• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Acclaim: The end is here - Bankruptcy Monday

ge-man

Midway has certainly been making the right moves as of late. They're safe this generation at the very least.

With everthing MassiveAttack said, I'll feel like this is really the end of the road for Acclaim. It sounds like they need a complete overhaul of their management system in order to really survive.

geogaddi

Banned
So......is Spong filing for bankruptcy or Acclaim?

I willfully read the thread and responses like a kid with asperger's syndrome.

jett

D-Member
Folder said:
To purposefully de-context an argument to try and salvage your untenable position is perhaps the lowest form of debate. Let’s leave this one shall we big lad, as I really don’t think it’s worth it.

cybamerc = fucking owned.

Like somebody else mentioned, hundreds are going to lose their jobs. Most you people cheering for this news disgust me.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I did a google search and found this:
http://www.sec.gov/investor/pubs/bankrupt.htm
Federal bankruptcy laws govern how companies go out of business or recover from crippling debt. A bankrupt company, the "debtor," might use Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code to "reorganize" its business and try to become profitable again. Management continues to run the day-to-day business operations but all significant business decisions must be approved by a bankruptcy court.

Most publicly-held companies will file under Chapter 11 rather than Chapter 7 because they can still run their business and control the bankruptcy process. Chapter 11 provides a process for rehabilitating the company's faltering business. Sometimes the company successfully works out a plan to return to profitability; sometimes, in the end, it liquidates.

The U.S. Trustee, the bankruptcy arm of the Justice Department, will appoint one or more committees to represent the interests of creditors and stockholders in working with the company to develop a plan of reorganization to get out of debt. The plan must be accepted by the creditors, bondholders, and stockholders, and confirmed by the court. However, even if creditors or stockholders vote to reject the plan, the court can disregard the vote and still confirm the plan if it finds that the plan treats creditors and stockholders fairly.

It looks like Acclaim still has a chance to turn this around. I would rather see them turn things around like Midway did than lose all that talent. It appears that they just need better management, they've got good developers. Hopefully this makes them start supporting Nintendo again too. I think some of their games would sell well on GCN, especially The Red Star.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
jett said:
Yes... so very "owned" indeed.

The industry survived the bankruptcies of such companies as 3D0, Atari, Data East, GameTek, SNK and Titus but the death of Acclaim will bring it down!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
cybamerc said:
You assume far too much

Ohhh, so you didn't attempt to dis-credit various games many times over without ever so much as having seen them in person? That's the point...

We are both biased, but at least I generally shy away from bashing something I lack experience with.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
jett said:

Like somebody else mentioned, hundreds are going to lose their jobs. Most you people cheering for this news disgust me.

Agreed on both accounts. The fanboy/good-game-nazi mentality can really warp people's sense of reality sometimes.

Che

Banned
JC10001 said:
OK. You know how 999/1,000 times Spong is wrong? I so hope this is the 1/1,000 time that they are right.

I have to add to this comment that it's really hard trying to believe news comming from spong, but I'm doing my best.

Just in case MadOdorMachine's post went overlooked, here's a slimmed down version:

------------------
A company might use Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code to "reorganize" its business and try to become profitable again. Management continues to run the day-to-day business operations but all significant business decisions must be approved by a bankruptcy court.

Under Chapter 7, the company stops all operations and goes completely out of business. A trustee is appointed to "liquidate" (sell) the company's assets and the money is used to pay off the debt, which may include debts to creditors and investors.

------------------

Looks like Acclaim may have a chance to turn things around and I hope they do because it looks like they're trying harder to release better games on to the market.

explodet

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/543/543188p1.html?fromint=1

August 30, 2004 - Acclaim Entertainment, the Glen Cove, New York game company that got its start with titles such as WWF Wrestlemania and NBA Jam, officially filed for bankruptcy, has let all its employees go, and shut its doors for good, IGN learned today.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/30/news_6106088.html

According to numerous sources, including some former Acclaim staffers, Acclaim Entertainment's home office in Glen Cove, New York, has been closed and staff has been informed their services are no longer needed. Acclaim staffers were notified of the closing on Friday. Sources said the company's Austin, TX, location has also been shuttered.
The stories at the two sites aren't necessarily contradictory, but they're certainly not complimentary. IGN's all doom, Gamespot's all cautious.

WarPig

If they've "officially filed for bankruptcy," there would be some record online at this point, I think.

Not that it's not inevitable, it's just that it may not have happened quiiiiiite yet.

Oh, and by the way:

IGN sez... said:
Acclaim Entertainment, the Glen Cove, New York game company that got its start with titles such as WWF Wrestlemania and NBA Jam...

Acclaim got its start with NBA Jam? Acclaim bought the NBA Jam license off Midway. After it had been a going concern for a decade. Odd way to describe the outfit's beginnings...

DFS.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
been playing the red star a lot (fable is on my debug at home -- which is good for work productivity). pretty good shooter/brawler so far. really really old-school.

WarPig said:
If they've "officially filed for bankruptcy," there would be some record online at this point, I think.

Not that it's not inevitable, it's just that it may not have happened quiiiiiite yet.

Oh, and by the way:

Acclaim got its start with NBA Jam? Acclaim bought the NBA Jam license off Midway. After it had been a going concern for a decade. Odd way to describe the outfit's beginnings...

DFS.

Not to mention a filing with the SEC.

Top Bottom