• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This was my haul for the day

Yuin PK1's
5j3rC.jpg

Fiio E11
xvpmk.jpg

Saykp.jpg

a slightly used iPod Touch 4th gen (64gb) from Amazon (priced at $270)

and the connector for the E11 and a nice case for the iPod Touch...

I AM FUCKING STOKED RIGHT NOW.

accx

So i managed to break my IEM's today and need to get a new pair. Looking for some recommendations.

They will be used with my iphone, pretty much only when i'm on the run. They need to have a microphone.
I listen almost exclusively on electronic music if that matters.
My old ones was the AKG K-370 and they were pretty good but i always felt they left a somewhat "cold" sound (?) and a bit high on the treble, but not by much. I felt that rock/instrumental music always sound better with these.
I'm really not a fan of a lot of bass (i want to be able to hear the drums) too so, higher treble is preferable as long as it's not overdone.
Build quality is important as well because i barely used my old ones and they were already showing tear (they broke because i was an idiot, but were showing signs of tear on other places).

I was thinking around $100. They will be bought in Europe so keep that in mind.

Any recommendations would be really helpful!

LCfiner

Wenis’s post just reminded me..

I just received in the mail a pair of yuin pk3 earbuds. they were 35 bucks shipped from ebay.

I really like them. very clean sound. not muddy or soft like the default apple earbuds. bass is not great but I don’t really want lots of bass from a little earbud. I care more about clean reproduction and detail at this size. they are seriously really great little earbuds for that price.

I got 'em as I wanted something that didn’t isolate me from outside noise that I could use at work and not be oblivious to when my phone rings. isolating IEMs and my job requirements don’t mix.

ZZMitch

Hey guys, well I made a thread on gaming side... but no one responded! So I will just post this here and see if you guys can help me.

I will be going to a dorm soon for school and am looking for some headphones for when I want to play games on my Macbook Pro. I just bought a cheap $100 surround sound system, but I have decided I am going to take it back and get some headphones instead because the surround sound system won't hook up correctly to the Macbook and I think headphones will be better in a dorm room setting since I don't want to annoy my roommate. I do have a pair of headphones (Turtlebeach x41s hooked up to my gaming rig), but it uses digital audio which my Macbook doesn't have. Also, the x41s use up a lot of batteries and I don't really want to have to keep buying batteries all through college.

So I am looking for a good pair of headphones I can use for games that will be able to hook up correctly to my Macbook Pro! I want them to be around 100 bucks.

Thanks

HiResDes

accx said:
So i managed to break my IEM's today and need to get a new pair. Looking for some recommendations.

They will be used with my iphone, pretty much only when i'm on the run. They need to have a microphone.
I listen almost exclusively on electronic music if that matters.
My old ones was the AKG K-370 and they were pretty good but i always felt they left a somewhat "cold" sound (?) and a bit high on the treble, but not by much. I felt that rock/instrumental music always sound better with these.
I'm really not a fan of a lot of bass (i want to be able to hear the drums) too so, higher treble is preferable as long as it's not overdone.
Build quality is important as well because i barely used my old ones and they were already showing tear (they broke because i was an idiot, but were showing signs of tear on other places).

I was thinking around $100. They will be bought in Europe so keep that in mind.

Any recommendations would be really helpful!
CC51P

Tokubetsu

wenis said:

Yuin PK1's
5j3rC.jpg

Fiio E11
xvpmk.jpg

Saykp.jpg

AzlEt.png

FoxSpirit

wenis said:

Yuin PK1's
5j3rC.jpg

Fiio E11
xvpmk.jpg

Saykp.jpg

The Touch is cool and all, but wouldn't have a Sansa Clip+ done? I haven't heard anything outstanding about the touch as source components and the price is more than the E11 and the Yuins together. Well, they do look awesome together though ;-)

LCfiner

FoxSpirit said:
The Touch is cool and all, but wouldn't have a Sansa Clip+ done? I haven't heard anything outstanding about the touch as source components and the price is more than the E11 and the Yuins together. Well, they do look awesome together though ;-)

the touch is way more than just a music player. I can totally understand why someone would have one instead of a clip+. especially the 64 Gb variety.

and it’s not like it’s a POS sonically.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
FoxSpirit said:

I honestly just really like apple products. I've given the Clip+ a shot and just didn't like it. Plus I only ended up paying $270 for it in the end as well. And like LCfiner said, it goes beyond just the use as a music player. I'm also an iphone developer and will be using it for testing as well.

accx

HiResDes said:

Thanks. Unfortunately they are not available in my country. They can be bought from amazon.co.uk however for a very reasonable price, so i'm considering them.
Any other recommendations?

I'm currently looking at the Sennheiser MM70i but can't find much information or reviews of them.

If i were to skip out on microphone and just go with a pair of regular IEM's, which are recommended at a budget of $100?
I'm considering selling my iphone and just buy an old phone and a dedicated mp3-player.
Maybe the sansa clip since i see it being recommended for it's sound quality.
Although, isn't sound quality negligible when it comes to portable players?

HiResDes

accx said:
Thanks. Unfortunately they are not available in my country. They can be bought from amazon.co.uk however for a very reasonable price, so i'm considering them.
Any other recommendations?

I'm currently looking at the Sennheiser MM70i but can't find much information or reviews of them.

If i were to skip out on microphone and just go with a pair of regular IEM's, which are recommended at a budget of $100?
I'm considering selling my iphone and just buy an old phone and a dedicated mp3-player.
Maybe the sansa clip since i see it being recommended for it's sound quality.
Although, isn't sound quality negligible when it comes to portable players?

Sunrise Audio SW-XCape

Sunrise Audio SW-Xcape Text Review

Sunrise Audio SW-Xcape Unboxing Video

leng jai

T1 impressions:

Setup: Oppo BD-93 -> Darkvoice 332 (The T1s didn't sound right with the Burson after some brief listening - I'll revisit later).

One day of listening and I am loving my first foray into Beyerdynamic audio. Guess it helps when you start at the top. The T1s easily have the best tonal balance of any headphone I've heard. To my ears its simply perfect. As others have mentioned before, these phones are genuine all rounders with no glaring deficiencies to speak of.

The bass response surprised me - these things have some serious performance in the low end. I would say they are slightly above neutral. Unlike the D7000s, the T1s seem to possess ample impact but enough control that it doesn't disrupt the midrange frequencies. The bass line at the beginning of Incubus' The Original has great impact and clarity. The T1s retain their sonic integrity on even the most bass heavy tracks. This is not a strike against the D7000s...anyone buying them knows what they're getting. If you're listening to Bloc Party you'll each for the T1s, but if you're in the mood for Daft Punk its D7000 time. In terms of pure quantity, the T1s are up around D7000 levels without the emphasis on mid-bass. The depth surpasses that of the K702/HD650/D7000 to my ears, though I'm sure many will contest that notion.

Detail is wonderful and competes with the K702 in this regard. Its painfully easy to hear which tracks are one dimensional on the T1s. Find the right recording and it'll seem like a puzzle being put together right before your ears. Angus & Julia Stone's Yellow Brick Road was so laden with detail it could have crumbled at any second. Modest Mouse's We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank sounded rejuvenated and energetic on the T1s. Compared to the K702s the detail levels are similar, but they're more upfront and apparent on the AKG offering.

Vocals are pretty smooth thanks to the slightly relaxed treble response and warmish midrange. Florence and the Machine's Lungs is a disc I've had sibilance issues with in the past but the T1s don't exhibit any here. Female vocals are quite intimate sounding, reminiscent of the HD650s (their biggest strength IMO) which is impressive. The D7000s don't even come into the conversation here. On the T1s, Leona Lewis' rendition of Run has never sounded better. Perhaps the one aspect of the T1s I'm disappointed with is the soundstage - it just doesn't appear to sound that airy especially in contrast to the AKG K702. Intstrument separation is good, if not great. Whether it be due to my amp or my inflated expectations, it has left me wanting more. Perhaps burn in will help, or not.

Build quality wise these are the best out of all the cans I've owned. Definitely sturdier the D7000s and classier than the HD650s. The T1 logo is incredibly suave. I won't say they're more comfortable than the D7000s which are like placing cushions on your ears, but the T1s do fine; easily besting the HD650/AKG 702s.

Ashhong

So I have finally been getting some use out of my E5 with my M50s, and I may have to upgrade. I never thought I would really need anything better as I dont travel much and I use a stereo as an amp back at home, but I don't think that option is going to be available for some time.

So what should I upgrade to that will give me plenty of bass power from my M50s? Will the E7 cut it? Maybe the E11?

I'm sure I've asked this before, but what is a DAC for? I would mainly use these with my laptop I think, and maybe my PC, though I'm not sure about that since I do have my stereo amp.

RS4-

Speaking of amps, what's your take on the PA2V2? I can get it for around $50 and I'd be using it with the AD700s and iphone/PC.

Or should I just go for the CmoyBB?

Ashhong said:
You're quick, I see you havent lost your touch lol. See my edit, what is the point of a DAC? If I don't know, should I not worry about it?
a DAC *can* offer less audio feedback issues (like hiss at high volume), providing a cleaner, crisper sound.

It really depends on the built-in sound processor in your computer relative to the one in the DAC you're considering. Can the difference be considerable? Yes, absolutely.

E7 is clearly a better DAC than the one built into my MBP, so when I'm traveling, I take my E7 and ATH-M50s. the E7 can drive them louder with no hiss or other artifacting, is perfectly portable and offers delicious Bass Boosting. I assume it is one of the better DACs in this size range but I haven't done much research on small miniature DACs.

I enjoy the E7 paired with the M50 or any of my IEMs.

As with all things, ymmv.

RS4- said:
Speaking of amps, what's your take on the PA2V2? I can get it for around $50 and I'd be using it with the AD700s and iphone/PC.

Or should I just go for the CmoyBB?
I can't speak on how well the PA2v2 performs (I've never heard of it), but if your goal is a portable amp, I'd definitely recommend the Fiio E5, E7 or E11. E5 or E11 in particular if you don't need/want a DAC.

nib95

Banned
leng jai said:
4OkMR.jpg

Time to start listening

Funnily enough, my D5000's arrived yesterday and already I'm thinking of buying some T1's. I'm just afraid about what amp to get to run them!

Could you chime in with your experiences of the Denon's vs the T1's and what amp you're using?

leng jai

Dreams-Visions said:
$20 says you too will be sending the 650's back after if those Denon's are D7000s.

what dac/amp are you using?

I've already had the Denons for about 8 months and the HD650s for 3 years.

Posted some impressions about 5 posts up.

nib95 said:
Funnily enough, my D5000's arrived yesterday and already I'm thinking of buying some T1's. I'm just afraid about what amp to get to run them!

Could you chime in with your experiences of the Denon's vs the T1's and what amp you're using?

Look up a few posts.

nib95

Banned
I think I might pull the trigger on some T1's. To hell with it lol. Probably sell off my D5000's, though I do love them, despite my very brief frolic with them!

Ashhong

Dreams-Visions said:
a DAC *can* offer less audio feedback issues (like hiss at high volume), providing a cleaner, crisper sound.

It really depends on the built-in sound processor in your computer relative to the one in the DAC you're considering. Can the difference be considerable? Yes, absolutely.

E7 is clearly a better DAC than the one built into my MBP, so when I'm traveling, I take my E7 and ATH-M50s. the E7 can drive them louder with no hiss or other artifacting, is perfectly portable and offers delicious Bass Boosting. I assume it is one of the better DACs in this size range but I haven't done much research on small miniature DACs.

I enjoy the E7 paired with the M50 or any of my IEMs.

As with all things, ymmv.

I can't speak on how well the PA2v2 performs (I've never heard of it), but if your goal is a portable amp, I'd definitely recommend the Fiio E5, E7 or E11. E5 or E11 in particular if you don't need/want a DAC.

Do you notice a substantial difference between the E7 on your MBP vs a regular amp? If I were to use it mainly with an ipod would I need the E7 vs E11?

LCfiner

Ashhong said:
Do you notice a substantial difference between the E7 on your MBP vs a regular amp? If I were to use it mainly with an ipod would I need the E7 vs E11?

getting an external portable dac for an iPhone isn’t possible. you can do it with the ipad if you get a camera connector kit and run the USB cable to the E7.

for an iPhone, just get a LOD cable from fiio for 10 bucks or so and an E11 or JDS labs cmoy amp for 60 bucks. lots of power.

(the LOD bypasses the internal amp of the iPhone but still uses the internal iPhone DAC, btw, in case this wasn’t clear)

Ashhong

LCfiner said:
getting an external portable dac for an iPhone isn’t possible. you can do it with the ipad if you get a camera connector kit and run the USB cable to the E7.

for an iPhone, just get a LOD cable from fiio for 10 bucks or so and an E11 or JDS labs cmoy amp for 60 bucks. lots of power.

(the LOD bypasses the internal amp of the iPhone but still uses the internal iPhone DAC, btw, in case this wasn’t clear)

oic, so does the DAC only work with USB connection?

Dreams-vision, can you see how the sound compares when you use the E7 as a DAC from your mbp vs. just using it as an amp?

LCfiner

Ashhong said:
oic, so does the DAC only work with USB connection?

Dreams-vision, can you see how the sound compares when you use the E7 as a DAC from your mbp vs. just using it as an amp?

Yeah, the E7 DAC is via the USB input. remember the DAC is converting ditigal to analog so the input is going to be USB or toslink digital. not a 3.5 mm mini plug.

The E7 DAC is meant for a computer. On an iPod, it can only operate as an amp and not as a DAC.

I used an E7 on my computer in the past and it was OK.

as an amp it’s nothing special. if you are not going to use the E7 on your computer don’t buy it just for portable use. get an E11 or JDS labs cmoy instead.

http://www.headfonia.com/music-on-a-budget-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout/

nib95

Banned
Guys, honestly, ditch the Filo's and get a JDS cMoyBB instead. I'm telling you guys this thing punches out audio quality comparable to much higher priced portable amps. I can say that with confidence as I'm currently A/B'ing with the SR-71A and Pico Slim. The JDS cMoy is honestly the best value portable amp out there imo.

Mine :)

cMoyW4.jpg

If you order one, make sure you tell John what headphones/IEM's you'll be using them with. He'll actually customise them for better use with those specific impedances.

I also recommend a high quality LOD, and minimum 280mAh Ni-Mi 9V batteries instead of standard one's. Gives you more power and longevity. You'll need a charger mind.

Ashhong

LCfiner said:
Yeah, the E7 DAC is via the USB input. remember the DAC is converting ditigal to analog so the input is going to be USB or toslink digital. not a 3.5 mm mini plug.

The E7 DAC is meant for a computer. On an iPod, it can only operate as an amp and not as a DAC.

I used an E7 on my computer in the past and it was OK.

as an amp it’s nothing special. if you are not going to use the E7 on your computer don’t buy it just for portable use. get an E11 or JDS labs cmoy instead.

http://www.headfonia.com/music-on-a-budget-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout/

The thing is I would be using it mainly on my laptop and occasionally on my phone. So basically I'm wondering if the DAC ability of the E7 is that much better than what the E11 would produce on my macbook.

The altoid can kind of turns me off....I want it to look sleek, as shallow as that may sound.

edit: reading that link now, thanks.

Recon

Banned
nib95 said:
Guys, honestly, ditch the Filo's and get a JDS cMoyBB instead. I'm telling you guys this thing punches out audio quality comparable to much higher priced portable amps. I can say that with confidence as I'm currently A/B'ing with the SR-71A and Pico Slim. The JDS cMoy is honestly the best value portable amp out there imo.

cMoyW4.jpg

If you order one, make sure you tell John what headphones/IEM's you'll be using them with. He'll actually customise them for better use with those specific impedances.

I also recommend a high quality LOD, and minimum 280mAh Ni-Mi 9V batteries instead of standard one's. Gives you more power and longevity. You'll need a charger mind.

How does one acquire such a device.

nib95

Banned
HiResDes said:

Dude, the OP is not complete without some STAX in them! SR-009, pretty much the best headphone's money can buy. Though I haven't read any comparisons between them and Rev 2 LCD-2's or the T1's mind.

LCfiner

Ashhong said:
The thing is I would be using it mainly on my laptop and occasionally on my phone. So basically I'm wondering if the DAC ability of the E7 is that much better than what the E11 would produce on my macbook.

The altoid can kind of turns me off....I want it to look sleek, as shallow as that may sound.

edit: reading that link now, thanks.

that’s gonna be tough to answer since there’s so many variables in play.

but, from the perspective of convenience… the E11 will be taking the signal from the audio out of the Mac but will run on batteries. depending on how long you plan on using it, the battery charge will drain so you will then need another USB cable to charge it.

The E7 uses the USB cable for the sound input plus provides power to the E7 battery at the same time.

so if you want to minimize your cable situation and not worry about battery drops while using it on the laptop, get the E7 and that’s that.

And, yes, as a bonus you can also use the E7 with an iPod as an amp.

Hootie

Anybody here have any problems with the Yuin PK3's, durability wise? A few people on Head-Fi say they're on their 2nd or 3rd pair, so I dont want to buy them only to have them break within a month.

Ashhong

What kind of variables, if you dont mind me continuously asking? Because it sounds like the E7 DAC quality would be better than the E11 amp quality when using it on a computer or laptop, generally at least.

Battery and cable situation is not a problem, I don't think..

So I've been using this for the time being for my HD555's. Anyone recommend a good right angle adapter so I don't fuck up the headphone jack? Already lost an ipod touch to a slightly related reason (but not because of these headphones). I hate how the plug in is as big as the ipod itself.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ashhong said:
I'm an owner of both, but can only give the perspective of TMA-1 owner.

The E7 gives a cleaner sound as a DAC, than the E11 does through the headphone jack.

Plus the E11 only has 10-12 hours of battery, and unfortunately, you can't use the E11 while it's charging via USB. This isn't an issue with the DAC.

Overall, I heavily favor the E7, if the laptop is where you'll be using it the most.

RS4-

nib95 said:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/nchoudhury/cMoyW4.jpg

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Ampedup?ref=seller_info
What about this one? I'm not sure what's actually different other than the etsy seller configuring it to the Grado RA1 instead.

There's only a $5 difference or so after taking shipping in account to Canada. So it's probably better off I get it directly from JDS and have him tailor it to the AD700 instead? And convenient that I can just order the LOD from JDS as well.

HiResDes

Hootie said:
Anybody here have any problems with the Yuin PK3's, durability wise? A few people on Head-Fi say they're on their 2nd or 3rd pair, so I dont want to buy them only to have them break within a month.
Yeah they're not the most durable, and there a bunch of fakes out there...So only get them from head-direct if you decide to still check them out...If you're worried about durability, and mainly desire buds check out the Phiaton PS 210 instead

Ashhong

K.Jack said:
I'm an owner of both, but can only give the perspective of TMA-1 owner.

The E7 gives a cleaner sound as a DAC, than the E11 does through the headphone jack.

Plus the E11 only has 10-12 hours of battery, and unfortunately, you can't use the E11 while it's charging via USB. This isn't an issue with the DAC.

Overall, I heavily favor the E7, if the laptop is where you'll be using it the most.

Thanks, just what I needed to hear. Also the review I was reading says they are pretty comparable amp wise, so I probably wont really miss any advantage that the E11 has when I take it to go.

Reviews say the E11 is pretty bass heavy. I love my bass, is the E7 the same?

nib95

Banned
RS4- said:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Ampedup?ref=seller_info
What about this one? I'm not sure what's actually different other than the etsy seller configuring it to the Grado RA1 instead.

There's only a $5 difference or so after taking shipping in account to Canada. So it's probably better off I get it directly from JDS and have him tailor it to the AD700 instead? And convenient that I can just order the LOD from JDS as well.

I would go with the JDS instead personally. Better quality parts and better build quality compared to all other cMoy's based on what I've read at head.Fi. Plus the bass boost switch is a nice bonus (though I don't personally use it).

Probably best to order direct from the JDS site. Just make sure you mention you'll be using it with the AD700's in the notes when you buy it, he'll tune it to whatever impedance those headphones are.

P.S. I use these batteries with it, and this charger.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002L679AU/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0044RYRAE/

Also, just know that the Filo LOD from JDS isn't that high quality. I use this one and it's a good improvement over the cheaper Filo LOD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180629137573&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

18 AWG cables plus the Viablue connector's are great parts.

Hootie

HiResDes said:
Yeah they're not the most durable, and there a bunch of funks out there...So only get them from head-direct if you decide to still check them out...If you're worried about durability, and mainly desire buds check out the Phiaton PS 210 instead

Hmm, well I sure do love Phiaton. I've had the MS400s for about half a year now.

Problem is the PS210s are $100 in your link, whereas the PK3s are only $40. It looks like Amazon gets their PK3s from Head Direct so I think I'll take the plunge and get them. I've been using my stock iPod earbuds for years now (for when I'm travelling/at work/etc, obviously the Phiatons are my main cans for home) and its time I upgraded.

Top Bottom