• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A lot of the PSWii60 gen games actually kinda suck...?

Just a reminder, Vanquish and Bayonetta are Gen 7 games. And Nintendo didn’t stop making good platformers. Then you had LBP and Puppeteer on PS3, to name a couple (which can’t hold a candle to Nintendo‘s games, but they had budgets and know-how behind them that Sony would hardly hazard these days). Rayman Origins too, a top-tier 2D platformer that also looks superb. Oh, and we got Dark fucking Souls, THE most influential game of the 2010s and anyone who questions that needs a brain check. An indie game worth a damn without some Souls mechanics is basically nonexistent these days.

Gen 7 payed the biggest price for being a long, yet in-between gen. We had 3 very different main hardwares, with 3 very distinct userbases. This helped with variety, but it also meant heavy exclusivity and a good chunk of games that just weren’t the same on two different consoles (imagine if Bayonetta was a PS esclusive, we’d never have had a second game). The hardware could barely deliver true HD at the beginning, forget HD AND good fps. There was nothing to help with long loading times. Hardware was prone to failure like never before. Online was still in its infancy, and every platform was a walled garden. Japanese devs were struggling to make things bigger, while western devs were finally free to do what they had always dreamed of with hardware they knew, not with some exoteric Japanese tech that they didn’t even get full documentation for. And of course so many of them were 20-somethings who grew up during the rise of the FPS and the Marvel renaissance and wanted to leave their footprint in that genre’s history with the most ludicrous chara design and the worst writing ever.

We also realized that Japanese tropes are extremely cringey, especially when the English dub is professional enough that it turns out not so-bad-it’s-good anymore, but just plain terrible. So terrible, in fact, that even the most juvenile western shit would still look and sound like Hollywood in comparison. That’s one of the main reasons Japan struggled in that gen, not lack of innovation, HD towns or all those excuses we still seem to believe today. It’s just that all of a sudden, being a dudebro turned out to be better than being a weeb, if being a weeb meant being caught playing Star Ocean 4. And then Japan tried to catch up on what they believed was cool in the west and that’s how we got the Soul Calibur redesigns and all of that shite. But gameplay-wise, Japanese games were still very solid AND original. They simply had a very, very big image problem, which is also why something more western-looking like Souls had more of a chance to stand out.

Gen 7 had to work with many constraints. Of course it looks and feels like shit in the age of lightning-fast loading, almost-guaranteed 60fps, and stuttery giant 4K OLED screens. Take many of those games, make them run at 4K60 minimum, make them load everything in a second or two, and there’s some ridiculous fun to be had there. Just like adding some QoL features and better controls can make older games so much better to return to today. You can beat like 15 games from gen 7 before you can see everything a single modern Ubi game has to offer, and have a much better time too.

Platinum and FROM were good, but for a 8 year generation that was hardly enough if you were fed up with Western AAA. Same goes for a single above average sidescroller like Rayman. As much as I like that game, it's no comparison to the next generation that had Sonic Mania, Megaman 11, Crash 4, Spyro Remake, Streets of Rage 4, Cuphead (MS funded), Bloodstained, etc. Not even a contest.

Yeah, Star Ocean 4 was bad and pretty much a symptom of the generation - kinda proves the point. "People actually never liked Japanese games" is weird revisionism. Gamers clearly were thirsting for good Japanese games to come back, which is why they exploded on PS4 with titles like Persona 5, Monster Hunter World, Nioh, back-to-the-roots Resident Evil, Nier Automata (not altered for a supposed dudebro audience like the original) and so on. There was much more variety and most of these games became the biggest successes for each development team ever. Even a niche series like Yakuza finally had a breakthrough. Compare that to PS3, where the series was almost cancelled in the West. BAD times.

Nintendo was ok. DS was where Japanese 3rd parties went after PS2 and it's one of the most underrated game libraries ever.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What? It was by far the best gen, with so many types of games, which aren't really represented in last two gens and also almost no gaas bullshit and generally high quality indie games

Guilty_AI

What? It was by far the best gen, with so many types of games, which aren't really represented in last two gens and also almost no gaas bullshit and generally high quality indie games
If the popular indies from back then were released today, they'd be called "lazy indie copycat trash"

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
676da1cc-1932-4b32-9508-446c02ddcecf_text.gif

Things I noticed that was better.
Storytelling
Story's were more engaging and are actually relatable
Music
My god was the music from that era on another level
Audio
yes, Audio
Sure we have Dolby Atmos now but switching on a PS3 game with a PCM track is jarring, why the fuck does it sound better, clearer and has more thump to it
And it's even better then the Remastered PS4 versions, wtf?!)
Character Design
I don't need to explain this one

There was actually some original ideas and unique IP's too

What was worse?
Resolution
Framerate
Install times

M1chl

If the popular indies from back then were released today, they'd be called "lazy indie copycat trash"
Nah I don't think so, they were diverse in their style and what genre they were. Not like today, where everything is survival or rogue-lite/like.

M1chl

Yeah, and everything back then was "2D cartoon action platformer" wasn't it?
It would be hard for me to recall memories, but I don't have that impression. I remember Fez, Limbo, Trials HD, Geometry Wars remastered, etc. I am not saying that its fair assessment, but I certainly don't remember such gems from PS4/XB1 gen or current gen...

Guilty_AI

It would be hard for me to recall memories, but I don't have that impression. I remember Fez, Limbo, Trials HD, Geometry Wars remastered, etc. I am not saying that its fair assessment, but I certainly don't remember such gems from PS4/XB1 gen or current gen...
I was being sarcastic, I know very well it wasn't. Point is, saying every indie today is survival or rogue-lite/like is as much of correct assessment as the one i used for that era games.

I'll give you 10 indie games made by small or even solo devs from 2020 onwards. All well made, fairly popular among their niche, and with a total of 0 survival or rogue elements. And i'm only giving you 10 because that's the embedded limit otherwise i could easily mention twice that and more

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Games of that generation were mechanically conformist and unambitious compared to PS2 games. I think a big thing of this generation was that the people who got angry about things like controls and camera not being the same in every single game were really getting their way.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Platinum and FROM were good, but for a 8 year generation that was hardly enough if you were fed up with Western AAA. Same goes for a single above average sidescroller like Rayman. As much as I like that game, it's no comparison to the next generation that had Sonic Mania, Megaman 11, Crash 4, Spyro Remake, Streets of Rage 4, Cuphead (MS funded), Bloodstained, etc. Not even a contest.
Apart from the fact that some of these aren't even platformers, it's no contest to me. Rayman Origins shits on Crash, Spyro remake and Sonic Mania from a high place, and Bloodstained is a poorer imitation of an Igavania than many indies from the last decade - while being directed by Iga himself.
MegaMan 11 is good enough, but Rayman is in another league.

Guilty_AI

Weird. I thought the PS360 gen was pretty good, overall. Certainly above and beyond to what we have now.
It was good overall, but i feel people overrate it too much nowadays. So many of whats wrong with the industry started then and there.

In fact, half of the "gems" people are mentioning in this thread from back then were generally considered niche - if not downright obscure - games or had a whole set of caveats that made them not stand out as much.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

That's a fine opinion OP, but I couldn't disagree more. Every generation has games from all avenues, from hardly playable to practically perfect. If they're not your cup of tea, that's fine. But it's clear that a majority disagrees, and for good reason IMO.

I feel like the amount of unique and awesome games we got from that generation alone makes it vastly superior compared to the previous and current gens. The XB1/PS4 era really didn't bring a whole lot, same with current. Of course there are some special games here and there, but they're feeling damn rare. Outside of indies and AA, the industry feels abysmal and safe in comparison.

Guilty_AI

Honestly, the more i recall from the ps360 generation, the more i realized players didn't change one bit.

I just remembered how it was a thing to piss on Halo 3 graphics, not even xbox fanboys dared to bring it up in a visual fidelity discussion on gaming boards. Lots of complaints about broken or janky games, people complaining that some sequel got too streamlined or normified for the greater audiences (Codemasters, Rockstar, Bioware and Criterion Games come to mind).

Oh, and the Demon Souls was generally treated as an obscure japanese game for weirdos.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
I have seen some shit takes, but this one is ridiculous. I can't believe anyone would even suggest this was a bad generation, when most games they're still making today are basically just building off of what games in this generation did. We haven't seen any real innovation since this generation. The most popular games now are still just iterative on what the PS360 did.
True- only the production values have improved.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I had a DS during that time, which is what I mostly used. For the home consoles, I kinda agree with you. They didn't age very well. Some of them are still pretty good though, like Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. It's my cup of tea..

What!? That was the last big creative gen. Every game today is a remake or rip off of a game made that gen or before. Every game...
Spot on. The Sad Dad narrative/melodrama started that gen and continues on....unfortunately. lol.

Weakest part about that gen was a severe lack of JRPGs. Thankfully the DS filled that space.

giant mixed bag for me.

this was the gen of easy mode (flashing waypoints, map markers, cover-based shooting, etc everywhereeeee), PC games got console-ized, wii was a gamecube with a new controller, ps3 didnt live up to the hype, x360 was dying on everyone, re5 didnt live up to the hype, mgs4 didnt live up to the hype...

some great games though too.

the gen seemed it was built for casuals, and i hated it... then i played dark souls.

Wildebeest

Honestly, the more i recall from the ps360 generation, the more i realized players didn't change one bit.

I just remembered how it was a thing to piss on Halo 3 graphics, not even xbox fanboys dared to bring it up in a visual fidelity discussion on gaming boards. Lots of complaints about broken or janky games, people complaining that some sequel got too streamlined or normified for the greater audiences (Codemasters, Rockstar, Bioware and Criterion Games come to mind).

Oh, and the Demon Souls was generally treated as an obscure japanese game for weirdos.
I apologise for being over 20 years old and having already developed critical reasoning for this generation of consoles.

Fbh

Gold Member
While this is true for a few games, overall I can't agree at all.
I frequently go back and replay some of these games and I think a lot of them hold up extremely well. Pacing in particular was much better, the reason I can actually go back and replay many of them is because there's a ton of really cool well paced games in the 8-12 hours range and not everything had to be some bloated 30+ hours slog like now.

That said, playing them on ORIGINAL HARDWARE sucks ass most of the time, going back to any of these games and replaying them at 720p and 20-30fps usually looks and feels terrible. But as long as there's a PC port or a decent console remaster they really shine.

Last edited:

WoJ

Nope, not in the slightest. Still my favorite gen ever. Plus last gen and this gen is made up largely by remakes or remasters of the PS360 era so it can't be that bad.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That's both true and dumb as "a lot of" if not the vast majority of video games released, regardless of generation, suck. Hence folks are compelled to buy ~double digit games out of the literal thousands that release over small periods (even accounting for taste so it's not the same selection for all).

Last edited:

Arthimura

I disagree. I still play games from the 7th generation, and what I like about them is that they're simplier and shorter. For instance, I was playing DmC Devil May Cry and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and they are fun and still holds nowadays.

What I find boring this generation is that most triple A games are 3rd person soft-RPGs with a relatively open-world and some loot-based mechanics. As if every game needs to be between 30 and 50 hours, have a XP and skill-tree system, loot system, and a world with collectibles and side-quests; making every gaming experience very similar.

Crayon

The way a lot of people think aaa is going to shit now, I thought that back then. I still think the trend in games was shitty, but I learned that it doesn't stop me from finding plenty of good games to play.

Paltheos

Higher average of suck imo since a lot of the things I like were being squeezed out of the big development space and that wouldn't change for the better until the next generation (via some of them getting another chance or smaller teams taking on smaller projects for things up my alley). There's still many, many fun games from the time though.

E-Cat

First of all good lord someone SAVE me from this gray/brown environment induced malaise. I of course expect that some of the graphics will look dated but goddamn the art styles makes shit look extra ugly.
Bald space marines / the piss filter have always looked ugly.

RedC

Just a reminder, Vanquish and Bayonetta are Gen 7 games. And Nintendo didn’t stop making good platformers. Then you had LBP and Puppeteer on PS3, to name a couple (which can’t hold a candle to Nintendo‘s games, but they had budgets and know-how behind them that Sony would hardly hazard these days). Rayman Origins too, a top-tier 2D platformer that also looks superb. Oh, and we got Dark fucking Souls, THE most influential game of the 2010s and anyone who questions that needs a brain check. An indie game worth a damn without some Souls mechanics is basically nonexistent these days.

Gen 7 payed the biggest price for being a long, yet in-between gen. We had 3 very different main hardwares, with 3 very distinct userbases. This helped with variety, but it also meant heavy exclusivity and a good chunk of games that just weren’t the same on two different consoles (imagine if Bayonetta was a PS esclusive, we’d never have had a second game). The hardware could barely deliver true HD at the beginning, forget HD AND good fps. There was nothing to help with long loading times. Hardware was prone to failure like never before. Online was still in its infancy, and every platform was a walled garden. Japanese devs were struggling to make things bigger, while western devs were finally free to do what they had always dreamed of with hardware they knew, not with some exoteric Japanese tech that they didn’t even get full documentation for. And of course so many of them were 20-somethings who grew up during the rise of the FPS and the Marvel renaissance and wanted to leave their footprint in that genre’s history with the most ludicrous chara design and the worst writing ever.

