• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80's Cartoons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgrimzero

While being a teen in the 90s and being able to name more 90s tv shows and music I had the luxury of being a kid in the 80s.

And while 80s cartoons had some silly rules like "no real violence" I have to say that those cartoons back then where the best. Yea yea nostalgia glasses. Watched an episode of a couple of things recently and it was funny that heroes would just throw the villians, and never punch them. Or the villians despite having death rays or tommy guns etc would never actually use them on the good guys. Reminded me of the 70s live Wonder Woman show where only Wonder Woman's boyfriend would PUNCH the Nazi's. She always just threw them aside.

But looking at things now all the way to back then, the 80s toons just had a certain quality that lacks now-a-days. Now, I admit I don't keep up on cartoons like I used to. Does Saturday morning cartoons and an after-school block even exist any more? Are there any that aren't translated anime or look like anime? (nothing wrong with anime, just saying)

One that's really got me thinking of the older days is Thundarr the Barbarian. Set post apocalypse. Humans are a rarity. Magic has come back and here's this sort of Conan homage with a lightsaber who hangs out with a wookie and a sorceress traveling around fighting mutants and evil wizards. Man, that's 80's. Also made me think how great D&D must have been back then th9ough it's nice that RPGs and other "geek culture" stuff is more accepted now.

Silverhawks, oh man did I live that show and toys.

Remember C.O.P.S.? "Fighting crime in a future time"? Dystopian(?) future cyber cops vs cyber villians!

Dungeons and Dragons? GI Joe? Transformers Gen 1 (the best).

Thundercats, He-Man, Jem. Etc etc etc

I remember going over to a friends house one morning and watching Droids (Star Wars cartoon).

Ugh TMNT, Ghostbusters (The Real), All the Disney ones, VOLTRON! Mario/Zelda show

Anyways, the art style was just distinct, especially Hannah Barbera stuff, but man that stuff had a soul. And while I love some cartoons today (like Adventure Time), it seems to me that they have lost their spirit. But then again I'm not a kid of the 2000s who was raised thinking Goku is the end all be all of heroes. (FYI Dragon Ball was way better than Z on forward. hehe)

Watching the top 25 80s cartoon intros on Youtube brings back so many memories. So a good era for cartoons.

i wasn't alive during the 80's, but watching a lot of those cartoons now, a lot of them just seem so cheesy and so obvious in the "sell toys" aspect

especially the transformers

and i am a big fan of transformers

I was born in 83, but still have fond memories of some 80s cartoons; though 90s ones stand out more since I was mostly too young in the 80s.

Pilgrimzero

i wasn't alive during the 80's, but watching a lot of those cartoons now, a lot of them just seem so cheesy and so obvious in the "sell toys" aspect

especially the transformers

and i am a big fan of transformers

Let me tell you about all the cartoon based toys I used to own.

It was a great time...

stn

COPS was amazing, best intro ever. I bought it all on DVD many years ago, couldn't resist.

Ban Puncher

FddvI.gif

Born in the early 80'a, fondly recall many of them but the one that will always be my favourite is He-Man/Masters of the Universe - I loved it so much when I was little and I still get giddy watching it today (even hearing the theme takes me back lol).

I also prefer "The Secret of the Sword" movie (granted it's really just the first 5 episodes of She-Ra) over the 80's Transformers movie.

Dishwalla

Banned
Garbage until shows like Gummi Bears, Ducktales, and New Adventures of Mighty Mouse(though this one is kinda eh too) came out. I'll never understand the love for those terrible toy commercial cartoons.

NastyBook

COPS was amazing, best intro ever. I bought it all on DVD many years ago, couldn't resist.
Did the same with a good deal on amazon. Outro (Roll Call!) is fucking dope, too. B.P. Vess' delivery of Turbo Two-Tone makes him seem like the baddest dude the Cops tangle with.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

Literally created to help sell the toys. Mobile Armored Strike Kommand? Vicious Evil Network Of Mayhem? What did VENOM even want to accomplish? It made absolutely no sense.

And yet, it was totally badass. The stories I created in my head with the awesome toys were way better than the cartoon, and the toys themselves were actually decent quality. Transformers with a more human element.

Apt101

I could go on all day long about 80's cartoons. My parents both worked and left my brother and I to be raised by the TV after school. And Saturday mornings were the bomb.

