• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Abyss Odyssey |OT| A Warlock's Nightmare From Which I Am Trying To Awake

PepperedHam

Really enjoying it so far.

On paper it hit on a lot of things I've been digging in games so I took a chance and I haven't been let down yet. The controls can feel a little... loose at times but I'm having fun

Yeah, I don't get the complaints about the turning or responsiveness. It feels fine to me, haven't had any trouble with that or any of the attack animations. That spinning special move seems surprisingly overpowered so far.

Yuterald

Curious to hear Patricio Meneses's score for this game. Zeno Clash II was in my SOTY last year, so I'm hoping the music will be just as good/appropriate. Oh, and the game looks cool too, ha.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So what's up with the floating wizard dude who randomly appears and changes the mood of the game drastically?

closer013

Destructoid just posted their review
http://www.destructoid.com/review-abyss-odyssey-277987.phtml

7/10

Final Paragraph:
In a game like this where mastering the mechanics is key, there's a lot to learn early on in Abyss Odyssey and it can feel slightly overwhelming. Once you understand that you're only expected to get so far in, die, and come back again, you'll be able to get into a groove that allows you to explore further and further. While it would be nice to see some more variety in the level layouts and early enemies, there's still a really enjoyable and deep combat system that's reason enough to descend into the Abyss.

Emalde

Friendly-Fire feels like too much of an additional penalty to add to a game where enemy spawns are increased and thusly your mana gain is fractioned since it's only generated from damage you deal specifically. Shame they're so dead-set on keeping it in. Maybe somebody can figure out a way to mod it out down the line.

The game is significantly easier solo since you dont have to worry about mana management/friendly fire/stronger enemies/etc.

Beat the game again.
This time with Pincoya and an online partner.

It was actually pretty manageable. We just made sure we didn't accidentally kill one another.

Also it's pretty easy to stun-lock/wombo combo enemies with two players. Just gotta pay attention to spacing so you're not hitting each other.

elyetis

Got to the necromancer ( and lost ) in my first run ( at level 10 I think ). Pretty fun, will try to convince one of my friend for some coop run.

Biggest problem for me is the lack of true save when you leave the game, everything else in the game would allow small play session if it wasn't for that strange decision. :/

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Beat the game too.. how do you unlock Pincoya?
I threw like a million coins in the fountain.

I did like 25k.

Talking about Pincoya I did her run without a single death. Yays!

She ended up Level 16

Dr Dogg

Aaaaaand done. Took 3 attempts and in the end was practically cheesing it
the fucking fish attack is a right bastard!
I think with a better understanding how the mechanics work as well as how the progression and checkpoints work now next playthrough should be a lot less stressful.

So what's up with the floating wizard dude who randomly appears and changes the mood of the game drastically?

Hahaha yeah I was getting Big Trouble in Little China vibes from him. At first I thought he only popped up if you hung around the level you were on to long but sometimes he'd be the first enemy I'd encounter. On his own he's got quite an easy pattern to follow and attack but when you're already engaged and the screen goes ominously green he becomes a right pain in the arse.

Vazra

Aaaaaand done. Took 3 attempts and in the end was practically cheesing it
the fucking fish attack is a right bastard!
I think with a better understanding how the mechanics work as well as how the progression and checkpoints work now next playthrough should be a lot less stressful.

The game becomes easier once you understand the mechanics and get all 3 cancel points to open up the combat system.I did Pincoya with no deaths thanks to my first playthrough experience with Kat. There are some annoying moments in the game because of the turning which could be easily fixable IMO and the fact they could explain the mechanics a bit better without the need of the steam guide. (Which helps but should have been in game)

Overall learn to properly dodge as the dodging isn't as easy as smash, If you find something that works for most enemies and you are desperate cheese it and always try to have a monster captured to extend your health bar. There are cheesy ways as you mentioned which I managed to cheese the final boss twice.

Still need to play coop to see why everyone is whining about Friendly Fire (you only get 10% of the damage, stun lock etc)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I take it once you end the dream it refreshes. I've played 5 hours, finished it, now I might try other characters. I did not know how to transform into other creatures until the 2nd black and white phase. Which was annoying, I knew I was missing some major mechanic. Overall I haven't gotten pass level 20, still at 16 at the moment. Does the difficulty spike (feels like there aren't really differences in the given difficulty type that's shown) or do they have randomly generated dungeons? Are there multiple bosses that exist outside the main route? Is there a way to change characters besides that one specific room? I was going to play as the monk, but I went back before I left to go into town again.

Major spoiler (just saying):
Do you have to make the mana capture technique your final blow in order to capture the enemies? I wanted to capture the Warlock, but I hit him with it late and it went away. Then the thing just cuts to the Castlevania style ending

Overall I think it was well worth the sale price, which was $9.99. I would of liked to see this as a full priced title though. There's a lot of potential.

The subbosses, if any, didn't feel like a challenge.

I'd say a solid 7 out of 10, if not a 7.5

Vazra

With Katrien cheese the spinning move special.
With Pincoya up or down regular attack.
Ghost Monk gotta try to see the easy cheese move.

Munin

Most of my runs I still get killed halfway in, sometimes even after 3-4 areas, and that's after roughly 4 hours playtime. Around Level 12 but don't feel like it is getting any easier or that my skills are improving. Still feel that the only useful special attack is Katrien's spinning move.

Like, here's the Ghost Monk move that basically makes him lunge into the air and he stays there for a good 1.5 seconds or so without any attack, but vulnerable to enemy attacks and you can't cancel it either. Just...WTF? There is something about the combat system that feels inherently wrong to me.

I think one of the biggest flaws is the way the game throws 3-4 enemies at once at you sometimes. You end up getting juggled around with no way out and can't single out enemies because there simply isn't enough space. Worst is when you end up in a really tight area and the game gives you 2 of the giant roosters at once with their huge range. That's basically an instant game over to me, or at least guaranteed switch to soldier. I feel the game should have either weakened individual enemies or fully focused on 1-on-1 duels.

I really want to love this game, the art and music and presentation is stunning but these design decisions annoy me to no end.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I take it once you end the dream it refreshes. I've played 5 hours, finished it, now I might try other characters. I did not know how to transform into other creatures until the 2nd black and white phase. Which was annoying, I knew I was missing some major mechanic. Overall I haven't gotten pass level 20, still at 16 at the moment. Does the difficulty spike (feels like there aren't really differences in the given difficulty type that's shown) or do they have randomly generated dungeons? Are there multiple bosses that exist outside the main route? Is there a way to change characters besides that one specific room? I was going to play as the monk, but I went back before I left to go into town again.

Major spoiler (just saying):
Do you have to make the mana capture technique your final blow in order to capture the enemies? I wanted to capture the Warlock, but I hit him with it late and it went away. Then the thing just cuts to the Castlevania style ending

Overall I think it was well worth the sale price, which was $9.99. I would of liked to see this as a full priced title though. There's a lot of potential.

The subbosses, if any, didn't feel like a challenge.

I'd say a solid 7 out of 10, if not a 7.5

According to the devs on the steam forums:

To capture a soul you just need to use the mana ultra on them and hit them with it. They can be then killed by something else and they drop their soul. If you hit them with an ultra and kill them with it the soul collects automatically. Something along those lines

jtenma

Banned
Friendly-Fire feels like too much of an additional penalty to add to a game where enemy spawns are increased and thusly your mana gain is fractioned since it's only generated from damage you deal specifically. Shame they're so dead-set on keeping it in. Maybe somebody can figure out a way to mod it out down the line.

The game is significantly easier solo since you dont have to worry about mana management/friendly fire/stronger enemies/etc.

I am this close to dropping the game because of this.

It is impossible to just go in at full potential and fight enemies when you're constantly dodging friendly fire. You're better off just not playing co op.

It would be ok if enemies suffered the same penalty, but then again.. they would know exactly how not to hit each other as well.

Here's hoping some lovely modder can fix this.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man, Ace Team is not afraid of taking criticism to heart.

"For now we don't have any form of save unfortunately. We had thought about allowing camps to act as saves, but never got into implementing it. We could consider it as an update for a future patch if it's a big deal for many people."

Also friendly fire on/off option is pretty much confirmed.

I am this close to dropping the game because of this.

It is impossible to just go in at full potential and fight enemies when you're constantly dodging friendly fire. You're better off just not playing co op.

It would be ok if enemies suffered the same penalty, but then again.. they would know exactly how not to hit each other as well.

Here's hoping some lovely modder can fix this.

Good sirs: http://steamcommunity.com/app/255070/discussions/0/46476691934342763/
They are aware, next patch will have some sort of option.

Vazra

Most of my runs I still get killed halfway in, sometimes even after 3-4 areas, and that's after roughly 4 hours playtime. Around Level 12 but don't feel like it is getting any easier or that my skills are improving. Still feel that the only useful special attack is Katrien's spinning move.

Like, here's the Ghost Monk move that basically makes him lunge into the air and he stays there for a good 1.5 seconds or so without any attack, but vulnerable to enemy attacks and you can't cancel it either. Just...WTF? There is something about the combat system that feels inherently wrong to me.

I think one of the biggest flaws is the way the game throws 3-4 enemies at once at you sometimes. You end up getting juggled around with no way out and can't single out enemies because there simply isn't enough space. Worst is when you end up in a really tight area and the game gives you 2 of the giant roosters at once with their huge range. That's basically an instant game over to me, or at least guaranteed switch to soldier. I feel the game should have either weakened individual enemies or fully focused on 1-on-1 duels.

I really want to love this game, the art and music and presentation is stunning but these design decisions annoy me to no end.

You need all 3 cancel points. Ive been doing 15 hit combos using those skills switching between regular moves and special moves. Each character has 6 special moves and you need to find which mesh better for either combos or as stunners to save in hard situations. Katrien is imo the hardest one to use since her reach is the weakest but she makes up with combos in comparison to the other 2. Pincoya seems to be a beast between reach and damage. Also easy to make juggles.

As for soldiers each has 2 moves you can combo with and stay safe enough until the altar. Their projectiles are shit for multiple enemies and decent enough for the 1 on 1 mini bosses.

Another easy tip. If low on health with no items or summons kill yourself near the altar where you would spawn. Life savers near the end game.

Corpekata

Banned
I'd actually say the game excels when you're dealing with 3 or so enemies rather than solo. Requires you to use most of your bag of tricks and there's a reason most moves knock back or knock down enemies. So darting in and out, getting those precise strikes, and moving on to juggle the next enemy feels fantastic to me. One on ones feel a bit bare at times.

Vazra

I'd actually say the game excels when you're dealing with 3 or so enemies rather than solo. Requires you to use most of your bag of tricks and there's a reason most moves knock back or knock down enemies. So darting in and out, getting those precise strikes, and moving on to juggle the next enemy feels fantastic to me. One on ones feel a bit bare at times.
It takes skill to deal with the group which makes it more memorable. The final boss IMO could be more aggressive but that seems to be left for the community to make it harder by beating him. The team addressing issues based on feedback already is nice. Hope they dont dumb it down.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
First roguelike I've played where I beat it on my first try.

Pretty fun though, I'll definitely run through with the other characters.

Really digging the game and got use to the movement ASAP. Dash cancels attacks is key. Dash attacks is also great to get a full knockdowns on a mob. Just going through solo and about to do some co-op. Hows the online folks? Playing on Steam BTW.

Strider

Got to the Warlock and died :(

Unlocked the Ghost Monk during that run though so once I beat the Warlock with Kat I'll move on and try GM.

Vazra

Really digging the game and got use to the movement ASAP. Dash cancels attacks is key. Dash attacks is also great to get a full knockdowns on a mob. Just going through solo and about to do some co-op. Hows the online folks? Playing on Steam BTW.

A bit messy but make sure to keep distance from your friend as it has Friend Fire (10% Damage)

Vazra

Thanks for the tip. It seems charm is a great tool as well.

I like Charm and Fire weapons. I seem to get their effect to work faster than poison and ice and in the end I really don't care much for the poison weapons considering how weak they are atm.

I like Charm and Fire weapons. I seem to get their effect to work faster than poison and ice and in the end I really don't care much for the poison weapons considering how weak they are atm.

Yup, charm has been way more consisted than any other effect for me, especially when theres a mob and you charm the biggest enemy, so good.

Pretty enjoyable little title so far. I half-wish it weren't randomly generated levels but just a tightly designed, challenging, 1-2 hour game with high scores. I don't care for Smash, but the combat system is a lot of fun in a single player game.

They really should just let you "start" with level 3 special cancel because it's so integral that there's no reason not to dump your first few points into that immediately. When something is that useful, it should just be completely unlocked from the start.

Vazra

Pretty enjoyable little title so far. I half-wish it weren't randomly generated levels but just a tightly designed, challenging, 1-2 hour game with high scores. I don't care for Smash, but the combat system is a lot of fun in a single player game.

They really should just let you "start" with level 3 special cancel because it's so integral that there's no reason not to dump your first few points into that immediately. When something is that useful, it should just be completely unlocked from the start.

Actually they could have started with 3 and add 2 more via level up by reaching level 15 and 30. Also another thing they could have done is let the characters start with the 3 special moves from the start and unlock 3-6 more. Its annoying having to unlock those moves that should be ready from the start even if they give you nerfed versions of it. I see potential for a sequel with the game implementing and fleshing out more of the concepts it explores here.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I just realised that completing a run doesn't mean you beat the game. They didn't even roll the credits!

I noticed there's a floating devil icon on my map now. I wonder what that means.

Vazra

I just realised that completing a run doesn't mean you beat the game. They didn't even roll the credits!

I noticed there's a floating devil icon on my map now. I wonder what that means.

New bosses or enemies I think. But that shows up after a completed run.

Corpekata

Banned
The devil icon is
Odin. He's basically the other "real" boss. I'd say he's actually harder than the Warlock personally.

With Katrien cheese the spinning move special.
With Pincoya up or down regular attack.
Ghost Monk gotta try to see the easy cheese move.

How do you get her spinning move special? Is it from one of those mini bosses?

I've only got two so far, the fireball you start off with and the repeated frontal stabs attack.

Corpekata

Banned
Special move locations I know of:

1. After first death, in limbo area.
2. First miniboss kill
3. Jump across the pit in the second base area
4. In the upper areas of the third base area.
5. From Pagnini 1st encounter

I know the first 4 of those are for at least GM and Kat. Not sure about 5, still haven't unlocked Pincoya so not sure if she shares in the spoils.

Vazra

Special move locations I know of:

1. After first death, in limbo area.
2. First miniboss kill
3. Jump across the pit in the second base area
4. In the upper areas of the third base area.
5. From Pagnini 1st encounter

I know the first 4 of those are for at least GM and Kat. Not sure about 5, still haven't unlocked Pincoya so not sure if she shares in the spoils.

Basically the same for Pin

ViviOggi

Any way to get the soundtrack in FLAC? At least the Steam download is 320 kbps so it's not the end of the world either way.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Bit the bullet and got the PS3 version, though I still want to try out the PC version at some point (and probably will, once it hits a bundle or is on sale). But yeah, beat it once with Kat and didn't have many problems, aside from an enemy soul spawning inside the floor so I couldn't pick it up. I don't really get a lot of the complaints I've been seeing thus far, honestly. Game feels fine to me, though the framerate on the PS3 version can get a bit choppy at times. Still, I'll take that over tearing any day, which fortunately is not a problem on the PS3 version at all. Still a bit worried about how future patch support will pan out for the console versions, but overall, quite happy with my decision.

Anteater

Played for around 45mins and controller lost input and I couldn't pause the game, so I died a terrible death around 3 floors from the bottom, unlocking the_monk from the run.

I kind of wish I could tweak the dodge and block shoulder buttons a bit, I kind of dislike having to press block first before pressing a direction to trigger a roll, holding a direction then block should work (or should be an option) as well, and just let you block when you're not holding a direction, actually I don't think left and right dodge buttons are even necessary if you have a dedicated dodge and a block button.

Anteater

you can dodge left and right without blocking with rb/r1 and lb/l1 if that's what you're saying

Yeah, what I mean is that I want to use the same button for both which is possible but requires you to press block first before pressing a direction. Having 4 shoulder buttons kind of makes it a bit over complicated. I got used to it after a while but still

nerv

I've beaten the Warlock as well on my second try and had a lot of fun overall.
Combat feels very much like Smash and the jump+dodge+jump+dodge movement is awesome.

I didn't realize until very late how integral the attack canceling skillpoints are, so I just went with fireball damage, which kind of worked out in the end I guess.

The soldier mechanic makes the game kind of easy though and I think I'd rather have a more challenging main game over doing the runs over and over.

Summons also feel very overpowered in that regard. I fucked up so much on the Warlock, but having essentially three health bars and the Siren made the fight rather trivial.

The fish attack is a bitch though if you don't keep distance and duck in time.

Aselith

Wow, wtf is going on with the down right stick shit on PC? Is that broken or? Because having an attack and interaction bound to the same stick is kind of bonkers. Who greenlighted that shit?

I can't interact with anything, fellas, you fucked up.

Top Bottom