• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

GSR

Someone I know on CR who's very into Japanese detective fiction just finished the game. Their thoughts (no spoilers):

Overall impressions (in non-logical order):
- My clear time: precisely 18 hours (in one single session... Did put it on standby and all of course, but never shut the game down until now... =_=)
- Definitely a GK team game, with a bigger theme for the whole game
- And they have troubles structuring that theme / overall storyline in a streamlined way
- I did like how they tried to build on the problems raised in GS4
- Kokone is a Mary Sue, from beginning until the end
- The second and third case I liked the best personally
- Great music overall
- Animation was pretty much useless...
- Super easy
- 'Cameo's/recurring characters are handled badly (not as in personality, but as in tying them up to the plot)
- Odoroki/Apollo's role is awesome in this story. They should have done this to him in GS4

Fey

Banned
Does "animation" mean the cutscenes?

And these complaints make sense, I suppose, given the team that made this game. :s

The only case I haven't finished in all of the English games was 1-5, so I went ahead and played through that yesterday.

Damn, that was awesome. I did BS my way through the evidence law part, however, and unfortunately I was spoiled on much of the case.

GSR

So I'm a little bit into case 3 now, and I thought I'd give my thoughts so far:
  • The writing so far has been quite good. Cases one and two were very fun, and case one in particular did a good job of holding interest.
  • I mean that in the character sense as well - I haven't met any characters I don't really care for yet.
  • The music is excellent, though I'm a little bummed they didn't remix the Perceive theme at all.
  • Trucy pretty much got shoved off to the side after the first half hour or so of case 2. I hope she has a bigger role later on.
  • The animations are superb.
  • The game generally just feels polished. Little things like the back log, the investigation memo... it all comes together well.
  • Simon is a really tough prosecutor, especially coming off a run of AJ and going up against Klavier.
  • My one complaint is that the game is quite easy. Neither of the culprits have put up too strong of a fight so far.

So thus far I've really enjoyed it. I hear cases 4 and 5 are a little rockier, but we'll see how it goes.

Also I've been taking a buttload of screenshots if anyone wants some. (Non-spoiler, of course.)

PK Gaming

So I'm a little bit into case 3 now, and I thought I'd give my thoughts so far:
  • The writing so far has been quite good. Cases one and two were very fun, and case one in particular did a good job of holding interest.
  • I mean that in the character sense as well - I haven't met any characters I don't really care for yet.
  • The music is excellent, though I'm a little bummed they didn't remix the Perceive theme at all.
  • Trucy pretty much got shoved off to the side after the first half hour or so of case 2. I hope she has a bigger role later on.
  • The animations are superb.
  • The game generally just feels polished. Little things like the back log, the investigation memo... it all comes together well.
  • Simon is a really tough prosecutor, especially coming off a run of AJ and going up against Klavier.
  • My one complaint is that the game is quite easy. Neither of the culprits have put up too strong of a fight so far.

So thus far I've really enjoyed it. I hear cases 4 and 5 are a little rockier, but we'll see how it goes.

Also I've been taking a buttload of screenshots if anyone wants some. (Non-spoiler, of course.)

Heh, I was specifically looking forward to this. I hope the 4th and 5th cases end up being good.

PS: Athena's Objection theme sounds good, but I bet it sounds even better with context.

FluxWaveZ

Yep, this is the moment I unsubscribe. Would have liked to have had an NA release date before needing to do that; a July or early August release date would have been nice looking at the big titles coming out later.

Lusankya

Someone needs to tell me if Maya is in the game. It's the one thing I don't mind getting spoiled for me. I need to know. :(

Yes, but only in a very short scene and not with a 3d model

Yep, this is the moment I unsubscribe. Would have liked to have had an NA release date before needing to do that; a July or early August release date would have been nice looking at the big titles coming out later.

Why? There won't be any unmarked spoilers in this thread.

Moonlight

Banned
Yes, but only in a very short scene and not with a 3d model
All I needed to know, thanks.

And goddamn, AA5's OST is sounding so good from the tidbits I've seen. Although what'd be even better than a remixed Apollo Objection theme is a remixed Apollo Cornered theme. Best of its' sort in the series, IMO.

Drago

I want to click on the Maya spoiler so bad but I can't bring myself to do it...

When is this game releasing in the west Capcom?! Sooner or later I won't be able to resist spoilers :(

GSR

Finished the game. It was pretty good, but here are my general thoughts:
  • Presentation was superb. Graphics, music, gameplay systems... everything came together spectacularly.
  • The game was pretty easy. Only one or two of the culprits put up a really serious fight.
  • The pacing of the final two cases is really strange. It might work better for some people than it did for me.
  • The two 'filler cases' (cases 2 and 3) were really strong, and will probably go down on the books as the best filler cases.
  • The new characters were very well-handled.
  • Apollo's portrayal is much improved from AJ, and Phoenix does well as head of the agency.
  • Unfortunately, most of the other returning characters weren't handled nearly as well. Most of them are pretty much background noise. It's like the team realized AAI/AAI2 was leaning too heavily on returning characters but then went all the way in the other direction.
  • Gameplay-wise, my only real complaint is that they took out the option to examine areas at any time and restricted it to a few crime scenes. I miss the ambient dialogue you could get that way.

Lusankya

Sounds pretty good to me. I am fine with Pearly and Edgeworth not having such an important role (but they do more than just saying "Hello, I am here, bye."?), but for Trucy I wished they had more to tell about her. Wasn't Yamazaki telling us that Trucy had her own scenario in the game?

For the game being easy: I wonder if that's because it's actually easier than the predecessors or because we are all now seasoned series veterans and just know by heart how to spot all the contradictions? ;)

Finished the game. It was pretty good, but here are my general thoughts:
  • Presentation was superb. Graphics, music, gameplay systems... everything came together spectacularly.
  • The game was pretty easy. Only one or two of the culprits put up a really serious fight.
  • The pacing of the final two cases is really strange. It might work better for some people than it did for me.
  • The two 'filler cases' (cases 2 and 3) were really strong, and will probably go down on the books as the best filler cases.
  • The new characters were very well-handled.
  • Apollo's portrayal is much improved from AJ, and Phoenix does well as head of the agency.
  • Unfortunately, most of the other returning characters weren't handled nearly as well. Most of them are pretty much background noise. It's like the team realized AAI/AAI2 was leaning too heavily on returning characters but then went all the way in the other direction.
  • Gameplay-wise, my only real complaint is that they took out the option to examine areas at any time and restricted it to a few crime scenes. I miss the ambient dialogue you could get that way.

Sounds fantastic, can't wait to play this!

rekameohs

Banned
It'll be hard for a filler case to be better than Turnabout Samurai or Rise From the Ashes from the first game, but I'm super excited. I always liked standalone stories like that.

That's... honestly pretty disappointing. How could they ditch Maya? She's the ultimate sidekick, the second half of the indomitable combo of Phoenix & Maya.

That kinda ruins it for me, honestly.
What's Phoenix without Maya? It's like bonnie without clyde, sonny without cher. Bah.

Wazzy

Banned

Spoiler tag this please.

Anyway I disagree. While it's disappointing to hear
Maya isn't physically in the game, it's not a huge game changer. He doesn't have to always have Maya. Ema was in the 5th case for the first game and that was one of the best in the series

I'm wondering if Iris is mentioned at all but I get the feeling she isn't.

Spoiler tag this please.

Anyway I disagree. While it's disappointing to hear
Maya isn't physically in the game, it's not a huge game changer. He doesn't have to always have Maya. Ema was in the 5th case for the first game and that was one of the best in the series

I'm wondering if Iris is mentioned at all but I get the feeling she isn't.
I would think if you like Maya, you'd want to know
she has almost zero presence in the new game,
or if you did not, you wouldn't care at all, but so be it. S tagged up.

Wazzy

Banned

*scratches head*

You know...the whole point of spoiler-tagging was so that people didn't get spoiled on Maya being back or not, right? So you should spoiler tag this post too. The game won't be out for awhile for NA fans and JP fans are still playing it. so we should be spoiler tagging everything.

Edit- Welp, you edited so I guess just ignore my post. xD Anyways I have a couple friends who are huge Maya fans but don't want to know a single spoiler. Some people do and some don't so we should still respect that.

Hit something of a roadblock in Case 2 of AA5, so I'm pretty much done with the game until the English version comes out. I'm at least glad I have a physical copy of some sort now. (And the black box matches the DS cases I have for the rest of the series, so yay for color parity)

I just noticed on the back of the box that the MT Framework Mobile logo is there. Guess that explains the visuals looking as fantastic as they do.

Lusankya

Ok, that's it for me listening to the ost on youtube. Now, suddenly all tracks have spoiler videos in the "recommended videos" column. :mad:

GSR

Ok, that's it for me listening to the ost on youtube. Now, suddenly all tracks have spoiler videos in the "recommended videos" column. :mad:

And yet when I upload a clearly-spoiler-labeled video of case 1, Capcom takes it down immediately. Go figure.

Top Bottom