Aside from Transformers, which were my shit, I think my favorites were:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayce_and_the_Wheeled_Warriors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visionaries:_Knights_of_the_Magical_Light

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BraveStarr

Ghost Busters was the shit. The shit.

And Cartoon Express on USA.

Edit: and Gummy Bears. How did I forget about that cartoon. Wildly fantastical and often taught the children watching some kind of lesson in compassion. At least that's how I remember it.

Nyx

Literally created to help sell the toys. Mobile Armored Strike Kommand? Vicious Evil Network Of Mayhem? What did VENOM even want to accomplish? It made absolutely no sense.

And yet, it was totally badass. The stories I created in my head with the awesome toys were way better than the cartoon, and the toys themselves were actually decent quality. Transformers with a more human element.

My parents gave me the truck for Christmas back in the day, I would love to go back in time and see my reaction, must have been great GIF material.

Oh and one cartoon that isn't mentioned yet:

blackstar_480_poster.jpg

Mr Git

I haven't gone back and watched many of these since (I did watch an episode of He-Man a few years ago and it was painful) but I have fond memories of TMNT - or HERO turtles as it was called in the UK lol. Thundercats will always have a dear place in my heart. It's also responsible, somewhat for a series of scars I have on my head and face. Ahh childhood.

I'm almost positive I remember seeing something where the characters had holes in the bottom of their feet... in the cartoon.

Centurions maybe? the three main characters had suits with holes all in them so their "attachments" could be used.

and yes 90s and 00's kids, there were PLENTY of cartoons out that had no toys to sell. there are literally dozens of awesome series you've never heard of that never hit TOYS-R-US.

Karak

Yep I still return to it at time and Jace and the Wheeled Warriors.
Also I have a soft spot for Galaxy Rangers

LOL

Partly metal, partly real? I've never even seen this before.

Very reminiscent of Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, but arguably not quite as epic...

Damn, that's pretty serious too.

But of course the ultimate epic 80's intro of all time HAS to be GI Joe's expanded intro from the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv_daZe1kNI

A fight featuring every single character at once all around the Statue of Liberty with explosions everywhere, jet pack fist fights, a naval battle, a huge air vehicle battle, Snake Eyes jumping on to a "trouble bubble" mid air, punching out the pilot and it taking over, crazy lighting, and a new version of the theme song. Damn.

stuminus3

The best thing about 80s cartoons was the music. Screeching guitars and thumping synths blasting in your face all the time. Listen to the Thundercats theme before a day in the office, guaranteed you'll be 150% more awesome all morning.

Here's a lesser known example. I don't remember a damn thing about this show but every note of the theme song is forever imprinted on my brain:

Pole Position

Or how about this, you could spend all day on Youtube listening to Jem & the Holograms songs, they were fictional but all the songs were bona-fide 80s.

Jem intro

OP, your list has a shameful lack of Nickelodeon 80s cartoons. AKA some of the GOATs.

- Mysterious Cities of Gold
- Danger Mouse
- The Little Koala
- The Secret World of David The Gnome
- The Noozles
- The Little Bits
- Inspector Gadget
- The Adventures of The Little Prince
- Bananaman (shorts)
- Count Duckula
- Maya The Bee
- Curious George

Some of those might be on the 90s border. Not sure. I just remember them when I was little.

and another not listed so far:

- Pole Position

Tigress

I grew up on 80's cartoons. I'm sorry, Hannah Barbara stuff was crap and even then they weren't my favorite but definitely only good when I was a kid.

I loved Transformers and GI Joe (both were my favorite, GI Joe more). After rewatching them, I understand why GI Joe was my favorite. It actually had coherent writing, or more so than Transformers (Honestly, the only thing that saves Transformers G1 is nostalgia. They've done several better written Transformers show since. Story line more coherant for one. Maybe it has to do with later ones are more anime influenced. But even Beast Wars was far better done story wise if you could get over the crappy computer animation). I will say what little of seen of later GI Joe stories that one I'd agree with G1 is the best.

Thundercats? I'm sorry, even nostalgia doesn't save it (but I didn't like it as much as Transformers though I did really like Thundercats). The more recent re-do of them was great, too bad it never got continued to be finished :(.

