• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80's Cartoons

Status
Not open for further replies.
dat nostalgia. 80's cartoons are best remembered but not seen again. At most just watch the intros.

The writing was nothing worth writing home about imo.

Pole Position had a cat - monkey hybrid, therefor it was the shit.

I've seen that GI Joe movie intro plenty of times, but I remember nothing about the movie itself. Not talked about much either, I guess it's not as memorable compared to, say, the Transformers movie?

GI Joe didn't get a theatrical release. Blame the failure of transformers and (I think) my little pony at the box office.

It was retooled into a week long "mini series" instead. It got a home video release eventually but that was in the era before "ownership" of stuff like that was common.

Volcane

I was an 80's child, and this thread gives me a lot of nostalgia. Another cartoon I liked, but doesn't seem to have been mentioned is Ulysses 31.

I also loved the puppet programmes Star Fleet and Terrahawks.

jombag

jayce and the wheeled warriors

inhumanoids

sabre riders

bionic six

were the ones i wait for after schools

One i remember is a cartoon set inside the human body, with the blood drops & other cells as sort of little people, cannot remember the name of it though, there was another one as well, there was a boy (teen maybe) & he was in a spaceship traveling through space in hypersleep & when he woke up/reached his destination things had advanced radically cannot remember the name of that either.

Once upon a time... Life

terrisus

GregMcduck-ALookAtGarfieldAndFriends181.jpg

Lorenzo Music is the only Garfield.

Pilgrimzero

I forgot about that old -Men pilot. Had Kitty Pryde in it.

The 90s one was good though with Jubilee. Followed the comics fairly well.

gonna drop in this thread to add more votes for MASK, Defenders of the Earth, Ulysses, Jayce, and Galaxy Rangers.

I really miss those 80's style ops man (I won't post MASK/Jayce cause they already been linked)

but I always loved Galaxy Rangers' No Guts No Glory

I always think of "Master of magic, spells and illusions"
whenever I read a Lionel Mandrake post lol

maybe off topic but the Genesis Climber Mospeada op is gold as well
"Every man is a lonely soldier boy"

Sadly I don't think we will ever say anything like these again as audiences are just too cynical for them sadly

not strictly 80's but yeh shout out to Xmen + Botsmaster as well

I'm seriously considering buying the Thundarr set. Eventually the Ghostbusters one as well.

I bought the first season of Ghostbusters- it holds up well. I think the show went downhill in the latter half after the "Slimer! and the real ghostbusters" rebranding, but that's typical for this kind of show.

Fritz

Ulysses and Count Duckula are still entertaining. I just recently popped in an old mc of Duckula and it really cracked me up.

izakq

Galaxy High was awesome. Great music throughout and fantastic characters. One season though?

I remember Saturday Supercade and was so disappointed with it. They have Frogger, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Q-bert and Pitfall to use for an one hour block. But it was crap in that almost every storyline was the same ol' loveable characters trying to stop an evil plot of someone who are not even remotely related to the game character's world. And then having the Donkey Kong Jr. character being a blatant rip-off of Scrappy-Doo, of all characters, with it's ear-grating catchphrase "Monkey Muscle!" Q-bert was probably the best of the bunch as it was contained in it's own world mixed with a '50s theme. The opening music was catchy though.

Slayven

I bought the first season of Ghostbusters- it holds up well. I think the show went downhill in the latter half after the "Slimer! and the real ghostbusters" rebranding, but that's typical for this kind of show.

Ghostbusters got too real at times. I remember folks actually died

What was that show about dudes that rode robot horses in space? They also wore crazy armor and had some kinda space ship. It could have been a movie. I just remember watching it, thinking it was cool, but not understanding it at all.

farmerboy

Born in 75, so 15 by the end of the 80s. You know what this thread has revealed to me?

That EVERYTHING has gone downhill from there.

Looks like I'm buying some boxsets

forrest

formerly nacire
Came to post Thundaar, saw OP's avatars.

So many greats already posted: Mask, GForce, Transformers, Dungeons and Dragons, Herculoids, Centurions, GI Joe, etc.

Just too many to name, such a great time to be a child!

BamfMeat

You know, a few people have mentioned Dungeons and Dragons, but was it not that popular? I fucking watched then would go outside and PLAY Dungeons and Dragons when I was little.

Was I the only person who was like, insane about this cartoon? :(

Thundercats was another I used to play, but you people know that one. Oh! Oh! And Rainbow Brite!

Engell

I could go on all day long about 80's cartoons. My parents both worked and left my brother and I to be raised by the TV after school. And Saturday mornings were the bomb.

Aside from Transformers, which were my shit, I think my favorites were:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayce_and_the_Wheeled_Warriors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visionaries:_Knights_of_the_Magical_Light

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BraveStarr

Ghost Busters was the shit. The shit.

And Cartoon Express on USA.

Edit: and Gummy Bears. How did I forget about that cartoon. Wildly fantastical and often taught the children watching some kind of lesson in compassion. At least that's how I remember it.

