• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

85th Academy Awards Nominations - Results are up

Status
Not open for further replies.

stupei

It disappears in the second half, but I liked that the editing in the first half was centered around Pat's frame of mind, which led to some really interesting scenes like his near-meltdown after the dinner date.

There were some good moments with the editing, definitely, but I felt like it was uneven. Which is probably coming more from O. Russell, to be fair.

I was really distracted by the ADR. It felt really noticeable at times in transitions between scenes. Like they'd had to recobble sizable chunks of the film back together in post.

Though I guess that's an achievement for the editor in a way, it made it hard for me to not to find the cutting really distracting.

Wilbur

Banned
too bad there were none of those this year

21 Jump Street BRO

And...? What about Jacki Weaver?

Yeah she was quite good. Lawrence and De Niro were good, but they weren't amazing.

Good grief get a new phrase, man :lol

When she stops screw facing I'll get a new one ;)

Look movie-Gaf when Emmanuelle Riva wins best actress. Don't be acting surprised.

Chastain has it wrapped to make up for no big picture/director win

Wow. My Best Director picks got slaughtered, but besides The Master being snubbed, I still guessed every Best Pocture nominee.

It seems like a legitimate toss-up this year. Lincoln seems like the frontrunner, but I feel almost no enthusiasm for the film beyond DDL's performance. Zero Dark Thirty, Les Mis, and Argo being snubbed for Director means their chances are as good as dead. Amour & Beasts are charming indie/foreign submissions, but they lack the mass appeal to grab the trophy. That just leaves Life of Pi - which failed to even get a Best Actor nod, despite being mostly carried by one actor. And Silver Linings - which is phenominal, but I would have NEVER thought of as a contender until just now.

Silver might have it.

Wow. My Best Director picks got slaughtered, but besides The Master being snubbed, I still guessed every Best Pocture nominee.

It seems like a legitimate toss-up this year. Lincoln seems like the frontrunner, but I feel almost no enthusiasm for the film beyond DDL's performance. Zero Dark Thirty, Les Mis, and Argo being snubbed for Director means their chances are as good as dead. Amour & Beasts are charming foreign submissions, but they lack the mass appeal to grab the trophy. That just leaves Life of Pi - which failed to even get a Best Actor nod, despite being mostly carried by one actor. And Silver Linings - which is phenominal, but I would have NEVER thought of as a contender until just now.

Silver might have it.

Louisiana's foreign?

I recently saw Silver Linings Playbook, an I'd be surprised if it wins any of the major awards. I did not come out of that thinking, "this should be nominated for Best Picture." It was a solid movie, but not that caliber. And I am a Bradley Cooper fan, but don't think he deserves a Best Actor award and frankly am surprised by the nomination and all the buzz. I mean he was good, just not so much better than other actors to be Oscar worthy.

And Deniro for Best Supporting? He was basically playing a Deniro character.

Loxley

Outside of Bigelow being snubbed for a Direction nom, the only "snub" that I'm confused with is The Hobbit for Best Costume Design :( Weta did a phenomenal job on the costumes.

Aurongel

Forgot to mention that I'm surprised the song "Django" from Django Unchained didn't make it into best original song/theme.

dmshaposv

Will watch les miserables in the following days, but as of right now Life of Pi is the best film of the year for me. Ang lee getting nominated makes me very happy.

Good to see zero noms for tdkr. It really didnt deserve any.

(P.s: django still isnt out in my country!)

Forgot to mention that I'm surprised the song "Django" from Django Unchained didn't make it into best original song/theme.

It's not Original. It's from 1965's "Django."

If I'm gonna bet on anyone for best score - I'll probably bet Desplat for Argo. You'd think betting on Williams would be the safest bet, but dude's been nominated like, 50,000 times, and won something like six.

Bladenic

When was the last time Amy Adams didn't get nominated? Jesus, it feels like she gets nominated every year. I also kind of expected some noms for Skyfall.

Aurongel

It's not Original. It's from 1965's "Django."

If I'm gonna bet on anyone for best score - I'll probably bet Desplat for Argo. You'd think betting on Williams would be the safest bet, but dude's been nominated like, 50,000 times, and won something like six.

Well shit...

I knew of the original films existence but I thought that the song was an original piece for Unchained. Oh well, Adele probably has the award locked despite the fact that it's not entirely original either.

If John Williams farts in a microphone he would get a nomination. Shame since far better scores are not rewarded because they have to nominate him because he's going to die soon.

My money is on Deakins for Skyfall. I am, however, excellent at being wrong. Claudio Miranda for The Life of Pi would be my next bet.

I didn't see life of Pi, but god damn Skyfall was such a great looking film. Surprised Le Miserable didn't get nominated for this category, I loved how much risk they took doing so much close up long takes.

mr stroke

Really want to see Amour, but the damn film doesn't open any where in the US any time soon? WTF is the USA that afraid of subtitles?

:(

jett

D-Member
All this talk about actors and shit. What about the music.

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)

“Anna Karenina” Dario Marianelli
“Argo” Alexandre Desplat
“Life of Pi” Mychael Danna
“Lincoln” John Williams
“Skyfall” Thomas Newman

Life of Pi is the best of them all, by far.

kswiston

Cant believe that Sally Fields was nominated.

Not really that surprising after she received nominations from the Golden Globes, BAFTA, the Screen Actors Guild and several film critics associations.

In that category, I was more surprised at seeing Helen Hunt receive a nomination.

Talon

The more I think about it, the more surprised I am that Karenina didn't get nominated for cinematography or editing. I wasn't that positive about the movie either, but the way they incorporated the theater elements was absolutely phenomenal. The editing for the ballroom scenes were flawless - for those that saw the film.

Ridley327

I didn't see life of Pi, but god damn Skyfall was such a great looking film. Surprised Le Miserable didn't get nominated for this category, I loved how much risk they took doing so much close up long takes.

Risky isn't the same thing as good, and the only thing worse than the cinematography in Les Mis was the editing.

Not having seen Anna Karenina yet, the other films definitely deserved their noms. I think it's Deakins' to lose at this point, but I wouldn't be at all angry if they went with another film.

jett

D-Member
The more I think about it, the more surprised I am that Karenina didn't get nominated for cinematography or editing. I wasn't that positive about the movie either, but the way they incorporated the theater elements was absolutely phenomenal. The editing for the ballroom scenes were flawless - for those that saw the film.

Zuh, it's nominated for best cinematography. The photography and its theater-gimmick really was that movie's only merit.

Wilbur

Banned
Gonna post my predicted winners:

Best Picture

Lincoln

Best Actor

Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln

Best Actress

Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty

Best Supporting Actor

Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln

Best Supporting Actress

Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables

Best Director

Michael Haneke, Amour

Best Original Screenplay

Amour, Michael Haneke

Best Adapted Screenplay

Lincoln, Tony Kushner

Best Animated Feature

Wreck-It Ralph

Best Cinematography

Skyfall, Roger Deakins

Best Costume Design

Les Misérables, Paco Delgado

Best Documentary Feature

Searching for Sugar Man

Best documentary short subject

Open Heart

Achievement in film editing

Zero Dark Thirty, Dylan Tichenor and William Goldenberg

Best foreign language film of the year

“Amour” Austria

Achievement in makeup and hairstyling

“Les Misérables”
Lisa Westcott and Julie Dartnell

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)

“Skyfall” Thomas Newman

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)

“Skyfall” from “Skyfall”
Music and Lyric by Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth

Achievement in production design

“Les Misérables”
Production Design: Eve Stewart; Set Decoration: Anna Lynch-Robinson

Best animated short film

“Paperman” John Kahrs

Best live action short film

“Henry” Yan England

Achievement in sound editing

“Zero Dark Thirty” Paul N.J. Ottosson

Achievement in sound mixing

“Skyfall”
Scott Millan, Greg P. Russell and Stuart Wilson

Achievement in visual effects

“Life of Pi”
Bill Westenhofer, Guillaume Rocheron, Erik-Jan De Boer and Donald R. Elliott

Aside from the asian makeup, Cloud Atlas should've got best makeup and editing. 6 stories all transitioning into each other, sometimes two going parallel, nice juxtapositions from action chase to comedy chase. So many characters that I didn't catch who was who until the credits.

Hugh-Grant-Cannibal-Leader-in-Cloud-Atlas.jpg

They picked Waltz over DiCaprio in Django? What the fuck?

Also, even though I greatly enjoyed Lincoln. I think they're being WAY too generous here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom