• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

FluxWaveZ

Neat, something to look forward to, though I don't want to take in too much AA6 info. Mainly want to hear more about the anime.

Lusankya

Yeah, there was some internet drama and now both translation groups of DGS stopped working. What the heck, my faith in humanity is at a new low point.

daydream

Banned
Yeah, there was some internet drama and now both translation groups of DGS stopped working. What the heck, my faith in humanity is at a new low point.

that's too bad

were they working on a translation patch or just a script (as in, to be used for a subbed yt playthrough, for example)? since i wouldn't have had much use for the latter myself

FluxWaveZ

that's too bad

were they working on a translation patch or just a script (as in, to be used for a subbed yt playthrough, for example)? since i wouldn't have had much use for the latter myself

The latter probably would be a waste of time, considering dowolf's ongoing trasnlated YouTube playthrough. It was probably the former.

GSR

that's too bad

The latter probably would be a waste of time, considering dowolf's ongoing trasnlated YouTube playthrough. It was probably the former.

You misunderstand - it was the two YouTube subbers (DoWolf and "DGS") that stopped due to each having issues with the other. As far as I know the rom-hacking fan translation group is same as it ever was (whatever that means here.)

Frustrating all around.

FluxWaveZ

You misunderstand - it was the two YouTube subbers (DoWolf and "DGS") that stopped due to each having issues with the other. As far as I know the rom-hacking fan translation group is same as it ever was (whatever that means here.)

Frustrating all around.

...Huh? So it's what I was talking about that halted instead, while the other effort is still ongoing? That's really odd, I was thinking of watching the videos as a last resort if the fan translation never came about.

GSR

...Huh? So it's what I was talking about that halted instead, while the other effort is still ongoing? That's really odd, I was thinking of watching the videos as a last resort if the fan translation never came about.

As far as I know the situation is:

There were two YouTube subbers, DoWolf and a pair calling their channel "Dai Gyakuten Saiban". DoWolf aimed at more of a localization, was slower, and uploaded as he went; "DGS" was more focused on speed, had a more literal/awkward translation, and uploaded big chunks of the cases before subbing them.

The two apparently talked prior, but more friction showed up recently which resulted in DoWolf calling out the other group in the most recent video and deciding to quit out of frustration. Then the callout led to the "DGS" pair quitting as well, though they may have walked that back slightly.

Like I said, frustrating all around.

Ace Attorney anime starts Spring

Directed by Ayumu Watanabe at A-1 Pictures, series composition by Atsuhiro Tomioka and Kaowru Wada doing the music.

Starring Yūki Kaji as Phoenix, Aoi Yūki as Maya Fey, Masashi Tamaki as Miles Edgeworth, Chie Nakamura as Mia Fey.

Source

Ace Attorney anime starts Spring

Directed by Ayumu Watanabe at A-1 Pictures, series composition by Atsuhiro Tomioka and Kaowru Wada doing the music.

Starring Yūki Kaji as Phoenix, Aoi Yūki as Maya Fey, Masashi Tamaki as Miles Edgeworth, Chie Nakamura as Mia Fey.

Source

Ayumu Watanabe? That's very promising. Wada is a strong composer, too.

GSR

Japanese Twitter does not seem happy that they keep changing up the voice cast, heh.

Also, Jump Festa stages start in half an hour.

I caved and watched the 1st case of DGS translated on Youtube. Even in the first case, there's a number of things that would make localizing this weird, but I don't think it's impossible. On the other hand, AA6 probably won't be released until late next year and with NX rumoured to be releasing next year with a mobile unit, along with the fact that Capcom now seems to ignore any non-Phoenix games, I doubt they'll even bother.

Speaking on case itself, it was pretty interesting for the first case, the one major problem was
is that it was way too long, especially the last section which they obviously dragged out. Having no motive is weird as well. They did a similar concept with Kristoph but with how much I've heard that this game relies on potential sequels, I wonder if it will even be answered in this game, since the victim is clearly related to one of the other characters.

Shouta

I've actually been playing Dai Gyakuten Saiban myself. On case 2 in fact.

Case 1 is long and honestly, somewhat easy in regards to the whodunnit but path to unravel it is pretty good for a first case.

Hey everybody. I've been an Ace Attorney fan for years (played the trilogy on DS back in 2009), and I just recently found this thread (though I've been a more of a lurker for the past while).

However, I'm working on a writing an AA case and I'm trying there's some information about characters, their ages, and the dates of certain big cases in the series. First off, I was wondering if any of you have played AAI Case 4 recently, and could tell me what was Miles' age during that case (working on a timeline to figure out how old he should be in my case).

Also, I was wondering one what date exactly did the KG-8 Incident (Cece Yew's murder) take place. The Ace Attorney Wiki and Court Records.net seem to contradict each other, with CR saying it takes place in 2008 and the wiki saying 2009. I'm more inclined to believe CR, since the wiki messed up on some ages because they didn't realize the majority of AA3 takes place in 2018, but I want to make sure. In the same vein, I was also wondering what date AAI Case 4 took place on.

If any of you could give me some help with this info, I'll be really grateful.

GSR

I've actually been playing Dai Gyakuten Saiban myself. On case 2 in fact.

Case 1 is long and honestly, somewhat easy in regards to the whodunnit but path to unravel it is pretty good for a first case.

Yeah, case one is fun but just too long for its own good. Looking forward to your thoughts on case two, I really liked it. (Import thread is over here, by the way.)

Hey everybody. I've been an Ace Attorney fan for years (played the trilogy on DS back in 2009), and I just recently found this thread (though I've been a more of a lurker for the past while).

However, I'm working on a writing an AA case and I'm trying there's some information about characters, their ages, and the dates of certain big cases in the series. First off, I was wondering if any of you have played AAI Case 4 recently, and could tell me what was Miles' age during that case (working on a timeline to figure out how old he should be in my case).

Also, I was wondering one what date exactly did the KG-8 Incident (Cece Yew's murder) take place. The Ace Attorney Wiki and Court Records.net seem to contradict each other, with CR saying it takes place in 2008 and the wiki saying 2009. I'm more inclined to believe CR, since the wiki messed up on some ages because they didn't realize the majority of AA3 takes place in 2018, but I want to make sure. In the same vein, I was also wondering what date AAI Case 4 took place on.

If any of you could give me some help with this info, I'll be really grateful.

Hoo boy. Timeline stuff in AA is not fun. Lemme see if I can suss this out.

The only hard date in the series is that the DL-6 incident was on December 28th, 2001. That's fifteen years before AA1 (2016-2017). AA2 takes place over the following year (2017-2018). AA3 is 2018-2019 and AAI is strictly 2019.

AAI-4 takes place seven years before AAI. So AAI-4 should be in September 2012, right...?

Except then a contradiction pops up. AA3-4 takes place six years before AA3, which puts it in February 2012. But AAI-4 happened before AA3-4!

So Croik's reckoning back when she put together the timeline was that you have to bump back AAI-4 to September 2011 for the timeline to make sense. And you can kind of fudge it - AAI-4 is September 2011, the rest of AAI is March 2019. Just gotta round down 7.5 years to 7 years. (This doesn't solve a certain issue with Edgeworth's birthday, but that's a whole other problem.)

Now, with AAI-4 placed at September 2011, we look at the case, which says KG-8 was 'three years ago'. Which puts KG-8 sometime in 2008. In other words

AAI-4: 7.5 years before AAI [2011-2019 = '7 years']
AA3-4: 6-ish years before AA3 [2012-2018 = '6 years']
AA3-1: 4.75-ish years before AA3 [2013-2018 ='5 years']

All that said: you can shift all this forward a year depending on how you take AA3-4's placement.

If you take it as six years before 3-5 (rather than before 3-2, 3-3, or some other part of 'present-day' T&T), then it winds up in February 2013, which puts AAI-4 in September 2012 after all, and KG-8 in 2009. This is likely what the AA wiki was using as their reckoning. And to be fair, 3-5 uses "six years ago" in relation to a very firm point in time (
Phoenix in the hospital
), while the ending to 3-1 probably alludes to 3-5 (Phoenix says "something has happened" that brings up memories of 3-1).

Then it becomes:
AAI-4: 6.5 years before AAI [2012-2019 = '7 years']
AA3-4: 6 years before 3-5/AAI [2013-2019 = '6 years']
AA3-1: 4.75-ish years before 3-5/AAI [2014-2019 ='5 years']

And this is without getting into the whole mess that is the characters' ages! Somewhere, someone wishes they'd left that pesky "2001" off a case file...

Makonero

For those of you who are expectantly awaiting AA6, might I turn your attention to Aviary Attorney? It just launched on Steam and although I've only played Act 1, it has very similar gameplay, a unique artstyle, and very good writing so far! Pick it up!

Hoo boy. Timeline stuff in AA is not fun. Lemme see if I can suss this out.

The only hard date in the series is that the DL-6 incident was on December 28th, 2001. That's fifteen years before AA1 (2016-2017). AA2 takes place over the following year (2017-2018). AA3 is 2018-2019 and AAI is strictly 2019.

AAI-4 takes place seven years before AAI. So AAI-4 should be in September 2012, right...?

Except then a contradiction pops up. AA3-4 takes place six years before AA3, which puts it in February 2012. But AAI-4 happened before AA3-4!

So Croik's reckoning back when she put together the timeline was that you have to bump back AAI-4 to September 2011 for the timeline to make sense. And you can kind of fudge it - AAI-4 is September 2011, the rest of AAI is March 2019. Just gotta round down 7.5 years to 7 years. (This doesn't solve a certain issue with Edgeworth's birthday, but that's a whole other problem.)

Now, with AAI-4 placed at September 2011, we look at the case, which says KG-8 was 'three years ago'. Which puts KG-8 sometime in 2008. In other words

AAI-4: 7.5 years before AAI [2011-2019 = '7 years']
AA3-4: 6-ish years before AA3 [2012-2018 = '6 years']
AA3-1: 4.75-ish years before AA3 [2013-2018 ='5 years']

All that said: you can shift all this forward a year depending on how you take AA3-4's placement.

If you take it as six years before 3-5 (rather than before 3-2, 3-3, or some other part of 'present-day' T&T), then it winds up in February 2013, which puts AAI-4 in September 2012 after all, and KG-8 in 2009. This is likely what the AA wiki was using as their reckoning. And to be fair, 3-5 uses "six years ago" in relation to a very firm point in time (
Phoenix in the hospital
), while the ending to 3-1 probably alludes to 3-5 (Phoenix says "something has happened" that brings up memories of 3-1).

Then it becomes:
AAI-4: 6.5 years before AAI [2012-2019 = '7 years']
AA3-4: 6 years before 3-5/AAI [2013-2019 = '6 years']
AA3-1: 4.75-ish years before 3-5/AAI [2014-2019 ='5 years']

And this is without getting into the whole mess that is the characters' ages! Somewhere, someone wishes they'd left that pesky "2001" off a case file...

Thanks... now my head hurts.

I think I'll be using the "AAI-4 is in 2011" timeline, since I always took 3-1 as taking place in 2013.

Do you remember what Edgeworth's age was during AAI-4, since I'm trying to get a grasp of what age he should be in the case (I know that Edgeworth's birthday makes no sense, so I'm planning on using AAI-4 as my anchor). Also, the DL-6 Incident happened when he was eight, correct?

FluxWaveZ

Wait, where the hell was there a PV for the Ace Attorney anime?

CZ0M8rLUAAIC7QW.jpg:orig
CZ0M8tjUEAAYq_7.jpg:orig

And how am I only finding about this now? Are these real? Thought there'd be some with it coming out relatively soon, but I didn't think I'd miss it.

Wow, the brief bit you can make out of the
evidence room encounter with Von Karma
looks incredibly faithful to the actual art asset for that location from the game.

GSR

Hold up a sec. While it's true those could be from the anime, a few folks have pointed out it's pretty common for pachinko machines to have specially made scenes. Couple that with the quality, lack of attribution to A-1, and the fact they're showing 1-4 and JFA months before the airdate, and it really starts to look like those are just one-offs for the pachinko.

Still pretty cool.

FluxWaveZ

Hold up a sec. While it's true those could be from the anime, a few folks have pointed out it's pretty common for pachinko machines to have specially made scenes. Couple that with the quality, lack of attribution to A-1, and the fact they're showing 1-4 and JFA months before the airdate, and it really starts to look like those are just one-offs for the pachinko.

Still pretty cool.

Yeah, that's true and also why I added the "potentially modified" qualifier in my earlier comment. No clear indication that those scenes are from the anime, but I wish they were because they look great.

Yeah, there's absolutely 0% chance they're from the anime. This early there's a decent chance they don't even have the first episode finished, never mind stuff from that far along.

Hey, don't know if there's any interest from people here, but the NeoGAF Mafia community is currently taking signups for it's 5th season, with one of the games being Phoenix Wright themed.

For anyone who hasn't heard of it, Mafia is a forum game which involves trying to identify the killers from amongst the players (or trying to stay hidden if you are one of the killers). The signup thread has a much better explanation than I can give though: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1175429

If it sounds interesting, you should give it a try. I'm assuming that most people here at least like murder mysteries and shouting accusations at innocent people :p

Yousefb

Quick question regarding Dual Destinies: do I have to finish the game to access the DLC case? I finished the game a year ago and had downloaded the DLC at the time. But I did not play much of it as I ended up deleting it to make some space for another game on my SD card. Anyway I decided to re-download the game now to play the DLC case but the only selection available is "new game". It's been a while since I played it but I thought the DLC case was available from the beginning.

GSR

Quick question regarding Dual Destinies: do I have to finish the game to access the DLC case? I finished the game a year ago and had downloaded the DLC at the time. But I did not play much of it as I ended up deleting it to make some space for another game on my SD card. Anyway I decided to re-download the game now to play the DLC case but the only selection available is "new game". It's been a while since I played it but I thought the DLC case was available from the beginning.

You need to finish the first case to access the DLC.

Guys. I have been stuck on that case in JFA since last October. I just can't power through it. It's killing me.

You know. That one.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

ugh.

Top Bottom