• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ABZÛ |OT| A Journey into an ocean of wisdom

whyman

So I finished the game in about 90 minutes. Might have been a little longer. It was ok but having played journey and flower this did not live up to my expectations. Not bad if you like these kind of games but don't expect to be blown away by something totally new.

Had a phenomenal time with Journey back at its PS3 launch, but hadn't heard of this game at all until this year's Play promo was revealed. Between PlayStation Underground ~20ish minute demo and this OT, ended up pre-ordering a few days ago.

Can't wait to play in a few hours (waiting on the North American unlock).

That makes me very proud, thank you!

Vire

So I finished the game in about 90 minutes. Might have been a little longer. It was ok but having played journey and flower this did not live up to my expectations. Not bad if you like these kind of games but don't expect to be blown away by something totally new.

How long did you beat Journey in for curiosity sake?

Chopper

Just spent about 45 minutes with it. Absolutely beautiful, and the soundtrack so far is stunning. I can't wait to tuck into it a bit more and discover its hidden intricacies. For now though, bed. Enjoy, everybody!

Ogni-XR21

Loving it so far. Had to force myself to stop playing so I have some left to explore tomorrow.
Just did a section where you are swimming with fast currents which was an amazing experience.

I bet this would be even more breathtaking in VR. The scale feels amazing as it is, can't imagine what it would feel like in VR.

I've updated the OT with the exclusive Neogaf interviews with Matt Nava and Austin Wintory. There's a few more things I'm working on - hopefully I can get them finished as soon as possible. Enjoy the OT everyone and enjoy ABZÛ!

whyman

How long did you beat Journey in for curiosity sake?

I actually dont remember but I would say it felt about the same. The lenght of this game is perfect, sadly because I was getting tired of it close to the end. That being said I am pretty sure a lot of people will like it more than I did.

I actually dont remember but I would say it felt about the same. The lenght of this game is perfect, sadly because I was getting tired of it close to the end. That being said I am pretty sure a lot of people will like it more than I did.

Thank you for your honesty! Maybe a few replays would make it click for you?

Vire

No worries, thank you for your honest opinion. Journey took me around 3 hours the first time through so it sounds like it'll be relatively close depending on the player.

I think one thing that kinda hurts Abzu is.. one of the main reasons I played Journey over and over was the different experiences I got when I interacted with the other traveler and how they surprised me rather than the game itself surprising me, in this it seems like a more solitary experience.

Zetta

I wish I had more sick days so I could take one tomorrow for this lol. I've been dying to play a game like this and hopefully in the future something along these lines comes out for VR.

Urgh, the Steam wait is awful. I wanna play tonight.

Hey OP, what's your connection to this game? Genuinely curious.

I'm just a fan, like most everyone else in here [Austin Wintory excluded ;)].

I didn't want to see something as unique and special as this to fly under the radar, when it truly deserves to be experienced and played. So, I gave it the AAA OT treatment.

Hopefully it helps :)

Great Job on the OT, man. Those interviews with the devs are fantastic

My OT title was going to be Abzû |OT| Aquatic Apotheosis
but yours is pretty good too ;)

Great Job on the OT, man. Those interviews with the devs are fantastic

My OT title was going to be Abzû |OT| Aquatic Apotheosis
but yours is pretty good too ;)

I'm sincerely glad you like it!

I [hopefully] have some more stuff incoming - meshing schedules and deadlines proved difficult today. Better late than never though!

Your title was great too!

FelipeMGM

Good to hear it took more than a couple hours. I like to take my time and explore so I expect my playtime will be close to yours.

I can actually see the first playtrough of some to be around even 4h. Some of the areas are pretty huge. But standard should be between 2 and 3 hours

Are the reviews at 12 PST or 12 EST?

I just saw the Abzu Twitter page say midnight.

PST, which means 5h and 25 min for reviews

At the $15.99 I paid for it combined with the experience I've had with Journey, I don't mind that length at all. Especially where I've been knee deep in so many extremely long games. I know what I'm paying for and it's barely more than a couple of Subway sandwiches.

I really hope this reviews well.

So much love and care was put into every facet of it; I can't imagine someone just completely disliking it.

Karak

Pssshhhh, East coast always getting disrespected...not that it matters since I already have it preordered.

Looking forward to your review Karak.

Brother you see the sun before I do. That means if you and Chuck Norris want to throw a lucky child into the sun and make a wish, you can do it 3 hours prior to me.
Just saying...you guys get all the perks

Shameful that they enforced a review embargo till 3 hours after the game comes out and the pre-order discount is gone. I'll wait till the next discount or PS Plus.

kevin1025

Banned
Super excited to dive in (sorry, had to). I've avoided as much as I could, apart from little GIF's here and there, so I can't wait to discover everything about this game. So close now!

Herbshire

Play for an hour or so last night - streamed to twitch for the first time as well.

Stunning game visually - some of the scenes were awe inspiring. Controls feel good as well. Can't wait to get home from work to keep playing.

That said I did have a few issues with the camera when I was in tight spaces.

I _needed_ a game like this to break things up!

Shameful that they enforced a review embargo till 3 hours after the game comes out and the pre-order discount is gone. I'll wait till the next discount or PS Plus.

That's weird and a little lame. I would have still paid another four bucks for it without the discount, but still. That discount I'd imagine helps sway early adopters as $15.99 looks better than $19.99.

If reviews are delayed, can I get some quick thoughts? Length, story, that kind of thing?

I liked Journey, and if it's just as good, I may as well preorder

Btw, this will come to Xbox right? Doesnt seem like Sony funded it at all

Vire

Brother you see the sun before I do. That means if you and Chuck Norris want to throw a lucky child into the sun and make a wish, you can do it 3 hours prior to me.
Just saying...you guys get all the perks

True...

But that also means I have to wake up three hours earlier for work. :p

I already know I have the most stressful day imaginable tomorrow, gotta go through downtown Miami traffic, blegh. I have a feeling Abzu will be the perfect remedy when I get home

By the way, really enjoyed watching your long interview with Austin over the weekend. Definitely covered some topics I wasn't expecting and the impromptu jam sessions on the piano were great.

Finished.

This was a fantastic experience. Tranquil, calming with the odd moment of tension and fear every now and again to balance things out. Took me around 2.5hrs (I took my time and explored) so I'd say most people's experience will be anywhere between 1.5-3hrs.

The game controls very simply, like Journey you have control over the characters movement and an interaction button, so very simplistic. The game actually surprised me towards the end, I'll say no more. There's a tiny bit more narrative than Journey had, though you're still left to come to your own conclusions and it's all a bit ambiguous which is nice as it leaves things open to interpretation.

Graphics and art style are beautiful. On PS4 the frame rate felt up and down (sometimes I could swear it was 60fps and others 30fps, one occasion it felt like it dropped to the teens but there was a ton of stuff on screen) so I'm guessing it's uncapped. (EDIT - (90% of the time I didn't notice and the game felt very smooth).

Music and sound is fantastic.

I'd definitely recommend the game to fans of Journey. For me it didn't quite have the same impact but I enjoyed the experience a little more due to the setting and increased interactivity in the environments. It really is a beautiful game.

One of the best gaming experiences I've had this year.

Finished.

This was a fantastic experience. Tranquil, calming with the odd moment of tension and fear every now and again to balance things out. Took me around 2.5hrs (I took my time and explored) so I'd say most people's experience will be anywhere between 1.5-3hrs.

The game controls very simply, like Journey you have control over the characters movement and an interaction button, so very simplistic. The game actually surprised me towards the end, I'll say no more. There's a tiny bit more narrative than Journey had, though you're still left to come to your own conclusions and it's all a bit ambiguous which is nice as it leaves things open to interpretation.

Graphics and art style are beautiful. On PS4 the frame rate felt up and down (sometimes I could swear it was 60fps and others 30fps, one occasion it felt like it dropped to the teens but there was a ton of stuff on screen) so I'm guessing it's uncapped.

Music and sound is fantastic.

I'd definitely recommend the game to fans of Journey. For me it didn't quite have the same impact but I enjoyed the experience a little more due to the setting and increased interactivity in the environments. It really is a beautiful game.

One of the best gaming experiences I've had this year.

Wow, thanks for that!

Midnight can't come soon enough!

FelipeMGM

If reviews are delayed, can I get some quick thoughts? Length, story, that kind of thing?

I liked Journey, and if it's just as good, I may as well preorder

Btw, this will come to Xbox right? Doesnt seem like Sony funded it at all

No, Sony didnt fund it, the publisher is 505 Games.

It took me around 3 hours, but some people finished in less than that

Top Bottom