

HiResDes

K.Jack said:
The E11 pushes a ridiculous amount of power, and can easily drive most any IEM

You really need to add the RE2 to your knowledge base.
I'm getting the Sunrise SW-XCape's next, well if anything happens to my Eterna Rev.2's

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
HiResDes said:
I'm getting the Sunrise SW-XCape's next, well if anything happens to my Eterna Rev.2's
It's only that I feel you need to experience what the Head-Direct RE2 brings to the sub-$50 range of IEMs.

But it looks like it's been discontinued.

isny

napkin dispenser
Been using these for years, but they don't seem to be available for cheap anymore. (I used to pay $15 or less per pair)

They only last me 6+ months per pair, so I'm looking for another in ear alternative, even something closer to $50ish. (Something that will last longer...yes I know I could send them in for warranty, but I'd rather just have a good pair that will last awhile)

Sanchito

K.Jack said:
The E11 pushes a ridiculous amount of power, and can easily drive most any IEM

Thanks! I guess I was wondering if the difference would be great enough to justify the price of the E11? The IE6's are my first "higher end" ear phones I've ever bought. I really love the sound they put out.

Geneijin said:
To anyone who was waiting on the M50, they're at $125 right now on Amazon.

Last sale was a few weeks ago at $116.
Just wanted to put out my own recommendation. I got these for $120 and I don't regret them at all.

They are probably the best sub $150 deal you can get in audio.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Ok Gaf, what are some of the best headphones to get if you have got £150/$300 to spend that's great for PC (and console gaming)?

LCfiner

elrechazao said:
any tips?

Part of the reason you may not have gotten specific recommendations is because you’re very concerned with fit and that is such personal thing as all our ear shapes are different. it’s very hard to say that one IEM will be comfortable for someone else just because it’s comfortable for me.

all I can offer is that you’d probably want an IEM over an earbud and that you should look around for a set that has lots and lots of tip options or is compatible with, say, foam plugs from comply or shure olive tips. that might give you the fit you want.

Davidion

Alucrid said:
I'm in a crisis and don't know if I should sell my WA6 and HD650s or not.

I'm sure you can find an interested buyer here for them if it comes to that, though it's hard to say if you SHOULD without the details of the situation.
PM me if you're getting rid of the 650s

Alucrid

Banned
Davidion said:
I'm sure you can find an interested buyer here for them if it comes to that, though it's hard to say if you SHOULD without the details of the situation.
PM me if you're getting rid of the 650s

It's not a "I have nothing to eat and need to sell this shit" but more like a "I'm not getting as much use out of these as I should and if I sell them I could get a new sub, but maybe later on I might be more inclined to use them, so I'm not sure what to do" kinda thing.

Davidion

Alucrid said:
It's not a "I have nothing to eat and need to sell this shit" but more like a "I'm not getting as much use out of these as I should and if I sell them I could get a new sub, but maybe later on I might be more inclined to use them, so I'm not sure what to do" kinda thing.

I only know the WA6 by reputation but I've read that it's a pretty good fit for the 650. I'd say keep them unless you think you're going to abandon home headphone listening altogether or if you have a better step up alternative, because it sounds like it's a solid combination.

FoxSpirit

AKG's best buds can be gotten for €40 from some legit places. Great value. As are the MX880, which cost about the same and have better bass.
I heard the MX980 but no way I'll spring thrice the cash as for the next lower model.

I just have to say, I bought a pair of Skullcandy headphones (the biggest ones, not sure what they're called) since they were on sale for $40. They were pretty decent sound quality for the price, BUT they did not last long at all. Like a month and a half.. Don't buy them lol.

Nelo Ice

Banned
so is it worth returning the hd555s i just got and taking what looks like a $5.88 hit(paid a with a gift card too) and getting the m50s for $127? im mostly going to be using either headphoens for gaming and general all around usage like listening to music watching movies/tv shows etc

K.Jack

Eh, the M50 has better bass, but worse everything else.

Speaking personally, I wouldn't make that trade.
Sanchito said:
Thanks! I guess I was wondering if the difference would be great enough to justify the price of the E11? The IE6's are my first "higher end" ear phones I've ever bought. I really love the sound they put out.
I doubt the Zune alone is doing the IE6 justice.

LCfiner

Alucrid said:

It really all depends on how often you’re going to use them. If you don’t see a spot for them in your common schedule for the next year or two then just sell them. having so much money tied up in equipment you don’t use can be problematic.

I would probably just get a cheaper HD558 and E9 amp (or similar) for the occasional headphone listening and then use the money on whatever else you want or need.

Sanchito

K.Jack said:
Eh, the M50 has better bass, but worse everything else.

Speaking personally, I wouldn't make that trade.

I doubt the Zune alone is doing the IE6 justice.

I appreciate the feedback.

Zeth

I'm thinking about the M50 now too. Currently I have SR225i which are great for rock/indie stuff with nice highs, mids, and that airy upfront Grado signature but I want something with more Bass impact. I have a big head so head-clamp is an issue for me sometimes.

v0yce

I recently rewired my AT ESW9s.

I really like the headphones, but the stock wire is awful. Its really thin and quickly becomes a tangled mess. I couldn't take it anymore so I fixed it. I was a little nervous as I've only soldered one other thing in my life, but I'm pretty pleased with how it all turned out.

5996249226_65396549ec_z.jpg

5995693101_818a763653_z.jpg

Looking for a good pair of headphones for use in the dorm room, so I can rock out and not disturb the whole floor. Would also like it to have a mic for use with an Xbox/PC, if at all possible.

Also, a poster above mentioned a good pair of IEM for running? I've got the same problem of having them fall out constantly while I run. Anyone know how to fix that/what pair to buy?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Nelo Ice said:
so is it worth returning the hd555s i just got and taking what looks like a $5.88 hit(paid a with a gift card too) and getting the m50s for $127? im mostly going to be using either headphoens for gaming and general all around usage like listening to music watching movies/tv shows etc

dude I know this is probably a semi-bias opinion becuase I've only just received them but maybe you should check out the AKG K240 MKII's, they have a lot of bass and are a respectable set of cans, they are the same as the famed K240 studios, I was very surprised when I plugged them in, they won't have the same highs as the hd555's but better quality mids and more bass, also the MKII's come with an extra detectable cord and velvet ear pads.

willmiz

Banned
Hey guys, I've have a pair of Sennheiser HD238's (open air), which I finally need to retire after the beatings they took over a countless number of trips. I am looking for another pair of open air headphones and the SR80i's seem to be well liked. Is it worth the upgrade or should I get another pair of HD238's? I am looking to spend $100-150 for a pair of cans and seem to really like open air design.

HiResDes

willmiz said:
Hey guys, I've have a pair of Sennheiser HD238's (open air), which I finally need to retire after the beatings they took over a countless number of trips. I am looking for another pair of open air headphones and the SR80i's seem to be well liked. Is it worth the upgrade or should I get another pair of HD238's? I am looking to spend $100-150 for a pair of cans and seem to really like open air design.
Either get the Alessandro MS1's, which are just a more balanced version of the SR80i's or check out the AKG 240 MKII's

LCfiner

willmiz said:

Grados (and the Alessandro variants) don’t really sound like anything else (very pushy midrange and treble. very fun sound) and I think they should be experienced by anyone looking for new headphones.

I say go for it. if you don’t like the sound, it’s super easy to sell them at a minimal loss.

but one thing: it takes a bit of time to get used to the sound plus they need a little bit of time to burn in (not hundreds of hours, just a couple days) to soften the piercing treble sound.

Monte

Neo Member
I have a pair of HD 595's and though they are extremely comfortable I can't really hear a difference in audio quality even with lossless audio files.

HiResDes

Monte said:
I have a pair of HD 595's and though they are extremely comfortable I can't really hear a difference in audio quality even with lossless audio files.
In comparison to what? Also you might need a DAC if you have a dated soundcard.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
HiResDes said:
Either get the Alessandro MS1's, which are just a more balanced version of the SR80i's or check out the AKG 240 MKII's

Just a word of warning though regarding this suggestion, MS1's and Sr80i's sound very different to the AKG K240 MKII's, the 240's and much warmer sounding thus more forgiving, the SR80i's for example are much more forward/revealing, not great with poorly coded mp3's or sub par recordings in general tbh.

Gvaz

Banned
Monte said:
Most people can't tell a difference between V0 and Lossless anyways even if you have a good setup. There's too many a/b/x tests out there that show this to a T. I even tried participating in one with my HD555 but I could only tell the difference about 60% of the time when I was thinking really hard about it.

(a successful A/B/X, showing you can tell the difference and it's not just guessing, looks for around 90% of the time you get it right.)

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
v0yce said:

I have the same pair, with the same problem....how much of a problem was it to do it on your own? and where did you find the new chord?

I'm debating doing it because I still have factory warranty on these and I don't want to ruin that...

wenis said:
I have the same pair, with the same problem....how much of a problem was it to do it on your own? and where did you find the new chord?

I'm debating doing it because I still have factory warranty on these and I don't want to ruin that...
whatever you do, don't buy bright-ass yellow cords...to compliment classy wood cups.

thanks in advance.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
hahaha yeah definitely...didn't want to say anything, but yeah I'll pick up something to compliment the set. I love these babies so I'd spoil them.

^ good man.

Alucrid said:
if you don't see yourself listening to them much, sell them. given the current inflation, you'll probably get about what you paid for them.

K.Jack

Ended up buying my dad the HARX700. Dude was so happy, it really made my day. One thing though: The pictures do not do the size of those things justice. Holy crap they are HUGE. The way they dwarf my TMA-1s is a bit comical.

Sound: they are quite impressive for a $30 set. Definitely better than anything I've heard below $50, except for the Maxell DHP-II.

Next step is giving him my E11 amp, since my E7 pulled a Lazarus.

HiResDes

I'm about to move out of parent's house next month, and so I'm thinking about upgrading to a Nuforce Icon HD, so I won't have to worry about finding room for an amp+DAC.

FoxSpirit

Alucrid said:

Do you have another headphone setup?
Why don't you use them, have you stopped listening to music?

abunai

So I'm looking into getting a pair of headphones again. I used to have Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's which i loved for like six years. Worth it to just get another pair, upgrade to DT 990 pro or what?

Any really great sound/price headphones out there that I don't know about? Been out the loop for years and years. Thanks.

HiResDes

abunai said:
So I'm looking into getting a pair of headphones again. I used to have Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's which i loved for like six years. Worth it to just get another pair, upgrade to DT 990 pro or what?

Any really great sound/price headphones out there that I don't know about? Been out the loop for years and years. Thanks.
The DT990 Pro's are currently cheaper than the 770's, which just might be the biggest steal out of any headphone right now...But the Denon D2000's can also be had fairly cheap, and are closed as well.

HiResDes said:
Well they're currently 315 with free shipping on Amazon, I don't know if they'll go any lower than that
They've been much lower. The 650's were $330 6 months ago.

Also, is the sky falling in on the LCD-2 market? I see them going for $800?

LCfiner

Dreams-Visions said:
They've been much lower. The 650's were $330 6 months ago.

Also, is the sky falling in on the LCD-2 market? I see them going for $800?

I think it's because of the very recent rev 2 driver revision. I just sold mine for 900 as it was the latest one.

the older ones might be slightly less desirable over the coming months.

fake edit... wait. are you talking of NEW models? they're going for that cheap?

Top Bottom