• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80's Cartoons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Photon was syndicated I believe, which is why it was hard as hell to find on TV. I remember having to get up at 6am on a weekend to watch it, or something equally crazy. the plot was something like a dude going into outer space using "photon centers" which were just games here but PHOTON was real in space or something.

The lazer tag show was animated and a network show, put out by NBC IIRC. It had a completely insane time travel plot where some chick from the future goes back in time and gives all her ancestors (teen kids, obviously) lazer tag weapons to fight time traveling criminals.

neither one comes close to kidd video though. That plot was so bizarre I can't begin to explain what the show was about
Kidd Video and Kids Incorporated was fire back in the day

oh also, some that I haven't seen listed:

- Ring Raiders
- Comic Strip (Fox, anyone remember these shorts???!)
- Dennis The Menace
- DuckTales
- Charlie Brown & Snoopy Show
- Captain N - The Game Master
- Heathcliff!
- Garfield
- Fat Albert & The Cosby Kids!
- The Littles
- Lunchbox
- Richie Rich
- Pound Puppies
- She Ra
- TMNT

The theme songs will awaken many a memory.

My favorite was always The Mysterious Cities of Gold. It has the best theme song too.

Intro

definitely one of the goats, right up there with the best Disney Afternoon intro songs.

Slayven

:O

how have I never heard of this

Bots Master was AWESOME- but it was syndicated. another show that aired at 7:00am in the morning on weekdays for me, so I almost never saw it.

It always had random sections of the show that went 3D for five minutes so you had to wear glasses to get the full effect. crazy shit.

Saber Rider GOAT

Fireball's car the GOAT

GOAT intro theme

wasn't saber rider edited to hell and nothing close to the source material?

Also watched He-Man (when I was younger, before GI Joe and Transformers), Gummy Bears, and a whole slew of lesser known cartoons. But I'd probably mix later cartoons with earlier, never really grew out of cartoons tbh. And I'd say I'll go against the grain and say later cartoons/animation was definitely better than the stuff in the 80's overall. I think the 90's actually was a pretty golden age of cartoons tbh. And maybe the 00's as well (or at least early 00's).

not really possible, since the 90s were the decade when syndicated cartoons went extinct almost overnight, thanks to congress. Plenty of good shows circa 1990-1994 or so, then after that time slots that traditionally went to cartoons started airing infomercials and shitty talk shows. Cartoons were a shell of their former selves by the end of the decade, it's not even close.

Pilgrimzero

Photon was syndicated I believe, which is why it was hard as hell to find on TV. I remember having to get up at 6am on a weekend to watch it, or something equally crazy. the plot was something like a dude going into outer space using "photon centers" which were just games here but PHOTON was real in space or something.

The lazer tag show was animated and a network show, put out by NBC IIRC. It had a completely insane time travel plot where some chick from the future goes back in time and gives all her ancestors (teen kids, obviously) lazer tag weapons to fight time traveling criminals.

neither one comes close to kidd video though. That plot was so bizarre I can't begin to explain what the show was about

GI Joe taught me that "terrorist organizations" were colorful and fun in the 80s. Can you imagine if GI Joe launched this year, fighting Al-Quaida or ISIS, with bin laden action figures? Because that's pretty much what COBRA was.

Kidd Video, was great. And has a great intro song.

Except Cobra was completely inept at what they did.

MilkyJoe

smf03.jpg

Toxi

Banned
The 80s are considered part of the dark age of cartoons for a reason. A lot of that stuff is baaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Bizazedo

Bots Master was AWESOME- but it was syndicated. another show that aired at 7:00am in the morning on weekdays for me, so I almost never saw it.

Holy shit. Someone else who watched the 6 am Photon and the 7 Am Botsmaster (not the same year, obviously). The annoying thing is a lot of times I had to leave to catch the school bus right when Botsmaster was ending, so I'd not always catch the entire episode.

The important parts were the intro and the outro...so so good.

Spider-Man-and-His-Amazing-Friends-Spider-Verse.jpg

R.I.P.

Holy shit. Someone else who watched the 6 am Photon and the 7 Am Botsmaster (not the same year, obviously). The annoying thing is a lot of times I had to leave to catch the school bus right when Botsmaster was ending, so I'd not always catch the entire episode.

The important parts were the intro and the outro...so so good.

yep, that was pretty much my situation. had to leave and ALWAYS missed the second half of botsmaster. are you in the philly area?

OP, your list has a shameful lack of Nickelodeon 80s cartoons. AKA some of the GOATs.

- Mysterious Cities of Gold
- Danger Mouse
- The Little Koala
- The Secret World of David The Gnome
- The Noozles
- The Little Bits
- Inspector Gadget
- The Adventures of The Little Prince
- Bananaman (shorts)
- Count Duckula
- Maya The Bee
- Curious George

Some of those might be on the 90s border. Not sure. I just remember them when I was little.

and another not listed so far:

- Pole Position

Linking the songs in this or great justice. I almost forgot just how good some of them were. Cities of Gold, Gadget and David The Gnome especially.

The 80s are considered part of the dark age of cartoons for a reason. A lot of that stuff is baaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

what is this post

I'm from the 90s and some of these shows aired through that decade. Really good nostalgia. Some of them I didn't even know the name until now. Nice thread.

There are no words in any known language that can accurately convey how obsessed I was with that show.

Pole position has to have the title for "farthest from it's source material." I mean, not even close.

Pac Man is a strong contender though.

edit: how has no one mentioned Turbo Teen yet???

Pilgrimzero

Pole position has to have the title for "farthest from it's source material." I mean, not even close.

Pac Man is a strong contender though.

edit: how has no one mentioned Turbo Teen

Really how do you take a racing game and make it into a cartoon without ripping off Speed Racer?

Can anyone help me with a cartoon? I can't remember for the life of me what it was called however I do remember one thing:

The bad guy was selling Oxygen to people in the city and it would cut to them paying for a few breaths of air...

May have been late 80s...

PS Count Duckula was the bomb!

Really how do you take a racing game and make it into a cartoon without ripping off Speed Racer?

its not that hard. do wacky races or something. Or you could rip off that one hanna barbera show with the traveling daredevil motorcyclist (Devlin!), that had literally no one in suspense every episode that he might not make his jumps.

MrBadger

I don't think the Transformers TV show has quite stood the test of time, but I think the movie has aged pretty damn well and I still enjoy it. I know he came back later but I still remember how depressing it was when my favourite character died on screen. RIP
Starscream

Pilgrimzero

I remember the day I saw Transformers the Movie in the theater. Popular Autobots get blown away in the first few minutes and I was STUNNED. And then Prime as well!?!?!? And several Decepticons?!??! What is going on?!?!

The tears I shed for Prime. You have no idea.

Movie was amazing. No one was safe.

I remember the day I saw Transformers the Movie in the theater. Popular Autobots get blown away in the first few minutes and I was STUNNED. And then Prime as well!?!?!? And several Decepticons?!??! What is going on?!?!

The tears I shed for Prime. You have no idea.

Movie was amazing. No one was safe.

The backlash for that was unprecedented. Everyone underestimated how negative the response would be. Kids were traumatized.

This is the reason why GI-Joe got hastily re-edited so Duke lives.

WTF, who thought this was a good idea? SMH, comic book writers.

it's funny in context. No alternate version of spider man was safe. They even got the hostess fruit pies one

Slayven

Falcon was cool, too bad we never saw Jinx again

The backlash for that was unprecedented. Everyone underestimated how negative the response would be. Kids were traumatized.

it's funny in context. No alternate version of spider man was safe. They even got the hostess fruit pies one

News paper spidey lived

terrisus

This was 1990, so missing out on the 1980s by a year (although based on a 1980s movie), but, darn was I ever obsessed with this show:

1KbrtKa.jpg

Pilgrimzero

It literally felt like I lost a family member. I was wrecked for a while. Transformers and GI Joe were my world at that time.

Watch The Goldbergs? That episode where the main guy watches the Transformers movie and then goes into denial. That was me.

And while I may have hated it then, looking back stuff like that made that movie amazing.

woopWOOP

Pole Position had a cat - monkey hybrid, therefor it was the shit.

I've seen that GI Joe movie intro plenty of times, but I remember nothing about the movie itself. Not talked about much either, I guess it's not as memorable compared to, say, the Transformers movie?

Pilgrimzero

Pole Position had a cat - monkey hybrid, therefor it was the shit.

