• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According to Jack Kirby, Stan Lee was an uncreative hack (1990 Interview)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Onion lost all credibility for me a while back when they did a “story” on the Hudson River cleanup GE was forced to do. As some of you may recall, one of my neighbors is a GE veep, and he was directly in charge of this, so from him I found out all kinds of details the press did not bother to pass along to the public. Since The Onion apparently gets its info from other papers, the story was full of inaccuracies.

What are they, Michael Moore?

Anyway, I stopped reading The Onion from then on. (2005) [28]

wow

Yeah, shocking news lol.

We love seeing this guy everywhere but it doesn't cross my mind that he's ever been a worthwhile creative.

Meanwhile, Kirby later made some of the best comics ever.

Afrodium

Banned
My favorite

namorsue21.jpg

Read this issue the other day. In about two pages Johhny goes from wondering whatever happened to the Sub-Mariner to shaving this random bum.

Thanos has most certainly had better stories over a longer and more consistent period than Darkseid, it's damn near indisputable. Darkseid has been king goober for decades.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Stan Lee is a sales legend he came up with Power Rangers 10 years before Saban did.

Amusingly enough, another example of a person who credited himself with tons of things that he never actually contributed to.

See Celestials exist on many plains of existence, what you see as a thumbs up and thumbs down is actually your mind trying to comprehend an event of cosmic importance. If you had Cosmic Awareness you will see what I mean.

What does an L in front of their head signify???

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Stan Lee was born in 1922. When Fantastic Four #1 came out 1961 had an tween daughter and was a year shy from his fortieth birthday.

I can see why he said Kirby had "lost his mind" when seeing that interview.

Yeah none of what Kirby says in this interview matches the actual timeline very well. When you read the comics it's pretty obvious Lee's writing them. He has a certain inimitable style.

Yeah none of what Kirby says in this interview matches the actual timeline very well. When you read the comics it's pretty obvious Lee's writing them. He has a certain inimitable style.

Lee was scripting dialog, but Kirby and Ditko were doing most if not all the plotting. In the better times in their relationship they would come up with an idea together, Kirby or Ditko would go and plot it out and draw the story, and then Lee would fill in dialog and captions, make edits and request changes. In the bad times, like when Ditko stopped communicating with Stan, Ditko would plot and draw everything without Stans input and turn his pages in, and Lee would then read it and fit in his stuff where he could. Its painfully obvious in some of those later Lee/Ditko issues, as Ditko is telling the story without any thought to or need of Lee's scripting and Lee is left writing captions that are just describing what Ditko is drawing.

noquarter

I don't know how much I believe anything that Jack Kirby said in the 90's, there was a point he was saying that he created Spider-Man but Stan Lee gave it to Ditko because the drawing Ditko did for a super-hero was better. I'll look for it.

Man that's scathing.

I didn't know this. News to me. If everyone knows this why is Stan Lee so revered by the nerdverse?

Here's a good Bob Kane story (read from bottom up, fucking Twitter)
SterankoKane.jpg

Tizoc

I don't know how much I believe anything that Jack Kirby said in the 90's, there was a point he was saying that he created Spider-Man but Stan Lee gave it to Ditko because the drawing Ditko did for a super-hero was better. I'll look for it.

Here's a good Bob Kane story
Steranko_zpsbd702b6b-389x1200.jpg

Text isn't very clear could you provide a bigger ver. please?

ElTopo

Banned

Here's a good Bob Kane story (read from bottom up, fucking Twitter)
SterankoKane.jpg

Legend.

The problem with this version of events is that Stan Lee has extremely recognizable dialogue and writing style. That stretches across the books Kirby wasn't involved with. It seems pretty clear he was writing. Unless there's some unknown ghost writer behind the scenes. It wasn't Kirby.

Interfectum

Gold Member

holy.

shit.

The only acceptable response, now that we are officially in a new world, is for the American government to go Old Testament on these motherfuckers. Operation Flaming Sword. Find them and kill them. And kill their wives, their children, their mothers, their fathers, their brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles, butchers, bakers, candlestick makers. Go Super-Israel, and let them know what it feels like to be “at war” with the United States.

I have noticed that people have begun referring to Christopher Reeve as a hero. I do not wish to take away one iota of the courage he must have needed not to wake up screaming every single day, but the hard truth is there was nothing heroic in what happened to him or how he dealt with it...In fact, as far as how he dealt with it he didn’t even have a choice. We could imagine he spent every hour of every day when not in front of the cameras begging family members to simply kill him and get it over with—but none of them did so he had no choice but to deal with each day as it came.* Heroism I believe involves choice.

*Not in any way suggesting this is what was happening, just in case there are those who are paralyzed from the neck up who might be reading these words... (2004) [24]

—Comments four days after the actor’s death

Ignorance is the key, but not on my part. There are many places in this country where people to this day use “nigger” when referring to black people because that’s the word they use. They don’t think of it as a racial slur. They don’t think about it at all, in fact. It simply is.

He could be Donald Trump's running mate.

LaNaranja

That is a whole other can of worms that could be its own thread. Here are the comments from Ditko on the subject, where he pretty much says "I have no idea what the fuck was going on with Lee and Kirby, but here is what I did."

Kirbys_Spiderman_page1a.jpg

Kirbys_Spiderman_page2a.jpg

Kirbys_Spiderman_page2b.jpg

Fury451

Banned
I didn't know this. News to me. If everyone knows this why is Stan Lee so revered by the nerdverse?

He's a very personable and cool dude. He seems to have mellowed out a lot with age as well, so Stan as we know him today isn't the same Stan that Kirby knew in the prime of their careers.

But yeah, he told Kevin Smith once that a lot of Marvel characters have alliterative names so he could remember them easier (Bruce Banner, Sue Storm, Peter Parker, and so on). That says something about the depth and nature of his creative input right there.

And his post-prime Marvel output has been pretty bad, so I definitely believe he wasn't the major main force behind the most iconic of Marvel's stable.

Abounder

Banned
"Hey 80's kid, everyone you looked up to and admired back then like Bill Cosby, Hulk Hogan and Stan Lee, yea guess what? They were all really a bunch of assholes. Oh yea and to rub salt in your wound we're going to make a live action Transformers movie with sequels but they are going to suuuuuuuuck. Have a nice day!"

The quote of a generation tbh. At least all those Stan Lee cameos are going to be awesome for the inevitable documentaries about super drama

Calamari41

41 > 38
Damn, this was brutal.

I always knew the general story that Jack Kirby was way more important than Stan Lee, but I had no idea that it went to this extent.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I suspect the truth is that two talented, but egotistical, personalities worked miracles together for a while and then split under bad terms. From there on, it was "I did all this" and "No, I did all this." When the truth was very likely that they both did things together. I doubt either one of them would have been successful without the other. Kirby was king of the pencil, but Stan's dialogue is very much his and very much part of how the characters came to be known. I don't believe that Kirby came up with all of the dialogue and names for everybody, as he started to claim after they broke up. Stan was also very likely a dickhole during his heyday, as well.

Either way, they're both legends and the comic world already misses Kirby and it'll miss Stan when he's gone too.

Garlador

Even if there was a lot of bad blood, rarely, if ever, have I ever seen Stan Lee speak ill of Jack Kirby.

Two sides of every story and all that, but Stan Lee's interview about Jack Kirby last year with Playboy was... pretty interesting.

"I always tried to show them[Kirby and Ditko] in the most favorable light, even in the credits. There was never a time when it just said 'by Stan Lee.' It was always 'by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko' or 'by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.' I made sure their names were always as big as mine," Lee said.

"As far as what they were paid, I had nothing to do with that. They were hired as freelance artists, and they worked as freelance artists. At some point they apparently felt they should be getting more money. Fine, it was up to them to talk to the publisher. It had nothing to do with me. I would have liked to have gotten more money too. I never made an issue of it."

"And twice, not once, I offered a job to Jack Kirby. I said to him, 'Jack, why don’t you work for Marvel with me?' I was the art director at the time. I said, 'You be the art director. I’ll just be the editor and head writer, and you’ll have that security.' He wouldn’t do it. He didn’t want to," Lee said. "I would have loved him to work side by side with me. I used to marvel at the way Jack drew. He would draw something as if it had appeared in his mind and he was just tracing what he had thought of already. I never saw a man draw as quickly as Jack did. 'Come work with me, Jack,' I said. But he said no. He didn’t want a staff job. With him, as with Ditko, I don’t see where they were unfairly treated.

"I’ll tell you, the last thing Jack Kirby said to me was very strange. I met him at a comic-book convention right before the end," Lee said. "He wasn’t that well. He walked over and said, 'Stan, you have nothing to reproach yourself about.' He knew people were saying things about me, and he wanted to let me know I hadn’t done anything wrong in his eyes. I think he realized it. Then he walked away."

"I’m sorry anybody feels there’s any acrimony. I loved them both.”

I clicked on this wondering if it was the Comics Journal interview I read ages ago, and it was.

Interestingly, the Journal later did a really great piece comparing Lee/Kirby stories to just Kirby stories, to see if all Lee did was the dialogue. They concluded that no, they must have both had input, since the Kirby solo stuff often refutes or counters some of the themes of the Lee/Kirby stuff.

There are some stories that flesh out the Marvel Method a lot more-- it seems like often there was a planning session with both of them (or Lee/Ditko, or whomever), then the artist would go off and draw the story, and then the writer would dialogue it. In the case of Lee/Kirby, it seems Kirby would often go off on big tangents that weren't in the plotting session and Lee would get the pages back and not know what was going on. Silver Surfer, famously and supposedly, was not in the plotting session for the first Galactus story. Kirby envisioned him as completely alien, which he was-- but when Lee later wrote him, he had a quite humanistic background.

I think it's also well-know that Lee would have a lot of people ghost-write the dialogue for him over time, so that he wasn't really involved past the plotting. Roy Thomas is said to have started as Lee's ghost writer on a lot of stuff. Which is probably why Kirby made such nasty fun of him in his parody in Mister Miracle.

Slayven

Read this issue the other day. In about two pages Johhny goes from wondering whatever happened to the Sub-Mariner to shaving this random bum.
They didn't fuck around back then.

What does an L in front of their head signify???
You are Loser Supreme for that universe

Even if there was a lot of bad blood, rarely, if ever, have I ever seen Stan Lee speak ill of Jack Kirby.

Two sides of every story and all that, but Stan Lee's interview about Jack Kirby last year with Playboy was... pretty interesting.

I never heard Stan Lee speak bad about anyone. And I sure he knows where a lot of bodies are buried.

Sanjuro

This is how I've always felt. The comic industry was the wild west in terms of artists / writers vs. DC / Marvel. In the end, there are endless stories about who deserves what credit.

Kirby seemed to have become a crazed introvert, where Lee could handle an extroverted personality as editor and spokesman. Kirby always seemed to receive his credit when due, but just couldn't get past Lee's popularity with the Marvel publications.

Viewt

Yeah, if you've read anything about the early days of Marvel or Jack Kirby (I'd recommend Tales to Astonish, though Marvel: The Untold Story also has some good stuff), this is well-documented.

I won't defend Marvel or Stan's treatment of Jack, but I won't demonize Stan to the point that I'd say he's a talentless hack. Stan's marketing skills were and, to some extent, still are ridiculous. He was also an EXTREMELY accomplished editor, one of the best to ever work in publishing. Just think about how many books he was credited with writing (even if he was just a creative consultant, this is still a crazy amount of work), while still wining and dining Hollywood execs trying to get a Marvel film universe going, something that's only now being realized. Dude is straight-up brilliant, and there's no way Marvel would be where it is today without him, straight up.

Did he take way too much credit? Yes, of course. Did he treat his artists/writers badly, including Jack Kirby? Oh yeah. But he wasn't some lucky schmoozer who lucked into everything he's achieved. Dude worked HARD.

Now Bob Kane, fuck that guy.

Yeah, if you've read anything about the early days of Marvel or Jack Kirby (I'd recommend Tales to Astonish, though Marvel: The Untold Story also has some good stuff), this is well-documented.

I won't defend Marvel or Stan's treatment of Jack, but I won't demonize Stan to the point that I'd say he's a talentless hack. Stan's marketing skills were and, to some extent, still are ridiculous. He was also an EXTREMELY accomplished editor, one of the best to ever work in publishing. Just think about how many books he was credited with writing (even if he was just a creative consultant, this is still a crazy amount of work), while still wining and dining Hollywood execs trying to get a Marvel film universe going, something that's only now being realized. Dude is straight-up brilliant, and there's no way Marvel would be where it is today without him, straight up.

Did he take way too much credit? Yes, of course. Did he treat his artists/writers badly, including Jack Kirby? Oh yeah. But he wasn't some lucky schmoozer who lucked into everything he's achieved. Dude worked HARD.

Now Bob Kane, fuck that guy.

All of this, especially the book recommendation.

And for what it's worth, all the News Gods bashing really does highlight one thing-- Kirby needed an editor. I loved a lot of stuff *about* the New Gods, but the stories are rough and the dialogue terrible. But I am sure after having Lee over-claim credit on so much of his stuff, Kirby wanted to self-edit so that wouldn't happen again.

I still think the New Gods could be a great ongoing, if given to somebody with the right skills. Look what various writers at Marvel have made out of fricking Groot and Rocket Raccoon.

Because a bitter old man said some crazy shit?

If you read more about this, you can narrow in pretty clearly to what really went down, and Lee is still pretty hateable even after he's given due creative credit.

Parch

The history of the comic book industry isn't pretty, and it's not just Marvel. That road is littered with disgruntled creators, and now that there's significant money involved, the creative rights are fought over even more.

It's understandable, but what the industry was at the time has to be taken into consideration. Writers and artists were considered employees and that's just how comic companies were run. Quite often it was a collaboration over a lot of different titles involving multiple writers, artists and editors. It was a company of many, not individuals. But now, fighting over who owns what and who created what has just led to a lot of bad blood.

That's the reality of the history. Unfortunate, but that's the way it was. For the most part they've sorted it out and creators are getting the proper credit now, but the bad blood doesn't heal. Creating villains within the industry is the unfortunate aftermath.

noquarter

That is a whole other can of worms that could be its own thread. Here are the comments from Ditko on the subject, where he pretty much says "I have no idea what the fuck was going on with Lee and Kirby, but here is what I did."

I know that Kirby also has a chance to work on it, but there was an interview where he pretty much tried to take credit for Ditkos Spiderman. What is really funny is that Ditko worked at a costume place that sold a 'Spider Man' costume that does look similar to Spider Man.

DarkFlow

Banned
All of this, especially the book recommendation.

And for what it's worth, all the News Gods bashing really does highlight one thing-- Kirby needed an editor. I loved a lot of stuff *about* the New Gods, but the stories are rough and the dialogue terrible. But I am sure after having Lee over-claim credit on so much of his stuff, Kirby wanted to self-edit so that wouldn't happen again.

I still think the New Gods could be a great ongoing, if given to somebody with the right skills. Look what various writers at Marvel have made out of fricking Groot and Rocket Raccoon.

If you read more about this, you can narrow in pretty clearly to what really went down, and Lee is still pretty hateable even after he's given due creative credit.
I've read the untold stories book. Nothing in it made Stan look horrible. Self centered, and fame chasing maybe, but not a total dick bag like Kriby would have you believe.

I've read the untold stories book. Nothing in it made Stan look horrible. Self centered, and fame chasing maybe, but not a total dick bag like Kriby would have you believe.

I don't think he's close to as bad as Kirby asserts, but I've read plenty that make me think I'd have hated working with him.

Dude claimed credit for Captain America once, for Christ's sake.

kswiston

Look what various writers at Marvel have made out of fricking Groot and Rocket Raccoon.

See, I think that this overselling the original depictions of the character. Sometimes subsequent writers take a mediocre character and make it amazing. That doesn't retroactively make the original design amazing.

Parch

Sure there's some bad blood and bad history, but grabbing a few quotes to sum up the guy doesn't tell the whole story of the industry at the time. Comic fans making Stan Lee a villain does get out of hand.

See, I think that this overselling the original depictions of the character. Sometimes subsequent writers take a mediocre character and make it amazing. That doesn't retroactively make the original design amazing.

What I meant was that if you can make lame characters like Groot and Rocket good, imagine what you can do with a good foundation *and* good writers.

Not all Fourth World characters are great, of course, but many of them are. And the original premise was great.

This is true.

There's an alternate universe where Claremont never exhumed that weird looking Wolverine D-lister.

Kirby sounds to me like an artist who only realized he should have been on the business end of things way too late. I know the feeling. Being an artist is a terrible way to make money and own creations, at least in the capacity he was working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom