• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

Glad they're not trying to stuff too many returning characters into the Kingdom of Kurain, that was one of my worries going in. Something like Phoenix and maybe Maya (and evidently Gaspen) in Kurain with Apollo, Athena, Trucy and either Ema or Gumshoe in Japanifornia seems like a pretty reasonable balance of returning characters in a way that makes sense.

And while I'm sure "double protagonist" actually means "Apollo gets some cases but Phoenix is still the star," it's nice to see they haven't given up on Apollo yet, lol

http://www.capcom.co.jp/gyakutensaiban/6/

Website's updated with the new charecter art and stuff from this week's famitsu

img_con03_04.jpg

Oh god, stop before we get a Broom Lady 2.0 situation on our hands.

Search your feelings...you know it's true! It's the easiest, lamest, cheapest way to artificially add drama by saving brainwashed Maya.

Phoenix will remind her of who she really is...with hamburgers!

Bowl0l

Search your feelings...you know it's true! It's the easiest, lamest, cheapest way to artificially add drama by saving brainwashed Maya.

Phoenix will remind her of who she really is...with hamburgers!
How about time travel? Phoenix travelled to the past and meet Maya.

FluxWaveZ

I'm LTTP, but I was reading the PLvsPW Iwata Asks for the first time and it's interesting how it sounds like Takumi wanted nothing to do with that game until the end of its development.

He has an interesting perspective overall on the Ace Attorney series. If he had his way way back when, we probably wouldn't have had another Ace Attorney game after T&T. I guess I'm kinda glad he didn't.

GSR

Oh my goodness - did people think that the mafia lady in AA4 was Maya before release...?!

I can't recall how much of it was serious and how much of it was joking, but you gotta remember: the leadup to AA4 was a desperate time. Phoenix's new appearance opened the floodgates. If that could be Nick, anyone could be anyone!

Axbarn

Banned
My interest in AA6 has increased due to Apollo sharing the spotlight, what strange times.

Yeah, it's funny how this could flip after how much I disliked Apollo in his debut game, but I agree.

I think it has something to do with Nick being less interesting as time goes on though, which is exactly what Takumi talked about. There's not really many places that aren't contrived you can go with Phoenix's character arc from here IMO.

Hey Hey, all! First time posting!

I saw an Ace Attorney thread pop up about a week or two ago, and taking part in discussion in there I decided to pick up the trilogy on my 3DS. I might do an LTTP at some point, but I just wanted to drop in and say this shit is great. I'm only up to the third case in part 1 (Turnabout Samura) but I am really enjoying. My only drawback to this whole thing is time spent outside of court, which is a large portion of it. I just want to get in court so I can throw evidence in people's faces, but it takes forever just gathering evidence, examining, and chatting to get there.

I'll be curious to see how this series evolves as I go :)

I saw an Ace Attorney thread pop up about a week or two ago, and taking part in discussion in there I decided to pick up the trilogy on my 3DS. I might do an LTTP at some point, but I just wanted to drop in and say this shit is great. I'm only up to the third case in part 1 (Turnabout Samura) but I am really enjoying. My only drawback to this whole thing is time spent outside of court, which is a large portion of it. I just want to get in court so I can throw evidence in people's faces, but it takes forever just gathering evidence, examining, and chatting to get there.

Enjoy it!

spiritfox

The investigation parts of the games are where it's most adventure game-y, with both its good parts and its bad. I liked how Dual Destines made it less pixel hunting by highlighting all interactable objects, but it can get annoying in the older games especially if you missed just one little thing.

I assume Athena will show up later in the game, she felt like a break out character I have a hard time seeing her be completely cut from AA6

FluxWaveZ

I assume Athena will show up later in the game, she felt like a break out character I have a hard time seeing her be completely cut from AA6

Unless they're gearing up to another Athena-centric twist, I don't think they would keep her as a late reveal. Apollo needs an assistant and, unless they're straight up going for a "Phoenix Wright 4" and "Apollo Justice 2" situation with Maya as Nick's assist and Trucy as Apollo's, I think Athena would fit that role.

It's hard to think about precedent considering DGS also seems to take place in two locations, but the way I see it is that AA6 will go for the standard 5 case structure: 2 devoted to Phoenix and 2 devoted to Apollo. It's just weird thinking about how they'll be able to execute on that, and I'm mainly thinking of the prosecutors. I can't imagine Payne being the "main" Kurain prosecutor, even if he's portrayed as this king of the law in that area or whatever.

I wouldn't be surprised. I think the real question is whether we'll get a new detective for Phoenix's side of the story, or Gumshoe('s twin brother) in a fundoshi.
The true detective's uniform. Stuff Tyrell in one too while we're at it.

Ema/Gumshoe/Badd with Lang and Fran consulting would be my perfect law squad.

spiritfox

I wouldn't be surprised. I think the real question is whether we'll get a new detective for Phoenix's side of the story, or Gumshoe('s twin brother) in a fundoshi.

I half expect Lang given the international setting and the vaguely Chinese / Tibetan nature of Kurain. I wouldn't mind Gumshoe though, if only he's exactly the same as he was during the original trilogy.

Golnei

The true detective's uniform. Stuff Tyrell in one too while we're at it.

It'd ruin his aesthetic by being unable to incorporate the bullet hole motif. Something more creative would be a necessity - for purely artistic reasons, of course.

I half expect Lang given the international setting and the vaguely Chinese / Tibetan nature of Kurain.

Especially considering this is the same team as the one behind AAI. He might not actually show up, but his family will probably be referenced in some way.

It'd ruin his aesthetic by being unable to incorporate the bullet hole motif. Something more creative would be a necessity - for purely artistic reasons, of course.
There could still be some strategically placed ones, because as evident in his default outfit, bullets must magically phase through his body. Alternatively, just give him a few bullet scars on his manly frame to keep that hardboiled detective theme going strong.

Also, RE: Lang, he was originally gonna be shirtless all the time, so lets bring that design element back into play.

Golnei

There could still be some strategically placed ones, because as evident in his default outfit, bullets must magically phase through his body. Alternatively, just give him a few bullet scars on his manly frame to keep that hardboiled detective theme going strong.

I was alluding to a slightly more specific style with that...

Axbarn

Banned
The investigation parts of the games are where it's most adventure game-y, with both its good parts and its bad. I liked how Dual Destines made it less pixel hunting by highlighting all interactable objects, but it can get annoying in the older games especially if you missed just one little thing.

The problem with DD's investigations though, was it stripped away some issues of the past... AND THEN SOME.

What we got instead of labyrinthine be-at-the-right-place-right-time pixel-hunting from the DS games was 3D investigations that were only available when prompted and it became a "oh now I have to investigate *clicks everything* -- investigation complete" and the illusion of discovery was broken for me.

I felt like the older games, while frustrating at times, always had those "holy crap" moments during investigations where you'd been wandering around for a bit but then discover a vital clue just by examining here and there.

DD even had the note-function telling you exactly where to go and present things or talk to people... wasn't that enough to solve the issue the old games had?

GSR

I wouldn't expect any cameos from AAI series exclusive characters.

Yeah, I feel like if they were going that route they already had their chances in AA5, between Themis (which they confirmed was Yumihiko's alma mater) and the whole "dark age of the law" thing.

It's hard to think about precedent considering DGS also seems to take place in two locations, but the way I see it is that AA6 will go for the standard 5 case structure: 2 devoted to Phoenix and 2 devoted to Apollo. It's just weird thinking about how they'll be able to execute on that, and I'm mainly thinking of the prosecutors. I can't imagine Payne being the "main" Kurain prosecutor, even if he's portrayed as this king of the law in that area or whatever.

My guess is that they'll have a mostly new cast for Phoenix's parts and a mostly old cast for Apollo's. And no way is Payne actually getting full prosecutor status, it's pretty clear his "head prosecutor" position is fluff.

Someone (maybe it was here and I'm just forgetting?) also suggested the idea of Trucy going with Phoenix to Kurain and Athena sticking with Apollo, which I'd be all for. In any event though I would be surprised if Athena isn't Apollo's co-council, since that breaks up the gameplay mechanics:

Phoenix:
Investigation -> Psyche-Locks
Court -> Water Mirror

Apollo:
Investigation -> Perceive
Court -> Mood Matrix

That also (sort of) supports the idea of an old cast for Apollo's parts, since Blackquill's got the whole "no perceive in court" thing going.

Or they could surprise us and come up with a new cast for both halves!

Also, on the topic of DGS doing two locations: that doesn't really apply like it does here, since DGS only used Japan for its intro case. As such there was no "main prosecutor" for Japan. (There was a detective, but they bow out to Gregson once things get to London.)

Axbarn

Banned
I'm thinking, while there's probably more old-timers in Apollo's sections, given that we're back home, I think it might actually end up with an equally split new-vs-old characters balance, where perhaps Apollo might get to face Klavier again, have Trucy around and face new people while Nick will mostly face new guys... until he meets Pearl and Maya and probably one or two more returning characters, that seem like they make sense to have in Kurain (Franziska on interpol business?)

I just hope having a separate focus on Apollo means Ema is back.

I didn't consider the possibility that Ema would return. Since this new AA game is set in a land full of supernatural elements and heavy spirituality, I like the idea of Ema returning to inject SCIENCE into the investigations.

Damn, now you've got me hyped for something that may not be in!!

Nohar

Hi. I discovered recently a fancase made by LordIban: Operation Turnabout. It is presented in the format of voice-acted animation. There are currently 5 videos released on YouTube (each one being roughly 1 hour long), with the 6th (and probably last) one being in the works. You can find the videos on his YouTube channel, or by clicking on the following links:
The story takes place some time after AAI3, so the events of Apollo Justice and Dual Destinies didn't happen yet.
You don't need to watch the previous videos of the author to enjoy this series (there is a quick mention of one of his previous work, but that's it).
On a side note, Phoenix's voice is TheGoldCrow, the same guy who voiced him in Turnabout Storm (another fancase released in the same format by another author, which is more known and is quite enjoyable as well, though you kinda need to be familiar with MLP:Friendship is Magic to fully enjoy it).

I think his work deserves much more love, and I hope you will enjoy it. I find his work to be very good, so much that it wouldn't feel out of place at all in the actual video games. It begins rather slowly, but this case is rich with continuity and shout-outs, great and faithful characterisation (well, aside from maybe Franziska who I find to be a little over the top, like how she was at the beginning of Justice for All; that being said, the author remains quite faithful to the original), witty humor and overall a great story (once the pieces of the puzzle come together). Also, well, it has been a while since we saw Nick and Maya work together to solve a case, isn't it? Be prepared to be hit with nostalgia.

INVESTIGATIONS I IS ONE OF THE BEST GAMES

Impressions

1. Turnabout Visitor
Edgeworth hype baby! Move over Wright! So all the new prosecutors are always geniuses P Really liking the graphics for this one. Gumshoe will be basically my Maya, right? :D Logic, of course only Edgeworth is capable of this! References to Oldbag and that prosecutor trophy, sweet! You can examine stuff just like Ema, nice. Gant had a safe too if I remember right. Of course Gumshoe would be the first witness xD Sooo I guess in this game I won’t go the court? No nOndosdnnsdosdnidsoosdnosdnodsondonsdnosdon MAGGEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second part
I suppose Trés Bien shut down or something, and Gumshoe x Maggey still disgusts me. Omg is that Payne over there?! :D Even Edgeworth forgets about him hahaha. Really loved that breakdown. Wish we could get more backstory about what happened or the tape but I guess we’ll learn about it in future cases. Also is that Franciska in the next chapter? Lol

2. Turnabout Airplane
Ohh, murder in an airplane, interesting. The guy looks like Togami from DR lol Wow, Teneiro is a bit too forceful. Lablanc lol Do I get a new partner every chapter? Sweet, Phoenix reference. Does the “MUNCHMUNCHMUNCH” title thread comes frm that passenger? What’s up with the Cammy girl? What’s even going on anymore? I don’t have a clue about who did it.

Man this case is long, I like it :D Hey that’s Sal Manella!! So that means he had a short jail sentence right? Probably the same for Dee Vazquez, cool. Aaaaand Franciska is back too! Lunchstar? Starr got that famous already? :eek: “It’s over 9000!” xD So Steel Samurai will have a movie? Will Edgeworth go fanboy mode? Loving all the references so far.
Hmm is the blood cloth from Lablanc? Edgeworth don’t be a jerk to Teneiro haha okay I am still a little confused but I think it’s safe to say it was Cammy. Lol at Lablanc falling. Oh my gosh Cammy is finally awake and… making bubbles? Awesome still. That breakdown was awesome. I kinda feel sorry for her; but the case in general was amazing.

3. Kidnapped Turnabout
Hey Edgeworth is carrying a suitcase from the previous case, aww. Ohh, is that the Gatewater trademark Phoenix always talks about? And it now has the Blue Badger?! :D Haunted House? Welp this isn’t good now. Ehh is that a Blue Badger over there? Oh god that was creepy AGGAGHAH
Hoy, that’s the girl from the boxart. So Kay is the successor of the Yatagarasu? Omg Blue Badger has a family!! And the Proto Badger is based on the badger found in the department of every AA game :D People won’t rescue Edgeworth heh. So I’m still in the park? Interesting. If this is a cowboy area maybe Marshall will appear. LOL at all the police officers and then the Blue Badger. “Not so fast!” Holy Wolverineees. I hope Kay is related to Ron or Mask DeMasque, just so he can appear. Hmm if the Yatagarasu works like that why didn’t it stopped Bluecorp and Redd? That cactus is Billy! :D Yeah the Gatewater hotel was used in the first two games and Edgeworth appearead in both of the cases. “Sorry but I stole your support role!” So Gumshoe isn’t the Maya of this game after all o: This game is going to be filled with Manfred references right? :D
OH MY GOOOOOOD MIKE IS BACK!!! So glad he’s back :D

Oh man, so there IS a murder after all, thought this would be a steal/kidnap case. And the victim is the butler of course. Isn’t Colin Devorae = Oliver Deaco but arreanged? Haha the candy ring from that chick. We’re all cartoon characters in the inside. Sooo they got someome to say “Not so fast” but couldn’t ado a “Hold it” ? Poor Meekins lol his cut-in haha

MIDDLE
Its itsi tsisitisisitisitsits EMA!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY Is that a DS she’s holding? Hahaha. Yay it’s the Pink Badger!! Oh balls she’s Oldbag, poor Edgeworth. Why isn’t Ema my sidekick? WHY?  Sooo all this conversations and Ema hasn’t said almost anything? Finally! This new stuff is interesting. Hopefully Max Galactica wins his duel! And the Gavinners are supposed to be something from the Apollo game right? Ohh Jammin’ Ninja reference! And the drums have Blue Badger face in it haha.
Ema and Oldbag must be like “do we just stand here and…” So if the victim was one of the kidnappers, then a woman must be the killer right? Her girlfriend?
Part two
“Tender Lender” Oh noes, creepy Viola flashbaks. 10 years ago? Maybe he’s Lauren’s father or something? Ahh Proto Badger looks scary actually. I wonder if Kay photos will be of any use. That Proto Badger gotta be Gumshoe right?
END Part 1
Your baby Gumshoe? It’s Chief’s!. So if there’s a pendant of wings and the victim had one of a horse; that means it’s a Pegasus right? Soo if she’s indeed a kidnapper, that means it was a father-daughter work to do, maybe as revenge? Wait, if we apply AA logic rules, if she’s testifying now then that means she isn’t the culprit, and if legacy or main characters can’t also be the culprit, that only leaves the Amano left. Darn, so it was Lancce, goddamit Tender Lender, they should just shut down that company. Ernest to the rescue! Lol it appears as if he’s covering up for him. Wait wait wait he actually is! Man Ernest is good!
Part 2
Little Thief time! I can’t forget that creepy Proto Badger. Hmm what if before entered with the ransom, it was actually doll, but after while he was in the room Lance changed the doll with him in the costume and then proceeded to hit Edgeworth? “Much like the Steel Samurai and the Evil Magistrate” lol Huh, interesting conclusion with the mirror and stuff. Still feels weird that Lance planned to steal from his father when he could just asked for the money himself, and I hope we find out what really happened with the murder, ya know, if it was really self-defense or something. Oh hey, there’s Portsman and his friend. So he’s also related to the whole smuggling ring stuff?
Gummy? And what’s that that she’s holding?

4. Turnabout Reminiscene
Yo is that classic Judge? Wait first task as a prosecutor? I thought that was Mia’s case. Heeey there’s the jacket!! Oh my God Yess it’s VON KARMA!! Bailiff is totally Edgey’s rival. Hmm am I finally going to be in court?! Died Mann? Seriously? Lol Heyy there’s cute little Kay. So many things happening!! Lol at the reference of memory loss from the fire extinguisher. Calisto is really weird. OMG little Franciska! ;D Was hoping she would be my assistant. Hmmm maybe they decided to kill themselves to hide the truth of the Yatagarasu. Nevermind there’s a third party involved. I love how Edgeworth mimics Von Karma’s mannerisms. Uggh was that Objection from Calisto? That was annoying as hell. She’s annoying as hell.

MIDDLE
Woah Von Karma is still a bit of an ass to Edgeworth even when they’re young. Yay Franciska is my partner!! Of course the Von Karmas think of the lawyers as bad people. And the police work sure is lacking. There’s totally going to be a clue in the swiss role. Payne decided the name for the hot dog? LOL
Poor poor Judge “I only ask you that you please do not bring a whip into my courtroom!” If only he could imagine… Gumshoe annual bonus lol :p so the dollar Kay asked was for Gumshoe and that pink thingie was her balloon, gotcha. Edgeworth against Judge hahahaha. If Gumshoe is insisting that much, maybe it was Kay who sit there? Nevermind. I still feel bad for the Judge lol That Objection still sounds horrible

END Part 1
“If my father, who is the anchor of my life, were to die, I don’t know what I’d do” DON’T SAY THAT.
Edgeworth’s comments about the lobby make it seem like the murder occurred there. So the key is the knife? O: Hey that was Lang! So the sound of the gunshot was actually the videotape running! Was thinking about that. Please please please let Calisto be the actual murderer!!!
Part2
Calisto can’t stop with her makeup. Now, I’m gonna say that the reason she threw the perfume was as an excuse to open the window so that she and Badd could hear the gunshot and both have an alibi, right? Holy noodles Calisto is freaking crazy! That bitch D:< Glad no life was taken in the courtroom. Waaaaaait, so who is the Yatagarasu then?!”

5. Turnabout Ablaze
FINAL CHAPTER GUYS.
Does Kay suicides herself in blazes or something? Hmm, giving Edgeworth’s comments at the beginning, maybe Kay is white card and fake is black? Steel Samurai is still relevant, sweet. I like how it’s not Jammin’ Ninja vs Nickel Samurai anymore, Engarde really killed that brand. Holy cows that’s gotta be Lotta!!! Edgeworth not recognizing her xd HAHAHA Edgey still calls Mr Monkey “Miss”. Iron Infant! So both the Blue Badger and Steel Samurai got a whole family! Uff, so Kay is okay :p And Lang is involved too. Is the dead guy the one that got the no-guilty verdict in the previous chapter? Grown-up Franciska is hanging out again. Since Lang’s assistant is weirdly talking now, maybe he killed him and she’s covering up for him? Shinna sweating o: SHE’S THE MURDERER, THAT’S WHY SHE WAS ALREADY THERE AND WAS THE PERSON WITH THE COAT, I KNOW IT! Hmm, her whole attitude and appearance reminds me of Calisto, maybe she’s her? Lol Maybe the handle was switched and that’s why it doesn’t have blood.

Middle
“The things I put myself through for the sake of investigation” Poor poor Edgey. “Please don’t think of that guy as a representation of Americans” xd omg omg omg LARRY!!! “Hey! What kind of introduction is that?!” Glad to see everything’s still normal.
OMG so a Mask DeMasque is here?! But he’s the II? And he’s dead? D: Yay Badd’s back! Aww, Franciska reaction to the Nickel Samurai. Yeah the von Karmas weren’t also present for the DeMasque trial. If only Godot would appear, the prosecutors’ reunion will be completed! “I can imagine how insane that was” Pretty much. “How is it that the two of you always manage to have some cute or hot girl by your side?” I know right?! The same applies to Wolverine. “Unfortunately I don’t have the key to open your heart” That reference to the Magatama or however it’s written. Ahhahasddsj Oldbag once again, maybe Ema has a chance of appearing again? :D Even Missile is here!! Samurai Dogs LOL I can’t handle all this referenceeeees! Larry was the one who invented the Samurai Dogs right? Gourd Lake lol Interesting ending.

Part 2
“That Steel Samurai was a fake” come on Edgey lol I bet the lantern was used for the Yatagarasu silhouette in the projection theater. Thanks Lotta! That reference to flying people lol “Is it me or do his words not match his facial expressions?” Hmmm suspicious. GOT YOU SHINNA!

Part 3
Shinna and Lang doing the same poses is pretty cool. That laugh *shivers* I KNEW IT AAAAAAAAAAAGH SO SHINNA IS CALISTO D: You b*tch! I love the moments when there is a shot of everyone surprised. Kay you idiot!! Waaaaait so Badd is the THIRD Yatagarasu?! ALL THIS BACKSTORY!!! SO that’s how Amano and Portsman were linked to this whole mess!

END Part 1
Damn, who’s the mastermind?! Hmm Alba must be hiding something. Yeah I was wondering about Mask DeMasque II’s killer. What? Franciska?! Wasn’t he gonna say the ambassador. Wait, maybe he’s blaming her so that Alba will let him investigate his office? Finally these flowers are important Woo, I was right about Lang’s plan. Two choices… I guess I’ll choose illegal evidence to find the truth. Oh my gaaaawd Alba’s transformation!! And he has power like Gant too! D:

Part2
Awww the picture of the Steel Samurai with the ambassadors. Mm after this ends Edgey will give Kay something Jammin’ Ninja related, will the pick finally be used?! I love how there’s unique dialogue for everything. Also Steel Samurai’s baby is really strange. So if I get something wrong I automatically lose? Is it time to go Phoenix Wright mode?! “Guys I can just present evidence” HAHAHAHA. Aaaand Larry and Oldbag are here too! I love how Edgeworth blames Gumshoe when he’s wrong. The pick is finally used!!! It’s all coming together!!!!

Part 3
END OF THE LINE BABY! Awww, Mr. Edgeworth. And lol Larry and Kay. “You’re not the one who’s cool! The Steel Samurai who is cool!” lol I guess Larry and Kay weren’t introduced earlier. Awww Lang finally called Edgeworth “Mr. Edgeworth!” :D How things develop! “You have no right to call yourself a Steel Samurai fan!” “I will never acknowledge you as the real Steel Samurai!” XD So a bit of blood dropped in that circle? Lol Forensics guy to the rescue!! So if it isn’t Manny’s, then it must be from the wound of Alba, right? “What would that man do?...” TURN IT AROUND” DAMN RIGHT. OWWWWWWNED! That breakdown! ;D

Epilogue
“OBJECTION!” Haha poor Meekins. Ema why weren’t you in the game more &#61516; especially since you’re one of biggest fanboys of him. “Maybe I should team up with a bailiff and try to become a lawyer or something…?” That would be amazing! I’m glad Palaeno didn’t turned out to be evil or something. “Oh, so I noticed that I really haven’t seen the guy in the blue suit all recently” LOL Aww, that group photo at the end. What an amazing game &#61514;

Hopefully the next AAI game is as awesome as this one! :D

Lusankya

An English subbed playthrough of The Great Ace Attorney has started by dowolf. I won't be watching it, in hopes of a future patch, but it's one way to experience the game.

I think I will watch it. I did the same for AAI2 and then enjoyed it later via the translation patch a second time.

This time it seems like the translation will take an even longer time and the group will only translate but not localize the game.

On the subject of DGS - I wrote up a pretty exhaustive review (5,000 words) if anyone's interested. It's broadly spoiler-free, but be warned it does discuss plot structure (including the ending) and mentions the basic setups of a few cases.

http://www.forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=31590

Great writeup, it seems mostly inline with the impressions that I've already heard, but it's nice to see it gone into in that depth.

And reading about this game continues to be depressing. Capcom please.

Top Bottom