• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

Burnburn

I played the first three AA's last month and finished up AA3 a few days ago. I'm really enjoying the series!

AA3 is awesome, man that game was amazing. The last case gave me this amazing high and I was actually sad that it ended. I've now decided to go on and play AA4, but I can't get in it for some reason. Coming from that AA3 high and then... starting a slow tutorial, it's a bit... meh. I think I played too many VN/ADV games lately and am a bit burned out by them. But the stupid thing now is; I already started AA4 and now I know that Phoenix
has a daughter and his badge has been taken from him
and I really want to know what happend, but I just can't pay any attention!

Instead of that I decided to watch the Ace Attorney movie, and I have to say; I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I decided to watch it with a friend, with who I never watched a Japanese film with before, so I was a bit afraid he wouldn't like it. He also enjoyed the movie very much. He did get pretty much all twists 2-3 minutes before they got revealed, so maybe the plot of the movie is a bit too "simple". However, since it's more a "fan service" movie, I don't think they aimed for a "complicated" story, but wanted to please the fans.

My personal rating at this point:
3>2>1

Sorian

Banned
I played the first three AA's last month and finished up AA3 a few days ago. I'm really enjoying the series!

AA3 is awesome, man that game was amazing. The last case gave me this amazing high and I was actually sad that it ended. I've now decided to go on and play AA4, but I can't get in it for some reason. Coming from that AA3 high and then... starting a slow tutorial, it's a bit... meh. I think I played too many VN/ADV games lately and am a bit burned out by them. But the stupid thing now is; I already started AA4 and now I know that Phoenix

Instead of that I decided to watch the Ace Attorney movie, and I have to say; I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I decided to watch it with a friend, with who I never watched a Japanese film with before, so I was a bit afraid he wouldn't like it. He also enjoyed the movie very much. He did get pretty much all twists 2-3 minutes before they got revealed, so maybe the plot of the movie is a bit too "simple". However, since it's more a "fan service" movie, I don't think they aimed for a "complicated" story, but wanted to please the fans.

3>2>1

I can certainly relate to going from the high feeling of 3 to the mediocre feeling of 4 in a short time frame. Give 4 a shot, it'll never truly shine, unfortunately, but judging from what you have written in your spoiler, you'll enjoy the middle of the 4th case quite a bit.

Case 3 in AA2 wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be. I actually liked it. I'm guessing you guys lowering my expectations help a bit because I went into it expecting complete shit

Shengar

3>2>1

AA3 closure is a perfection that I personally think no future AA title would ever match. That built up, foreshadowing, everything.....it just perfect.
I shed my tears when Godot's said that a lawyer could only cry when all is finally over, with that blood running down on his cheek

Shengar

Yeah, my finger itching to redeem those credit code from SMT+FE promotion. I hope a fixed release could ease it up a bit.

Artemisia

Banned
Let's pray we get a release date for AA5 in the upcoming Nintendo Direct.

BavUB.gif

Busaiku

I'm guessing we won't get it here until after Professor Layton and the Azran Legacies.
I'm guessing that'll be a February or March release, and then Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney in Summer or later.

Interesting. So it's 2014 for the US and "Early 2014" for Europe. Considering Europe also gets PL6 earlier (November 2013) I'll guess we'll also gett PLvAA earlier. :)
PL6, PLvsAA, Bravely Default... Man... A lot of the games that I'm looking forward to are in the EU first! >_<

I guess yeah, NoE is probably handling localization, but still... It hurts to wait. Especially when spoilers will be popping up in a language I can actually understand! Urgh... It's going to be a fun year...

A question for people who have played Dual Destinies: is there a "Presto!" version of the cross-examination theme like there is in AAI? If so, is it a different melody from the "Moderato" and "Allegro" versions as well?

GSR

Also, the DLC case got a date/price in Japan. August 15th for 400 yen (~$4.13) until September 12th, 800 yen (~$8.25) after that.

That's disappointing, considering it's the main team from AAI. =(

That was one of the small disappointments I had with the music. They make up for it a bit though by making the Pursuit variation a full-song variation like in AA1-AA3 rather than just having an adjusted intro like in AJ and the AAI games.

