• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A lot of the PSWii60 gen games actually kinda suck...?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Infinite is cool, shock is awesome but 2 is superior in hindsight
Infinite really didn't live up to the hype - it was 'fine' - but nothing that hasn't been done over a decade prior.

Anyway one big thing that could have changed how the gen visually turned out is TAA (and reconstruction) - PS3 in particular could have utilized that really well (including image reconstruction) - but the research just came into its own too late.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sure. Still looks like a PS2 game though...

</runs>

TBH it looks worse than many AAA PS2 games.

but ...

the wolf of wall street idgaf GIF

Last edited:

RedC

I hope you weren't joking, cause Deadly Premonition *is* a fucking masterpiece.

It's the most ambitious game ever built on a tiny budget and retailed at $19.99 only.

Has a better game world, interesting plot and endearing characters than 99% of the shit that comes out these days.
Joking Teen Titans GIF by Cartoon Network

nkarafo

It was the generation of the piss filters and overuse of bloom.

The generation that made 30fps the standard, even though the previous gen made good progress pushing for 60fps.

The generation that killed Arcade racers. So few arcade racers in a span of 8 years and most of them run at 30fps.

The generation that started the trend of the dreaded motion controls. Thanks Nintendo.

The generation that made the transition from the good quality mature CRTs to the first batches of LCD/flat TVs that were worse in every aspect except resolution.

The generation of low quality built consoles and the biggest failure rates. This is the sole reason i stopped buying consoles ever since and stuck with PCs.

The generation that lasted longer than any other, holding back games for some time with the measly 512MB RAM limit.

The generation where PCs stopped being the target platforms for almost everything except mouse driven games and MMORPGs. Probably because of the 512MB RAM limit of consoles?

Am i forgetting something?

Last edited:

Porcile

A lot of (actually nearly all of them) Western devs really began to sniff their own arses especially after Gears of War, Modern Warfare and Bioshock came out and they all thought they were the next Stanley Kubrick. There really weren't many devs just trying to make solid good games without being pretentious as fuck about it.

One company whose output I enjoyed at the time was Eurocom who sadly went under.

Guilty_AI

Am i forgetting something?
>Oversimplification of multiple mechanics like health, role playing systems, level design, etc; for the sake of making games more appealing to normies.
>Beginning of paid online
>When every major company began chasing online games
>"Muh mature games" also started there
>Horse armor

nkarafo

>Oversimplification of multiple mechanics like health, role playing systems, level design, etc; for the sake of making games more appealing to normies.
>Beginning of paid online
>When every major company began chasing online games
>"Muh mature games" also started there
>Horse armor
Thank you, how could i forget the horse armor.

TMLT

I know i'm in the minority but ive never really experienced this phenomenon of games not holding up. Yeah sure they might have technical issues by modern standards but I dont find it hard to put myself back in the mindset I had at the time and adapt. My 360 gets more use than my PS5 tbh. After Starfield pissed me off I went back to Fallout 3 and New Vegas and regardless of graphics or frame rate they absolutely blow Starfield away, its not even close. Ive replayed the Mass Effect trilogy, GTA IV and Uncharted 1-3 over the last couple of years too, and again, most modern stuff doesnt compare imo. And the whole Mass Effect trilogy and OG Uncharted trilogy came out in the span of 5 years, and Fallout 3 and New Vegas were only 2 years apart, completely unthinkable now.

Probably the best console generation imo, either that or the PS/GC/Xbox gen.

SkylineRKR

A lot of criticism about this gen is correct. They pushed shitty ass LCD TV which were sold for a premium still. Xbox especially was horrible by having to pay a premium for extra storage and wifi. I hated a lot of things about this gen. Not to mention the fall of Japan. They tried to ape western game tropes that had just catched on (co-op, dudebro, shooters).

But, from playing strictly offline PS2 games in complete isolement I suddenly teamed up with others to play Gears of War, CoD, TMNT Arcade etc. And I could finally play SF3 against some friends I had at a distance. There was something good about this gen too. Especially at first. Oblivion, Advanced Warfighter, PGR3, Chromehounds, LoTR, Gears of War, Dead Rising, essentially all came out within the first year.

Rate of output was still fine, even though PS4 would solve the time to pixel lol. ND pushed out 4 games + DLC, 2 IP even though at the surface TLOU indeed looks a lot like UC. Insomniac pushed out an FPS trilogy, and a platform trilogy. Bethesda released 2 TES games, and a Fallout. And then outsourced NV. Rockstar did Table Tennis, bet you forgot, 2 GTA games, RDR + add on. And I guess Max Payne 3. But I learned games are easier to develop now.

Alan Wake

It's very hit and miss I'd say. Some games hold up extremely well while others feel very old. It was a long generation and the ups and downs were huge.

Top Bottom