• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

About that Metal Gear Solid 2 analysis on insert credit

chespace said:
yeah, it didn't sit well with me either. drohne hit it more on the head when he cited tarantino and kill bill.

Obviously. Because Kojima is not the postmodern genius the article suggests, he is an average fellow who knows how to run a good team to create excellent games in terms of gameplay, with lots of detail. He's also the typical guy who'll watch too many movies and say "hey, I can use that, and that and also that for my next game. Somehow. It's gonna be cool".

What I meant with my first post is that the comparison actually offended me. For one thing or another I've read a few Murakami novels and the guy has some talent, and is definitely postmodern. Which I like and don't like, but it always strikes me, his writings are powerful and sad at the same time. I don't particularly dislike Kojima nor MGS2 (which is one of the few games I've played more than once this generation), but that analogy is out of place. Kojima gave us a naked Raiden.

And then Mark Twain. Please kill me.

Mejilan said:
I thought the MGS2 storyline was an overloaded and overly convoluted DISASTER, which occasionally, though rarely, had its merits.

I will say this again. To me, I think the story's point is to overloaded the player with intentionally convoluted plot because Kojima is trying to make us experience how information overloading in this high speed and information overloaded, maticulously interconnected society can confuse us. One simply can't trust anything anymore if you look close and understand the topic in question enough. The more you learn about one thing, the less you know and the more confuse you are. This is all thanks to the advance of information technology.

Top Bottom