• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon |OT| We Will Fight The Fight Since You Won't

LegoDad

The first Ace Combat: Assault Horizon review can be found in the latest issue of Games Master and it comes with a very pleasing score.

The Namco Bandai flight simulator gets 87 percent from Games Master, with the mag praising the title for "combining gritty realism with an accessible arcade feel".

It says that Ace Combat has been given "a Modern Warfare makeover - although not, happily, at the expense of the series' own personality.

"Ace Combat has always had just the right amount of realism and plane-spotters' attention to detail, yet remained loose enough to provide arcade thrills," GM continues. "And so it is with Assault Horizon."

Need more reviews...

Wario64 said:
lol, that vocal song from the Ace Combat Assault Horizon trailer is on the OST youtu.be/PVx1kq0B38U GOTTA STAY FLY, GOTTA STAY STRONG

*first 30 seconds*

Oh, this is quite good

*some shit music from a Linking Park shitty clone appears*

WHAT?

Edit: ugh, that last minute is....wow...., is there an instrumental version?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
That Youtube guy has the rest of the soundtrack uploaded btw

Last minute is too awesome. By awesome I mean hilariously bad.

Gibbo

Wario64 said:
That Youtube guy has the rest of the soundtrack uploaded btw

Last minute is too awesome. By awesome I mean hilariously bad.

Had a listen to all the tracks. It's on par with AC6th's OST. ie Equally disappointing :(

Pity though- AC5, AC4, AC Zero had some really strong themes. And I had high hopes for AC6 and AC AH

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Relaxed Muscle said:
I refuse to believe Keiki Kobayashi is behind this....is fucking horrendous.
Some of the other tracks seem decent enough. The OST kind of has a Middle Eastern tinge to it.

ACESmkII

I'm still down...

I have faith in you Project Aces!

All DLC Aircraft will be mine.
I'm part of the problem ; p

Pooya

review here:
http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/877863-ace-combat-assault-horizon-review-sky-bandits

7/10

some parts;

All of which leaves us with unusually mixed feelings at the end of the day. A lot of effort has clearly gone into the game and the graphics are generally good, with plenty of the expected fetishising of the aircraft themselves. But on normal difficulty the game’s barely five hours long, although mastering it with the more realistic controls is an interesting challenge.

The game’s long term worth then is probably going to be measured by its multiplayer, which is impressively fully-featured. Not only is there online co-op for individual story missions but the Capital Conquest competitive mode is a great deal of fun. You split into two teams of eight and take turns defending or attacking an actual real world capital. All the different types of aircraft can compete at once and the game has a Call Of Duty style system of unlockable perks.

In Short: A mess of compromises and sops to more casual gamers and yet somehow the game still manages to offer a fun and accessible facsimile of real air combat.

Pros: DRM and the other more arcade style elements work well and the realistic control options still require a lot of skill. Apache missions are great and online shows great promise.

Cons: Air-to-air combat still lacks variety, even with the new mechanics. Too few Apache missions and too many bombing ones. Dopey story with one-dimensional characters.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So it really is 5-6 hours long, how disappointing.

I'm not a big MP player so that being "full featured" means nothing to me, and having a short SP which is what I play the AC games for makes me not really that excited, I'm sure it will be a fine game but it already felt off from the older ones for me.

Figure I'll take it off my games to get for Christmas, not going to waste mine or anyone else's money on it when I can get something that I will find more enjoyable and will get more out of.
Now where's my AC HD Collection, that would be worth buying.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am still picking it up. Replay value seems to be similar to past games, plus some aspects of the multiplayer sound awesome.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
PS3 Gaffers: If any if you are interested in playing the MP of this together, send me a PM. I am getting a little bit of a Chromehounds vibe from this game.

Finaika

Pros: DRM and the other more arcade style elements work well and the realistic control options still require a lot of skill. Apache missions are great and online shows great promise.

Cons: Air-to-air combat still lacks variety, even with the new mechanics. Too few Apache missions and too many bombing ones. Dopey story with one-dimensional characters.
It says here that the Apache missions are awesome, while NeoGAF says its awful.

Who should I believe?

glaurung

Finaika said:
It says here that the Apache missions are awesome, while NeoGAF says its awful.

Who should I believe?
Trust in yourself.

The heli mission in the demo created a jarring effect since it is the first time the game has done anything like it. People who did not like that won't like that during the very first mission in the game, you are forced to take on the role of a heli side-gunner. Which is again - very different from the flying that Ace Combat fans have come to know.

My take: it is different from the jet flying since you need to plan your approach a bit more carefully. It is still action-heavy, you are doing crazy shit all the time. I say it works, but it will take time for people to get used to it.

Hey guys, who is doing the OT for Assault Horizon?

glaurung said:
Trust in yourself.

The heli mission in the demo created a jarring effect since it is the first time the game has done anything like it. People who did not like that won't like that during the very first mission in the game, you are forced to take on the role of a heli side-gunner. Which is again - very different from the flying that Ace Combat fans have come to know.

My take: it is different from the jet flying since you need to plan your approach a bit more carefully. It is still action-heavy, you are doing crazy shit all the time. I say it works, but it will take time for people to get used to it.

Hey guys, who is doing the OT for Assault Horizon?
I asked the same question on the last page. I take it nobody is.

glaurung

Dark Octave said:
I asked the same question on the last page. I take it nobody is.
Lazy sods.

Though I guess that shows how little faith GAF has in this game, all in all.

I'd volunteer to do the thread, but I do not have proper graphics software over here nor the time to burn into it. Plus it's pointless to make an OT that will not go past one page.

Gibbo

glaurung said:
Lazy sods.

Though I guess that shows how little faith GAF has in this game, all in all.

I'd volunteer to do the thread, but I do not have proper graphics software over here nor the time to burn into it. Plus it's pointless to make an OT that will not go past one page.

I'm a huge AC fan and had wanted to do the OT; but my photoshop skills are quite pathetic : (

ACESmkII

Sad times...

I guess this thread is going to be the OT then. Maybe a mod can rename it.

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon |OT|Deal With It

Don´t care about the length, some of the older games in the series was to long. But Call of Duty comparisons are not a good thing. I want something with the same feeling as Ace Combat 4, with the setting, story and music.

ctrayne

Looking forward to this, but I'm not expecting the world, just a cool game. I can always go back and play AC5 and Zero if I need some "real" Ace Combat.

LQX

I will make an OT(my first). Wont be super elegant but will serve for those of us getting it. Might also just spruce this one up and PM mod to change the title.

RedSwirl

kx11 said:

Yeah I noticed my local Kmart broke the street date, but the demo made this a clear rental for me.

Actually I went and picked up Ace Combat 6 yesterday since I still hadn't played that yet. People, what am I in for compared to AC5 and Zero? I've already seen how horrible the voice acting and writing are. At least Assault Horizon improved in that area.

ctrayne

RedSwirl said:
Actually I went and picked up Ace Combat 6 yesterday since I still hadn't played that yet. People, what am I in for compared to AC5 and Zero? I've already seen how horrible the voice acting and writing are. At least Assault Horizon improved in that area.
Yes, I think AH will actually be a huge improvement in narrative over AC6. 6 has the right idea, but the VA is terrible, the writing sucks and the cutscenes are ugly and inelegant compared to AC5's cinematics and AC0's interviews. The music is also a step down.

AC6 is a fun game though, nothing wrong with the core gameplay besides the 30 FPS cap. Enjoy!

RedSwirl

ctrayne said:
Yes, I think AH will actually be a huge improvement in narrative over AC6. 6 has the right idea, but the VA is terrible, the writing sucks and the cutscenes are ugly and inelegant compared to AC5's cinematics and AC0's interviews. The music is also a step down.

AC6 is a fun game though, nothing wrong with the core gameplay besides the 30 FPS cap. Enjoy!

I think it's strange that AC never settled on a "main" way to do its narrative. I still haven't played AC4 (still worth it?) but I presume that game used anime cut scenes? AC5 used CG and AC0 did the live action interviews. If nothing else I at least appreciate that AC6 finally decided to introduce real time cut scenes.

ctrayne

RedSwirl said:
I think it's strange that AC never settled on a "main" way to do its narrative. I still haven't played AC4 (still worth it?) but I presume that game used anime cut scenes? AC5 used CG and AC0 did the live action interviews. If nothing else I at least appreciate that AC6 finally decided to introduce real time cut scenes.
I thought it was neat that each game has it's own style. I believe AC4 doesn't use "anime" cutscenes (that was AC3) but something more akin to an animated storyboard/motion graphics.

AC6 doesn't benefit from real-time cutscenes, though. They're a little janky compared to AC5, which I thought had the best visual direction of the series so far. Assault Horizon's cinematics look to be a step up from AC6, and it probably will have better dialogue too, but that's not hard to pull off. :)

ctrayne

ACESmkII said:
That Japanese CE is dope and if there wasn't so many games coming out this quarter I'd propably pick it up.
It is cool, and I'd love to nab it, but I can't find it on any of the usual import sites.

glaurung

ctrayne said:
It is cool, and I'd love to nab it, but I can't find it on any of the usual import sites.
Yeah, I already scoured the usual import stores too.

Then again, I would have to pay an arm and a leg for customs as well. Plus they'd think it was a bomb since it comes in a tin case.

I also recommend the following for the thread title:

Ace Combat Assault Horizon |OT| Beggars Can't Be Choosers

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
ctrayne said:
AC6 doesn't benefit from real-time cutscenes, though. They're a little janky compared to AC5, which I thought had the best visual direction of the series so far. Assault Horizon's cinematics look to be a step up from AC6, and it probably will have better dialogue too, but that's not hard to pull off. :)
Speaking oh which, is Assault Horizon officially Ace Combat 6 or is this the start of a spin off series of some sort until they release a AC6? If we ge one depending in how this does?

glaurung

CorrisD said:
Speaking oh which, is Assault Horizon officially Ace Combat 6 or is this the start of a spin off series of some sort until they release a AC6? If we ge one depending in how this does?
If anything, then Assault Horizon is equal to Ace Combat 7.

The developers have stated that this is a sort of retooling for the brand. They have the new visceral (eugh, I hate that word now) arcade flying, steel and oil and carnage. Plus helis, flying tanks and gunner missions. None of which where there before. And all of this is happening in the real world, with real military factions. Aside from the terrorists.

If this formula fails, who knows what they will fall back to.

ctrayne

CorrisD said:
Do you mean AC7? AC6 has been out for years.

Edit: For anyone missing Strangereal, it looks like Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy keeps in line with the previous games in setting and gameplay. Kind of cool, I'll have to keep my eye on it. Don't own a 3DS though.

LQX

Thanks to Nirolak this is now the OT. Didn't think a new thread would get many more posts so might as well go off this. Will try to spruce it up but I am a creativefail so maybe not.

ctrayne

LQX said:
Thanks to Nirolak this is now the OT. Didn't think a new thread would get many more posts so might as well go off this. Will try to spruce it up but I am a creativefail so maybe not.
Here's a banner image I whipped up quickly, if you want to use it:
YKd7Q.jpg

Top Bottom