I've seen that GI Joe movie intro plenty of times, but I remember nothing about the movie itself. Not talked about much either, I guess it's not as memorable compared to, say, the Transformers movie?

As mentioned above, Transformers was hardcore but had backlash at the time where as the GI Joe movies changed some things as to not repeat those "mistakes". While its still a fun film it's not as memorable due to that. Trans didn't pull any punches. Joe did.

stuminus3

Yeah it's funny how the liberties they took with the Transformers movie just to introduce a new season of toys is ironically the reason the movie is so memorable 30 years (!) later.

Well, that and the soundtrack, of course.

RPGCrazied

Yes. Child of the 80's here. Just look at my avatar. Its my favorite show from my childhood. I own the entire show on DVD along with He-Man, Transformers, Prince Valiant, TMNT and the Real Ghostbusters(holy hell that was expensive)!

I was born in 1975, so I was squarely the Saturday morning/after school cartoon demographic. He-man, of course, was a heavy favorite but there are actually a couple a like more:

Mysterious Cities of Gold was pretty different compared to a lot of its contemporaries (due to it's anime connection and being more of a serial). That show absolutely holds up...its amazing to me that show finally got some sequel/continuation seasons and its a shame that (to my knowledge) they haven't aired in the US. It was a bit weird, for obvious reasons, the kid voices for the new show are going to be different, but its still something I've been having to get used to.

I know nowadays people (somewhat deservedly so) crap on Harmony Gold and how they handle the Macross aspect of Robotech, but back in the day for most kids who watched it, Robotech was awesome. Looking back on it, it was a fascinating experiment to tie together 3 different shows in that way to try to make one overarching narrative...a large part of it hinging on a different interpretation of the word "culture" compared to the source material.

Finally, my personal favorite from the era, "The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers." (my avatar is one of the show's rogues gallery, "The Scarecrow"...a bio weapon from war fought eons ago between two ancient galactic superpowers that has been reawakened.)

Ostensibly a space western, Galaxy Rangers was made interesting by a couple of innovations. It was one of the first syndicated animated cartoons to use CG animation (in a very limited way, mostly used when interacting with computers). It was an early example of a show that was animated in Japan to take advantage of those animation sensibilities (rather than for cost which is what Disney was doing, not that Disney of the era minded the quality they could get out of Asian studios). Unlike Voltron, Sabre Rider, or Robotech though; this was original animation done based on the American scripts. The animation was handled by well known studio TMS Entertainment.

Other things of note: The main four cast were not in every episode. Some episodes would have all four, but others would often pair up two of the rangers together (with maybe some of the more important secondary characters), or even have them mostly go solo. A couple episodes even dealt with none of the main cast and only used secondary characters. Also, while the mains avoided this fate, there were a number of obvious deaths of side characters in the show (two techs getting blown out of an airlock into space with no suits on, for example). Finally, its a shame...the show was intended to have a toy line, but production wasn't lined up in time, so while the show did get a complete 65-episode run, it wasn't renewed because no toys for the NA market. Europe did get the toys though, and the show actually did pretty well (I'm told Germany really loved the show.)

Like many 65 episode shows in the 80s, quality varied wildly, but the best episodes absolutely hold up. The show was produced in 10 months (which is an insane schedule). To manage this 3 animation teams were used. The scripts were divided up, the best scripts went to the A-team (the best animation team), the OK scripts went to the B-team, and worst scripts went the C-team (a cheap Korean subsidy). So, if the animation looks kind of choppy, you can expect the script to be kind of bad as well...it's an easy way to get around some of the lame episodes (stay away from Mothmoose, for example. Its a pretty bad episode, and doesn't really add anything to continuity).

RPGCrazied

We need more live action movies from these 80's cartoons. Good ones. Why can't we have an epic live action ThunderCats? Please redo He-Man, that wasn't that good.

LoveCake

I always remember The Mysterious Cities Of Gold & Ulysses 31

Loved Pole Position as well, there are sooo many though.

One i remember is a cartoon set inside the human body, with the blood drops & other cells as sort of little people, cannot remember the name of it though, there was another one as well, there was a boy (teen maybe) & he was in a spaceship traveling through space in hypersleep & when he woke up/reached his destination things had advanced radically cannot remember the name of that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom