• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

FoxSpirit

After listening to Grado SR80i for an extended period yesterday I can say two things: this isn't a bright headphone at all. Wtf are people smoking or is burn in really that drastic? We are talking about tout, strong bass. This one had 600 hours in it.
If the soundstage were better, this would already be close to all you ever need. Still amazing for the price.
Second, my Blox M2C are like a Grado earbud. Really, the sound signature is very similar except the Grado sounds more natural. And much more congested.

So I learned that for a full heaphone I will need a higher end Grado. And that for a low low price you can get awesome earbuds. Oh yeah :-D

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Any of you guys ever use the iOS app called MyTunes?

Seems like a pretty powerful app, just curious if anyone thinks it's more smoke and mirrors than actual improvements.

Gvaz

Banned
So I mentioned earlier I was looking for some mobile (non-in ear) headphones for my ipod touch, and wanted something that sounded good and were also somewhat durable.

I'm looking at KSC-75 which are like $14 but I don't mind going a little higher if there is something better. It's mostly for just walking to school so whatever won't fall off easy when doing light jogging or bending over (cause I might want to use them while I work out)

Limit is probably $60 though. I don't need anything impressive, I have my HD555s at home.

Another question, where it says Sennheiser on the HD555s is starting to crack on the casing, any way to fix that?

Another: anyone know of an adapter I can get that can give like a "pause/next/volume" control for the ipod touch like the default headphones have?

T-Matt

Gvaz said:
So I mentioned earlier I was looking for some mobile (non-in ear) headphones for my ipod touch, and wanted something that sounded good and were also somewhat durable.

I'm looking at KSC-75 which are like $14 but I don't mind going a little higher if there is something better. It's mostly for just walking to school so whatever won't fall off easy when doing light jogging or bending over (cause I might want to use them while I work out)

Limit is probably $60 though. I don't need anything impressive, I have my HD555s at home.

Another question, where it says Sennheiser on the HD555s is starting to crack on the casing, any way to fix that?

Another: anyone know of an adapter I can get that can give like a "pause/next/volume" control for the ipod touch like the default headphones have?
I'll say this, I really still love my koss portapros. It's basically a bit better version of the 75 and I know it won't fall off your head.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The KSC-75 is highly recommended within the community, so I'd go with those. I recently bought them for my mother, and she really enjoys them.

Don't let the cheap price dissuade you.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
shira said:
get the warranty

2 year warranty included, more opinions folks

Currently rocking the snoop dogg headphones, will the dre ones be a big improvement..

shira

Izayoi said:
Do you enjoy paying more to get less?

Read the OP, avoid all Monster products sans Turbines.
Well if all you want to listen to bass and look cool they are fine.
If you have the warranty I can see aesthetics winning over the hassle of finding and buying a decent set of headphones. OP recs are fine, but I wouldn't want to modify the cords or buy an amp.

Enloops are good rechargeable batteries.

Izayoi

Banned
shira said:
Well if all you want to listen to bass and look cool they are fine.
If you have the warranty I can see aesthetics winning over the hassle of finding and buying a decent set of headphones. OP recs are fine, but I wouldn't want to modify the cords or buy an amp.

Enloops are good rechargeable batteries.
You can listen to better bass for a much lower price.

If you really want to pay a $200 premium for looking "cool"... Well, it's your money I guess.

Modifying cords or buying amps isn't something that gets done until you go way beyond what the Beats provide aurally.

K.Jack

Kentpaul said:
Going to buy Dr dre beat headphones this Saturday, opinions folks
Buying those would be a mistake, if sound quality per price matters to you. You can buy headphones that blow them away for at least $100 less, but easily even more.

if you're just buying them because they're popular, then i guess you didn't really come here for advice.

I recommend that you buy the AiAiAi TMA-1 instead.

thatbox

Banned
Dice said:
Well I sent my headphones in. You better do right by me, Grado!
This is the internet so you can't see how big the grin on my face is right now, but I got mine back today! (If you remember from the last page I sent them in on the sixth, but had heard it could take a month or two.) Turnaround was a week, and they even sent me new, fresh earpads like I asked for (but wasn't expecting). I'm going to quarter mod my old grody ones.

I love this company.

Music sounds delicious again!

APerfectCircle said:
Anyone have a recommendation for a good style of headphone for running? Im kinda sick of having to readjust every 5 mins when my earphones fall out.
Koss Portapros should be good for running (and cheap) if you're not set on buds/IEMs.

shira

Izayoi said:
You can listen to better bass for a much lower price.

If you really want to pay a $200 premium for looking "cool"... Well, it's your money I guess.

Modifying cords or buying amps isn't something that gets done until you go way beyond what the Beats provide aurally.
You know what I mean though. Better head phones need driving, finding smaller audio stores, international shipping. Beats are all in one packages available at every bestbuy.

APerfectCircle said:
Anyone have a recommendation for a good style of headphone for running? Im kinda sick of having to readjust every 5 mins when my earphones fall out.
KSC75 maybe. They're only $15, so it's not that bad of a hit to your wallet. They have earhooks that you can bend in place to stay securely on your ears and they are great bang for the buck phones.

Geneijin

shira said:
You know what I mean though. Better head phones need driving, finding smaller audio stores, international shipping. Beats are all in one packages available at every bestbuy.
Well, if by better you mean headphones after a certain price range say past $200, I can see that being the case mostly, but headphones <$200 I see an amp being more of a recommendation than a necessity.

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Yep. There's absolutely no reason at all for anyone to buy headphones from Best Buy. If you're here posting on GAF, then you've got a connection to the net and therefore, access to dozens and dozens of better options than what's available at your big box store.

I got my Klipsch Image S4's for $36 from Best Buy....with mah discount

mf.luder

Looking to grab a pair of AKG's off of Amazon. A buddy told me the brand has a great reputation for quality. You guys still recommend the 240 and 271 as in the OP?

I'm just looking for a good fucking pair of cans for when I'm sitting at home. They will mainly be plugged into an iPhone or iPad.

I am also open to advice, so please advise.

Thanks!

Noirulus

Hey guys, my Sennheiser PX-100 headphones broke and I need some advice for buying a new pair. My budget is $100 and i'm looking for something with good sound quality.

Also, i'm canadian, not sure if i can order from amazon.com :|

Docpan

I really like the look and the bass of the Beats By Dre but I take the word of GAF that they suck.

What should I get, that has sick bass, and I can work out in, that has a similar look and style to the 200dollar version of the beats by dre?

And I need to be able to walk into best buy tomorrow and pick them up.

Izayoi

Banned
Docpan said:
And I need to be able to walk into best buy tomorrow and pick them up.
Why bother with this thread, then? You will find nothing at a big box store. Do you have any local specialty shops? Is it really that urgent? Why not buy off of Amazon?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Izayoi said:
Why bother with this thread, then? You will find nothing at a big box store. Do you have any local specialty shops? Is it really that urgent? Why not buy off of Amazon?

You're talking to Docpan.

Docpan

Izayoi said:
Ok, I can do Amazon. What can I order that will pump the bass, isn't too large and bulky because ill be working out with them, and is decent in price. Im not an audiophile but bass is a must....

Noirulus said:
Hey guys, my Sennheiser PX-100 headphones broke and I need some advice for buying a new pair. My budget is $100 and i'm looking for something with good sound quality.

Also, i'm canadian, not sure if i can order from amazon.com :|

I've never ordered from this place but they seem to have their own customs clearing for Canadians though they ship with Purolator.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Amagon

Hey Headphone-Gaf, I have a couple of questions that I hope somebody helps me out with. Looking to pick up headphones with the least amount of leakage under $300. Was interested in the Sennheiser HD 598 but I know I should be looking for closed headphones so any recommendation is a plus. And I'm also looking into getting a a Fiio E7 since I'm running on a laptop all the time but what is the difference between the E7 & the E9? And what happens when you combine them together? I see that the E10 is coming out but I'm looking for a good DAC/amp for my needs when I pick up a new pair of headphones this holiday season. (I'm a noob) I'm using Beats Studio as of right now
Sue me, I got them refurb for $160 when my Sony MDR V700 crapped out and was looking for a pair with great sound isolation which it does the trick.
but I've been meaning to upgraded for a while now.

ty_hot

I was just wondering about how expensive is a decent bluetooth earphones. I would use it mostly with my phone. I also dont know if there is anywa I can use one in the notebook and PS3.

Ashhong

Docpan said:
Ok, I can do Amazon. What can I order that will pump the bass, isn't too large and bulky because ill be working out with them, and is decent in price. Im not an audiophile but bass is a must....

How much bass are you looking for? I would almost recommend the Beats for your needs...though people in this thread have said good things about the TMA-1 and bass.

K.Jack

If anyone is looking for the E10, Micca Store has them in stock and are shipping quickly. I just ordered one at 2AM this morning, and I already have shipping confirmation and a tracking number.

I'm freaking excited, as I should be receiving my E10 and a brand new replacement for my broken set of the exquisite RE-ZERO within the next two or three days.

MickD

DJ here. currently own the Sony MDR -700. Hate em, Bass heavy & clunky. Only thing I like is the cord.

Thinking about upgrading, things I want.

*Smaller the better would love a set of Bass(y) earbuds that I can hear through the mix for portability, easy removal. If cans, less clunky.

*Less than $100

*1/4 (that doesn't sag too much with an adapter in place if necessary, the sony's had an adapter that screwed in and worked GREAT!)

* I do dance, jump and move a ton while mixing/cueing - something durable but comfortable for long sets

All in all, Sony's aren't ideal + I think they are fake lol - Purchased on ebay for a Great Deal! lolzz

I dig these, but would rather not use a huge 1/4 adapter

Gila

Fucking loving my TMA-1's now

I can't believe I was so quick to judge it initially, balanced sound > Strong Bass

Killer

Banned
What wireless gaming headphones you guys recommend? I have been looking around but I can't decide on one. I'll mainly use it for pc/ps3/x360.

Gvaz

Banned
So I got those Koss KSC75s but a few minutes in and I don't really like them. Shoddy build quality, decent bass but higher level sounds are kind of muted. Maybe I need burn-in but they sound worse than my ipod earbuds and my hd555s

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Gvaz said:
So I got those Koss KSC75s but a few minutes in and I don't really like them. Shoddy build quality, decent bass but higher level sounds are kind of muted. Maybe I need burn-in but they sound worse than my ipod earbuds and my hd555s

Sound levels are fine on mine, and better than my ipod buds. Seriously though did you just compared sub 20 dollar pair of headphones to your hd555s and wonder why the Koss don't sound as good? REAALLLY???

Gvaz

Banned
Brettison said:
Sound levels are fine on mine, and better than my ipod buds. Seriously though did you just compared sub 20 dollar pair of headphones to your hd555s and wonder why the Koss don't sound as good? REAALLLY???
They got a lot of hype, I'm more miffed they currently sound worse than my ipod buds.

Someone suggested letting it burn in first though.

K.Jack

What the fuck is this shit?!

USPS sends me an email at 5:38 p.m., claiming they delivered my RE-ZERO replacement at 7:44 a.m.

I've been home all day, and the postman doesn't even wake up that early. Dude comes at like 3, at the earliest. They better be tripping and it's coming tomorrow. I've been dying to get these back man. USPS better not eff this one up.

Ashhong

Did you check all around the house? I know you said they never come that early but still, you never know. USPS leaves shit at the side of my house all the time instead of fucking ringing the doorbell. Idiots. Though I'm not sure if thats better or worse than UPS throwing boxes over my front gate.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Gvaz said:
They got a lot of hype, I'm more miffed they currently sound worse than my ipod buds.

KSC75s hype is deserved. I don't know how you think they sound worse than stock ipod buds, but having both a KSC75 and an HD555, they more than hold their own.

Anyway if you are still unsatisfied, look up KSC75 mods, there are some stuff out there to tweak the sound such as stuff to help bring out the mids more, etc.

ElyrionX

Gvaz said:

Are these the Apple earbuds you are comparing them to:

Apple-Earbud.jpg

I got the same ones with my iPhone 3GS and recently tested them with some music just for the fun of it. To be perfectly honest, I was pleasantly surprised by their overall quality. They actually sound great and I'd imagine that they would be very hard to beat if you're comparing them to cheap earphones.

A lot of people judge Apple earbuds based on their previous experiences with the classic ones that came with the iPods years ago. Those were truly horrendous but this "new" one is actually a significant step up.

Gvaz

Banned
Yes, those are the exact ones I have, they came with the iPod Touch. They're coming apart though which is why I got these KSC75s which were highly suggested.

Haven't had the chance to really give them some burnin time yet. They're comfortable but they don't quite feel like they fit on my ear properly because of that...metal earpiece, whatever you call it. probably will take some time to get used to it.

Top Bottom