• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

FluxWaveZ

I think we'll be getting AA6 localization info pretty much in line with the Japanese unveiling, too, so that's something that's not DGS.

D-Man

Just got an email from Amazon confirming that my copy of the Dual Destinies art book has been shipped and will arrive on Friday.

Just in time for the AA6 hype!

FluxWaveZ

Just got an email from Amazon confirming that my copy of the Dual Destinies art book has been shipped and will arrive on Friday.

Just in time for the AA6 hype!

What the shit. I pre-ordered it in January and Amazon.ca has the release date for October 1, 2015. Dammit, I've been waiting for this thing for forever.

Since no one else here has mentioned it yet, I figured I'd post this:

That last bit just blows my mind. I'm really excited for this and hope that we get a dub!

EDIT: Also found another article with a bit more info -

Which is especially interesting since they have a picture of
Maya
! It is just one source, though, so I guess we'll have to wait on more information.

FluxWaveZ

That last bit just blows my mind. I'm really excited for this and hope that we get a dub!

Ha, a nod or a nice coincidence? Either way, that's pretty good.

I hope they do the games justice with this adaptation. Fans have been wanting an anime for so long now.

EDIT: Also found another article with a bit more info -
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...s_of_monster_hunter_stories_andnace_attorneyn
Which is especially interesting since they have a picture of
Maya
! It is just one source, though, so I guess we'll have to wait on more information.

Nope, that's absolutely wrong. It's the same anime adaptation of AA1-3, and they somehow interpreted it as being an adaptation of AA6. It's the same key art.

FluxWaveZ

i can't believe they're doing it now so i'm choosing to interpret it as sign that the series is doing well and is of relevance to capcom

Ace Attorney has been a very successful series in Japan for a long time now. It's in the West that the situation is significantly different.

I just hope the anime is good. There's a long history of video game adaptations being pretty bad. Hopefully Ace Attorney can beat the curse.

I'll be waiting for staff information before I really get excited.

Hinchy

I just hope the anime is good. There's a long history of video game adaptations being pretty bad. Hopefully Ace Attorney can beat the curse.

Capcom's anime adaptations have a history of being pretty low-budget, too. I really hope they do it justice though.

IMO AA best the curse of bad video game to live action adaptations so here's hoping

Golnei

Capcom's anime adaptations have a history of being pretty low-budget, too. I really hope they do it justice though.

I can only hope that the reason behind them doing an anime only after a live-action movie and stage musical despite it being the more obvious medium to adapt the games to is that they're looking to do a little more than a low-budget cash-in. Considering the franchise has more than proven its appeal in Japan; surely they'd see giving it a decent budget as a safe investment?

w3bba

I just want Hideki Kamiya back as Godot :p

but on another note: as said the Live Action movie is a very, very good adaptation, so there is at least some hope

D-Man

I got mine last Friday and it's fantastic. I love the developer commentary and interviews they put in it. Very interesting stuff.

Hey AA-Gaf, I'm stuck and need a hint again! :/

Ace Attorney 2, Chapter 2, Part 2-2. I just got the prosecuter to submit Lotta Heart's second crime scene photo as evidence. This second photo shows Maya from the front rather than just the back.

I need to point out where in the photo prooves that it isn't Maya, but I can't for the life of me figure out where--everything seems consistent. I don't want the answer, but I do need some kind of (fairly large) hint.

Thanks!

Well, you answered it yourself; "everything seems consistent". You can't prove it yet.

"Pheonix! You can't give up! Please, for me? Take a look at the Court Record again and try to find some way out of this jam! The judge is about to close the trial. You can't let that happen."

"I'll... give it another shot..."

And I'm back where I started, except now with less health (because the judge gets pissed off).

Lusankya

Oh, whoops I messed up. You're at the second photo.
It's related to something you already pointed out earlier.
Hint:
There's something wrong with her costume.

Oh, whoops I messed up. You're at the second photo.
It's related to something you already pointed out earlier.
Hint:
There's something wrong with her costume.

Thank you so much, I got it! The frustrating thing is that I could have sworn I'd tried that already and it hadn't worked.

I just finished Dual Destinies, I really liked it. Only thing I was a little bummed was in the final act
when Fullbright gets shot. There's literally no reaction to it. Like it's normal that a sniper just shot someone during a trial. The judge isn't impressed, no one is. I was expecting a little reaction from everybody

FluxWaveZ

Finally got the art book after I've been waiting for it for an eternity. It's beautiful; I absolutely love the art and the developer insight.

Takuro Fuse (Art Director) on a funny point about Jinxie:
Finally, the charms on her forehead are a deliberate red herring, meant to make the player think "She's gonna transform!"
Either he was overestimating at least me, or it's just something Westerners wouldn't necessarily pick up on.

And something he said about Athena's design which I think could be contentious:
Wearing a suit is important for creating the image of a lawyer, but that also makes for a visually weak heroine, so we intentionally scrapped the idea of Athena wearing a traditional suit and gave her a silhouette more suited to manga.
I don't necessarily agree with that, though a traditional suit would have clashed with Athena's personality.

There's so much to read in here, a ton of concept art and a whole lot about the design process. Totally worth getting.

Golnei

And something he said about Athena's design which I think could be contentious:

I don't necessarily agree with that, though a traditional suit would have clashed with Athena's personality.

I guess I can see where he's coming from in terms of silhouette - like how they avoided giving Apollo a jacket, Athena's current outfit is much more distinguishable at a glance compared to a regular suit.

Though it probably has more to do with high-school students being much more marketable than secretaries.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've moved on from AA Trilogy to a game I've never beaten before...Professor Layton Versus Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney!

It's pretty good as a fan of both series, but I kinda wish it was just a AA game instead. This is basically the perfect setting for an AA game.

Golnei

It's pretty good as a fan of both series, but I kinda wish it was just a AA game instead. This is basically the perfect setting for an AA game.

It's a good thing DGS was able to expand on some of its concepts and general aesthetic, without the contortions required to fit everything into a Layton plot structure. It'll never be officially released in English, but at least they were able to realise some of that potential in an AA game.

Lusankya

It's a good thing DGS was able to expand on some of its concepts and general aesthetic, without the contortions required to fit everything into a Layton plot structure. It'll never be officially released in English, but at least they were able to realise some of that potential in an AA game.
Yeah, it's also too bad that it's a lot harder to play a fan translation on your 3DS or on an emulator compared to the DS. But I hope somebody does a quality Youtube translation like the one dowolf did for AAI2.

Finally got the art book after I've been waiting for it for an eternity. It's beautiful; I absolutely love the art and the developer insight.
Finally Amazon.de shipped my copy as well, I am really looking forward to this. The artbook of the classic trilogy featured nice images but not a lot of commentary.

FluxWaveZ

yk2iqPc.jpg
I don't think Phoenix had a 'double objection' moment with Maya in the original games. Maybe in AA6.

Axbarn

Banned
Yeah, it's also too bad that it's a lot harder to play a fan translation on your 3DS or on an emulator compared to the DS. But I hope somebody does a quality Youtube translation like the one dowolf did for AAI2.

Remember, the AAI2 fan-translation took them 2-3 years though and there is already a 3DS emulator albeit not a very far-developed or functional one, but in 2-3 years... maybe it can run certain games at playable speeds?

So I just finished the second case of AA5. I haven't played the first four in a long time, but didn't it used to be three days of investigation and trial per case instead of two, or am I misremembering?

Grexeno

So I just finished the second case of AA5. I haven't played the first four in a long time, but didn't it used to be three days of investigation and trial per case instead of two, or am I misremembering?
Only in AA1. They correctly assessed that that was too long, and now the longest cases get is 2 days of investigation and 2 days of trial.

Axbarn

Banned

The first game was the only one, but without spoiling anything I'd say there's a point later in AA5's plot where there's such a big missed opportunity for a 3-day trial.

Only in AA1. They correctly assessed that that was too long, and now the longest cases get is 2 days of investigation and 2 days of trial.

I preferred 3 day trials. The only time it was overwhelming was in Rise from the Ashes, but that was just a long case in general.

Axbarn

Banned
I preferred 3 day trials. The only time it was overwhelming was in Rise from the Ashes, but that was just a long case in general.

I believe it was actually released as a standalone game in Japan as well plus it was made two years after T&T was released, and DS exclusive, so that's why it's such a pace-breaker to the overall structure of the first game in the west.

GSR

We don't have enough info to know what they're doing with Athena at this point. I could see her stepping into the protag role for part of a case or something.

I do wonder how the cast will shake out. Assuming the game takes place roughly simultaneously across Japan and Kurain, that suggests basically two casts. Athena assist/Ema detective in Japan, new cast in Kurain? (Unless Maya really does show up just to be assistant again.)

Dibs on the new Apollo art for my avatar, by the way.

FluxWaveZ

Hmmmm. I approve! Assuming baselessly that Apollo will be hanging out with Athena and Trucy. Maybe Ema and Klavier too.

Hopefully Klavier went back to his home planet. Probably the worst returning character for me in AA5, though he wasn't that bad in it. Maybe it's because he didn't get to do much.

If Phoenix is out of the office but part of the game still happens over there from Apollo's perspective, I hope we see a lot of bossing around by Trucy. She was always said to be the second-in-command, so seeing the others have to listen to what she says would be pretty good.

Top Bottom