• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yeah ok that case was pretty good. Not near my favorites or anything, but it had some decent surprises and twists. Now I only have Investigations left to play. I'll take a break again now, but I'll definitely play Investigations since it appears to fill the Gumshoe hole the newer games left. Not even a cameo in 2 mainline games

Edit: playtime of DD 36 hours.

Wait a minute, I thought that part was great! A nice unique concept on a AA case ending.
I don't like those kinds of endings to murder mysteries. It makes me feel cheated to learn that
there was never an actual murder.

Up until that point the case was really good though.

Sölf

I should probably go back and finish Investigations 2, I was like in the middle of case 3 anyways...

Do it. It's awesome.

Actually, what's the best intro (video) of all the cases? I don't know DGS of course, but that aside I probably have to pick AAI Case 5 (up to 1:10) for having the best intro in the whole series. It still gives me goosebumps seeing it now.

FluxWaveZ

98OHuA0.jpg
b72Haa0.jpg

D-Man

That shot of Phoenix and Maya being afraid of Nemesis is hilarious. C'mon, Nick, you should be used to Nemesis' ugly mug by now!

GSR

An interesting post by Court-Records member Ash on who was responsible for each AA game's writing:

Ash said:
I digged a bit through the various credits of the series and this is what I found:

AA1 ~ AA3, AA1DS
Scenario (+ Planning & Direction): TAKUMI Shu.

AA4
Scenario(+ Supervision): TAKUMI Shu

AAI
Scenario (+ Planning & Direction): YAMAZAKI Takeshi
Scenario: MAYUMI So (New Love Plus, Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights, Fire Emblem Awakening, etc), KITAOKA Yuichiro (Majin Tensei Blind Thinker I/II, Fire Emblem Awakening, etc).

AAI2
Scenario (+ Planning & Direction): YAMAZAKI Takeshi
Scenario: SHIMOKAWA Teruhiro (director/scenario Soul Sacrifice), NAKAMURA Yuki (Planner AAI), FUSE Hiroki (Planner Monster Hunter), HIROTSU Saeko.

PLVSAA (AA Part)
Scenario (+ Direction): TAKUMI Shu
Script: KITAJIMA Yukinori (428, Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, Senran Kagura, Fire Emblem: Fates) (According to his Twitter, he worked for half a year on the plot for the AA parts together with Takumi and wrote the first version of the last part of the game).

AA5
Scenario Director: YAMAZAKI Takeshi
Scenario Integration: KITAJIMA Yukinori
Scenario: NAKAMURA Yuki, FUSE Hiroki, FUKUDA Hiromichi (Planner Monster Hunter 3, 4)

DGS
Script (+ Direction): TAKUMI Shu

Ace Attorney Investigations was the first time extra scenario writers appeared in the credits. AA4 may have different planners, but game planning is a very broad process that goes into a lot of fields (also budgeting for example), and considering only Takumi is credited for the scenario, I think we should assume that he was the sole writer like with the previous three games (or at least not automatically assume that planners also contributed to the scenario/script unless explicitly stated).

And I don't know if you've read this interview with Takumi and a fellow game scenario writer, but Takumi is simply someone who wants to do everything himself and isn't good at delegating work. In the interview, Ishii says he's the opposite and actually enjoys working together with other people on scripts and I think it might be the same for Yamazaki, seeing as all his games use several writers, both in-house Capcom writers and from outside (the in-house writers often have planning experience though). Kitajima is probably the biggest external name, as he (and his agency Synthese) works on a lot of adventures/RPGs based on concepts by others (for example, Fire Emblem). I think the only game Synthese wrote from scratch is Senran Kagura.

It certainly makes sense that Takumi seems to handle everything on his own in his games - the ones he was in charge of always feel a bit more consistent than the others. He has a very distinctive voice.

Of course, this reinforces that the mess that was 4-3 and 4-4 is mostly at his feet, external factors or no. It is interesting that PLvsPW's finale was drafted by someone else, though, since the last trial was definitely the weakest AA part of that game.

Investigations finale still felt more tedious and slogtacular to actually get through for me so I think I'll still take the obligatory Layton nonsense over it.

Lusankya

While I was slightly disappointed with the PLvPW ending I still enjoyed the overall case, especially the testimonies of the guards.

FluxWaveZ

I liked PL vs AA's ending TBH. It was just as Layton-esque as I expected and it was wonderful.

There's nothing wonderful about a game's ending actively and blatantly contradicting several moments that happened previously in the story. They had to joke about it in the DLC story events because of how dumb that was.

FluxWaveZ

TBH I didn't notice any plotholes.

Ha, well someone can enjoy any game's story if they don't take the plot into account. This is especially bad in a game based around logic and pointing out contradictions.

Here's a single one:
how did Phoenix Wright, Maya, Professor Layton and Luke get sucked into a book?

I dunno, who cares? It's a Layton plot. You don't look at Layton plots critically. You don't think about them. You just enjoy them.

EDIT: Though I do remember being a bit "lolwut?" about the book thing. That was over a year ago tho, I don't have good memory :(

FluxWaveZ

I dunno, who cares? It's a Layton plot. You don't look at Layton plots critically. You don't think about them. You just enjoy them.

But it shouldn't have just been a Layton plot; it should have been an Ace Attorney one, too. AA is a series usually devoid of that nonsense yet, despite this supposed "cross-over," Layton overshadowed AA in every facet of the game, seemingly including its story.

I won't just dumb myself down and "just enjoy them" when it's a story revolving around supposedly intelligent "twists" and critical thinking. I'm not that easy to please, and I expect a story to not treat me like an idiot with poor attention span who won't remember everything that happened earlier on.

Edit: And the book is just one of the numerous plot holes and contradictions that the story created as it unfolded. Again, they had to joke about the things that they shoved under the rug in the DLC stories because of that.

I never liked Layton games because the plots were completely out there, and not in the good way. Just dumb for the sake of a twist. Stick to puzzles, Layton. It's literally all you're good at.

I never liked Layton games because the plots were completely out there, and not in the good way. Just dumb for the sake of a twist. Stick to puzzles, Layton. It's literally all you're good at.
I love Layton because of the absurd plots. The puzzles are kind of O.K. but it's not why I play the Layton games. Well, I guess more liked "played", R.I.P. Layton.

PL vs AA is still one of the worst AA endings, but the only ending to an AA game that I didn't like was DGS's.

jnWake

Got a physical copy of Apollo Justice yesterday. It's so pretty!

I'm tempted to buy AA1-3 phisically even if I already own them digitally... Only reason I'm not doing it is because AA5 ruins any possibility of a complete collection. Oh, well.

I love Layton because of the absurd plots. The puzzles are kind of O.K. but it's not why I play the Layton games. Well, I guess more liked "played", R.I.P. Layton.

PL vs AA is still one of the worst AA endings, but the only ending to an AA game that I didn't like was DGS's.

PLvAA's ending is a Layton ending, not an AA ending. It has Layton written all fucking over it. Takumi should've trashed that draft when he had the chance.

GSR

Honestly my objections to the end of PLvsPW are less about the overall plot (because I think we all knew something dumb was coming) and more about the pacing. That one six-statement testimony that's just pure exposition where you have to press every statement - oof!

Honestly my objections to the end of PLvsPW are less about the overall plot (because I think we all knew something dumb was coming) and more about the pacing. That one six-statement testimony that's just pure exposition where you have to press every statement - oof!

TBF AA has had a few of those press every statement to move on things as well or long stretches of exposition without any player involvement like the finale of AJ for instance. It does not excuse what PL vs PW did but it shouldn't black sheep it from the rest of the series.

Soriku

Fuuuuuuuuuuck the last case in Trials and Tribulations is amazing. I'm right near the end of that case, will finish it up today. Even better than the Matt Engarde case.

Soriku

Damn

"He couldn't be sure of where the blood had landed, so he removed the whole area!"

Godot getting worked.

w3bba

Fuuuuuuuuuuck the last case in Trials and Tribulations is amazing. I'm right near the end of that case, will finish it up today. Even better than the Matt Engarde case.

Best case ever, enjoy the finale :)

If you dont cry in the end, you have to quit the series forever :p

Soriku

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck *Ace Attorney breakdown*

-Phoenix and Mia posing.

-Godot's bloody tears...HE HAD A HARD LIFE.

7J68nLD.jpg

-IRIS WAS PHOENIX'S GIRLFRIEND ALL ALONG.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

-Phoenix sharing a cup of coffee with Godot.

-Ace Attorney 1 music.

All of this, plus
Dahlia being one crazy villain (her defeat was glorious)
and
Edgeworth vs Franziska epic showdown (Edgeworth is too good as a defense attorney)
...it doesn't get much better than this folks. This is the way to wrap an overarching plot in the greatest possible way. This is easily the best case in the series, and for me, I don't think it'll be topped. Based Shu Takumi.

280.gif

I'll be taking a break from the AA series momentarily to play 999 and Virtue's Last Reward. Then I'll be back for AA4.

Lusankya

...it doesn't get much better than this folks. This is the way to wrap an overarching plot in the greatest possible way. This is easily the best case in the series, and for me, I don't think it'll be topped. Based Shu Takumi.
Some cases come close, but 3-5 is really the pinnacle. You know you played a true masterpiece when after finishing it you feel empty and sad. I finished it back in 2007 and felt so bad, because to me it felt like I was saying goodbye to good friends.

I'll be taking a break from the AA series momentarily to play 999 and Virtue's Last Reward. Then I'll be back for AA4.

Good idea! While I could play new AA games all days long, it's good to have some variety, and 999 + VLR are stellar games on their own.

w3bba

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck *Ace Attorney breakdown*

-Phoenix and Mia posing.

-Godot's bloody tears...HE HAD A HARD LIFE.

7J68nLD.jpg

-IRIS WAS PHEONIX'S GIRLFRIEND ALL ALONG.

-Pheonix sharing a cup of coffee with Godot.

-Ace Attorney 1 music.

All of this, plus
Dahlia being one crazy villain (her defeat was glorious)
and
Edgeworth vs Franziska epic showdown (Edgeworth is too good as a defense attorney)

280.gif

if you want more shu takumi goodness, play ghost trick. game is on par with ace attorney greatness

Soriku

Good idea! While I could play new AA games all days long, it's good to have some variety, and 999 + VLR are stellar games on their own.

Got a little burned out at times with AA, so it took me longer than usual to get through the trilogy. A break is due. I'm pretty excited for Zero Escape, and I hope it's just as good as AA.

if you want more shu takumi goodness, play ghost trick. game is on par with ace attorney greatness

I'll try to check it out at some point.

Top Bottom