Lusankya

There also will be an art book:

De26GKQ.jpg

You can find it in the newest blog entry and it is called "Ace Attorney 5 Official Visual Book". Release date should be the 6th September and apparently that's not the final cover art. Google translate tells me something like: "&#8251; Because of production during the image is different from the real product"

Lusankya

Just a heads up, Capcom USA is asking for questions to submit to Motohide Eshiro, and we get to submit three each, so I think this is another good way to show our support for a physical release of AA5 and for some news on AAI2.

No, it's not.

NOTE: We know you have a lot of questions that aren’t specific to the game content such as a release date, a physical release for Dual Destinies, pricing, etc., all of which are perfectly valid. Just keep in mind that this is a rare opportunity to ask the guy with arguably the most inside Dual Destinies knowledge of the Ace Attorney series anything you’d like about the upcoming game. Try and use them wisely on things we haven’t answered before or will probably answer soon, ya know? You’ve got until AUGUST 12th to submit your questions to me via PM. We’ll make up a post here on Unity shortly after that.

No, it's not.

They didn't say you couldn't ask those questions. ("All of which are perfectly valid.") And most people are gonna ask about those anyway.

There's no point in asking about AA5 plot, characters, etc. specifically, because we'll learn all that by playing it. It's a better opportunity to push for these issues that are still facing the English AA fanbase rather than waste them on questions that will have little to no bearing on the community. (All of the inconsequential things will be covered ad nauseum anyway.)

DaBoss

Wow, $8.25 is a lot, but $4.13 seems pretty good. I hope they do a half price thing for the first month or whatever for all DLC.

Wow, $8.25 is a lot, but $4.13 seems pretty good. I hope they do a half price thing for the first month or whatever for all DLC.

Well, it seems fine to me because
from what I heard, this $40 (plus tax) game has 5 cases. If we were to divide up each case individually, they would be worth $8 each. $8.25 seems like a fair price for a full case.

DaBoss

Well, it seems fine to me because
from what I heard, this $40 (plus tax) game has 5 cases. If we were to divide up each case individually, they would be worth $8 each. $8.25 seems like a fair price for a full case.

That's true. I can't imagine it being cheap either since they have to create new character models, new dialogue, animations, and etc. There may be music unique to cases right?

Artemisia

Banned
Yall are gonna be waiting a long ass time.

I've already spoiled myself a few years ago so it's not like I'll gain anything by playing the patched version over watching the translated Let's Play.

Lusankya

Nope, they're making good progress now. A new translator joined the group and they made a concentrated effort this summer, so they're nearly finished with case 5. Of course after the translation there is still the localization, the inserting, the testing and bugfixing, etc.

I've already spoiled myself a few years ago so it's not like I'll gain anything by playing the patched version over watching the translated Let's Play.

Except for like, solving the puzzles on your own as opposed to watching someone else solve them for you.

Qurupeke

Yay, I found Apollo Justice on sale just in time for AA5.Well, Capcom said it isn't necessary to play the previous games but I wanted to know who the magician girl, the guitar guy and the others were. Some questions though.

I have played the previous 3 AA games on WiiWare. How different are they on DS? I guess Apollo Justice is like the "Rise of the Ashes" case with different features, right? Also how long is it?

Neol

Yay, I found Apollo Justice on sale just in time for AA5.Well, Capcom said it isn't necessary to play the previous games but I wanted to know who the magician girl, the guitar guy and the others were. Some questions though.

I have played the previous 3 AA games on WiiWare. How different are they on DS? I guess Apollo Justice is like the "Rise of the Ashes" case with different features, right? Also how long is it?

Never played the WiiWare versions but considering the other AA ports I say its about the same minus the touchscreen parts. On regards to the gameplay, it fully utilizes the touchscreen in most the cases like the "Rise of the Ashes" case which is a nice touch.

It's length is typical with 4 cases.

Frolow

Banned
Finished AAI's fourth case yesterday, easily my favorite one so far.
The way they played up Edgeworth being the murderer at the beginning was brilliant in my opinion.
One question though:
Why did Wright and Maya show von Karma the murder instructions letter? They already knew von Karma wrote the letter, so obviously he would try to take it from them.

Qurupeke

Never played the WiiWare versions but considering the other AA ports I say its about the same minus the touchscreen parts. On regards to the gameplay, it fully utilizes the touchscreen in most the cases like the "Rise of the Ashes" case which is a nice touch.

It's length is typical with 4 cases.
I see, as expected. I'll have it next week and I'll probably finish it in 2-3 days. xD
So I assume Layton vs Ace Attorney will be digital only? Or do you think it will get a physical release if Nintendo releases it?

In Europe Layton is really popular. I could see a physical release there, so I believe there will be a retail version for US too.

CorvoSol

In Celebration of the fact that AA5 is coming out soon, I've restarted the series for like, the zillionth time. Whilst reading up on AAI2, I saw over at the Court-Records that they're asking for volunteers to help localize it. So I guess if you've already spoiled yourself on that game and have a firm grasp on the English language and American pop culture, you should do everyone a favor and help localize the game, yo.

DaBoss

Finished AAI's fourth case yesterday, easily my favorite one so far.
The way they played up Edgeworth being the murderer at the beginning was brilliant in my opinion.
One question though:
Why did Wright and Maya show von Karma the murder instructions letter? They already knew von Karma wrote the letter, so obviously he would try to take it from them.

You should put AA1 and not AAI. People will think you mean Ace Attorney Investigations.

As for your question, I'm not sure. I don't remember when that happens and my memory is hazy of the story.

In Celebration of the fact that AA5 is coming out soon, I've restarted the series for like, the zillionth time. Whilst reading up on AAI2, I saw over at the Court-Records that they're asking for volunteers to help localize it. So I guess if you've already spoiled yourself on that game and have a firm grasp on the English language and American pop culture, you should do everyone a favor and help localize the game, yo.

I approve this message.

I would love to help, but I don't want to spoil myself...

I hope the fan translation gets the support it needs.

Zornica

Banned
finally got my hands on AA2 (the only one I haven't played yet because it's pretty expensiv...).

doesn't seem to bad so far. just made it to case number 3. this is the "bad" one right?
is the 4th one worth pushing through the 3rd?

also:
Up until now I've played the european versions of the AA games and something about this one (its the japanese Version with the american localisation). strikes me as odd...

why is the american localisation so keen on removing EVERYTHING related to japan and replacing it with something "american". the european version certainly didn't do that. It's really off-putting... kinda.

Sorian

Banned
finally got my hands on AA2 (the only one I haven't played yet because it's pretty expensiv...).

doesn't seem to bad so far. just made it to case number 3. this is the "bad" one right?
is the 4th one worth pushing through the 3rd?

also:
Up until now I've played the european versions of the AA games and something about this one (its the japanese Version with the american localisation). strikes me as odd...

why is the american localisation so keen on removing EVERYTHING related to japan and replacing it with something "american". the european version certainly didn't do that. It's really off-putting... kinda.

The 3rd gets better as time goes on, it's really just the first day of investigation (and some of first trial day) that are terrible. But yes, it is worth pushing through. The 4th case is my second favorite case in the entire series and I think about 90% of people would rank it as either their first or second as well.

As for the second part, I don't really know. I only ever played the NA versions so I don't really have anything to compare it to but even not knowing how the localization worked originally, I could tell that they were going heavy american when the source material obviously was not american.

Qurupeke

So, just finished the second case of Apollo Justice.Until nowI really like it, but I deteste the douchebag Wright. I am not sure what all these things mean but it saddens me that Wright turned like that. On the other hand, even if I prefer old Wright, Apollo is pretty good.

So, just finished the second case of Apollo Justice.Until nowI really like it, but I deteste the douchebag Wright. I am not sure what all these things mean but it saddens me that Wright turned like that. On the other hand, even if I prefer old Wright, Apollo is pretty good.

Apollo Justice is a decent entry in the AA franchise, but my only real issue is that
Apollo Justice isn't really about Apollo Justice. Phoenix Wright is running the show behind the scenes.
It's kinda disappointing in that regard.

Qurupeke

Apollo Justice is a decent entry in the AA franchise, but my only real issue is that
Apollo Justice isn't really about Apollo Justice. Phoenix Wright is running the show behind the scenes.
It's kinda disappointing in that regard.

In the first case it was like Apollo was just a pawn. :/ I don't know but I actually consider him a better lawyer than Wright.

Top Bottom