We also realized that Japanese tropes are extremely cringey, especially when the English dub is professional enough that it turns out not so-bad-it’s-good anymore, but just plain terrible. So terrible, in fact, that even the most juvenile western shit would still look and sound like Hollywood in comparison. That’s one of the main reasons Japan struggled in that gen, not lack of innovation, HD towns or all those excuses we still seem to believe today. It’s just that all of a sudden, being a dudebro turned out to be better than being a weeb, if being a weeb meant being caught playing Star Ocean 4. And then Japan tried to catch up on what they believed was cool in the west and that’s how we got the Soul Calibur redesigns and all of that shite. But gameplay-wise, Japanese games were still very solid AND original. They simply had a very, very big image problem, which is also why something more western-looking like Souls had more of a chance to stand out.

Gen 7 had to work with many constraints. Of course it looks and feels like shit in the age of lightning-fast loading, almost-guaranteed 60fps, and stuttery giant 4K OLED screens. Take many of those games, make them run at 4K60 minimum, make them load everything in a second or two, and there’s some ridiculous fun to be had there. Just like adding some QoL features and better controls can make older games so much better to return to today. You can beat like 15 games from gen 7 before you can see everything a single modern Ubi game has to offer, and have a much better time too.
We can't forget this masterpiece:

tumblr_ncd58o5aqs1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
We can't forget this masterpiece:

tumblr_ncd58o5aqs1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

I hope you weren't joking, cause Deadly Premonition *is* a fucking masterpiece.

It's the most ambitious game ever built on a tiny budget and retailed at $19.99 only.

Has a better game world, interesting plot and endearing characters than 99% of the shit that comes out these days.

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing in this thread.
Posters are like "That gen was complete ass", then they reveal through the games they mention that they were pretty much exclusive playstation gamers.
I doubt you're going to find many Xbox fans who hated the 7th gen.
I didn't have an Xbox until this Gen with the series x and only because I got it as a gift . I had pc, psp ds and ps3. I traded the wii in when I seen mgs4 and Gta4 were on the same system for $399 40gb ps3.

Ps3 also had free online. As someone who skipped ps2 (got one after ps3 when the games were $5 a pop at gamestop). I was used to free online on pc. No way was I paying money for Xbox live and rrod. Plus I thought and still think halo is over rated child's game. Oh and I could play movies, remote play, run Linux, play cds (before Sony axed both).

Now to the games. That gen rocked for western releases. It was missing jrpgs which sucked, but for shooters ans action games it was amazing.
Resistance trilogy, Killzone 2-3, Lbp trilogy, infamous 1 & 2, socom, war hawk, gt5 and 6, Gta4 & 5, rdr1, LA noire, mgs collection mgs4, oblivion, skyrim, fallout 3 and new Vegas, mass effect trilogy, sacred 2, torchlight 1 & 2, bioshocks, just cause 1 & 2, tropico 3 & 4. Silent hill homecoming and downpour, skate trilogy, Motorstorm trilogy, uncharted, Tokyo jungle, heavenly sword. God of war 3, puppeteer, journey, Minecraft, fuel, nfspeed shift 1 & 2, grid, nfs most wanted 2, burnout paradise. Crysis, dues ex human revolution. Alpha protocol, earth defense force.

Yeah pc kinda got shafted during that gen. Most exclusives were killed off due to Microsoft snatching devs and killing studios. No more freelancer. But we fmdid have 3 stalker games, the Witcher, metro 2033, crysis, and some fun mmos while they lasted (well at least to me, eq2, vanguard, lotro, Conan)

Ps4 had many great games but not as many releases. Ps5 era is just sad.

Ps2 /Xbox Gen had tons of great games too. You know what only Gen that was bad was the late 16bit-cd/32x/virtual boy era (early 16bit era was amazing)

As for Xbox 360 it was highly overrated and the website fanboys were annoying twats that make colt Eastwood tame. How these fools forgave ms for repeated rrod and that gears halo forza only for years followed by kinnect. 360 was going to shit well before thr bone reveal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom