• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon |OT| We Will Fight The Fight Since You Won't

Gibbo

ctrayne said:
I thought it was neat that each game has it's own style. I believe AC4 doesn't use "anime" cutscenes (that was AC3) but something more akin to an animated storyboard/motion graphics.

AC6 doesn't benefit from real-time cutscenes, though. They're a little janky compared to AC5, which I thought had the best visual direction of the series so far. Assault Horizon's cinematics look to be a step up from AC6, and it probably will have better dialogue too, but that's not hard to pull off. :)

Yup agreed. I thought AC5's story and its way of telling it was head and shoulders above the rest

ACESmkII

DenogginizerOS said:
Any PS3 day one buyers interested in putting together a pilot (PSN) list together for multiplayer?
I'm all for this.

I'm picking up my pre-order for PS3 tomorrow morning.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
kx11 said:
God, the one sentence that could make me avoid like the plague.

Yeah, I played the demo a lot and I'm just not feeling this at all. Hype levels at zero. None. And that makes me sad. I don't want to play Call of Combat: QTE Rail Shooter. I wanna fly around in an ADF-01 Falken and shoot down flying battleships.

I really wanted to like this, but I just can't. I'll replay ACZ instead. :(

LQX

ctrayne said:
Here's a banner image I whipped up quickly, if you want to use it:
YKd7Q.jpg
Thanks ctrayne as I was not going to get that creative. Resized it a bit.

My first and last OT. As haphazard as it looks it took a damn lot of work even with copying and pasting from other sources so I now really have an appreciation for the work put into some of these crazy elaborate ones. I'm good with just some bold text

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
3/5

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/review/a344859/ace-combat-assault-horizon-xbox-360.html
In closing, there is something reminiscent of the old Desert Strike and Jungle Strike games about Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, albeit viewed through the modern Call of Duty lens. The game is a little fidgety and repetitive at times, while the game is much more orientated towards arcade than rich flight simulator. Yet, it's also true that most aspects of the game are fun to play. Whether it's engaging in dogfights in state of the art fighter jets, or picking off bad guys from an AC-130, the game always seems to make aerial combat an accessible experience. Just like a trashy novel, Assault Horizon is a decent page turner just as long you try not to think too hard.

Finaika

glaurung said:
Edit: no idea when the Western review embargo is up, but Famitsu - Ace Combat: Assault Horizon (PS3/Xbox 360, Bandai Namco): 10 / 9 / 9 / 9 - (37/40)
Holy shit! Isn't that like, very high?

Icelight

I'm so torn on this game.

I wish the demo had a better representation of the jet missions...I really didn't like that it forced you into close-range assault mode (I'm assuming that's because it was a tutorial stage or whatever).

I love Ace Combat so much but this one...I dunno...

glaurung

Dark Octave said:
I hope this makes it in the game. (PAK-FA)

NAJN8JTZ6qomgjc9WThLztQBo1_500.jpg

This has got to be the most amazing looking fighter jet ever.
Those are some real old Western renders.

This is how the plane looks in real life:
wallpaper-590493.jpg

wallpaper-703850.jpg

This is how it looks in the game:
29248orig.jpg

29246orig.jpg

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I am... disappointed that we get to see the persona of the ace we're playing as. That, and we're playing as different characters.

When compared to playing enigmas like Mobious 1, Blaze, or Demon Lord, it... totally stomps the feeling of "I'm awesome" the Ace Combat games usually invoke for its players.

Well, according to my personal opinion anyway.

DenogginizerOS

Solid warrior said:
Eurogamer 8/10. Link.
Nice review. I am actually excited for multiplayer.
Eurogamer said:
Long-term fans of the series may argue that it has lost something too in the concerted attempt to mimic Western designs and style. But the losses are skin deep, certainly when compared to the most recent releases in the series. Under the hood, Namco's designers have upgraded the series' engine and mechanics in effective and interesting ways, making this the strongest Ace Combat in a decade.

glaurung

BladeRunner12 said:
Strategy Informer has just given it 7.5/10.
Thanks for the link. I quickly read that review and my jaw dropped to the floor when I reached this line:
With Assault Horizon’s addition of regenerating health you could argue that Namco have deemphasised skill and realism a tad too much.
Regenerating health? Are you fucking kidding me? I did not notice this in the demo since the enemies rarely hit me, but seriously? This is making me very grumpy.

Question to those that have the game: do you at least get to buy new planes or does it force you to fly certain missions using certain pre-defined craft?

glaurung

Sorry to double post, but here's another review from Japan:

Dengeki PS - Ace Combat: Assault Horizon (PS3/Xbox 360, Bandai Namco): 85 / 80 / 95 / 85

Kinda sad I can't join the party earlier than March but at the same time I'm still tedious about the game so I'll get it for a good price and will regret nothing

DenogginizerOS

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1284/pg1/ace-combat-assault-horizon-xbox-360.html
So, we have spent the majority of this year, like most gamers, waiting on the two big war based games hitting the shelves. As it turns out one of the most impressive war games of 2011 isn't Battlefield 3 or Modern Warfare 3... it is Ace Combat: Assault Horizon. A real must buy.

Summary
This is how all arcade flight based games should be. Fantastic visuals, a great score, excellent attention to detail and an engaging plot. All held together by some epic, action packed gameplay of which the dogfight mode is outstanding. 93%

DenogginizerOS

Solid warrior said:
Joystiq 4.5/5. Link.
I think this part of the review is fitting for this game's launch:
joystiq said:
I was just like you, dear reader. I barely realized the thing existed until my lousy brother/reviews editor conned me into playing it. Heck, I'm not even a huge fan of flight games, generally speaking. I make these revelations in the hopes that you'll believe me when I say this next bit.

You have to play this game.

RedSwirl said:
I think it's strange that AC never settled on a "main" way to do its narrative. I still haven't played AC4 (still worth it?) but I presume that game used anime cut scenes? AC5 used CG and AC0 did the live action interviews. If nothing else I at least appreciate that AC6 finally decided to introduce real time cut scenes.

Fuck yes.

AC4 did its story far, far better than 5 or 0 did: static anime images with sound and VO. And believe it or not, that's an improvement.

DenogginizerOS

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I want to buy this game, but 5-6 hours is too short. Hopefully this game will drop on Black Friday.
Some have said 8 hours. Also, there is a free play mode that lets you replay missions for a higher score. Don't overlook the multiplayer either.

I understand your wanting to wait though. Too many games to buy recently at full price.

glaurung said:
Those are some real old Western renders.

This is how the plane looks in real life:
wallpaper-590493.jpg

wallpaper-703850.jpg

This is how it looks in the game:
29248orig.jpg

29246orig.jpg
Yeah looking up the Pak I saw these and thought it was an older model, like an F-18 to an F-22/35. Dissapointing, but the design they went with is still great looking.

Sethos

Banned
I'm excited for the game but I'm more excited about getting my grubby paws on the soundtrack with mah' Limited Edition. The track from the trailers is HNNNNGG and the rest of the score sounds spectacular from what I've heard.

God I hope they added some of the famous "cheesy" Ace Combat moments with epic music, heroic speeches and that hero feeling.

Atolm

I'm sorry but despite all the good press I'm not buying this. The demo sucked balls. I'll wait for bomba price. I love the series but I can wait.

Top Bottom