• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According to BioWare, Dragon Age: The Veilguard is the first entry in the series where 'the combat's actually fun'

Fabieter

Drumming up interest by shitting on their own games? That's certainly a strategy. Origins is still in my top 10 of all time, I'll be surprised if this game is even 10% of Origins. I want it to be good but the aesthetic and comedic feel of the story has turned me completely off. I don't want super friends in a fantasy setting, and I don't care if I can make a character with 10 dicks and vaginas. I just want a good fantasy game with a solid story and combat.

It's just marketing

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Weird I only ever played the series for the combat.. lol. If they changed that I'll probably hate it. 😢

Mozzarella

I dont get this, the action RPG formula was tried many times with this genre and every single time its below average, it just doesnt seem to play well unless the game has guns.
So why bother? just make it turn-based, its hilarious to me that ARPG are more prevalent in the west despite being much inferior to the Japanese RPGs, meanwhile the opposite is true, Turn-based in the west is so much better than the one in Japan, yet for some reason the trend is the opposite, turn-based for Japan and Action for the west. lol :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Anyway, action combat works best for a game like Elden Ring, a lone wolf solo game with focus on combat, for games with party system i much prefer turnbased its richer for RPG mechanics and its better to implement.
Bioware will most likely end up delivering mediocre or decent at best action combat and the rpg mechanics are probably going to suffer for it.

Well, its coming soon, so we will see. 🤌

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
da2ot-04.gif
Happy to see one of my memes is still alive :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

laynelane

Between the trailer, 'it's a mature game because there's nudity', and now throwing shade at previous games to elevate this one - my expectations are rock bottom for Veilguard. The story hook - the Dreadwolf - was already there too, all they had to do was not fuck it up.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Between the trailer, 'it's a mature game because there's nudity', and now throwing shade at previous games to elevate this one - my expectations are rock bottom for Veilguard. The story hook - the Dreadwolf - was already there too, all they had to do was not fuck it up.
I like how they are so proud of the fact this game has nudity meanwhile any asian game has sexy outfit that show little skin suddenly the game gets accused be responsible for killing woman.
giphy.webp

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Man usually when it’s a new team making a sequel to a beloved franchise they all talk about how much they loooooved the previous ones, and how hard they’re trying to respect the lore and everything.

But for Veilguard they went full retard “everyone is canonically pansexual”, “first DA game with full frontal nudity”, “the gameplay is actually fun unlike the previous ones”

SJRB

Gold Member
What about the story, the world building and immersion? The things that matter in a fantasy RPG.

You can choose pronouns, you can choose who to tell what your preferred gender is, you can choose what genitalia your character has and the game will have full nudity.

What more do you need in an RPG? It's literally how a certain tiny but extremely vocal group roleplays in real life.

laynelane

Man usually when it’s a new team making a sequel to a beloved franchise they all talk about how much they loooooved the previous ones, and how hard they’re trying to respect the lore and everything.

But for Veilguard they went full retard “everyone is canonically pansexual”, “first DA game with full frontal nudity”, “the gameplay is actually fun unlike the previous ones”

Considering such talk is unlikely to go over well with fans of the previous games, it lends credence to the idea that this outing is for a different audience. It's kind of sad, really, for people who have waited so long for a new DA game.

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member

It's the same as in Suicide Squad, a bunch of tourists hired to destroy the legacy of a beloved IP.

These people can't get enough hate.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
That DA Inquisition GOTY edition is like 4 bucks on PSN and I kinda just wanna hate play it like most of you do with all of that marvel and star wars television garbage 😂

WoJ

That's a wild dig at the previous games and their combat designers.
That was my first thought too.

So basically they're trying to tell us they think the old guard at Bioware sucked at making games.....and that this game will be more fun then the old games and have lots of penises floating around (the whole nudity thing). That's their selling point so far. Way to go guys.

As someone who loves BioWare's output from the Mass Effect days, they are a hilarious company to watch these days. It's quite sad watching them implode. The people running the ship there are beyond stupid.

StereoVsn

That DA Inquisition GOTY edition is like 4 bucks on PSN and I kinda just wanna hate play it like most of you do with all of that marvel and star wars television garbage 😂
I don’t particularly like it and still have it on Steam and Xbox as it’s dirt cheap during sales and Xbox has FPS boost which is why I got it over PS4 version.

Mind you I always play BioWare and Bethesda games on PC so don’t even know why I did that. In any case, it’s with the $4 to just mess around wit.m h the systems (just make sure to get the heck out of Hinterlans, lol).

It’s still doesn’t hold the candle to DAO though.

laynelane

I don’t particularly like it and still have it on Steam and Xbox as it’s dirt cheap during sales and Xbox has FPS boost which is why I got it over PS4 version.

Mind you I always play BioWare and Bethesda games on PC so don’t even know why I did that. In any case, it’s with the $4 to just mess around wit.m h the systems (just make sure to get the heck out of Hinterlans, lol).

It’s still doesn’t hold the candle to DAO though.

The ability to mod out the wait times for missions to complete (war table) seems like a real plus for the PC version.

Shubh_C63

I am afraid what they will do to the next Mass Effect, guys...
Now I understand the hate for Veilguard better. They better not do Mass Effect dirty.

I am looking forward to this cartoony action adventure though, glad I had not played any previous game so lucky? me.
The art style makes it easy to make great vistas for an adventure looks extra pretty. Lets hope everyone would hate this game so it will go on discount faster :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom