• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown Deluxe Edition announced for the Switch with a confirmed release date of July 11, 2024

Puscifer

This is the one ace combat I never bought. Next time it's on sale is there an edition to just buy it once and get everything? I felt like last time I looked you could but there was still more dlc, feels weird man

Gambit2483

Anyone else notice how Bandai Namco seemingly NEVER releases a game physically in both NA and Europe?

Unless it's like Dragon Ball or something they always either do the physical in NA and digital in EU or vice versa. This game, for example, only got a physical release in EU and is digitally exclusive in NA. Anyone know why they do this?

wvnative

Probably a really stupid question to ask, but would anybody be kind enough to check if they were nice enough to add button remapping options to this version of the game?

NanaMiku

SwitchUp released their review + performance video. They gave it an 85 out of 100 and they also mentioned that bamco did a good job with the port.

TQupP6M.png

Nice. It's quite a magic that they can port this game to Switch lol. I never expected it

This is the one ace combat I never bought. Next time it's on sale is there an edition to just buy it once and get everything? I felt like last time I looked you could but there was still more dlc, feels weird man
Hmm. IIRC not. Even the ultimate edition still doesn't include all the DLC planes. The DLC planes are more like fan services. You only need the season pass and the main game if you want only the story.
02919fd4a6.png

That is a strong statement - but probably correct.
7 has to be given credit though for resurrecting the series after a decade long hiatus - and the near deathblow that was (the super shitty) Assault Horizon.

Even the worst AC game is still a good game though - think about it.

Very true. The IFF gimmick in this one made me lukewarm on it, though aside from that it plays the best out of all the games and was a good return to form. I am hoping they take lessons learned and AC8 is successful.

I mean, didn't we have a recent example with Ghost of Tsushima coming to Steam after 4 years of being a PlayStation exclusive and releasing at full price (e.g. $60)? It turned out to be the best selling game in May, according to NPD (Circana).

I don't have issues with this being a full release considering the deluxe comes with a bunch of pricy DLC and the port looks to be quality as well. If people don't want to pay full price they can ofc wait for a sale.

Even for first party games Id say $60 is too much but this is third party game that is not going to look as good on Switch either and you are paying more than what the game is sold on modern consoles. GoT on PC you get way higher resolution and more details. On Switch you get the gimped version of all consoles.

Last edited:

Fahdis

That is a strong statement - but probably correct.
7 has to be given credit though for resurrecting the series after a decade long hiatus - and the near deathblow that was (the super shitty) Assault Horizon.

Even the worst AC game is still a good game though - think about it.

Although I agree that its still somewhat a good game in context of the Arcadey aspects of Ace Combat. I could not find the story intriguing at all, infact its convoluted and stretched. If I didn't have the Holy Trifecta as a pedigree, I may have enjoyed this. I get we are moving towards the story of Ace Combat 3... but holy shit the voice acting was bad and I did not care about Trigger AT ALL or the wingmen, I can't even remember their names except Mihaly because its like mentioned every 3 seconds and I finished the game to Platinum. In contrast you have Yellow 13, the Ribbons, Pixy, PJ, Archer, Nagase, Snow, Chopper, Bartlett, Pops, Hamilton. Heck even Scarface was more memoroable.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Even for first party games Id say $60 is too much but this is third party game that is not going to look as good on Switch either and you are paying more than what the game is sold on modern consoles. GoT on PC you get way higher resolution and more details. On Switch you get the gimped version of all consoles.
The game is still full price on Steam with the Ultimate Edition being $99.99. This Deluxe Edition which is priced at $60 has most of the content from the Ultimate Edition with the exception of the Maverick DLC. If they would've lowered the base price on Steam you would have a point, but they didn't. Also, I've linked in this thread the review from Switch Up where they said that the port is good.

Anyway, it's clear I won't be changing your mind so let's agree to disagree here.

Comparison_Chart_AC7.png

xq3z7aB.png

Last edited:

CamHostage

I want Nintendo to make an Ace Combat-like Star Fox game with this team.

Eh, no, it's not the right engine or gameplay focus for Starfox. This team could still conceivably make a good shooter, but it would mostly be from scratch. (Or they could make a fun flying game with I guess planetary surface and space "terrain" in this engine, but then it wouldn't really be Starfox.)

Woopah

Well Bandai is working with ILCA for the Ace Combat series, and Nintendo seems to have made ILCA a partner too. So it's possible.

Probably a really stupid question to ask, but would anybody be kind enough to check if they were nice enough to add button remapping options to this version of the game?
Switch has button remapping at the system level - https://en-americas-support.nintend...button-mapping-on-nintendo-switch-controllers

Woopah

The Ace team agrees!

JR:If your team could work on one Nintendo franchise, which would you most like to work on?

RH: As the ACE COMBAT team, we still think it would be fun to create a "Star Fox" series. There are many elements that are close to the ACE COMBAT series, not only in game genre and play, but also in radio direction, and it is very exciting to fantasize about what kind of "Star Fox" Project ACES would create.

So now we've got...

*checks notes*

Ace Combat 7 on the Switch before ANY of the PS360 Call of Duties lmao

AC7 is great though, curious to see how it holds up on the portable Gamecube. My hopes are higher after seeing how well Nier Automata and Red Dead transferred over

BlackTron

So now we've got...

*checks notes*

Ace Combat 7 on the Switch before ANY of the PS360 Call of Duties lmao

AC7 is great though, curious to see how it holds up on the portable Gamecube. My hopes are higher after seeing how well Nier Automata and Red Dead transferred over

Oh come on!! It's at least three duct taped together.

wvnative

Well Bandai is working with ILCA for the Ace Combat series, and Nintendo seems to have made ILCA a partner too. So it's possible.

Switch has button remapping at the system level - https://en-americas-support.nintend...button-mapping-on-nintendo-switch-controllers

Yeah I know. System remapping is great, but it's always got some drawbacks since it's global.

But I did forget that Switch is the only console with profiles for system wide remapping, which helps a bit. I use a wide variety combo of tools to help me, cronus zen/system remapping etc.

However, AC games can be a little tricky to comfortably remap.

Gambit2483

Will scour for a physical copy.
Just got mine off Videogamesplus.

It's a Canadian site and ships to Anywhere in the US. It comes to about $52 USD. Also it's the EU version as there is no official NA physical version of this game.

They seem to have limited supply so if anyone wants it physically for a decent price I wouldn't wait too long...

Last edited:
Top Bottom