• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Major DC TV Character Will Come Out Of The Closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

A Major DC TV Character Will Come Out Of The Closet

It’s neat that we have some of the “It shouldn’t matter” variety when it comes to queer characters on genre shows, and DC’s Television Universe isn’t doing a terrible job. You have Captain Singh and Pied Piper on The Flash, Sara Lance on Legends of Tomorrow, Nyssa Al Ghul and Curtis Holt on Arrow, and James Olsen on Supergirl.

Okay, maybe that last one isn’t canon, but the show will soon feature Maggie Sawyer (Batwoman’s future girlfriend!) and the universe is also expanding with the animated series Freedom Fighters: The Ray, featuring their first gay lead. That being said, one of the characters we’ve already met will be on this list soon.
While it’s easy to play this sort of thing for ratings (“Who will it be? Find out next week!”), what’s interesting about the "reveal", if one can call it that, is the reason we don’t know who it is yet. Per Greg Berlanti at TCA, the important thing here is making sure the audience gets to experience the development alongside the character.

He also says it’s a “significant character,” and assuming he means a series regular, it’s a pretty big deal. While that might seem like it limits things only to Mick Rory, who hasn’t shown explicit interest in anyone just yet, Andrew Kriesberg never used the words “gay” or “homosexual” while speaking on the subject.

“One of the characters on one of the shows is going to be exploring their sexuality, coming out. We’re very excited about that.”

I guess that leaves… Well, damn near everyone who isn’t already out. Realistically speaking, it probably won’t be Flash, Green Arrow, Supergirl or their love-interests. As cool as that would be, my money’s on someone from the Legends crew, perhaps Rory or Ray Palmer finding comfort in Sara, though for some reason I keep going back to Wally. Or could it be one of the villains?

Toa TAK

Banned
Totally Alex on Supergirl.

Ohhhhhhhh....you're right.

tumblr_inline_mupzag3SSo1s2cas9.gif

Bit-Bit

What if it's Wally?!

He didn't have a father figure growing up so he's looking for one....

A gay Kid Flash would be great.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Winn is going from #TeamKara to #TeamJamesOlsen.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Dark Seid will come out of the closest to let everyone know he actually really loves life and happiness.

Jetman

Wait, what? Pied Piper on Flash was gay? And James Olsen?....if he's gay why is he macking on Supergirl every episode?

Effect

what what happened???

That has to be a mistake because James isn't gay. He's Supergirl's love interest.

My vote is for Alex now that Maggie Sawyer is on the show. She's a Superman character that's a detective (professional common ground) that is also a lesbian.

ZeroX03

Banned
Of course Piper is gay. Alex is the most important character left without any defined sexuality, and they're bringing in a prominent lesbian character on Supergirl so I would guess her.

Berlanti is gay too, it's important to him and they do actively focus on racially diverse and LGBT+ casting.

Oh my god I forgot about Wozz

DELETE THIS THREAD NOW

Established character sexuality had never stopped Wozz

blakep267

I haven't really been keeping up with Supergirl that much, but Jimmy Olsen is gay? For some reason I thought he had a thing with supergirl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom