• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Dance with Dragons |OT| - Read the rules or Melisandre casts magic missile

Got up to the first Dany chapter and promptly fell asleep--no, for reals!--but now I'm back into it. Wow, this feels surreal. Been waiting on this too long.

dyls said:
Me too. I thought it was just poetic justice for my having made fun of all the people waiting on the physical book, but it must be a real issue.

Is your iPad jailbroken also? I think that may be the problem.
It's on my iPhone, and yeah, it is jailbroken. I found that flipping pages a little as it's loading helps, but it still crashes some.

methodman

Banned
I haven't re-read any of the books since AFFC came out, so I completely forgot how much I enjoy reading Martin's prose. I'm just finishing with the damn prologue at this point. Lovin' it.

YES!

he17N.jpg

First one in my town to buy it, (2pm-ish), they even left their invoice from Harper Collins in it (I went back to store and gave it to them, for which they were very grateful).

Zeouterlimits said:
YES!

he17N.jpg

First one in my town to buy it, (2pm-ish), they even left their invoice from Harper Collins in it (I went back to store and gave it to them, for which they were very grateful).
Hmm, my dustjacket has different text on it. Instead of the quote on the bottom i got the "New York Times #1 bestseller on the top" (but which book doesnt have that these days).

Geoff9920

ultron87 said:
Just go to read the Prologue before going to work this morning. I liked it.

Also read the first line of Chapter 1. I loved it.

Chapter 1 First Line Spoiler:
"Tyrion drank his way across the Narrow Sea." He's back bitches!
I was definitely glad to see Martin start things off right! :) I can't wait to continue reading this after work.

Tobor

Thanks to whoever posted the synopsis website, I couldn't remember everything that happened in the third book, it's been so long. Lol.

It's already downloaded in iBooks but I'll start reading this bad boy tonight!

Picked this up at lunch time. Have almost finished the prologue, but I'm working so it's slow going. I'm going to savor this book and make it last a while.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
;_;

269081_581195453326_83504672_31635730_6675092_n.jpg

fakedit: I really don't think this is spoilery because I can't even make out what's in the picture/ the words at all and I'm still SUPER early in the book. If anyone feels otherwise, let me know.

bengraven

I love Tyrion's chapters...half the way through it. Except the one <Tyrion approx. page 300>
where he wanders with Haldon around that city before getting picked up by Jorah.

Just got out of a long lunch-and-learn meeting, checked Amazon and it says the book is on my front porch.. Hopefully someone brings it in

Damn, 6 hours until I can go home. Going to make a big ass glass of icewater and chill as I read

yacobod

Banned
if the HBO show ever gets to ADWD, i wonder if D&D will show
Cersei getting her pubic hair shaved by septas

fucking GURM.

stupei

I'm on the second Tyrion chapter. Most of our time at work today is compressing and converting video so I get little moments of about 10 minutes here and there where I'm waiting for a computer to finish running through something and I pull my nook out and hope nobody notices.

ultron87

Van Owen said:
I thought new Kindle books had page numbers...

This one doesn't for some reason. It's annoying. It'll make talking about progress with my poor roommate who is bound to a physical book much more annoying.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Decided to just grab a physical copy as I eventually intend on having the entire collection.

I haven't been this excited about a book since, well, ever!

Two hours to go!

: (

bengraven

I thinkt the first chapter that takes place AFTER Feast would be <Kindle 52%>
The Watcher - Areo Hotah's

KingGondo said:
It sucks...
that I can't read it until I get home tonight.

aronnov reborn said:
Loving it so far... on
Tyrion's
second chapter right now.....

I love his little trip. The next chapter will be even better.

Ænima

I didn't have amazon prime so I cheaped out and picked 3-5 days shipping, but for some reason the book got delivered today. Sweet.

Amir0x

Banned
So far book is really pretty good. Some early pacing issues as we get back up to speed and such though, pretty severe in fact. But it's finally starting to get back into the swing now by page 230 of hardcover. I can feel the tension building.

Tucah

you speak so well
[Jon II/Page 111]
I enjoyed the first few chapters of the book but this is the first great one. I'm glad Slynt is dead, good riddance.

bengraven

I'm at 60% on Kindle 2 and I still stand by what I said in the other thread: I feel this is a stronger book than Swords. If only because George can really concentrate on the meat he put into the book.

I didn't realize how much of the book would take place in Essos and I'm a bit sick of him introducing another city/region in Essos with it's own history and government each time (it's almost as bad as Tolkien lore-vomiting, but less interesting).

And there are a few dull chapters. But all in all I felt Swords was stronger in it's second half than the first half and so far it seems the opposite may be true...or it may just end up stronger.

sooperkool said:
Bran 2nd Chapter - No page numbers :(

Bloodraven!

That was my "told you so!".

I predicted that in another thread and was told it was kind of daft. But I read the Dunk stories and then re-reading the entire book series, I kind of thought it would make sense since
he was a sorcerer who disappeared above the wall
. I love it.

BTW, apparently the SERIES SPOILER thread is loaded with spoilers. We all agreed that after the 12th tags would be unnecessary and some people who have finished the books are taking everyone up on that.

DO NOT go into the other Ice and Fire discussion thread. There are tons of unmarked spoilers.

Lucky for me, the only spoiler I noticed in the open was one I've had the misfortune of having spoiled for me a few times already. The "Snapes kills Dumbledore" moment of the book. And I'm butt hurt by that a bit.

bengraven said:
I'm at 60% on Kindle 2 and I still stand by what I said in the other thread: I feel this is a stronger book than Swords. If only because George can really concentrate on the meat he put into the book.

I didn't realize how much of the book would take place in Essos and I'm a bit sick of him introducing another city/region in Essos with it's own history and government each time (it's almost as bad as Tolkien lore-vomiting, but less interesting).

And there are a few dull chapters. But all in all I felt Swords was stronger in it's second half than the first half and so far it seems the opposite may be true...or it may just end up stronger.

That was my "told you so!".

I predicted that in another thread and was told it was kind of daft. But I read the Dunk stories and then re-reading the entire book series, I kind of thought it would make sense since
he was a sorcerer who disappeared above the wall
. I love it.

BTW, apparently the SERIES SPOILER thread is loaded with spoilers. We all agreed that after the 12th tags would be unnecessary and some people who have finished the books are taking everyone up on that.

DO NOT go into the other Ice and Fire discussion thread. There are tons of unmarked spoilers.

Lucky for me, the only spoiler I noticed in the open was one I've had the misfortune of having spoiled for me a few times already. The "Snapes kills Dumbledore" moment of the book. And I'm butt hurt by that a bit.

I remember, and I thought it made sense but you know GRRM so who could have imagined it to be correct... lol

bengraven

Also, I'm torn. I hate what the Bastard Bolton is doing to that character, because that character does have some redeemable qualities. But that character has done some things with shitty intentions that have caused good people to die. If this was any other series I would want that character to just kill himself, but in Ice and Fire everyone is fairly neutral.

He COULD be forgiven possibly.

And then when he said <"Ghost of ____" chapter>
"I wanted to BE a Stark" I fucking felt horrible for him. He finally admitted it out loud. And I kept thinking "then you should have stuck by Robb" but I think he was so confused on whether he was the evil son of his evil dad or the best friend of Robb Stark.

sooperkool said:
I remember, and I thought it made sense but you know GRRM so who could have imagined it to be correct... lol

Exactly! For example, I'm at a chapter where a character is at the walls of a sieged city (there are at least 2 in the book, so no spoilers) and you're like "okay, GRRM could easily let this character slip inside or maybe he'll make the character go on a fucking 6 chapter boat ride to the other side of the world".

You want the first, but you may be stuck with the second and LIKE IT OR ELSE.

Coop

Tucah said:
[Jon II/Page 111]
I enjoyed the first few chapters of the book but this is the first great one. I'm glad Slynt is dead, good riddance.

That was awesome. When he said it was wrong to hang him and to bring him his sword.. damn

Top Bottom