Screen-Shot-2013-04-19-at-20.54.06.png

Pilgrimzero

You know, a few people have mentioned Dungeons and Dragons, but was it not that popular? I fucking watched then would go outside and PLAY Dungeons and Dragons when I was little.

Was I the only person who was like, insane about this cartoon? :(

Thundercats was another I used to play, but you people know that one. Oh! Oh! And Rainbow Brite!

I own the box set for D&D. Came with 3rd ed rules for everyone. Its great!

Tigress

not really possible, since the 90s were the decade when syndicated cartoons went extinct almost overnight, thanks to congress. Plenty of good shows circa 1990-1994 or so, then after that time slots that traditionally went to cartoons started airing infomercials and shitty talk shows. Cartoons were a shell of their former selves by the end of the decade, it's not even close.

Then you weren't paying attention. You had Freakazoid, The Tick, Earthworm Jim, Gargoyles, project G.E.E.K.E.R. (sadly didn't get popular), anime was starting to get popular. And those were the ones I remember off the top of my head that were after 1994 (these were the ones I was watching in college which I graduated highschool 1994). Not to mention 1990-1994 is almost half the 90's right there. Then you had stuff like Animaniacs and not as good but decent Tiny Toons. Also Pirates of Darkwater (which sadly never got finished). Darkwing Duck. And some ones I can't even remember (one had humanized cat characters that flew a fighter plane and I remember they tried a cartoon for a short while with dogs being soldiers).

And I'm not talking quantity, I'm talking quality. The stuff you saw in the 90's was far better than the stuff in the 80's (probably because anime was getting popular). A lot more of it was also not just there to sell random toys (He Man, GI Joe, Transformers, She-ra). Many had toys come out if they were popular after the show, not had the show cause of the toys (but some of the anime that was to sell the toys was still a lot better than the 80's stuff).

Cartoons never fully went away. You still get stuff today even (though you probably have to get Nick or Disney to get most of them). Transformers seems to always have some different story cartoon going on (well until recently). Even after G1 there was Beast Wars, Beast Machines, one I can't remember the name of the series, a bunch more I didn't pay attention to, to the last one I did pay attention to somewhere in 2000, Transformers Animated I think was the name of that one (a lot of people didn't like it, I actually thought it was pretty well done and people were being too hard on it cause it was aimed more at younger kids). And honestly, most of the Transformers shows I saw after G1 were done a lot better than G1 (seriously, I really cringed when I tried to watch G1 a few years back. I didn't realize it was so bad until I tried to watch it more recently).

weepy

This is going to be an unpopular opinion but I feel like most 80's cartoons sucked. They were in this weird state of limited animation and product placement to try to support themselves and for that the shows themselves were nothing more than animated 22 minute long toy commercials. Not much thought in making coherent stories or fully realized characters at all. The same could be said about 90's cartoons too, but at least there was some effort made.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
i wasn't alive during the 80's, but watching a lot of those cartoons now, a lot of them just seem so cheesy and so obvious in the "sell toys" aspect

especially the transformers

and i am a big fan of transformers

Welcome to Transformers the Movie reasoning.

Lets kill all the fan favorites all 40 of them ...then we can make them like new toys!....what it should work? Right?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Damn, how did I forget this one? I guess it never got as popular but I remember really enjoying it (though I don't remember the name of it at all).

Marshall Bravestarr

I still have so many toys. Marshall, the evil guy, the bartender, the horse, some fatass on a sleigh...loved it

Bert409

The Real Ghostbusters is the best of the typical toy commercial 80s cartoons, holds up relatively well.

Batman: The Animated Series eventually came along and made that whole genre look like a huge joke.

SpotAnime

Yep, when it turned into Slimer it was more kid friendly, with 15 minute episodes. A stark contrast to the earlier episodes, which had J. Michael Straczynski penning several of the classics.

Also, this is was a Japanese animated series. I own several animation cels from the series and it's cool to see the notes written in Japanese on them.

inhumanoids

Talk about a series created to sell toys, although there probably isn't a more messed up series aimed at kids. It was a Hasbro/Marvel series with a four issue comic series and a small tpy line, both got killed after the series became short lived. The imagery in this series is borderline satanic. It got a series DVD release in the UK.

http://youtu.be/WM8ROIhdBoU

jstripes

Banned
dat nostalgia. 80's cartoons are best remembered but not seen again. At most just watch the intros.

The writing was nothing worth writing home about imo.

As someone who was a kid in the '80s: Pretty much, minus a few actually good shows like Duck Tales.

The vast majority of '80s cartoons, watched today, are cringe city.

Thanks to this thread I'm remembering all these old shows, but it seems most of them were actually from the early 90's...

The Raccoons weren't atleast. Ending theme is still rad.

I only know of Star Fleet because of this totally awesome promo video.
Star Fleeeet~

The Raccoons ending theme was amazing.

Last year I was driving with my girlfriend, listening to the local college radio station. They played that song, and she burst into tears. It was really funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom