• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

GSR

A little less than three weeks to PLvsPW's European release. Anyone interested in working on the graphical side of an OT?

GSR

Ah, missed that! I'm actually fine with that, I was basically planning to do the OT if nobody else stepped up.

AAI2 Fan Translation Update:

Auryn from court records released the new patch for cases 1-3.

http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30325

Nice to have another case to play, although now the wait for the final two cases is setting back in.

I enjoyed the third case, but maybe not as much as the first two of the game.
I figured out everything really early on, and there was really only one mildly surprising development in the final part of the case. Everything about Kate's motivations and who the real killer was from 18 years ago and how the statute of limitations played into things was pretty obvious.

That said, I really did enjoy getting to play as Edgeworth's dad and the way the past and present cases tied into one another.

Young Magus

So I replayed case 1-1 in Japanese and I have a question to those that can read Japanese:

Larry calls Phoenix by the name 成歩堂ぉ (Naruhodo), the thing that bugs me is the small o after the Kanji. Whats the point of this and does this have a hand in Larry referring to him as Nick in English?

Also, Winston Paynes 異議あり!voice clip is funny as hell.

GSR

Larry calls Phoenix by the name 成歩堂ぉ (Naruhodo), the thing that bugs me is the small o after the Kanji. Whats the point of this and does this have a hand in Larry referring to him as Nick in English?

It's been a while since I've played 1-1 in Japanese, but if it's written the way you have it there I think it's just meant to indicate he's dragging out the word a bit. Like "Naruhodooo-". It is more familiar than just "Naruhodou", so that might be where "Nick" comes from.

PKrockin

「成歩堂ぉ~」

「成歩堂く~ん♡」

i'm dying laughing

Young Magus

It's been a while since I've played 1-1 in Japanese, but if it's written the way you have it there I think it's just meant to indicate he's dragging out the word a bit. Like "Naruhodooo-". It is more familiar than just "Naruhodou", so that might be where "Nick" comes from.

I see, thanks! I just think its weird that Nick is a nickname for Phoenix, but I can see why they chose it at the sametime.

「成歩堂ぉ~」

「成歩堂く~ん♡」

i'm dying laughing

If you think thats funny look up what "Im Fine" came from and laugh at what Phoenix calls him in the beginning of 4-1.

FluxWaveZ

According to ONM, Shu Takumi wanted to end the Ace Attorney series after Trials and Tribulations.

I can understand that, with the the thought that Phoenix Wright's story was satisfyingly concluded at that point and that continuing it further could diminish its quality (hence Apollo Justice), but that would have been a tragedy. AA is one of the series that continuous, regular sequels sound very appealing to me because of the format.

It's a bummer that Apollo Justice turned out to be more of a Phoenix Wright show than the new guy's, but I also don't see the point in nixing a character (or ending the series entirely) because "his story has been told."

AA5 handled it really well, with giving equal focus to the different attorneys and putting Phoenix in more of a mentor role than anything. I wouldn't even mind it much if, in AA6, Phoenix Wright wasn't playable at all, or maybe for just a single case. He just needs to be there.

According to ONM, Shu Takumi wanted to end the Ace Attorney series after Trials and Tribulations.

I can understand that, with the the thought that Phoenix Wright's story was satisfyingly concluded at that point and that continuing it further could diminish its quality (hence Apollo Justice), but that would have been a tragedy. AA is one of the series that continuous, regular sequels sound very appealing to me because of the format.

It's a bummer that Apollo Justice turned out to be more of a Phoenix Wright show than the new guy's, but I also don't see the point in nixing a character (or ending the series entirely) because "his story has been told."

AA5 handled it really well, with giving equal focus to the different attorneys and putting Phoenix in more of a mentor role than anything. I wouldn't even mind it much if, in AA6, Phoenix Wright wasn't playable at all, or maybe for just a single case. He just needs to be there.
Yeah, this has been known for a long time. Takumi did not want the series to continue, and when AA4 was ordered he tried to make it about a completely new set of characters, but was forced to include Phoenix. That's why AA4 is the way it is.

This is why I'm not such a Takumi superfan as some others. It seems like he has no interest in the series anymore.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, this has been known for a long time. Takumi did not want the series to continue, and when AA4 was ordered he tried to make it about a completely new set of characters, but was forced to include Phoenix. That's why AA4 is the way it is.

This is why I'm not such a Takumi superfan as some others. It seems like he has no interest in the series anymore.

I had heard about the AA4 and Phoenix thing before, but I had no idea that he wanted to outright end the series at AA3.

I wasn't aware of him until I finished AA1 - AA3, so I'm also not quite a fan of his as some others are. Hell, I'm pretty skeptical about his latest, mystery Ace Attorney series. I also have to wonder why he decided to go with PLvsAA instead of sticking with the main series. It seems like he's abandoned the main entries in favor of these spin-offs.

Lusankya

I think he still has interest in the series, just not in progressing Phoenix' story any further. Why else would he agree to make PLvAA or the new AA project he is currently working on?

I wonder how AA4 would have ended up if Phoenix was not involved.....

I don't know if myself would have liked it better, but surely instead of the "Phoenix is ruined! He is a "Hobo" now!" cries we would have heard people demanding Phoenix back in AA. Maya is the living proof of that. :p
Although considering how many AA fans now really like Apollo (or Athena) after AA5, it probably could have worked if they didn't include any familiar characters (maybe besides the Judge, Ema and Payne).

I think he still has interest in the series, just not in progressing Phoenix' story any further. Why else would he agree to make PLvAA or the new AA project he is currently working on?
This is what worries me.

What is his "new direction" for the series? I'm not sure I want to know.

Drago

I wish Takumi was working on something entirely new, like he did with Ghost Trick. More one offs from him or perhaps a new series would be amazing. The current AA team is doing a great job with the series as is.

Even so, I am still excited to see what exactly Takumi is up to with his new game. It will probably be great in any case and it should be interesting as to what the new direction he's taking is, so I can't really complain. :)

FluxWaveZ

I wish Takumi was working on something entirely new, like he did with Ghost Trick. More one offs from him or perhaps a new series would be amazing. The current AA team is doing a great job with the series as is.

I guess it would have been good if he was working on an entirely new IP, but who knows just how different his new project will be to actual Ace Attorney. Assuming that the main team is working on AA6 (which they had pretty much confirmed last year), it's probably safe to say that his game won't be close at all to the structure of a normal Ace Attorney game given the statements and the fact that it would kind of be reiterative for what would essentially be the same thing to be created at the same time.

Point is, maybe the fact that it's not a new IP won't really matter in the context of the game's creative design, depending on how wild it is.

I wonder how AA4 would have ended up if Phoenix was not involved.....

Are we replacing Phoenix role in the story with new character who was disbarred or what? Replacing Phoenix with a new character wouldn't have fixed the many problems AA4 had. Hobo Phoenix was like the only redeeming thing about the game

Omikaru

This is what worries me.

I'm not particularly worried. If it's bad, it's bad. The folks who made AA5 are presumably making the follow up to that, and as far as I'm concerned they've proven themselves. The mainline series is in good hands.

Personally, I'm pretty stoked we'll be getting a mainline Phoenix game and also something that exists separately from it, hopefully with a whole new cast of characters and is quite unorthodox and experimental.

I'm not particularly worried. If it's bad, it's bad. The folks who made AA5 are presumably making the follow up to that, and as far as I'm concerned they've proven themselves. The mainline series is in good hands.

Personally, I'm pretty stoked we'll be getting a mainline Phoenix game and also something that exists separately from it, hopefully with a whole new cast of characters and is quite unorthodox and experimental.
There's certainly a better chance this spinoff will be less half assed than AJ since the other team will continue to churn out Phoenix games.

Lusankya

This is what worries me.

You shouldn't be worried, because there are two AA games in development. Yamazaki's crew are working on AA6 (maybe AAI3, but most likely AA6) and Takumi is working on his project.

Drago

Looks just like the iOS port to me. But seeing as to how that's the only version I've played so far, I can't say it doesn't look fine. A little choppy on the animations, but eh, I could live with it.

I wonder if the 3DS port will make it to NA....
Capcom would have to be beyond stupid to not bring it over at least digitally. The JP release includes all the english text already, even!

I'd pick it up if it comes out here, if only to support the series and because I've been yearning to replay the games. At least it's looking like a better port job so far than what was on iOS.

They almost got me to buy the Wright Selection by throwing all those neat trinkets in with it D:

All in all, even if they fixed the animations, I can't help but feel like getting it would be frivolous spending, as it's pretty much the exact same thing I already own. It could certainly be neat for those getting into the series, but I don't really know what my purpose would be in purchasing it
as much as i'd like that godot keychain

edit: watching the footage and seeing the differences between the jp and en versions is kinda making me want a jp copy of the game though, urgggg

spiritfox

I don't know if you're being facetious, but I think this is a pretty serious requirement for getting me to buy the game, if it ever came here. It would be an excruciating omission; I could not ignore it in scenes where she's involved.

I was serious. I don't know how they can just not include a song with what's supposed to be the definitive edition of a game. I would have double-dipped on the iOS version if not for all the issues it has.

You shouldn't be worried, because there are two AA games in development. Yamazaki's crew are working on AA6 (maybe AAI3, but most likely AA6) and Takumi is working on his project.
I just don't want him trying to give the canon a massive shake-up, just because it doesn't jive with his design mentality anymore.

I hope it's awesome, but I really don't like what he did in AA4 to Phoenix, which seemed intentionally decisive. Character's should have their entire personality turned on its head just to prove a point.

GSR

From Famitsu (Japanese link, and you'll need to copy and paste it to avoid 403 errors): producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi, who's worked with Shu Takumi before on Dino Crisis 2, is involved in Takumi's new AA project.

Kobayashi has also been producer on various Resident Evil and Sengoku Basara games, Killer7, and Dragon's Dogma. This is his first work with AA.

789shadow

Banned
From Famitsu (Japanese link, and you'll need to copy and paste it to avoid 403 errors): producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi, who's worked with Shu Takumi before on Dino Crisis 2, is involved in Takumi's new AA project.

Kobayashi has also been producer on various Resident Evil and Sengoku Basara games, Killer7, and Dragon's Dogma. This is his first work with AA.
Third Person Shooter starring Detective Badd.

Frolow

Banned

Was Dragon's Dogma any good?

comic345_zps050c7985.png

lol its titled "Dark Age of the Law"

Top Bottom