• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Got them for 15 bucks + 10 shipping. How do you recognize if they are bootlegs?

That's the big red I got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291810210804?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

edit: You're right, the alien description says made in China. Dammit I didn't know there were bootlegs...

edit2: From the same seller I bought the Battle Armor Lost Predator. The figure is great but the shoulder canon's articulation was stuck because of the paint. I guess it could be an indication the figure is a bootleg? At least the articulations are stiff and overall the details are incredible, much better than on my Spike Tail predator. This guy is just too loose and unstable. Also his chest armor is color accurate, unlike the original which has a black chest armor.

There's been articulation stuck by paint on several of the Neca figures I've bought sealed at Toys R Us.

Fully painted Breath of the Wild Link from Jakks Pacific's World of Nintendo.
Thats a must buy. I would kill for
Botw-zora-girl.png
600px-Botw-zelda.jpg
to go with BOTW Link, though I guess Zelda might happen.

I really wish OOT Link had a less wonky sculpt.

Got them for 15 bucks + 10 shipping. How do you recognize if they are bootlegs?

That's the big red I got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291810210804?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

edit: You're right, the alien description says made in China. Dammit I didn't know there were bootlegs...

edit2: From the same seller I bought the Battle Armor Lost Predator. The figure is great but the shoulder canon's articulation was stuck because of the paint. I guess it could be an indication the figure is a bootleg? At least the articulations are stiff and overall the details are incredible, much better than on my Spike Tail predator. This guy is just too loose and unstable. Also his chest armor is color accurate, unlike the original which has a black chest armor.

That's almost definitely a bootleg.

Older NECA Predators and Aliens, when they're the real deal, command a premium. There isn't a ton of them MOC out there. They've long since been sold through at the retail level. The fact the seller is located in China and has 10+ MOC Big Red Predators indicates he's selling a bootleg. They should sell for around $50 or more. In fact, I think Big Red commands closer to a $100.

Beyond the red flags of pricing and location, they can be super easy to confuse for the real deal. That's the point of making the bootleg. Packaging can be replicated fairly accurately, so even it's not a dead give away. But sometimes the printing is too dark, or just poorly executed. I know the Predator writing on the card tends to get really sloppy on bootlegs. The figures themselves can suffer from sever QC issues, such as falling apart in the package, super loose joints or just bad paint jobs. Take this bootleg Big Red.

wSdXeXK.jpg

It looks fine by itself, but you can tell there's a bunch of little details that are off. The red is pretty flat. His mask is super sloppy. The wash on his shin guards is really messy. The netting isn't well done. It even looks like the bootlegger didn't utilize the right parts, either. Here's the real Big Red figure for comparison.

d1cQgFn.jpg

I only found out about these bootlegs because I got super suspicious about why there was such a huge price gap one some of these guys. I never in a million years thought that someone would bootleg a $20 action figure, but I guess there's a market out there for everything. That's why I'm glad NECA is doing their Ultimate lines. As they reissue these guys, I hope it helps kill the bootleg demand. No sense in paying $25 for a fake Jungle Hunter when you can easily get the real thing for the same price.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Packaging can be replicated fairly accurately, so even it's not a dead give away. But sometimes the printing is too dark, or just poorly executed. I know the Predator writing on the card tends to get really sloppy on bootlegs. The figures themselves can suffer from sever QC issues, such as falling apart in the package, super loose joints or just bad paint jobs. Take this bootleg Big Red.

Real Neca stuff falls apart in the packaging, too. And I've had both supertight and superloose joints. The left shoulder swivel on my Kratos is so loose that it looks like the arm is falling off sometimes. It was like that straight out of the package.
One of the hip joints on my City Hunter was completely frozen out of the package and I basically had to give the figure intensive physical therapy to get it moving correctly. I have a Rocky figure where the leg joints still don't move at all.

I'm still waiting for this one:

vqH8c2Y.jpg

Can't believe how dumb Medicom is to miss all the hype surrounding everything about the game in the last 2 weeks.

Real Neca stuff falls apart in the packaging, too. And I've had both supertight and superloose joints. The left shoulder swivel on my Kratos is so loose that it looks like the arm is falling off sometimes. It was like that straight out of the package.
One of the hip joints on my City Hunter was completely frozen out of the package and I basically had to give the figure intensive physical therapy to get it moving correctly. I have a Rocky figure where the leg joints still don't move at all.

Fair enough. I guess I've been lucky. Out of all the NECA stuff I've purchased, I've only had one figure with loose joints out of box. Maybe I just haven't purchased enough yet, or maybe their QC has gotten better in the last couple of years.

Jinroh

Thanks for all these informations, from what you described it's clear my big red is not an original, the mask does have sloppy paint and the sword support isn't glued together well.

But outside of these little details both these figures do look great and the articulations are perfect. If I receive spare parts from sellers I won't complain. But it's good to know about the whole situation, I'll be more careful in the future.

Since Neca was brought up a lot this page...how are their Terminator and RoboCop figures? The movie ones, not the video game ones. I was thinking about picking up a few next time I'm at the mall, if they have them. They seem pretty awesome from the video reviews, but with some complaints about quality issues of Neca figures on this page, I figured I'd ask. I also recall reading elsewhere in the past that some people's Christopher Reeve Superman's broke. I've never bought a Neca figure myself.

