• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

85th Academy Awards Nominations - Results are up

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Buzz is still strong for Zero Dark Thirty as Best Picture, even with the Bigelow snub. If I had to put money down I would still go with ZDT.

UberTag

I love it when the Academy posts a list of nominees with transparent obvious winners.
Saves me so much time.
I know what movies I can safely ignore because they don't stand a chance of winning.
And I don't even need to tune in to the awards ceremony itself.
They're so thoughtful!

I love it when the Academy posts a list of nominees with transparent obvious winners.
Saves me so much time.
I know what movies I can safely ignore because they don't stand a chance of winning.
And I don't even need to tune in to the awards ceremony itself.
They're so thoughtful!

By "ignore" do you mean "I'm not gonna bet on these things" or ignore as in "I'm not gonna watch em?"

The number of movies that haven't won Best Picture that are worth watching is like 16 miles long.

ari

Banned
Dicaprio got snubbed.....or were they scared to nominate him cause of the role he played?
seriously snubbed, what the fuck will it take for him to get nom in a decent role? blood diamond wasn't even his best performance the year he did get a nod.

I am still blown away by the affleck overlook. lol

Why the fuck did the Master get so many best actors nods but no directing, cinematography (WTF), or best picture... Seriously fuck the Academy. Oscars is worthless.

UberTag

By "ignore" do you mean "I'm not gonna bet on these things" or ignore as in "I'm not gonna watch em?"

The number of movies that haven't won Best Picture that are worth watching is like 16 miles long.
Oh I'll still seek other movies out. I just won't feel "obligated to".
End of Watch is one of my favorite movies of last year and it didn't bag any Oscar noms (although it did rate as the 4th best flick in Ebert's Top 10 of 2012 list).

Oh I'll still seek other movies out. I just won't feel "obligated to".
End of Watch is one of my favorite movies of last year and it didn't bag any Oscar noms (although it did rate as the 4th best flick in Ebert's Top 10 of 2012 list).

Gotcha. I was tripping for a sec. I thought we'd stumbled across the one person on earth who actually uses the Academy Awards as a bonafide barometer of filmic quality :)

jtb

Banned
Less of a snub, but disappointing to see Waltz over Samuel L Jackson. DiCaprio was good, but Jackson really hit it out of the park. Waltz has zero chance of winning because he just won for the Jew Hunter and it would've been great to see Jackson win an oscar. He's not going to get many, if any, other chances.

the movie was shit, but the acting was great. :/

Directing can have a lot to do with great acting performances, so while I can understand it not winning best picture, it should be nominated. Cinematography especially... oh and score. Every year the oscars just confuse me with their selections. I really don't get it. Fuck em lol.

jtb

Banned
Directing can have a lot to do with great acting performances, so while I can understand it not winning best picture, it should be nominated. Cinematography especially... oh and score. Every year the oscars just confuse me with their selections. I really don't get it. Fuck em lol.

It bombed and came out too early in the awards season; that's why.

strafer

Why isn't DiCaprio on the Hollywood walk of fame? They seem to add just about anyone but him.

If they can so can Leo.

Um7E7.jpg

Timbuktu

I can't get outraged about any of it this year. I mean, i don't feel anything was particularly outstanding that a snub in any category would shock me. Of all the big name directors, nominated or not, i'm not sure if any of them have put their best film out last year. I liked Moonrise Kingdom and to an extent the Life of Pi and i'm sure Django and Lincoln are decent, but does anyone think these are close the best these guys have to offer? Even with new guys like Affleck, i'm sure their best is yet to come. I haven't seen Bigelow's film yet so maybe that's an exception.

L1NETT

Aside from the asian makeup, Cloud Atlas should've got best makeup and editing. 6 stories all transitioning into each other, sometimes two going parallel, nice juxtapositions from action chase to comedy chase. So many characters that I didn't catch who was who until the credits.

I agree completely.

For instance, I had no idea this was
Halle Berry

Asian_doctor.jpg

To have actors go across gender, time periods, race and to pull it off convincingly was a feat in itself. I think the nominations are the whole ok, but this one irked me the most as Cloud Atlas was my favourite movie for about 5 years!

jtb

Banned
While you are probably right, that's some terrible reasoning... I mean was the Artist that popular? The Master also had a pretty limited release if I remember.

Well, Harvey put all his eggs in the Artist basket last year and he probably thinks the Master is a little too out there for the Academy and Django's too violent, so he's putting all his eggs in the Silver Linings Playbook basket this year. It's par for the course for the Academy to make terrible decisions anyways.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Had no clue that you had to pay for your star.

I believe it's often paid by some organisation (checked Wikipedia, it's actually 30,000, plus maintenance), like a studio to promote whatever movie the actor currently stars in.

Also, people have to agree to be present at the unveiling for them to get the star. I know that George Clooney didn't agree so he didn't get one, either.

Well, Harvey put all his eggs in the Artist basket last year and he probably thinks the Master is a little too out there for the Academy and Django's too violent, so he's putting all his eggs in the Silver Linings Playbook basket this year. It's par for the course for the Academy to make terrible decisions anyways.

True, I shouldn't really bother getting outraged. Award shows are silly regardless.

Ridley327

While you are probably right, that's some terrible reasoning... I mean was the Artist that popular? The Master also had a pretty limited release if I remember.

The award season is weird like that. As for what I can speculate, I would think that Harvey Weinstein thought that the film was enough of a sure shot that he could get away with it releasing it so comparitively early. I mean, think about it; critically adored writer/director tackling a provocative subject with the help of an Oscar favorite like Hoffman, a long-admired Oscar hopeful like Adams, and the culmination of Joaquin Phoenix's career rehabilitation. What's not to be excited about?

But Harvey is also not a stupid man, and he had to have figured that there was an outside chance of the film being polarizing, and on that chance that it was polarizing, he had a crowd-pleaser featuring another critically adored writer/director with two very deserving leads, a recent admirable Oscar hopeful like Jacki Weaver, and awakening the slumbering Robert DeNiro for a great performance. Lo and behold, The Master was polarizing, and now SLP is the pointman for the Weinsteins.

DjRoomba

Banned
Would explain why both he and Samuel L Jackson got snubbed.

I think "the academy" is less likely to recognise character-actor type roles than more subtle dramatic roles. Usually the people nominated are being themselves or playing a specific impression of somebody else. Also, their roles while memorable, aren't particularly long.

Ridley327

I think "the academy" is less likely to recognise character-actor type roles than more subtle dramatic roles. Usually the people nominated are being themselves or playing a specific impression of somebody else. Also, their roles while memorable, aren't particularly long.

Anthony Hopkins won best actor for Silence of the Lambs, despite having roughly 20 minutes of screentime in a film that was 2 hours long. SLJ and Leo are in Django for much longer than 20 minutes on their own.

Infinite

Mark Wahlberg got nominated for the Departed and he was barely in the film

I agree completely.

For instance, I had no idea this was
Halle Berry

Asian_doctor.jpg

To have actors go across gender, time periods, race and to pull it off convincingly was a feat in itself. I think the nominations are the whole ok, but this one irked me the most as Cloud Atlas was my favourite movie for about 5 years!

:D

sn00zer

Really hope Life of Pi gets something....film is just to unique (well not unique persay but its nice seing films like this from someone other than Tarsem) not to win something

Speevy

Banned
DiCaprio and Samuel L. Jackson were both great in Django, but I can see why they weren't nominated.

The roles were larger-than-life, but not in a very unique way. These performances were well worn from other sources, and I don't imagine they were very challenging for either actor.

Man, what is it with Bigelow's producers and unprofessionalism? Now one of them is tweeting what a fucked up snub it is.

I swear these guys do Bigelow more harm than good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom