• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According to BioWare, Dragon Age: The Veilguard is the first entry in the series where 'the combat's actually fun'

Draugoth

Gold Member
tqHimdDBFdCdoXbuQW6raU-970-80.jpg.webp

It's particularly noticeable across a run of recent GameInformer interviews, as part of their really extensive exclusive look at the game. For example, speaking about the battle mechanics, Mark Darrah (consultant on the game and former executive producer on the series) says: "Previous Dragon Age games got to the realm of 'combat wasn't too bad'. In this game, the combat's actually fun."
As a longtime BioWare veteran who worked across the whole series, Darrah's more than entitled to his perspective, but hold on now. I think Origins' more old school, strategic combat was really fun, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. DA2 and Inquisition's fights were better than merely serviceable, too, and where I do think they were flawed, it was mostly in how they reached for a more action-heavy feel—exactly the style that The Veilguard is leaning into more strongly than ever, as seen in the gameplay reveal.

via PCGamer

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Fucking arrogant bastards that don't know nothing about your own legacy.

Origins' combat was classic and strategic and served well for the game. You really needed a balance config to overcome the challenges.

DA II combat was flashy as hell. Maybe not that much rooting the CRPG aspect but I genuinely had fun.

Even DA:I had quite impressive magics and the build variety was definitely there.

Bioware don't exists any more, only retarded activists in a hollow shell.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I was gonna play it with the no-death mode at the lowest difficulty anyways, so combat complexities don't really matter much 🤷‍♂️

T4keD0wN

What a way to shit on your own games, although the actual quote is not that bad.

Origins was the first and last entry with fun combat in the series, ever since then it was the weakest part of those games, at least they realize that.

Last edited:
Fucking arrogant bastards that don't know nothing about your own legacy...
it says that the guy making this remark has been involved with the series from the first game. but even that being true, i agree: how about you just talk up how good the combat is in the new game without shitting on the previous efforts of your many current/former co-workers?...

Last edited:

Humdinger

Maybe they should show some of it, then. Unless I missed something, I watched the preview they issued a while back, and I didn't see much combat at all. What was there seemed flashy but pretty basic - although it also went by so quickly I couldn't really tell what was happening. I know you can't control your companions, so that's a downgrade from previous games.

Sounds like a poor choice of words, and they're trying to have wider appeal.
A lot of these series that have been gone for awhile seem to be trying to "modernize" some with the gameplay.

And here is where we all lie to ourselves about the combat of the previous Dragon Age games lol

Begin

I don't need to lie to myself. Dragon Age Inquisition had a warrior sub class called Revear that was so damn fun. The class involved you doing massive damage but at the expense that your life goes away. As your life drains to 0 you do more and more damage. Then you time your skills just right so that you kill the enemy and refill some of your life. You then stack\craft + health on death items so that you essentially refill your life after killing an enemy. I've put over 150+ hours into DAI because of that class it's just so damn fun to play. I also enjoy the DAI story even if the game kind of makes it hard in the intro to level up and explore properly. I've got it down to a science though to get through that beginning section easily.

Dragon Age origins was also fun as hell when it comes to the combat but it was just a standard CRPG combat which you either love or hate.

Anyways the comments by these devs don't give me confidence for the new game if they didn't find any of them fun to play.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

I really enjoyed Inquisition's combat. Granted that was like what, ten years ago, I don't know how well it would hold up if I played today.

SABRE220

Origins was amazing,Its sad to see the current state of bioware, so desperate that they will actually berate their best games to prop up their current shit effort. The only reason people are even remotely interested in this game is because they know how amazing origins etc were from the og team.

stn

Drumming up interest by shitting on their own games? That's certainly a strategy. Origins is still in my top 10 of all time, I'll be surprised if this game is even 10% of Origins. I want it to be good but the aesthetic and comedic feel of the story has turned me completely off. I don't want super friends in a fantasy setting, and I don't care if I can make a character with 10 dicks and vaginas. I just want a good fantasy game with a solid story and combat.

Too bad the combat looks a decade+ behind everyone and even Origins. Call what you will Bioware, but this doesn't look anything like a next-gen evolution of DA.

Top Bottom