I know you normally keep up with the line, I kinda dropped off after I got OOT Link and Sheik.
Do we know any of the future waves at the moment?

Breath of the Wild Link, Iggy Koopa, Mario Maker Mario, Luigi (open hands version), and Yellow Yoshi is the only 4-inch future wave I know.

For 2.5-inch, I know we're getting Larry Koopa, Purple Squid, Blue Baby Yoshi, and Doctor Mario.

There's also a Peach's Castle playset with a new Bowser. Not sure what scale, but if it's anything like their other playsets, it'll be at small scale.
And this is the wave that is hitting stores now. Not sure if I'll pick up either Mario, but I'm definitely getting the others.
Target's have also been getting these displays in thanks to the Nintendo Switch hype.

Since Neca was brought up a lot this page...how are their Terminator and RoboCop figures? The movie ones, not the video game ones. I was thinking about picking up a few next time I'm at the mall, if they have them. They seem pretty awesome from the video reviews, but with some complaints about quality issues of Neca figures on this page, I figured I'd ask. I also recall reading elsewhere in the past that some people's Christopher Reeve Superman's broke. I've never bought a Neca figure myself.

Breath of the Wild Link, Iggy Koopa, Mario Maker Mario, Luigi (open hands version), and Yellow Yoshi is the only 4-inch future wave I know.

For 2.5-inch, I know we're getting Larry Koopa, Purple Squid, Blue Baby Yoshi, and Doctor Mario.

There's also a Peach's Castle playset with a new Bowser. Not sure what scale, but if it's anything like their other playsets, it'll be at small scale.

And this is the wave that is hitting stores now. Not sure if I'll pick up either Mario, but I'm definitely getting the others.

Target's have also been getting these displays in thanks to the Nintendo Switch hype.
Thank you.

Zombine

Banned
Just threw a bunch of shade at HLJ. One of my payment requests went to spam and they ended up canceling the order. Not only was that my first ever cancellation with them, but they locked my account and canceled everything else.

I explained to them what happened, but if they opted not to reinstate my account I would just bring the rest of my business to BBT and AmiAmi instead.

Just threw a bunch of shade at HLJ. One of my payment requests went to spam and they ended up canceling the order. Not only was that my first ever cancellation with them, but they locked my account and canceled everything else.

I explained to them what happened, but if they opted not to reinstate my account I would just bring the rest of my business to BBT and AmiAmi instead.

That isn't really their fault.

How much was the order for? It sucks big time, but as a business, think about how many times people cancel stuff on them because they are gaming the market or something. It hurts business. Sadly, the bad apples ruin it for the bunch.

Messi

That isn't really their fault.

How much was the order for? It sucks big time, but as a business, think about how many times people cancel stuff on them because they are gaming the market or something. It hurts business. Sadly, the bad apples ruin it for the bunch.

Zombeen is the worst apple. Just irresponsible

That's crazy. Especially since they only give you three days after a payment request.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member

I mean...you weren't going to pay it anyway because you never pay Zombine pls your penance

You know when you go picking apples and you see all those ones on the ground around the trees with holes in them and stuff? That's me.

LOL
Crunhyroll has Seven Sword pre-order (pay upfront)
free US shipping with SHINJI75

http://www.crunchyroll.com/store/p/...ild-Mobile-Suit-Gundam-00V-Battlefield-Record
EDIT: crunchyroll now OOS

UPDATE: e-knight media has 7S for 219 free shipping (tax Cali)
http://www.eknightmedia.com/ms-gund...action-figure-by-bandai-tamashii-nations.html

LOL

EDIT: crunchyroll now OOS

UPDATE: e-knight media has 7S for 219 free shipping (tax Cali)
http://www.eknightmedia.com/ms-gund...action-figure-by-bandai-tamashii-nations.html

e-knight pre-order now gone.

Haloid, hope you got a chance, it was 0 money down, no charge till ship pre-order.

Good news: I got my HLJ account back.

Bad news: I got my HLJ account back.

haha, congrats, did you get the pre-orders back or those still canned?

e-knight pre-order now gone.

Haloid, hope you got a chance, it was 0 money down, no charge till ship pre-order.

Between Horizon and Zelda I haven't been checking much of anything on GAF since Friday. Appreciate all the links though! I'll stumble across one in time eventually I'm sure.

Guys go buy Switch it's amazing and beautiful and the coolest console tech I've ever owned.

LiK

Between Horizon and Zelda I haven't been checking much of anything on GAF since Friday. Appreciate all the links though! I'll stumble across one in time eventually I'm sure.

Guys go buy Switch it's amazing and beautiful and the coolest console tech I've ever owned.

Switch is the best action figure this year.

Switch is the best action figure this year.
i'm going to return my switch and wait till a revision. but i'll keep that sword stuck in the dirt.

Messi

I love when Zombine is indignant when they cancel his orders like they did something wrong. NAH son. Pay for your shit.

Messi

I've never bounced a payment. Never had issues with a company needing to cancel orders. Maybe y'all are just not good?

Top Bottom