Can't say about the other stuff I watched as a kid cause never tried re watching it as an adult. Except maybe Smurfs (which was one of the better Hannah Barbara stuff). I suppose remembering it was Hannah Barbara they weren't too bad.

Also watched He-Man (when I was younger, before GI Joe and Transformers), Gummy Bears, and a whole slew of lesser known cartoons. But I'd probably mix later cartoons with earlier, never really grew out of cartoons tbh. And I'd say I'll go against the grain and say later cartoons/animation was definitely better than the stuff in the 80's overall. I think the 90's actually was a pretty golden age of cartoons tbh. And maybe the 00's as well (or at least early 00's).

Haven't noticed any current stuff though. Seems like it's all pokemon/digimon or adult swim crap. And I suppose some marvel stuff too. Doesn't seem like they put out much new stuff anymore really but maybe it's just cause I'm not paying as much attention.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I always think SilverHawks had to be some kind of under the table satire of everything in 80s toy commercial cartoons to that point. It's the one show if aired today, people would almost think it a satirical homage to the 80s.

Pilgrimzero

Oh, remember the Lase Tag cartoon? The pole position mention above reminded me of it. "How can we take this product and make it into a cartoon?"

terrisus

OP, your list has a shameful lack of Nickelodeon 80s cartoons. AKA some of the GOATs.

- Mysterious Cities of Gold
- Danger Mouse
- The Little Koala
- The Secret World of David The Gnome
- The Noozles
- The Little Bits
- Inspector Gadget
- The Adventures of The Little Prince
- Bananaman (shorts)
- Count Duckula
- Maya The Bee
- Curious George

I love this post <3

cajunator

Banned
The best thing about 80s cartoons was the music. Screeching guitars and thumping synths blasting in your face all the time. Listen to the Thundercats theme before a day in the office, guaranteed you'll be 150% more awesome all morning.

Here's a lesser known example. I don't remember a damn thing about this show but every note of the theme song is forever imprinted on my brain:

Pole Position

Or how about this, you could spend all day on Youtube listening to Jem & the Holograms songs, they were fictional but all the songs were bona-fide 80s.

Jem intro

Yeah these were by Shuki Levy too. His style was perfect for that time period and he got a lot of work.

Slayven

Look, there are 2 kinds of people in this world, Laser Tag people and Photon people. Never ever confuse the 2. EVER.

but do you remember the live action show for PHOTON? That was the shit. edit: oh, did he link photon? I can't see youtube here lol

Also, Captain power (and the soldiers of the future) made a lazer tag knockoff to tie into the show. My dad was huge into that show for some reason, I still have the toys new in box, never used.

I never knew the deferecne except PHOTON guns looked cooler. It use to come a UHF(remember them kids) channel that if you breathed wrong you would lose it.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Damn, that's pretty serious too.

But of course the ultimate epic 80's intro of all time HAS to be GI Joe's expanded intro from the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv_daZe1kNI

A fight featuring every single character at once all around the Statue of Liberty with explosions everywhere, jet pack fist fights, a naval battle, a huge air vehicle battle, Snake Eyes jumping on to a "trouble bubble" mid air, punching out the pilot and it taking over, crazy lighting, and a new version of the theme song. Damn.

Holy shit. I'm pumped for the rest of the day now!

I never knew the deferecne except PHOTON guns looked cooler. It use to come a UHF(remember them kids) channel that if you breathed wrong you would lose it.

Photon was syndicated I believe, which is why it was hard as hell to find on TV. I remember having to get up at 6am on a weekend to watch it, or something equally crazy. the plot was something like a dude going into outer space using "photon centers" which were just games here but PHOTON was real in space or something.

The lazer tag show was animated and a network show, put out by NBC IIRC. It had a completely insane time travel plot where some chick from the future goes back in time and gives all her ancestors (teen kids, obviously) lazer tag weapons to fight time traveling criminals.

neither one comes close to kidd video though. That plot was so bizarre I can't begin to explain what the show was about

GI Joe taught me about DNA.

GI Joe taught me that "terrorist organizations" were colorful and fun in the 80s. Can you imagine if GI Joe launched this year, fighting Al-Quaida or ISIS, with bin laden action figures? Because that's pretty much what COBRA was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom