• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

85th Academy Awards Nominations - Results are up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javier

just 4 times. 06, 09, 11, 13.

i love her so i'm cool with that.
She's certainly looking to be the next Meryl Streep. (17 nominations in 34 years, out of which she won 3.)

I think Silver Linings Playbook may be the first film ever that has a shot at winning Picture, Director, Writing, and the four acting awards. Not gonna happen, but it's something, I guess.

Ridley327

They picked Waltz over DiCaprio in Django? What the fuck?

Also, even though I greatly enjoyed Lincoln. I think they're being WAY too generous here.

It's a film about the most beloved president in history, with the most Oscar-friendly cast ever. It was never not going to clean up in the nominations department.

Even Sally Field, who is pretty awful in this, was always going to get a nomination, because she's Sally Field, and she's in a Spielberg film about Lincoln.

AkuMifune

Banned
Weak year for AAA titles, indies were the best, just wait until we get the new consoles.

Lincoln sweeps because there's nothing else.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Another year, another complete disavowal of Jonny Greenwood's film score.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I haven't seen the Master or heard it yet :/ don't want to hear it until I see it in its cinematic form first.

TWBB's was fucking masterful though
I thought the sound design and Jonny's score were the greatest things about the movie's besides the amazing performances.

kswiston

I think Silver Linings Playbook may be the first film ever that has a shot at winning Picture, Director, Writing, and the four acting awards. Not gonna happen, but it's something, I guess.

Not true. Network was nominated for the 4 acting awards, screenplay, director and picture during the 1977 awards. It actually won 3 of the four acting awards, plus screenplay, which is better than I see SLP making out.

EDIT: Coming Home and Reds did the same thing in 1978 and 1981. I'm sure there were others as well previous to that. It has been many years since this was the case though.

Ridley327

Another year, another complete disavowal of Jonny Greenwood's film score.

Going by their picks this year for scores, it was clear that they were aiming for the most completely inoffensive scores imaginable. When Skyfall is the best I've heard out of that bunch, the situation is dire.

Eidan

Going by their picks this year for scores, it was clear that they were aiming for the most completely inoffensive scores imaginable. When Skyfall is the best I've heard out of that bunch, the situation is dire.

I honestly can't recall anything about Argo's score.

jtb

Banned
Silver Linings Playbook is good, but no chance in hell should (or will) it win Best Picture this year. Maybe if Russell hadn't castrated his own film in the third act, it would've been a great movie but... eh.

The Master was never getting nominated for Best Picture because the Weinstein's got too cocky and rushed the release too early in the season and were completely fucked when it fizzled out quick. Frankly, I didn't love the film, but I'm surprised all three leads got acting nods, I thought one of them (Phoenix maybe) might have gotten lost in the shuffle.

Having said that, no Bigelow or Hooper is fantastic. Hopefully this gives Tarantino a chance with the Screenplay category given there seems to be a bit of backlash against ZDT (and, let's face it, ZDT's screenplay blows).

In short, I fucking loved Lincoln and give DDL all the awards.

kswiston

The Master was never getting nominated for Best Picture because the Weinstein's got too cocky and rushed the release too early in the season and were completely fucked when it fizzled out quick. Frankly, I didn't love the film, but I'm glad PTA got a directing nod, and I'm surprised all three leads got acting nods, I thought one of them (Phoenix maybe) might have gotten lost in the shuffle.

PTA wasn't nominated.

Talon

Zuh, it's nominated for best cinematography. The photography and its theater-gimmick really was that movie's only merit.
I must have seen a wrong list earlier.

Yeah, it was a very pretty movie. The editing in the middle of the movie was superb, in my opinion. The supporting actors were good (Jude Law, the chick from Luther, Steva/Darcy, Kodstya especially).

It's always tough to adapt a book like this.

Yen

I've only just found out that Judith Dench won an Oscar for Shakespeare in Love, despite only being in the film for 8 minutes. What the hell?!

Couple random notes:
-No Affleck for best director? What the shit? Probably my favorite film of the year (still haven't seen all the nominees though).
-Great to see Skyfall for Cinematography, and I hope it wins, but Lincoln's was great as well. Would have been nice to see The Hobbit get a cinematography nod as well.

http://oscar.go.com/nominees

Best Picture

Lincoln

Best Actor

Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables

Best Actress

Emmanuelle Riva, Amour

Best Supporting Actor

Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln

Best Supporting Actress

Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables

Best Director

Steven Spielberg, Lincoln

Best Original Screenplay

Django Unchained, Quentin Tarantino

Best Adapted Screenplay

Life of Pi, David Magee

Best Animated Feature

ParaNorman

Best Cinematography

Anna Karenina, Seamus McGarvey

Dat surprise upset

Best Costume Design

Anna Karenina, Jacqueline Durran

Best Documentary Feature

Searching for Sugar Man

Achievement in film editing

Life of Pi, Tim Squyres

Best foreign language film of the year

“Amour” Austria

Achievement in makeup and hairstyling

“The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey”
Peter Swords King, Rick Findlater and Tami Lane

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)

“Skyfall” Thomas Newman

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)

“Skyfall” from “Skyfall”
Music and Lyric by Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth
“Suddenly” from “Les Misérables”
Music by Claude-Michel Schönberg; Lyric by Herbert Kretzmer and Alain Boublil

Achievement in production design

“Anna Karenina”
Production Design: Sarah Greenwood; Set Decoration: Katie Spencer

Achievement in sound editing

“Life of Pi” Eugene Gearty and Philip Stockton

Achievement in visual effects

“Life of Pi”
Bill Westenhofer, Guillaume Rocheron, Erik-Jan De Boer and Donald R. Elliott

Some of my picks.

Edit: I just want to say Anna not getting an editing nom is ridiculous. Nothing comes close to it this year. Shit the ballroom dance might be this years best edited scene.

Jimothy

In short, I fucking loved Lincoln and give DDL all the awards.

1339654516155.gif

I've only just found out that Judith Dench won an Oscar for Shakespeare in Love, despite only being in the film for 8 minutes. What the hell?!

I remember it sweeping up that year. What else was nominated? *wiki'd*

Best picture

Shakespeare in Love -WINNER
Elizabeth
Life Is Beautiful
Saving Private Ryan
The Thin Red Line

Oh wow, fuck you, Academy.

How the hell did Affleck not get nominated for Best Director?

That's my only complaint as I haven't seen a bunch of "Oscar" movies this year or in the last few years for that matter.

Javier

Beatrice Straight won the Supporting Actress Oscar for the movie "Network", and she was on screen for only five minutes, forty seconds.

kswiston

No fucking way Jackman deserved a nom for Les Mis. He was surprisingly terrible.

Other than a few strong singing performances, the entire movie was disappointing. I've seen Les Mis live, and it works a lot better as a play than a 2.5 hour movie.

EDIT: I don't think that Jackman was particularly bad though.

pigeon

Banned
I remember it sweeping up that year. What else was nominated? *wiki'd*

Oh wow, fuck you, Academy.

I remember that year. Pure ridiculousness that Shakespeare in Love won. All of those other movies occasionally occur to me. The only time I remember SiL is when I'm thinking about bad Academy Award choices.

Magnus

First year in awhile that I'm interested in seeing almost all the Best Picture noms. Been a boring a couple of years.

All I've seen so far though are Les Mis and Django. Been warned away from Pi. How long do I have?!

jett

D-Member
At least Looper wasn't nominated for best original screenplay. What in the shit were some of those critic circles thinking.

Ridley327

First year in awhile that I'm interested in seeing almost all the Best Picture noms. Been a boring a couple of years.

All I've seen so far though are Les Mis and Django. Been warned away from Pi. How long do I have?!

You should still see Life of Pi, if only for the visuals. It is quite astonishing in that department.

kswiston

Whoever warned you away from Life of Pi is not worth listening to regarding films. Obviously every film is hated by someone, but I think that Life of Pi was one of the more universally likable films of the year.

kswiston

Similar nominations happened for Viola Davis in Doubt and Ruby Dee in American Gangster.

Alan Arkin's role in Little Miss Sunshine was pretty brief as well. 8 minutes on screen is pretty extreme, but a lot of nominees for the supporting roles don't get much more than 15 minutes of screen time.

As far as I know, there is no time requirement for either award category. The studios decide if they want to campaign a role for supporting or lead actor. Technically you could have a best lead actor nominee with 15-20 minutes of screen time.

Violet_0

Banned
Been warned away from Pi. How long do I have?!

it's not movie of the year material, but should definitely watch it if you get the chance, even if it's just for the visuals. It's a very likable movie, I can't imagine anyone end up hating it.

Oddly, the only snub that annoys me is the lack of Impostor in the Documentary noms.

Film was brilliant. 96% on RT with >100 reviews; so it seems most people agreed.

Oh well. At least Django got Best Picture and Tarantino got Best Original screenplay.

Here go my predictions, which I reserve the right to revise at any time so as to avoid public embarrassment for the crime of being horrifically wrong on the internet. Leaving aside categories I have zero familiarity with (best docs/short docs/short animated, etc..)

Mark it, dude.

Best Picture

Lincoln

Best Actor

Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln

Best Actress

Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty

Best Supporting Actor

Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master

Best Supporting Actress

Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables

Best Director

Steven Spielberg, Lincoln

Best Original Screenplay

Moonrise Kingdom, Wes Anderson & Roman Coppola

Best Adapted Screenplay

Lincoln, Tony Kushner

Best Animated Feature

Pirates! Band of Misfits

Best Cinematography

Skyfall, Roger Deakins

Best Costume Design

Les Misérables, Paco Delgado

Achievement in film editing

Zero Dark Thirty, Dylan Tichenor and William Goldenberg

Best foreign language film of the year

“Amour” Austria

Achievement in makeup and hairstyling

“Les Misérables”
Lisa Westcott and Julie Dartnell

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)

"Argo" - Alexandre Desplat

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)

“Skyfall” from “Skyfall”
Music and Lyric by Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth

Achievement in production design

“Les Misérables”
Production Design: Eve Stewart; Set Decoration: Anna Lynch-Robinson

Achievement in sound editing

“Zero Dark Thirty” Paul N.J. Ottosson

Achievement in sound mixing

“Skyfall”
Scott Millan, Greg P. Russell and Stuart Wilson

Achievement in visual effects

"Prometheus"
Richard Stammers, Trevor Wood, Charley Henley, Martin Hill

That's right. I'm calling an Oscar for Prometheus.

KanyeEast

Banned
I hope these win.

Best Picture
Life of Pi

Best Actor
Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln

Best Supporting Actor
Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained

Best Director
Ang Lee, Life of Pi

Best Original Screenplay