• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

And you opened it!
haha, i'm swooshing it around as we speak =)

some amazing new just unfolding courtesy of Tag Hobby:
The Soul Tamashii Showroom updated the exhibits on February 16, this time for the theme METAL BUILD series. Everyone will be happy to see 00 Gundam Seven Sword

Holy Moly! ActionGAF, for those who were waiting for the right time, there's no better time to take the plunge on a Metal Build. the very same Seven Sword that sky rocketed to 700+, it took Bandai 6 years to finally announce a reprint. it's so crazy bc we were just talking about this the other day.... who would've known bandai would announce a reprint today of the very same piece!!! just insane.

pics from the event:
Tamashii Showroom theme METAL BUILD series
EVqcyIV.jpg

Metal Build 00 Gundam Seven Sword
also next month's release of
Metal Build Gundam F91
19000yen

Weiss

Banned
I bought the Designer Mega Man X and I'm so afraid to break it in any way that I just have it standing ramrod still on my shelf. I haven't even put the arm cannon on.

I would buy more Gundams if they were all prebuilt. I'm too lazy.
i was confused myself until someone enlightened me. i guess the name this line is under is confusing and throwing people off =) these are high end toy action figures.

edit:
Hm I might have to get that one then. Feel like I should own a Gundam at some point.
definitely. if you're into Evangelion figures, you'll probably like metal builds.

if you decide to change your mind it's insanely easy to sell bc of the high demand and massive low print. i'm hoping this will be a web exclusive, if past history serves correct, they are easier to order. (for web exclusive metal builds, bandai will give a date deadline to order will limit it 2 per domestic address but won't close until the deadline passes.) if it's just general release (to retailers), scalpers are going to try and take em all, like every nice Metal Build. and it'll be insanely hard to get at non scalper prices.
i'll keep you guys updated here when i find out more.

haha, i'm swooshing it around as we speak =)

some amazing new just unfolding courtesy of Tag Hobby:

Holy Moly! ActionGAF, for those who were waiting for the right time, there's no better time to take the plunge on a Metal Build. the very same Seven Sword that sky rocketed to 700+, it took Bandai 6 years to finally announce a reprint. it's so crazy bc we were just talking about this the other day.... who would've known bandai would announce a reprint today of the very same piece!!! just insane.

I tend to produce miracles ; p The Metal Build Gundam F91 looks pretty slick,might have to get ONE just one to see how neat they are in person...

I would buy more Gundams if they were all prebuilt. I'm too lazy.

Actually, that would make them more appealing to me as well. I like to buy things and be able to display them immediately. And the idea of having to paint things myself sort of terrifies me.

ohkay

Any idea when these go on sale?

- J - D -

Gundams are cool I've always wanted to build one. If I start buying these metal pre-built ones I might never build my own gundam model kit.

Anyone got the robocop hot toys figure? Any pics and general impressions?

Tempted to pick it up...
It's a great figure. The battle damage version with Alex Murphy is also a great set.

The only thing I would nitpick is the paintjob. It's too silver and there's been some great repaints but if you don't mind the stock paint app then you're all good.

First photo is the figure in natural light and the rest I shot under a cooler temperature lighting.

LiK

Gundam is one of those things where it feels weird for me to just buy a figure, I don't know why.

i have a bunch of them just sitting in their boxes. when i was in HK, i bought a crapload of the SD Gundams but never built them. i should just sell them.

i have a bunch of them just sitting in their boxes. when i was in HK, i bought a crapload of the SD Gundams but never built them. i should just sell them.

LiK secretly maybe has the biggest collection of anyone here but no one knows because it's all boxed up and for sale.

NEO0MJ

I try to avoid buying more any kits until I finish what I bought before. Only exception was for the P-Bandai Exclusive Altron and Heavy Arms Custom.

SeanC

Love the R2 and 3PO. Been waiting on those for a while and they really nailed it as I expected.

Can't wait for Han this month from my Pre-Order. Star Wars Figuarts are probably the main line I collect at this point. They need to do a Leia badly, though. Getting impatient and would love a shelf of New Hope figures.

I tend to produce miracles ; p The Metal Build Gundam F91 looks pretty slick,might have to get ONE just one to see how neat they are in person...
i know right? freakin crazy... that was a miracle.
if you don't want much risk as your first metal build, Seven Sword was already released with plenty of reviews so that may be safer to get that since F91 is a new mold =)
Actually, that would make them more appealing to me as well. I like to buy things and be able to display them immediately. And the idea of having to paint things myself sort of terrifies me.
try one =)
Any idea when these go on sale?
no info yet, most likely after F91 releases next month.
Gundams are cool I've always wanted to build one. If I start buying these metal pre-built ones I might never build my own gundam model kit.
yeah gunpla is nice, i do it for fun once in a while on GundamGAF =)
model kits won't have any resale value vs. gundam figures. you may have to sell those model kits 30-50% off to move them.

For those on the fence about these figures,
here's a few 720p60fps clips of all angles from the event:
Seven Sword display
Formula F91 display
METALBUILD special exhibition

LiK

model kits won't have any resale value vs. gundam figures. you may have to sell those model kits 30-50% off to move them.

i'm confused, they are Gundams so what do you mean? i got them dirt cheap anyway so getting a profit from them is easy even if i sell them for $20 each.

NEO0MJ

Some do, but they're usually not from Bandai, unless they're limited. Kotobukiya kits can get expensive. Huckebein Boxer is personal grail of mine, but its price jumped more than 320% from when it came out. Can't justify spending that much on it. What's funny is that I once had a chance to get it when it was only double the price but I refused.

i'm confused, they are Gundams so what do you mean? i got them dirt cheap anyway so getting a profit from them is easy even if i sell them for $20 each.

He's just saying that buying kits to resell later isn't as viable a strategy as pre-built toys. He doesn't know that sometimes people buy stuff to actually play with or build them ;p

LiK

Some do, but they're usually not from Bandai, unless they're limited. Kotobukiya kits can get expensive. Huckebein Boxer is personal grail of mine, but its price jumped more than 320% from when it came out. Can't justify spending that much on it. What's funny is that I once had a chance to get it when it was only double the price but I refused.

He's just saying that buying kits to resell later isn't as viable a strategy as pre-built toys. He doesn't know that sometimes people buy stuff to actually play with or build them ;p

Sometimes the finished product looks so good, you wanna buy it and hope to build it later. but then you see all the pieces and say "fuck it, i got no time for that".

ohkay

Sometimes the finished product looks so good, you wanna buy it and hope to build it later. but then you see all the pieces and say "fuck it, i got no time for that".
That's why I bought the metal build red frame. I've had a MG kit sitting around for years but I've never had time to build it, and now I don't have to

Chinner

Banned
It's a great figure. The battle damage version with Alex Murphy is also a great set.

The only thing I would nitpick is the paintjob. It's too silver and there's been some great repaints but if you don't mind the stock paint app then you're all good.

First photo is the figure in natural light and the rest I shot under a cooler temperature lighting.

Nice shots. Yeah I had noticed thst he doesn't match the paint of the original film, but still pretty good. Think he looks better in the natural shot, I've noticed with some of the reviews on YouTube he just turns into a mirror due to the amount of light being shot at him. Your shots avoid that luckily as they use a black backdrop.

Seen a really cool robocop 2 repaint, looks amazing tbh.
https://youtu.be/xD084df_csA

Yarbskoo

SHF C-3PO / R2-D2 (A NEW HOPE)
July out
C3PO 6,480YEN
R2D2 4,536YEN

sw_shf_item04.jpg

Threepio looks a bit off here, though I acknowledge the reflective surface can make it hard to photograph.

Here's my Bandai model kit for comparison:
XtMxKe1.png

I think Artoo's head may be a little too tall as well, but it looks fine overall.

SeanC

For those not aware Barnes and Noble has a nice selection of figures and statues and they have a 20% off any item on their site this weekend.

I wish they'd hurry up and get the other two Figuarts Ninja Turtles in stock, they haven't gotten much new outside of some Kotobukiya stuff the past few months.

Rootbeer

Banned
Shredder will be mine. Oh, yes. He will. We have never had a GOOD shredder figure in that scale (hell, we've never had a good Shredder in Playmates Classic scale either.)

Super Sons two-pack... just what I was wanting. Instant Buy.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Threepio looks a bit off here, though I acknowledge the reflective surface can make it hard to photograph.

Here's my Bandai model kit for comparison:
XtMxKe1.png

I think Artoo's head may be a little too tall as well, but it looks fine overall.

The model kits seem more accurate. I'm looking for differences and comparing to movie stills and the comparisons favor the kits.
Like all those extra rings around Threepio's neck on the kit are screen-accurate.

Top Bottom