• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80's Cartoons

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best ratio of entertaining kids per frame reused:

thundercats-11.jpg

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
oh shit, Chipmunks and Muppet Babies. It's all coming back to me now, the ultimate nostalgia trip. NOSTALGIA TEARS

caffeware

Banned
I'm looking for an 80's cartoon. All I remember is that it was action team-based, and that a kid had a boomerang that divided in three. Any idea?

Jaeger

Digitize them!

Yes! I love watching it over and over again. This is the reason I'm such a sci-fi nut. There was talk about bringing it back, but I doubt it will ever happen. Do you remember the Captain Power Bio-Dread Strike Mission? Came with the large toy ships. Interactive just like the show was.

Undoubtedly animated by an Asian based animation company.

cajunator

Banned
This is going to be an unpopular opinion but I feel like most 80's cartoons sucked. They were in this weird state of limited animation and product placement to try to support themselves and for that the shows themselves were nothing more than animated 22 minute long toy commercials. Not much thought in making coherent stories or fully realized characters at all. The same could be said about 90's cartoons too, but at least there was some effort made.

A bunch of them were definitely toy peddling vehicles, but a lot of Nickelodeon content was unique and interesting, although not as macho as the other cartoons. Some of it was actually anime. My fondest childhood memories center around shows like Noozles, Maya the Bee, David the Gnome, Raccoons, Litl Bits, Grimms Fairy Tale classics, that sort of thing.

As someone who was a kid in the '80s: Pretty much, minus a few actually good shows like Duck Tales.

The vast majority of '80s cartoons, watched today, are cringe city.

The Raccoons ending theme was amazing.

Last year I was driving with my girlfriend, listening to the local college radio station. They played that song, and she burst into tears. It was really funny.

Run with us is legit.
Hits me hard in the nostalgia too.

TheGrue

I'm 42, so was watching cartoons in the 70s and 80s. Cartoons today are so much better than when I was a kid. Adventure Time alone kicks the shit out of anything I watched (well, I guess Loony Tunes was pretty sweet) as a kid.

TheGrue

You know, a few people have mentioned Dungeons and Dragons, but was it not that popular? I fucking watched then would go outside and PLAY Dungeons and Dragons when I was little.

Was I the only person who was like, insane about this cartoon? :(

My friends and I used to go out and play as the characters in that cartoon. I loved it.

Hazelhurst

OP, your list has a shameful lack of Nickelodeon 80s cartoons. AKA some of the GOATs.

- Mysterious Cities of Gold
- Danger Mouse
- The Little Koala
- The Secret World of David The Gnome
- The Noozles
- The Little Bits
- Inspector Gadget
- The Adventures of The Little Prince
- Bananaman (shorts)
- Count Duckula
- Maya The Bee
- Curious George

Some of those might be on the 90s border. Not sure. I just remember them when I was little.

and another not listed so far:

- Pole Position

My childhood in one post.

Yes! I love watching it over and over again. This is the reason I'm such a sci-fi nut. There was talk about bringing it back, but I doubt it will ever happen. Do you remember the Captain Power Bio-Dread Strike Mission? Came with the large toy ships. Interactive just like the show was.

Undoubtedly animated by an Asian based animation company.

They were done by Artmic who worked alongside Tatsunoko forGenesis Climber Mospeada (Invid Saga in Robotech) and was also responsible for the original Bubblegum Crisis among others.

That being said I've always wondered if the New York Knicks logo was inspired from the BioDread forces logo.

Anyone remember TigerSharks? Youtube comment describes it as Thundercats in the ocean which is pretty accurate. Intro is still boss.

OP, your list has a shameful lack of Nickelodeon 80s cartoons. AKA some of the GOATs.

- Mysterious Cities of Gold
- Danger Mouse
- The Little Koala
- The Secret World of David The Gnome
- The Noozles
- The Little Bits
- Inspector Gadget
- The Adventures of The Little Prince
- Bananaman (shorts)
- Count Duckula
- Maya The Bee
- Curious George

Some of those might be on the 90s border. Not sure. I just remember them when I was little.

and another not listed so far:

- Pole Position

I loved all of these. Belle and Sebastian (the one with the kid and his two dogs), Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea, and The Little Prince were awesome too. Man, 80s Nickelodeon was a fucking treasure trove of forgotten classics. So sad that many of these never got home releases... ;_;

Afrikan

well since everything else is taken... I'll throw in one not mentioned yet.

Fantastic Max

FantasticMax4.jpg

edit- and I know this next one isn't the 80's...but early 90's...and Toastman mentioned it.

but IMO, it's one of the greatest cartoons....f'it... greatest 1 year shows ever....what a ride that one season was....kind of like how Ronin Warriors...one awesome season.

if you have never seen it, or you bailed early in the season... give it a chance now. Lots of twist and turns, stuff you wouldn't expect from a "kids" cartoon.

intro video
!B6eN+7g!2k~$(KGrHqYOKjIEyPC3INo+BM)brm5ebQ~~_35.JPG

This is the reason why GI-Joe got hastily re-edited so Duke lives.

True story. I actually saw the original version where Duke dies years ago at a California meeting if the CFO(Cartoon/Fantasy/organization) one of the members had an inside connection with the studio. A handful of us saw it before it hit theaters.

On topic:
Dungeons & Dragons. This show was so damned good and ahead of its time. I'd love to see a modern remade.
https://youtu.be/3JjhQ1Oi_3k

Savitar

Grew up in the 80's and damn I loved the shows during that time, yeah they might not all have aged well but back then anything was possible. There was a crazy amount of stuff happening and there were all sorts of big names involved that later did all sorts.

Sadly animation took a blow, if it had continued on the path we would have gotten all sorts of great stuff but everything started to get farmed out to cheaper animators. G.I.Joe for example took a huge hit. Plus you had the blow back against violence in cartoon even if such violence was laughable and no one ever got hit and lasers were the usual thing seen.

Pilgrimzero

True story. I actually saw the original version where Duke dies years ago at a California meeting if the CFO(Cartoon/Fantasy/organization) one of the members had an inside connection with the studio. A handful of us saw it before it hit theaters.

On topic:
Dungeons & Dragons. This show was so damned good and ahead of its time. I'd love to see a modern remade.
https://youtu.be/3JjhQ1Oi_3k

What would be awesome (and which they can actually do now) is make it more true to D&D. Instead of a magic bow that ties up Orks with light rope it actually hits them with an arrow. Or a Wizard that actually throws out magic missles and fireballs instead of pulling a chair out of his hat.

Like I said in the original post I get cartoons back then had to follow a code. Hence why He-Man never actually slashed anyone with his sword and the bad guys always used escapable death traps instead of just filling the good guys with lead.

Best example that immediately pops in my head is He-Man is fighting a group of his named baddies and he grabs one and tosses him into a nearby swamp, the baddie is like "Well I'm out, darn you He-Man!" And I'm thinking, "Get your ass up and run back to the fight." Or in the same episode the guy who can shot laser beams from his head, easy way to murder people, only uses it to blow up rocks.

Can you imagine how much easier Skeletors life would have been if he and his cohorts actually tried to kill people?

Then you weren't paying attention. You had Freakazoid, The Tick, Earthworm Jim, Gargoyles, project G.E.E.K.E.R. (sadly didn't get popular), anime was starting to get popular.

of course I was paying attention. The amount of cartoons being made got devastated immediately. syndication vanished, and saturday morning was cut in half. This is literally hundreds of hours of programming that suddenly just wasn't available anymore. Freakazoid and the tick were nice shows, but that was Fox and the WB and only on saturday morning. doesn't really make up for the loss at all.

And those were the ones I remember off the top of my head that were after 1994 (these were the ones I was watching in college which I graduated highschool 1994). Not to mention 1990-1994 is almost half the 90's right there. Then you had stuff like Animaniacs and not as good but decent Tiny Toons. Also Pirates of Darkwater (which sadly never got finished). Darkwing Duck. And some ones I can't even remember (one had humanized cat characters that flew a fighter plane and I remember they tried a cartoon for a short while with dogs being soldiers).

again, all of this was just Fox and the WB, in fairly limited time slots. The disney afternoon BTW got started in the 1980s, with ducktales, gummi bears, and rescue rangers. The cartoon you can't remember was Swat Kats, btw.

And I'm not talking quantity, I'm talking quality. The stuff you saw in the 90's was far better than the stuff in the 80's (probably because anime was getting popular).

Lol. we already addressed this. there were many, many, shows that were good quality and not toy commercials run through the 80s, and it may come as a surprise, but anime was not "just getting popular." some of us had been watching Voltron, Robotech, Saber Riders, Tranzor Z, Captain Harlock, and Macron 1 for YEARS. And this doesn't count US cartoons that got outsourced to JP studios, like Transformers, Thundercats, Inspector Gadget, Galaxy Rangers, etc. This also ignores OVA like bubblegum crisis that made it over via blockbuster etc.

Anime hit a boom when toonami started running it in a block, but this shit wasn't new.

A lot more of it was also not just there to sell random toys (He Man, GI Joe, Transformers, She-ra). Many had toys come out if they were popular after the show, not had the show cause of the toys (but some of the anime that was to sell the toys was still a lot better than the 80's stuff).

Not true. There were MANY shows that did not exist to "sell toys" and existed on ad revenue alone. Most of your saturday morning cartoons fell into this category- just looking at 1985/1986:

Star Wars: Droids
Star Wars: Ewoks
Muppet Babies
Alvin and the Chipmunks
Mr. T
Dungeons and Dragons
Pole Position
Hulk Hogan's Rock N Wrestling (a vehicle for WWF)
Punky Brewster
Spider Man and his Amazing Friends
The Littles
CBS: Storybreak (anthology series based on YA fiction and short stories)
Smurfs
Kidd Video

and these network shows all had drastically higher budgets than current animated shows can get away with.

Cartoons never fully went away. You still get stuff today even (though you probably have to get Nick or Disney to get most of them). Transformers seems to always have some different story cartoon going on (well until recently). Even after G1 there was Beast Wars, Beast Machines, one I can't remember the name of the series, a bunch more I didn't pay attention to, to the last one I did pay attention to somewhere in 2000, Transformers Animated I think was the name of that one (a lot of people didn't like it, I actually thought it was pretty well done and people were being too hard on it cause it was aimed more at younger kids). And honestly, most of the Transformers shows I saw after G1 were done a lot better than G1 (seriously, I really cringed when I tried to watch G1 a few years back. I didn't realize it was so bad until I tried to watch it more recently).

Cartoons never went AWAY, but you're kidding yourself if you think it's anywhere close. The average syndicated cartoon in the 1980s would get 60-70 episodes in a single season, and cartoons would air during the weekdays from 6:00am-9:00am, and in the afternoon from 3:00-6:00 on your UHF stations (my market had about 4 of these) in addition to the major networks running saturday morning from 6:00-12:00 AND the UHF stations running sunday mornings from 6:00am-12:00. This also ignores the existence of USA's cartoon express, TNT's classic block (bugs bunny, etc) and Nickelodeon.

it's nowhere in the same league. you had easily 3x the shows cranking out 5 times as many episodes a season.

Pilgrimzero

I know it's a dumb question but yea what do kids do on Saturday mornings now? And before and after school?

Yea yea play Call of Duty or watch Youtube clips etc

I just can't imagine that whole generations are now missing the thrill of waking up early on a Saturday ON PURPOSE just to grab a bowl of cereal and plop down in front of the tv for 4 hours to watch cartoons.

I used to run home from school just to watch the power hour of GI Joe and Transformers.

And then Disney's thing popped up. Ducktales, Gummy Bears, Talespin, Darkwing or whatever. Now that was a good block of programming.

I mean yea technology has moved on. You no longer HAVE to be at the tv at a specific time to catch your favorite show (DVR, internet, etc).

There used to be such a variety of awesome shows. Now everything is dubbed anime based on a card game or something. Again, nothing wrong with anime but it's not the same. Especially considering Saturday mornings and before/after school.

It was a great time. Nostalgia and all that. But for everything we've gained we've also lost something, if that makes sence.

jstripes

Banned
Grew up in the 80's and damn I loved the shows during that time, yeah they might not all have aged well but back then anything was possible. There was a crazy amount of stuff happening and there were all sorts of big names involved that later did all sorts.

Sadly animation took a blow, if it had continued on the path we would have gotten all sorts of great stuff but everything started to get farmed out to cheaper animators. G.I.Joe for example took a huge hit. Plus you had the blow back against violence in cartoon even if such violence was laughable and no one ever got hit and lasers were the usual thing seen.

The big problem with cartoons in that era is that they'd been completely hijacked by toy marketers and celebrity promoters. Writing and animation quality took a backseat to "What can we sell?" and "Which celebrity can we build this around?" (or "How can we bastardize Scooby-Doo even more?")

When the '90s rolled around, and people were worn out by a decade of crass consumerism, it generally shifted back to original concepts. (And a flood copycats.)

I know it's a dumb question but yea what do kids do on Saturday mornings now? And before and after school?

Sleep. Facebook. Youtube. Netflix. Whatever.

They get their entertainment when and how they want it.

Pilgrimzero

The big problem with cartoons in that era is that they'd been completely hijacked by toy marketers and celebrity promoters. Writing and animation quality took a backseat to "What can we sell?" and "Which celebrity can we build this around?" (or "How can we bastardize Scooby-Doo even more?")

When the '90s rolled around, and people were worn out by a decade of crass consumerism, it generally shifted back to original concepts. (And a flood copycats.)

Sleep. Facebook. Youtube. Netflix. Whatever.

They get their entertainment when and how they want it.

Never will they know the struggle of having to walk up hill (both ways) to turn the dial on the TV to find cartoons/entertainment on the 6 or so channels we had.

I recoded Scooby Doo onto an audio tape so I could LISTEN to it later!

Dang neighbor kids, on my lawn again.... *grumble grumble*

Pilgrimzero

Update: Watched some Thundarr this weekend. Saturday morning nostalgia hit me pretty hard.

"Now we return to Thundarr the Barbarian!" So good.

I have gone through my video collection and realize I have the whole Transformers box set (need to get the movie). Several episodes of He-Man. And the D&D series box set.

Thinking of ordering one (or more depending on price) of these:

Beetlejuice
Real Ghostbuster
TMNT
Duckula
Danger Mouse
90s X-Men (yea not 80s but so good)

Leaning towards TMNT

Pilgrimzero

Update:

So I've been collecting a few things.

Already had the Transformers box set (that looks like the Matrix of Leadership).
And D&D.
Picked up the Real Ghostbusters set
Thundarr (so good)
Half of season 1 of He-Man

Plan to grab GI Joe and Ninja Turtles soon-ish.

I've been watching Jem and She-Ra on instant watch stuff.

I love in the first few episodes of She-Ra (He-Man is there as well) that the Big Bad won't kill people despite being a tyrant.

His big weapon teleports things and he plans to use it to teleport all the rebels into the Lost Woods "Where no one has ever escaped!" Also, when he captures He-Man, he taunts he will use a freeze ray on him and toss him into the Lost Woods as well.

You have to love the non-violence of these old cartoons. I was actually surprised when a mind controlled She-Ra (as Adora) shot He-Man in the back (stun ray sure, but still).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom