• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

AAI1 is good most people get hung up on the fact the final boss in the final case takes a bit TOO long to go down, other then that its classic AA though and through
AAI is a good game, but it does have a few problems. (Mainly pacing.) It's definitely worth playing though, for any AA fan.

That said, AAI2 is waaaaaaaaaaaay better. It's so good.

PK Gaming

AAI is a good game, but it does have a few problems. (Mainly pacing.) It's definitely worth playing though, for any AA fan.

That said, AAI2 is waaaaaaaaaaaay better. It's so good.
I concur

Keep in mind, I only finished the first 3 cases of AAI2 but...

AAI2 is godlike

daydream

Banned
Btw I've been listening to that new piano album on YT and I can't help but feel disappointed.

Some of the arrangements are very simplified, a lot of them performed lifelessly, with no energy or creativity. Take Furio Tigre's theme for example - I don't think you could play that more conservatively. Same with Steel Samurai's theme. And wtf is up with Blue Badger's theme. I could have recorded that when I was 12. Zero variation, playfulness, etc.

I guess I like some of the courtroom medleys, maybe some others (Circus theme), but the fact that this is their weakest arrangement effort remains in my eyes (the first weak one, period, actually).

dumbyugi

Btw I've been listening to that new piano album on YT and I can't help but feel disappointed.

Some of the arrangements are very simplified, a lot of them performed lifelessly, with no energy or creativity. Take Furio Tigre's theme for example - I don't think you could play that more conservatively. Same with Steel Samurai's theme. And wtf is up with Blue Badger's theme. I could have recorded that when I was 12. Zero variation, playfulness, etc.

I guess I like some of the courtroom medleys, maybe some others (Circus theme), but the fact that this is their weakest arrangement effort remains in my eyes (the first weak one, period, actually).

The first 11 songs on the album are just the songs played on piano. I'm pretty sure the album even came with sheet music for them. The last 8 songs are all actual arranges, so they sound a lot better. That's also why there's two Ace Attorney 1 medley's. I do agree that it's the weakest album so far though.

daydream

Banned
The first 11 songs on the album are just the songs played on piano. I'm pretty sure the album even came with sheet music for them. The last 8 songs are all actual arranges, so they sound a lot better. That's also why there's two Ace Attorney 1 medley's. I do agree that it's the weakest album so far though.

Ah, I see. That makes sense, thanks for clarifying!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Thought you guys might get a kick out of this cosplay. XD

s0kk5UE.jpg

Man, I just finished Dual Destinies. Great game, definitely better than Apollo Justice. I wouldn't say it was as good as the original trilogy but they're getting there. There was actually a villain and character arc that ran through the whole thing that made it compelling, which is something AJ:AA sorely lacked - cases 2 and 3 had little bearing on the overarching plot, whereas every case in Dual Destinies contributed somehow. In fact I'd say that's an improvement over the first three, as each game seemed to have a designated filler case.

I actually got it when it first came out, but real life got in the way of me playing it that much. But now I want to replay the previous games and check out GK2's fan translation.

Man, I just finished Dual Destinies. Great game, definitely better than Apollo Justice. I wouldn't say it was as good as the original trilogy but they're getting there. There was actually a villain and character arc that ran through the whole thing that made it compelling, which is something AJ:AA sorely lacked - cases 2 and 3 had little bearing on the overarching plot, whereas every case in Dual Destinies contributed somehow. In fact I'd say that's an improvement over the first three, as each game seemed to have a designated filler case.

I actually got it when it first came out, but real life got in the way of me playing it that much. But now I want to replay the previous games and check out GK2's fan translation.

Play the DLC case if you haven't yet, it's so damn good

That's one of the reasons why I love DD, too. Each case is a smaller part of a whole, much like AA1 and 2 led up to 3.

rekameohs

Banned

You'll like GK2 in this regard as well. And yes, absolutely play the DLC case; right up there with the best in the series.

Tenrius

Played through the first AA5 episode and found it rather underwhelming. A two-day tutorial trial? Seriously, it was a bit too long and way too obvious for me to enjoy. And the bomber guy was silly. Looking forward to the rest of the game though, I already got the DLC and everything.

Played through the first AA5 episode and found it rather underwhelming. A two-day tutorial trial? Seriously, it was a bit too long and way too obvious for me to enjoy. And the bomber guy was silly. Looking forward to the rest of the game though, I already got the DLC and everything.

It definitely gets better after the first case, IMO :). I really love Turnabout Academy a lot!!

Tenrius

It definitely gets better after the first case, IMO :). I really love Turnabout Academy a lot!!

Well, I sure hope so. Hard to believe that I'm playing my sixth Ace Attorney game.

Oh, and while we're at it, what's the consensus on PLvAA? One of the few perks of having a PAL 3DS is getting to play it early lol.

Remember to play the DLC case before case 4.

After case 2 would be ideal, just do it before case 4.

Jeez, I would've thought there'd be more action in this thread after the AAI2 translation beta was released.

So far, the game hasn't excited me as much as I expected it to. Maybe it's just the beta nature of the patch, but it hasn't really clicked for me yet. I'm halfway through the third case now. The first case felt a little slow, and the second case seemed slow to begin with but got better. Logic Chess seems like kind of pointless. The cross-examination theme is kind of underwhelming. Maybe I just prefer the pacing of regular AA game. I'm enjoying all the cameos, though. I'm looking forward to where the plot is leading. This new prosecutor is annoying as hell and I love it.

flowsnake

Case 4 is when shit gets real, pretty much. Which isn't that different from all the other games, although I found Case 3 particularly hard to care about.

Someone wrangled me and mentioned that the OP needs a bit of updating. I'll be sure to work on that tomorrow after I get off-duty. But I also had a topic I wanted to bring up for discussion to try and bring some life back in this here ranch.

zA2LLyr.gif

Ya dig, hombres?

EDIT: By the way...

CAYliyg.gif

What were those updates again?

Well, I'm in the third case of the third game. Playing it slowly now, because I have other games to play and other things to do, but still love it. :)

yDeOu8s.gif

...Oh yeah, that topic I wanted to discuss! I have some time before I head to work, which is why I'm typing it now. BEWARE, THERE WILL BE APOLLO JUSTICE SPOILERS. I'll try to spoiler tag some of the important stuff, but just beware.

So as many of you know, the main villain's motives in AJ were...underwhelming, to a degree. Sure, he made for a good finale, but in general I don't believe he was a good choice. What I was wondering is: do you think the writers dropped the ball with choosing
Kristoph as the villain, instead of Valant?

I think it would've made more sense for him to be the villain instead of who we got.
Kristoph's motives were essentially "Zak didn't pick me for this famous case, time to ruin everyone in his life and/or kill them." Not to mention that his Black Psycho-Locks didn't reveal much. Meanwhile, Valant has all the motives in the world to make a better final villain. Zak had the rights to all of Magnifi's magic, not Valant. He even admitted to framing Zak because of it. Then, when it seemed like he would finally get the rights to Magnifi's magic, Zak's card shows up and reveals that Trucy gets everything. It would've made for a much better story had Valant been the one in the forefront instead of Kristoph. I would've even been satisfied with Kristoph revealing that he had been working with Valant the entire time. But instead, we got a throwaway admission of guilt by Valant, and an underwhelming (but still memorable!) villainous breakdown.

What are your thoughts, everyone?

*Apollo Justice spoilers*

I don't think I've ever stopped to consider the idea of Valant as the big bad, maybe it's because I always enjoyed Kristoph even with the rather weak motive for his crimes.
I think with Kristoph there's an interesting dynamic at play making him the main villain with his links to Apollo, Klavier and Wright but things aren't really developed enough to fully leverage this in just one game.
Perhaps with Valant they maybe wanted to present a convincing red herring but they made no efforts to hide Kristoph's role in the final case through its intro alone so in a sense that throws that idea out the window, really Apollo Justice flubbed a number of points surrounding its conclusion, would Valant have made the better choice? I think it's possible, the more convincing motive alone would go down better.

replaying AAI after AAI2. now im kinda disappointed that they really skimped out on the investigation part in 2 vs 1. There were way more interesting a multipart maps in the first vs second. The rebuttal/argument bits are way better in 2. I hope 3 has the best of both worlds.

Muzy72

Banned
I just came to the horrible realization that a potential AAI3 will never be localized, and thanks to Nintendo's bullshit we won't ever get a fan translation either...

GSR

On a completely different note, everyone calling DGS "The Great Ace Attorney" reminds me of when everyone was calling AAI "Perfect Prosecutor".

daydream

Banned
I just came to the horrible realization that a potential AAI3 will never be localized, and thanks to Nintendo's bullshit we won't ever get a fan translation either...

Hm, why not?

I thought AAI2 not being localised was only due to time constraints. Unless you think that they'd give up on AAI over here because they skipped 2 - which is possible, but I think an AAI collection is just as likely. And with the eShop being a thing now, they'd certainly bring it over (if it ever materialised).

I'm more worried about The Great Ace Attorney (though not dramatically so).

Top Bottom