• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat Infinity |OT| You are cleared to engage.

mcz117chief

Downloaded this on a whim, having never played Ace Combat before. I figured I'd have a few opportunities to try the game and if I liked it, great, I can keep on playing; if I didn't like it, no harm done.

It's actually pretty fun! :D I haven't spent any money (I'm a filthy poor), but I'm open to the idea... somewhat.

if you are at all able, then atleast get the unlimited campaign pass for 20$

have to see if helicopters are any fun to play.

pure horror. Very long and dull.

Aerocrane

Downloaded this on a whim, having never played Ace Combat before. I figured I'd have a few opportunities to try the game and if I liked it, great, I can keep on playing; if I didn't like it, no harm done.

It's actually pretty fun! :D I haven't spent any money (I'm a filthy poor), but I'm open to the idea... somewhat.

Add your PSN ID to the list if you haven't already. Play with some cool people from GAF!

Skwerl

Probably japs or total no-lifers. You need something like 500 sorties to get that far.

they spammed forced sortie pretty often on red aigaion or whatnot.
What I am the most curious about however, is how is that game doing, commercially at the moment. There are really quite a few whale players out there...

mcz117chief

they spammed forced sortie pretty often on red aigaion or whatnot.
What I am the most curious about however, is how is that game doing, commercially at the moment. There are really quite a few whale players out there...

Whalers have always been big in Scamco games. I have recently read an article about some mobile game that is basically funded by a dozen whalers. Also, as far as I know, they never actually announced their sales, or am I wrong ?

One guy on my team just did 913 points....

913 motherfucking points....

I'm gonna start adding you guys. lol

I'm not that good, but damn, some randoms are just bad...

mcz117chief

But After Burner Climax is sooo good though! Yeah, there have been some really terrible players. Maybe they will learn or just drop the game when they still suck and run out of fuel.

After Burner Climax is THE best afterburner and I played almost all version.

Lads, has anyone played Moby Dick lvl. III ? I am really looking forward to playing it

But After Burner Climax is sooo good though! Yeah, there have been some really terrible players. Maybe they will learn or just drop the game when they still suck and run out of fuel.

It is, but if some new players are expecting a similar gameplay in ACI, they're gonna fail hard, unless they take some time to adjust.

After Burner Climax is THE best afterburner and I played almost all version.

Lads, has anyone played Moby Dick lvl. III ? I am really looking forward to playing it

Dude, I'm still Moby Dick 1 lol

Meneses

Just played my first few Co-op missions, haven't had so much fun in a long time. I had bought the campaign pack a few days ago and played through it.

However, I feel like i'm holding my team back a bit, since i've been consistently one of bottom 2 or 3 scorers (except for one mission where I was the top 4th).

My teams won 3 and lost 2 matches so far.

I'm having a lot of fun, but at the same time i'm kinda afraid of messing up better players' sorties (the fuel system doesn't help, I feel like I could be wasting someone's money.)

I'm still using the F-4E, is it worth it to improve it, or should I move on to a new aircraft?

mcz117chief

Just played my first few Co-op missions, haven't had so much fun in a long time. I had bought the campaign pack a few days ago and played through it.

However, I feel like i'm holding my team back a bit, since i've been consistently one of bottom 2 or 3 scorers (except for one mission where I was the top 4th).

I'm having a lot of fun, but at the same time i'm kinda afraid of messing up better players' sorties (the fuel system doesn't help, I feel like I could be wasting someone's money.)

I'm still using the F-4E, is it worth it to improve it, or should I move on to a new aircraft?

Ask people here how well I do and what plane I use :D

I won't make you wait, I often get MVP with F-4e, it is an excellent plane and levels up quick and cheap. My lvl 5 F-4e is better than my lvl 2 F-18

Meneses

I hope you don't mean it sarcastically, I really didn't give you much info.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I will be happy to help.

Also, mandatory watch for all fans of Ace Combat. Which is your favourite Ace Combat intro ?

No, definitely not, I really appreciate it. I just improved the F4-E to level 2, gonna try it out next.

My favorite intro is actually the one from AC4, I think it's short and simple and kinda peaceful, in contrast with what happens in the missions.

However, Zero's intro... that music.

Aerocrane

I had like 2900 in my first online co-op today. *hides in shame*

You'll get better when you know how much damage different targets take, ground targets are far easier to kill than air targets so you might have better luck going for those.

Fuck the first helicopter mission in Assault Horizon, can't complete it on Normal, keep getting shot down when the Hinds show up.

Skwerl

you need to provide us more info, what target do you typically go after, do you keep trying to take down one individual target until its dead?

edit: man, our team with an F-2, 2 F-14s and Morgan took down a team with a Flanker, 2 F-15s and F-14??? Just to show you guys the importance of team composition balance.

mcz117chief

You'll get better when you know how much damage different targets take, ground targets are far easier to kill than air targets so you might have better luck going for those.

I sanction this

Fuck the first helicopter mission in Assault Horizon, can't complete it on Normal, keep getting shot down when the Hinds show up.

Fuck dogeyes and the helicopter missions (there are 2 if I remember correctly, with the second one being really tough)

Meneses

you need to provide us more info, what target do you typically go after, do you keep trying to take down one individual target until its dead?

I usually go to the nearest target I find (even if it's just a yellow one) so I can rack some points, because higher level players are much more efficient at taking out higher value targets.

I do tend to stick with one dogfight until the plane goes down, I think I need to start making a pass and then switching to another target regardless of the outcome, to save some time.

mcz117chief

I usually go to the nearest target I find (even if it's just a yellow one) so I can rack some points, because higher level players are much more efficient at taking out higher value targets.

I do tend to stick with one dogfight until the plane goes down, I think I need to start making a pass and then switching to another target regardless of the outcome, to save some time.

Unless you know how to dogfight and your plane is fast, don't really try to chase down red planes (yellow planes, on the other hand, are free points as much as ground targets). At first, focus on ground targets and always find a good attack corridor so you can attack a lot of them at once (1 missile per target + guns = 3 targets can be engaged at the same time + special weapons). Once you get better at dogfighting and you get a fast plane try to engage orange and red planes for a lot of points.

Aerocrane

You definitely should stop chasing a single plane, don't be afraid to swap targets frequently. Dogfighting is just a waste of time, try going for a mix of ground and air targets if you play a multirole fighter.

mcz117chief

You definitely should stop chasing a single plane, don't be afraid to swap targets frequently. Dogfighting is just a waste of time, try going for a mix of ground and air targets if you play a multirole fighter.

Chasing down planes is not a bad tactic if you have good skills and a fast plane to match their speed. They do provide the most points (over 2k for red planes).

Bajan32

Loving this game. Just submitted to google doc. Im trying my damnest not to buy fuel. Pretty decent player. Would love to play with u guys when you are on.

Aerocrane

Chasing down planes is not a bad tactic if you have good skills and a fast plane to match their speed. They do provide the most points (over 2k for red planes).

True, as you've proven many times. I just think that it's better to have a mix of dogfighting and bombing runs against ground targets because the early planes aren't necessarily fast enough until a few levels in.

mcz117chief

True, as you've proven many times. I just think that it's better to have a mix of dogfighting and bombing runs against ground targets because the early planes aren't necessarily fast enough until a few levels in.

Agreed, as I said, skill and fast aircraft are both necessary for effective dogfighting. I am just trying to say that he should not be afraid to engage air targets too, because that is what most people do and when emergency mission starts and they are swarmed with red planes then a lot of players will either ignore them or will not know how to engage them, which of course leads to failure.

Meneses

Would an upgraded F4-E allow for decent dogfighting, or should I start thinking about getting an actual Fighter?

mcz117chief

Would an upgraded F4-E allow for decent dogfighting, or should I start thinking about getting an actual Fighter?

Do you remember what I said ? ;)

Yes, as I said I play with F-4E phantom and plow through the skies blowing up everything, but that is also thanks to my considerable skill

Loving this game. Just submitted to google doc. Im trying my damnest not to buy fuel. Pretty decent player. Would love to play with u guys when you are on.

forgive me, I made a mistake, I thought you are Meneses, but I will add you too :)

Skwerl

think upgrading will eventually hit a diminishing margin of return. when you hit that, get a later tier fighter. But upgrading for now seems like a good idea.
What other fighters do you have access to in term of purchase?

Meneses

Do you remember what I said ? ;)

Yes, as I said I play with F-4E phantom and plow through the skies blowing up everything, but that is also thanks to my considerable skill

Thank the Lord for another European player. YES, I will add you and play with you *massive explosions* !!!!! ANYTIME !!!!! *massive explosions*

I just imagined you meant destroying everything in sight and not specifically dogfighting :p

I think i'll keep upgrading it for now, maybe i'll feel like trying a new plane at some point, but i'm liking the F-4E.

I'm in Europe too (Spain at the moment, though i'm from Portugal).

mcz117chief

I just imagined you meant destroying everything in sight and not specifically dogfighting :p

I think i'll keep upgrading it for now, maybe i'll feel like trying a new plane at some point, but i'm liking the F-4E.

I'm in Europe too (Spain at the moment, though i'm from Portugal).

Oh hell, it was you not Bajan, my eyes must have slipped *retard alert*. I will add you asap so we can play tommorow, ok ?

Meneses

think upgrading will eventually hit a diminishing margin of return. when you hit that, get a later tier fighter. But upgrading for now seems like a good idea.
What other fighters do you have access to in term of purchase?

So far I can only buy the F-16C and the MiG-21bis, the rest are locked. (F-14 might become available for research if I buy the F-16, if that's how it works.)

mcz117chief

So far I can only buy the F-16C and the MiG-21bis, the rest are locked. (F-14 might become available for research if I buy the F-16, if that's how it works.)

f-14 is super fast so it is awesome for dogfighting, but not much else :)

Also, I am just playing Ace Combat 0 and shot down this guy flying super high, have you ever seen THIS aircraft ? I was totally dumbstruck when I was reviewing this ace's records.

Skwerl

a part of me is tempted to tell you to ignore the f-14 and go straight to mig-21--->mig-29--> flanker route as far as air superiority goes. never tried that before, I wonder how it'd go.

mcz117chief

a part of me is tempted to tell you to ignore the f-14 and go straight to mig-21--->mig-29--> flanker route as far as air superiority goes. never tried that before, I wonder how it'd go.

Nah, take the road downtown towards Strike Eagle so you can roleplay Galm team :)

I know they fly F-15Cs ;) I would never make such a mistake

Meneses

f-14 is super fast so it is awesome for dogfighting, but not much else :)

Also, I am just playing Ace Combat 0 and shot down this guy flying super high, have you ever seen THIS aircraft ? I was totally dumbstruck when I was reviewing this ace's records.

I think I remember getting one or two "high-flyers" in Zero, not sure if that was one of them, since it's been a couple years since i've been able to play it.

Man, now I wish I had my PS2 with me, since I started playing Infinity i've been wanting to play through 4, 5 and Zero again.

mcz117chief

GALM TEAM FLIES F-15C. Turn in your nerd card :(

I know they do, but Strike Eagle is better :)

edit: I was afraid one of you nerds would figure me out XD

I think I remember getting one or two "high-flyers" in Zero, not sure if that was one of them, since it's been a couple years since i've been able to play it.

It was on the 1st mission on Ace dificulty, soldier style

Meneses

I could keep upgrading the F-4E and try the MiG route, from what I see there's also a couple gear upgrades in that path.

So many planes, so few credits :p

Top Bottom