• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon |OT| We Will Fight The Fight Since You Won't

I already have this pre-ordered but the fighter mission alone ensured i'm getting my moneys worth. Can't say the same about the chopper mission though, that was abit lackluster and i hope the game won't have too many mandatory chopper missions...

The jet portion was fun as hell and i don't mind it being overly arcade or on autopilot during dogfights. Controls settings to Original of course.

Finally got to play it.

I don't know... The F22 mission is okay I guess, but the chopper one is awful.

The vehicles models are gorgeous though.

MechaX

Crazymoogle said:
Sounds like a wild over-reaction to me - dogfight mode was neither required nor "instant win".

Really? Can you make a good argument as to how it was not required or an instant win button?

You are required to shoot down aces which after being hit by two missiles, start shooting out infinite flares and have regenerating health. After initiating dogfight mode, you essentially cannot screw up the process; rolling your plane doesn't even matter as you are going to automatically track onto the target regardless of what you do. Oh, an ace is behind you? You can initiate dogfight mode to instantly get behind him and initiate the process again.

If that was all for tutorial purposes, then that's fine. But as of the demo that everybody in this topic has played, dogfight mode was definitely required some of the time.

MechaX said:
Really? Can you make a good argument as to how it was not required or an instant win button?

You are required to shoot down aces which after being hit by two missiles, start shooting out infinite flares and have regenerating health. After initiating dogfight mode, you essentially cannot screw up the process; rolling your plane doesn't even matter as you are going to automatically track onto the target regardless of what you do. Oh, an ace is behind you? You can initiate dogfight mode to instantly get behind him and initiate the process again.

If that was all for tutorial purposes, then that's fine. But as of the demo that everybody in this topic has played, dogfight mode was definitely required some of the time.
I must suck then cause I tend to lose them from time to time trying to counter their jukes.

EekTheKat

The fighter mission seems to be just the tutorial section of the game, with segments that intentionally push you to use certain things to get past certain areas (like using the machien gun to deal with the guy with near infinite flares). The radio chatter and the machine gun tutorial box that pops up sure did make it seem like that's the case.

Outside of the machine gun tutorial, the rest of the enemies seem to go down in a fairly routine fashion.

FoggyFreek

Don't forget to change the controls to Traditional! I thought it was quite frustrating to have only up and down.. Glad i could change it.

For a change, i thought the demo said nothing about the end-product. It was a pure introduction for new players. I'll buy it anyway. I love the cinematics, aircraft and story so it's a no-brainer anyway.

I heard that if this one doesn't sell; Ace Combat is dead. A guy on GameKings (dutch tv) said that in the review.

MechaX said:

Let me clarify on this one based on my experience. You are not required to shoot down aces with DFM. They can use flares but they can do it twice only before they take time to reload and then you can take them down with missiles. After initiating DFM you can get out of it and then shoot down aircraft by missiles as well. Also, If there is an enemy behind you, Press Right Analog and to shoot out flares or try to dodge their missiles, beside your aircraft regenerates in the demo.

I made this short video shooting down a "TGT_LEAD". It is taken out of a longer video of my playing session which consists of taking down more than one TGT_LEAD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yqE5fX7gps

S. L.

FoggyFreek said:
Don't forget to change the controls to Traditional! I thought it was quite frustrating to have only up and down.. Glad i could change it.
heh, yeah. i was wondering why the plane was flying so weird the i found the option

MechaX

Dark Octave said:
I must suck then cause I tend to lose them from time to time trying to counter their jukes.

I tested it out and you are right, you actually can lose them. I tested it by not moving the joystick at all during the sequences and while it still tracks on the very first sequence, you can lose track of them if you don't move. But given how highly responsive the plane gets in this mode, you shouldn't be losing them that much, especially if you accelerate and brake at the right intervals.

Solid warrior said:
Let me clarify on this one based on my experience. You are not required to shoot down aces with DFM. They can use flares but they can do it twice only before they take time to reload and then you can take them down with missiles. After initiating DFM you can get out of it and then shoot down aircraft by missiles as well. Also, If there is an enemy behind you, Press Right Analog and to shoot out flares or try to dodge their missiles, beside your aircraft regenerates in the demo.

I made this short video shooting down a "TGT_LEAD". It is taken out of a longer video of my playing session which consists of taking down more than one TGT_LEAD.

I don't know if this a demo version difference or what (I'm using the PS3 version), but I loaded up the demo and got to the exact same part as that video to test it out for myself. Whether it was due to the fact that you got some good shots at a distance, that was definitely not my experience; the ace matched his flare speed blow for blow with my missile recharge speed (and at that point in the demo where it wants you to go into dogfight mode, you cannot even use your special weapons). And after a certain point, he just started laying down flares for essentially every missile shot.

But eh, that was for just tutorial purposes, I thought. So I decided to try taking on another ace. The catch with the next one is that he only launches two flares.

Unfortunately (and god, I wish I had the capability to make videos of this), the ace did not die. It was getting hit for certain and it was not using flares. Hell, health regen could not have been an issue since his plane was still in flames in its critical health state. Hell, I stayed glued to his ass pretty close. I am not exaggerating on this number, but the guy was still alive after around 30 missiles with over two thirds of those connecting.

I use the dogfight mode and the guy is down in two missile hits.

Solid warrior said:

Still, it's clear they are really pushing DFM. The lack of a leading crosshair is supporting this.

Arukado

MechaX said:
Hell, I stayed glued to his ass pretty close. I am not exaggerating on this number, but the guy was still alive after around 30 missiles with over two thirds of those connecting.
I tried to kill a lead target without DFM five minutes ago, and that is exactly what happened (20 missile hits and the guy was like new).
MechaX said:
It's funny when the game doesn't let you kill him in DFM, because the script says he has to crash with a stadium or something.

Well, i think i'll keep playing Joint Assault and pass on this.

MechaX said:
I tested it out and you are right, you actually can lose them. I tested it by not moving the joystick at all during the sequences and while it still tracks on the very first sequence, you can lose track of them if you don't move. But given how highly responsive the plane gets in this mode, you shouldn't be losing them that much, especially if you accelerate and brake at the right intervals.

I don't know if this a demo version difference or what (I'm using the PS3 version), but I loaded up the demo and got to the exact same part as that video to test it out for myself. Whether it was due to the fact that you got some good shots at a distance, that was definitely not my experience; the ace matched his flare speed blow for blow with my missile recharge speed (and at that point in the demo where it wants you to go into dogfight mode, you cannot even use your special weapons). And after a certain point, he just started laying down flares for essentially every missile shot.

But eh, that was for just tutorial purposes, I thought. So I decided to try taking on another ace. The catch with the next one is that he only launches two flares.

Unfortunately (and god, I wish I had the capability to make videos of this), the ace did not die. It was getting hit for certain and it was not using flares. Hell, health regen could not have been an issue since his plane was still in flames in its critical health state. Hell, I stayed glued to his ass pretty close. I am not exaggerating on this number, but the guy was still alive after around 30 missiles with over two thirds of those connecting.

Try initiating dogfight mode then try to disable it by decelerating or moving away from the target. then try to shoot down that target by missiles.

I experienced something in the demo, sometimes the lead can not be taken down by missiles or even machine gun until you go DFM and he becomes weak once you try to get out of DFM and then shoot him.

It might be something related to the tutorial, forcing things, you know.

Mengetsu

Meisadragon said:
Same here. Assault Horizon takes it to an another level though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVpN6RG4Ah4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCpls3feBZI

Great stuff. Music in this series never fails me.

Nothing will be out AC4 Mission 8 Shattered Skies for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtlniZnl84Y

That was the moment i felt like a top gun pilot!

After playing the demo I like it. It is going for that western feel like im in a movie status with the Dog fights. The helicopter can stay down lol

Arukado

Solid warrior said:
Try initiating dogfight mode then try to disable it by decelerating or moving away from the target. then try to shoot down that target by missiles.
Yes, that works (i just shoot down 2 lead targets). It seems that if you disable it, the enemy keeps flying the path scripted by the dog fight, and is only vulnerable that way.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I finally tried out the demo and... on one hand I'm severely disappointed, on the other I know this is just a tutorial/demo mission and an old build so things could change dramatically later on. This is exactly the same demo that we've watched in full since e3, so everyone knew what to expect. The problem is you really have no freedom in how you tackle things. We watched the same DFM paths and scripting in the demo, and everyone is seeing the same thing every time they play. No one has a unique experience. I'm glad DFM is only necessary for TGT_LEADs, but there are so many of them I only got to take down like 3 or 4 planes the normal way. I can see how they could make it very challenging with aces countering your DRM and having it turn into a game of tug of war, but I really prefer tailing and dogfighting under my own skill rather than flying on a rail and play "dodge the circle". I doubt we'll get any solowing pixy-caliber fights in this if they're all relegated to DFM.

I had suspicions the game used regenerating health back at e3 when I watched the chopper mission. I'm sad that turned out to be true, but I'm holding on to my reservations because it could have a negligible impact on the game in the end. I didn't even try the chopper mission in the end. I've seen enough of that nonsense in the e3 demos.

Music is awesome of course, but it's still the same track we've heard a dozen times. Incredible music is expected of AC anyway.

Despite what it does well the whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I need to go replay AC5 now...

legbone

the part of me that is an old time ace combat fan (not die hard though by any means) is disappointed. this game plays differently. no two ways about it. this is not ace combat of old. but the part of me that wants to play a kick ass game, fly cool planes, and blow crap up is pretty happy with it. i am definitely having mixed emotions but overall i found that i really like this demo. if it did not have the ace combat name on it i think a lot more people would be raving about it. like the way driver is more of a driving action game then a racing game or sim, this is more of a flying action game as opposed to a more sim approach. unfortunately once the cool factor of flying an apache wore off i realized how boring the chopper mission was. not to mention i had to switch to first person mode so i could see what i was shooting at. i'm more of a third person kind of guy when it comes to ace combat (may explain why i'm not super disappointed in this title). but the raptor mission was pretty damn cool to me. as someone who has a problem with hitting the deck during a dogfight and losing my bogies all the time i kind of welcome the dogfight mode. i liked forgetting about my surroundings and just concentrating on taking out the guy i'm stuck to. and the visuals of the machine guns ripping off rounds was pretty awesome. that sound! anyway, this went from pick it up when it's cheap to day one perch for me. i've always been a casual ace combat fan and i think this one is tailor made for me. i just hope there is plenty of mission variety and cool set-pieces in the final game. oh, and i really hope i get to fly a warthog.

woo hoo!

warthog confirmed (and pretty cool vid)

http://www.giantbomb.com/advanced-t...return-in-ace-combat-assault-horizon/17-4896/

EXGN

Seems like Namco chose a really poor mission for the demo. Woulda been nice for the tutorial and then a REAL map to show how the game will actually play.

As for the dogfight mode, I really liked how how cinematic it was. It's cool chasing fighters in between buildings and cranes trying to shoot them down, but it's pretty easy - definitely an "instant win" button in the demo. I'm not gonna judge until I hear more about the real game, the demo was clearly just a tutorial so that kinda sucks.

As it stands, I probably won't buy it on launch but once it drops $30 in two weeks, I'll pick it up. I've definitely been jonesing for a new Ace game, though, and the music and epicness definitely hit hard. Haven't played one since Zero.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I quite enjoyed it myself as a whole.

The Plane level was alright, I can understand it holding your hand seeing as it seemed to be a pretty early if not the first mission, knowing a lot of games ways of making you awesome in the first level and then metroid'in you, having an F22 I would assume it is the first mission.

It controlled great, I don't know if it was me or if I have forgotten what it looked like, but I swear the plane felt much closer than in previous games, I kept waiting for it to zoom out a bit, but the planes ass was right in your face even when your not dog fighting.
Also the dog fighting, it seems pretty nifty, definitely an interesting approach, and generally adds a more "epic" vibe to trying to take down other jets.

The graphics are nice, but it doesn't feel like they spent any time trying to give it any sort of improvement over AC6, and at some points the plane kinda looked like something you would get at the start of this generation though, maybe it is just the demo build or it is just going to be a lame PS3 version.

The Helicopter level was alright too, it went on longer than it should have but plesently reminded me of the old Strike games from EA, at one point they said there was a tank followed by me turning around to immediately get blown out of the sky by it.
I kinda wish the helicopter wouldn't constantly get in my way too, I quite enjoy seeing whatever vehicle from a 3rd person perspective, but it kept getting stuck between the camera and whatever I was shooter, cockpit view also acted strange.

I'm not sure how big the map is for the Helicopter level, but graphically it looked pretty poor sometimes being so close to the ground, but I guess that is what happens when you try to turn a game where you spend most of your time rushing past everything at a high speed and then have to slow it down.

Still, I think this will definitely be on my christmas list, I own all the console Ace Combats from the first, I'm not going to stop now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Okay, I'm surprised by this. This is kinda good. I didn't realize this was by Project Aces...you can tell by how good the music is, though!

Feels grittier. Darker. But those dogfights are still really fun. Miss the cheeky talking on the radio.

Cudder

Y2Kev said:
Okay, I'm surprised by this. This is kinda good. I didn't realize this was by Project Aces...you can tell by how good the music is, though!

Feels grittier. Darker. But those dogfights are still really fun. Miss the cheeky talking on the radio.
Isn't every Ace Combat by the Project Aces team?

DigiMish

I think the DFM mode fixes what I think is the main problem with the arcade air sim genre - sometimes, it's very hard to kill a plane.

I was playing HAWX2 the other day, and I would constantly get into this state where I'm near the enemy, but because I'm so close to them, they would quickly turn in different directions, and I couldn't do anything about that. I would either get lucky and fire a few missiles off, or most times had to fly far away from them, do a 180 and then take them down.

Call me unskilled at the genre or whatever, but to me - weaving in and out and trying to get a lock on an enemy plane when I'm close to them is NOT FUN.

DFM fixes this. Sure, it's a more streamlined action approach, but there's still strategy in DFM mode - you can still lose your target. It's not an instant kill button so to speak. Plus, I bet later in the game, there's going to be parts where you're DFMing one enemy, and more are on your back, and you'll have to perform the maneuver to get behind them.

I acknowledge that I'm not a huge arcade air sim fan, but I've played a couple Ace combat games on the PS2, and some on the PSP. I've also played HAWX2. And to me, the DFM mode is really fun and takes a lot of frustration out of the game.

DXPett1

Demo was fun HOWEVER the fact I couldn't roll and it would push my plane in a certain direction pissed me the hell off!

Hopefully that isn't present in the full game as I am eagerly anticipating the return of Ace Combat to Playstation

EXGN

DXPett1 said:
Demo was fun HOWEVER the fact I couldn't roll and it would push my plane in a certain direction pissed me the hell off!

Hopefully that isn't present in the full game as I am eagerly anticipating the return of Ace Combat to Playstation

Did you switch to traditional controls?

Lyonaz

I enjoyed the demo, both campaigns too.
At first I didn't like the chopper campaign, because I was just hovering still in the air when shooting at targets, but when a hint suggested that I should always be moving it just clicked. I was circle strafing and shit and flying over the targets while missile barraging made the game so much more fun. Also when cars were speeding towards allies and my chopper just lined up for some frontal assault, yeah that was badass.

2San

Flying the jet portion of the game is good. I really like the new way to fight leaders. I could do without the long winded crash animation of the enemies and the quick time events. The chopper section was terrible though.

The graphics are pretty crappy as well, but nothing that bad that it gets in the way of the gameplay.

ram

demo was okay - but nothing more. didnt have problems with the heli-section, but overall the whole experiance was to stuffed with scripting and hand holding. also, i dindt like the call of duty approach. ace combat was fresh, bescaue the games were no typical war games.

I only played the first mission and enjoyed most of it.
When more enemies kept showing up it got a bit grindy though
Probably not my kind of game but it wasnt bad

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Veins said:
Kinda wish us PS3 owners had gotten to play AC6 :<
I want my HD Ace Combat unmolested.
DXPett1 said:
Trust me, you didn't miss much. Probably the worst AC game I have played
Solid warrior said:
Why should they trust you? that's your opinion only. AC6 is an excellent sequel and all AC fans should play it.

While I agree it is always best to try something yourself, I agree with DXPett1, AC6 ended up being a disappointment for me and was probably the least fun of the AC games in recent memory.

I picked up a 360 however long ago for AC6 and a few other games, and in the end AC6 was probably the only one that wasn't really worth it.
Which is sad really because Air Combat was one of the first games I had for my Playstation and own all the console releases since, so I in no way want a bad AC game.

Enron

Banned
DXPett1 said:
Trust me, you didn't miss much. Probably the worst AC game I have played

No. It was a fun game, IF YOU SKIP ALL THE STORY BITS. The story part makes you want to vomit its so shitty.

razorman

Tried both the PS3 and 360 demo's and can't help but feel the graphics look WORSE than Ace Combat 6 (which for a 2007 game still looks fantastic today). Is this sub-HD?

LQX

razorman said:
Tried both the PS3 and 360 demo's and can't help but feel the graphics look WORSE than Ace Combat 6 (which for a 2007 game still looks fantastic today). Is this sub-HD?
Yeah this looks a lot gritter. I'm guessing its due to the fact the had to change the engine for the chopper sections which takes place close to the ground so the quality had to drop to accommodate this. The jets definitely look cleaner and less blurry in AC6. And maybe its just that map but there was a lot more action with missile streaks all over the place in AC6.

Matts Legacy said:
Great stuff. Music in this series never fails me.

Nothing will be out AC4 Mission 8 Shattered Skies for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtlniZnl84Y

That was the moment i felt like a top gun pilot!

After playing the demo I like it. It is going for that western feel like im in a movie status with the Dog fights. The helicopter can stay down lol

^ fucking this, Mission 8 all, day, and Congo Line

Kinyou

Is it just me or has the game worse FPS on the PS3 than on the 360? Especially during a barrel roll with the chopper.

Long time fan of the Ace Combat series and I loved the hell out of this demo.

My problem with the series, and the reason I was losing interest with each passing iteration, was that as fun as the dog-fights were, they was generally a fair distance between you and the target.

So, save some of the awesome battles against the yellows in... AC4 I think, I never felt like I was shooting planes, just targeting squares representing them.

Dog-fight mode is a cinematic, fun way of bringing the fun of those dog-fights up close and personal. You still have to maneuver into position to engage it, and you CAN ignore it if you want, but once you hit it, then you really feel like you're in a life or death dance with that target plane.

I can understand why purists will hate it. But as somebody that really felt like the franchise needed to evolve and really bring the dog-fights up-close and personal, I'm thrilled.

Will buy.

Top Bottom