• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emerson said:
What? I've seen no mention that the book has been leaked or anything.
The book hasn't been leaked, but amazon.de sent out several copies to select German customers. Due to Prime, many are receiving it tomorrow(with a few having already received it).

Amazon.de shipped out a bunch of copies of ADWD. It seems like a small number in the grand scheme of things, but someone among those receiving it is likely to OCR the book and put it online within a week.

KingK

I've been wondering...
Back thousands of years ago, in the Age of Heroes when the Long Night happened and the Others walked the land and shit; did all of that only happen in Westeros, or was there a Long Night and Others in the entire world? I would think, since Azor Ahai is a legend from Asshai, that it would have been a worldwide thing, but it's never really brought up regarding anything but Westeros.

KingK said:
I've been wondering...
Back thousands of years ago, in the Age of Heroes when the Long Night happened and the Others walked the land and shit; did all of that only happen in Westeros, or was there a Long Night and Others in the entire world? I would think, since Azor Ahai is a legend from Asshai, that it would have been a worldwide thing, but it's never really brought up regarding anything but Westeros.
I was wondering that myself. Some summaries I've read from trusted sites seem to assume that azor ahai was in westeros, but I've never seen anything that indicates this. One thing to remember is the world has changed a lot - stepstones, etc. Who knows, maybe there was some other funky land bridge between westeros and other lands.

methodman

Banned
Basileus777 said:
Amazon.de shipped out a bunch of copies of ADWD. It seems like a small number in the grand scheme of things, but someone among those receiving it is likely to OCR the book and put it online within a week.

FUckkkkkkk... i dunno if i can hold myself back from downloading early. im definitely buying it, but damn.

KingK

elrechazao said:
I was wondering that myself. Some summaries I've read from trusted sites seem to assume that azor ahai was in westeros, but I've never seen anything that indicates this. One thing to remember is the world has changed a lot - stepstones, etc. Who knows, maybe there was some other funky land bridge between westeros and other lands.

Hmm, maybe. The Stepstones were created before the Long Night though, iirc, because the First Men were already in Westeros at that point (and the Children created the stepstones when the first men invaded). I feel like if there was some other significant geographic change after that point, we'd have heard about it.

Maybe the Long Night was long and cold enough that some of the northern area of the Narrow sea froze over, allowing the others to cross into Essos or something?

methodman

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
C'mon breh, you've waited years. What's another two and a half weeks

You're right. I took July 12th - 13th off from work like the nerd I am, and that's when I will read the book. Will not download.

PhoenixDark said:
C'mon breh, you've waited years. What's another two and a half weeks

Yeah, waiting an extra week or two is nothing at this point. Besides, I still have to finish Abraham's The Price of Spring and The Dragon's Path. Then ADWD comes out and then Butcher's new book. I've got a ton of stuff I want to read in July.

methodman

Banned
Basileus777 said:
Yeah, waiting an extra week or two is nothing at this point. Besides, I still have to finish Abraham's The Price of Spring and The Dragon's Path. Then ADWD comes out and then Butcher's new book. I've got a ton of stuff I want to read in July.

I finished the long price quartet last year, was damn good stuff. Totally forgot that The Dragon's Path came out earlier this year, I need to go buy that. Thanks.

shadowsdarknes said:
True Mel's intentions are up in the air at this point.

I tried searching for "The Great Other" on the Ice and Fire wiki but couldn't find anything
on it. Can you elaborate on what the Great Other is? I'm pretty sure it is fan speculation
no?

The followers of R'hllor worship him as the god of light, heat, and life. Shadows, being creations of light, are considered part of his realm. R'hllor's enemy is the Great Other, the god of darkness, cold, and death, whose true name is never to be spoken.[1] R'hllor and the Great Other wage an eternal war over the fate of the world. Followers believe that Azor Ahai, the messianic figure prophesized to return in ancient books of Asshai, will tip the balance of this war. Azor Ahai is also called the Prince that was Promised, the Warrior of Light, and the Son of Fire. Prophecy holds that he will wield a flaming sword called Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and raise dragons of stone.[2]
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/R'hllor

The Night's King story:
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Night's_King

Melisandre is described as pale too, which isn't proof positive obviously but still interesting. She's attempting to seduce Jon, and will most likely play a major role in protecting him from the coup he'll face in ADWD.

I can't think of a good reason why she'd deceive Stannis. Some argue she's simply wrong, and will be shocked to find out Stannis isn't special after all; but given her ability to see into the future, I find that hard to believe.

Also, Martin's ideas on her miniature were quite interesting

3hha8hp

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/38816-melisandre-clues/

PhoenixDark said:
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/R'hllor

The Night's King story:
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Night's_King

Melisandre is described as pale too, which isn't proof positive obviously but still interesting. She's attempting to seduce Jon, and will most likely play a major role in protecting him from the coup he'll face in ADWD.

I can't think of a good reason why she'd deceive Stannis. Some argue she's simply wrong, and will be shocked to find out Stannis isn't special after all; but given her ability to see into the future, I find that hard to believe.

Also, Martin's ideas on her miniature were quite interesting

[IG]http://tinyurl.com/3hha8hp[/IMG]
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/38816-melisandre-clues/
I tend to agree with the "she's mistaken" route, given mel's previous "failures", and explanations that "the flames don't lie, sometimes we misinterpret what they are saying to us though" line.

yacobod

Banned
i always thought the books described her being draped in red and having red hair, that miniature is nothing like i had pictured her at any rate.

yacobod said:
i always thought the books described her being draped in red and having red hair, that miniature is nothing like i had pictured her at any rate.
she is in the books, that link is suggesting GRRM has other ideas, since he had input on that design. Seems like a stretch to me.

elrechazao said:
she is in the books, that link is suggesting GRRM has other ideas, since he had input on that design. Seems like a stretch to me.

Yea. I remember some time ago when we learned about the miniature decision. It may be Martin just wanting a variant, but it may be him inadvertently hinting at future events.

With respect to interpreting things wrong, how could she be so wrong about Stannis? She must know his sword is not Lightbringer, as it doesn't glow like it should.

PhoenixDark said:
Yea. I remember some time ago when we learned about the miniature decision. It may be Martin just wanting a variant, but it may be him inadvertently hinting at future events.

With respect to interpreting things wrong, how could she be so wrong about Stannis? She must know his sword is not Lightbringer, as it doesn't glow like it should.
Well, it glows, it's just not hot. I think she's convinced he's the one, and she interprets everything she sees in the flames to that end.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Repost from other thread, but it's out. Time to scour bookstores in Sweden and bail out from the internetz!

MVVDIl.jpg

Keen said:
Repost from other thread, but it's out. Time to scour bookstores in Sweden and bail out from the internetz!

http://i.imgur.com/MVVDIl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Time to bail out. See you guys after Dance. :lol

Definitely need to get my pre-order in soon.

dabig2

I'm hearing that Australia bookstores have changed their release date to July 1. Can any aussieGaf confirm this?

If it's true, I wonder if other countries will just follow suit. Don't think I can stay spoiler free for 2 more weeks. Already took a peek at the new maps...
it always starts somewhere innocent

dabig2 said:
I'm hearing that Australia bookstores have changed their release date to July 1. Can any aussieGaf confirm this?

If it's true, I wonder if other countries will just follow suit. Don't think I can stay spoiler free for 2 more weeks. Already took a peek at the new maps...
it always starts somewhere innocent

I'm in Australia and I can't find anywhere selling it on July 1st yet....

Though I will by trying my ARSE OFF for it... I want to get this as soon as I can... the hole... the hole in my life since I finished book 4, and A Dance with Dragon's is sure to be SO much better than AFFC

It looks like some stores in Australia are releasing the book early too. There are several people who have it already, so spoilers will be everywhere soon.

dabig2

ColonialRaptor said:
I'm in Australia and I can't find anywhere selling it on July 1st yet....

Though I will by trying my ARSE OFF for it... I want to get this as soon as I can... the hole... the hole in my life since I finished book 4, and A Dance with Dragon's is sure to be SO much better than AFFC

Looks like the publisher, Harper Collins, is now officially recognizing the release date as July 1.

Gambit

Just got an email from amazon.de. (after having complained in another thread about it earlier) My copy of Dance with Dragons has been sent! It will arrive tomorrow. Yay!

Now, if I only I was through Feast for Crows. (I stopped reading it long ago and only yesterday started again).

Anyway, now I have a major incentive. Tomorrow I shall be dancing with dragons!

dabig2 said:
Looks like the publisher, Harper Collins, is now officially recognizing the release date as July 1.

Well that has made my frikken week!

Looks like I'll be starting to read some day this week, if anyone can help me find a copy in Melbourne during this week, or anyone does find a copy in Melbourne and can let me know... please do, I'll be at that store in a jiffy!

Anyone think that Eva Green would suit the part of Asha Greyjoy quite well?

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
Can someone please explain to me how reek brought that army to winterfell? I read his explanation like 5 times and still don't get it.
Reek is actually ramsay snow, the bastard of bolton. He went to the dreadfort, and got his father's men.

bengraven

Better turn on the wireless on my Kindle. If the books arrive and the Kindle edition doesn't come out until the 12th I'll be pissed.

Oh well, it's been fun discussing the books with you fellas! See you in a few weeks when I'm done with Dance!

JerkShep

Gambit said:
Just got an email from amazon.de. (after having complained in another thread about it earlier) My copy of Dance with Dragons has been sent! It will arrive tomorrow. Yay!

Now, if I only I was through Feast for Crows. (I stopped reading it long ago and only yesterday started again).

Anyway, now I have a major incentive. Tomorrow I shall be dancing with dragons!

I'm from Italy and I've yet to preorder ADWD. If I preorder now from Amazon.de do you think I have some chance that they ship me the book earlier? I was thinking of preordering the book on Amazon.co.uk but I'm not so sure after this.

Gambit

JerkShep said:
I'm from Italy and I've yet to preorder ADWD. If I preorder now from Amazon.de do you think I have some chance that they ship me the book earlier? I was thinking of preordering the book on Amazon.co.uk but I'm not so sure after this.

Apparently some people on the Westeros website tried this and found it to be impossible. It seems to have been a screw-up with the pre-orders they already had, but they are now aware of it.

Of course it doesn't hurt to try. If they don't ship it, you can still cancel and order it from the uk or wherever else.

BeeDog

Since all my other books are paperbacks, I want my ADWD copy to be a paperback as well. But I can't find any info about an imminent release of the paperback, only the hardback is listed everywhere :( anyone got any info about it?

Tucah

you speak so well
BeeDog said:
Since all my other books are paperbacks, I want my ADWD copy to be a paperback as well. But I can't find any info about an imminent release of the paperback, only the hardback is listed everywhere :( anyone got any info about it?

Paperback will probably come out in a year or so, that's how it is for most books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom