• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

85th Academy Awards Nominations - Results are up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from the asian makeup, Cloud Atlas should've got best makeup and editing. 6 stories all transitioning into each other, sometimes two going parallel, nice juxtapositions from action chase to comedy chase. So many characters that I didn't catch who was who until the credits.

Hugh-Grant-Cannibal-Leader-in-Cloud-Atlas.jpg

lol, as soon as I saw that on the screen, I immediately knew it was Hugh Grant

Empty

would have liked to have seen moonrise kingdom and the master nominated for best picture but i can't comment too much as i've only seen silver linings playbook and life of pi from the list so far.

kswiston

Only 9 movies up for Best Picture?

Weren't there 10 last year?

They changed the best Picture nomination rules. Each year will have at least 5 nominees for best picture, with a maximum of 10. Only films that receive 5% or more of the first place votes make the list though.

Basically whatever was the 10th most voted film this year failed to get more than 5% of the total first place votes.

So after seeing the noms, here's what happens:

Either Lincoln dominates or is given the technical awards/lesser prestige awards so that the big awards go to SLP. They did the same thing between Hugo and The Artist.

kswiston

Either Lincoln dominates or is given the technical awards/lesser prestige awards so that the big awards go to SLP. They did the same thing between Hugo and The Artist.

I have a very difficult time seeing SLP as the big winner this year, despite the 4 acting noms.

jtb

Banned
I think ZDT still has a chance.

No direction nod basically kills it at this point, I think.

Maybe, but best actor is a big award (and I'd be amazed if adapted screenplay went to SLP over Kushner's Lincoln) and DDL is, I'd imagine, a lock at this point. And I think a film like Life of Pi might actually get a handful of the technical awards, especially if we're going with the Hugo parallel (heavy CG, heavy on visuals, etc.)

So as far as watching all the Best Picture nominees go, I'm 7 for 9

Seeing ZDT tonight and gotta wait until Feb. 1 to see Amour. Can't believe this is gonna be the first time I'll see all BP nominees before the telecast

I can't believe Dicaprio didn't even get nominated. I thought this was his year for sure. He was freaking amazing in Django. I have a feeling he's going to be like Jeff Bridges. Get it when he's old after a lifetime of amazing work.

I can't believe Dicaprio didn't even get nominated. I thought this was his year for sure. He was freaking amazing in Django. I have a feeling he's going to be like Jeff Bridges. Get it when he's old after a lifetime of amazing work.
Dude will get it next year for The Wolf of Wall Street. Book it.

kswiston

I know, but maybe it can. Oscars love trivia like that anyways. First movie to win BP without BD nod since...

Not sure. But the Acadamy's history of nominating women for directing is pretty poor.

Female Academy Award nominees for Best Director since 1990:

Jane Campion - The Piano
Sophia Coppola - Lost in Translation
Kathryn Bigelow - The Hurt Locker

Best Picture Nominees directed by women since 1990

Awakenings - 1990
Prince of Tides - 1991
The Piano - 1993
Lost in Translation - 2003
Little Miss Sunshine - 2006 (co-directed I think)
An Education - 2009
The Hurt Locker - 2009
The Kids are alright - 2010
Winter's Bone - 2010
Zero Dark 30 - 2012

So 3 best director nominations out of those 10 best picture nominations.

Damn, Sam Jackson and the Master got hosed!

Very, very excited for How To Survive a Plague though-- it's on Netflix streaming right now. It's fucking incredible!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Jennifer Lawrence has best actress locked down. No, I haven't seen Silver Linings Playbook, but I did see The Hunger Games and she killed it.

kswiston

It's really going to be between Lincoln and SLP, right?

I wish Amour had a chance for a change.

Things are a bit more complicated this time around since it is a comedy and the other front runners are dramas, but Silver Linings Playbook needs to win both the Golden Globe (for best comedy) and the Producers guild award to have a decent shot at winning best picture. If it loses either of those, I'd say it has little chance of winning the big prize.

David O Russel wasn't even nominated for directing by the Director's guild, and their pick for best Directing matches up with the Academy's pick 90% of the time. We get split years for best director and best picture every so often, but the majority of the time they are a package deal.

Damn, Sam Jackson and the Master got hosed!

I think the fact that Sam Jackson isn't that choosy when it comes to accepting movie roles hurts him in these sorts of awards competition. When you are in 5 movies a year, I think you start getting taken for granted.

Dude will get it next year for The Wolf of Wall Street. Book it.
I doubt it. I expect a typical Leo performance from that film. Django was his first villain role and he knocked it out of the park. I said Jeff Bridges earlier but I think he's more like Pacino. Ignored for years until he finally got it for 'A Scent of a Woman' at age 53.

I doubt it. I expect a typical Leo performance from that film. Django was his first villain role and he knocked it out of the park. I said Jeff Bridges earlier but I think he's more like Pacino. Ignored for years until he finally got it for 'A Scent of a Woman'.
They will give it to him for a lead performance, not supporting. Leo + Scorsese biopic is when his best work comes out to play. Next year. Book it.

Maybe if he gets a new face grafted on top of the one he has now that makes him look like a 14 year old wearing a grown man costume.

pigeon

Banned
It's really going to be between Lincoln and SLP, right?

It's gonna be Lincoln. Sorry, but you guys are kidding yourselves. Spielberg, DDL, huge piece, historical drama, American story, topical to modern issues, highest opening ever for a film with such a limited release. And, unlike many Best Picture winners with similar things going for them (Avatar) it's actually a really good movie! Silver Linings Playbook was good -- tight writing, good message, JLaw is fun to watch. But there's zero chance that it wins Best Picture over Lincoln, so if it's between those two, bet on the President.

No love for Moonrise Kingdom. Funny that just yesterday Wes Anderson predicted the film would be ignored.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/01/09/moonrise-kingdom-director-wes-anderson-talks-awards/

"Basically nobody gets nominated when they work with me."

"But actors can rely on the fact that I can’t deliver them that. I do always have a very good experience with the casts on my films, and I really enjoy working with actors, but I can’t promise awards."

haha :(

UberTag

Just listened to all of the Oscar-nominated songs.
Seems like an automatic win for Adele's Skyfall.
Seth MacFarlane has no business being nominated for Everybody Needs A Best Friend.

I'm kind of disappointed Mumford & Sons "Learn Me Right" got the Oscar push from Brave. I rather enjoyed "Touch the Sky".

And if I may be so bold to say this... but the original song nominees from gaming this year were far stronger than those from the movie industry in 2012.

Mr. RHC

Huh, only seen Life of Pi of the nominees so far. I had no idea Silver Linings is so acclaimed. Expected Argo and Django.

I'm also glad to see Lincoln nominated, I have high hopes for this movie.

I'm also still offended that they abused Lincoln for a bad vampire flick so at least we got a proper Lincoln movie.

Life of Pi, 11 nominations? Movie was alright but 11 nominations, like a Lord of the Rings? Come on, you gotta be kidding me.

Glad to see Brave in the animated picture category, enjoyed that movie a lot.

Definite locks are Hathaway, DDL acting, Skyfall song, Amour foreign film.

I think that if DDL really wins, Lincoln will get BP, and probably Director.

This is a guess without seeing all.

Ridley327

Just listened to all of the Oscar-nominated songs.
Seems like an automatic win for Adele's Skyfall.
Seth MacFarlane has no business being nominated for Everybody Needs A Best Friend.

I'm kind of disappointed Mumford & Sons "Learn Me Right" got the Oscar push from Brave. I rather enjoyed "Touch the Sky".

And if I may be so bold to say this... but the original song nominees from gaming this year were far stronger than those from the movie industry in 2012.

I don't think there's a lack of talent in films, so much as game developers deciding to work with some truly talented acts.

Who knows; someone like Austin Wintory could very well wind up being the next Michael Giacchino, springboarding from gaming into the world of film.

I know killing them softly had no chance but still it's disappointing not to see it up there. I really liked it. Leo or SLJ deserved that nom a lot more than Waltz who I also liked.

Fucking Samuel Jackson especially though, his best performance in years

Beasts of the Southern Wild was kinda whack. I wanna see silver linings playbook soon

Snake

I'm so ashamed of myself. The only movies that I've seen with nominations are Argo and Snow White and the Huntsman, and only because I was dragged to them by family.

I know I was busy this year, but not that busy!

ari

Banned
2012 was a meh year of movies, it started with the dark knight rises and it didn't let up. I think django and argo was the only redeemable films after august.

Lincoln can go eat a bag of dicks. Hope it gets sweeped. I hate movies that seems like it has an oscar checklist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom