• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

dankir

Fuck Yeah!!!

photo.php

11902279_10153024628662344_2991547641904250833_n.jpg

11781714_10153024629822344_1094125374438018932_n.jpg

11880410_10153024628797344_6945256014555907700_n.jpg

edit: posted at the exact same time lol

NEO0MJ

Speaking of War Machine, I remember when I once had a chance to get this at MSRP but skipped it at a store I once visited.

901597_press06-001.jpg

Now it's over $1400. Such a shame I missed out on it.

LiK

Speaking of War Machine, I remember when I once had a chance to get this at MSRP but skipped it at a store I once visited.

901597_press06-001.jpg

Wow, he's worth that much now? I sold mine sealed for $600 last year. He doesn't actually look that good in person, IMO. Take solace in that.

NEO0MJ

Speaking of War Machine I took some pics tonight to get Iron Man 2 final battle pics :)

Pretty cool, but I won't say I was kinda disappointed when we saw pics of it. I thought it looked better in the movie, but maybe that's because of the dark lighting in that scene and its short appearance.

Wow, he's worth that much now? I sold mine sealed for $600 last year. He doesn't actually look that good in person, IMO. Take solace in that.

At least on e-bay. Though I doubt most set at that price will be sold.
For me I personally prefer the white to the silver on War Machine. Though maybe if it would be better if it wasn't so milk-like.

Hey chaps, new poster on Gaff. I'm not much of a collector of figures, but I'm a sucker for buying figures of franchises I like that have never really had much in the way of merchandise in the past. So here's my mini collection. Apologies for the picture quality, they looked better at the time.

Last one I'm waiting on is the Play Arts Kai MGSV Big Boss Sneaking Suit version, looks incredible and just missed out on the 25th Anniversary Solid Snake that's going for stupid money now. I may struggle to fight the urge to get the Hot Toys Big Boss that's due to be revealed, all depends on money I guess.

Had to turn a blind eye to the Hot Toys Star Wars figures too, that's just a slippery slope just waiting to happen.

Apologies mate, done and done. Was originally going to keep the Figma Samus in the box as I thought it'd be quite collectible, but as time went on I realised that it'd never command mega bucks. So ended up getting the Guyver and Snake ones.

Welp..ordered War Machine. My first and last Hot Toys.

Though just out of curiosity, does anyone have that recent Raiden from Metal Gear Rising...asking for a friend.

Mine shipped today. Should be here Friday, woooo!

901597_press06-001.jpg

Man I'd love to have that one. I'm still kicking myself for passing on Hot Rod when I had the chance.

Hey chaps, new poster on Gaff. I'm not much of a collector of figures, but I'm a sucker for buying figures of franchises I like that have never really had much in the way of merchandise in the past. So here's my mini collection. Apologies for the picture quality, they looked better at the time.

Last one I'm waiting on is the Play Arts Kai MGSV Big Boss Sneaking Suit version, looks incredible and just missed out on the 25th Anniversary Solid Snake that's going for stupid money now. I may struggle to fight the urge to get the Hot Toys Big Boss that's due to be revealed, all depends on money I guess.

Had to turn a blind eye to the Hot Toys Star Wars figures too, that's just a slippery slope just waiting to happen.

Welcome to wallet doom! NIce Figmas there, I have a few of those Figmas as well and like you, I don't consider myself a hardcore collector but I do get figures from a few anime/manga franchises and videogame franchises I like. Please post pics of your BB Sneaking Suit once you get it, I went for the mini revoltech version of the line instead (poors man version)

Fjordson

I may order that Raiden. Need to wait a few weeks though, hopefully he doesn't sell out.

This is how it begins.

I only wanted Avengers Loki. I now have 10 HTs with two more on order. Addictive shizzle.

One of the ten is Starboost. You won't regret it, he's awesome.
Nice. I love the space-suit design and how different it is from the typical red and gold colors of Iron Man.

dankir

I may order that Raiden. Need to wait a few weeks though, hopefully he doesn't sell out.

Nice. I love the space-suit design and how different it is from the typical red and gold colors of Iron Man.

Lol already went from saying you're going to buy just 1 figure and bought 2. And now you're looking at your next purchase.

I started with only wanting Iron Man Mark 1 2 and 3 and that turned into this. Here's my stack as of last night, this is all Hot Toys and Transformers in the bins below. Amiibos and what not on the side.

xEmEDZg.jpg

Fi28ajT.jpg
[/IMG]

curb

Banned
Lol already went from saying you're going to buy just 1 figure and bought 2. And now you're looking at your next purchase.

Here's my stack as of last night, this is all Hot Toys and Transformers in the bins below. Amiibos and what not on the side.

giphy.gif

LiK

I'd be tempted to upgrade, but the original Mark III was my very first Hot Toy. Although depends on how much he is worth online...crazy money could convince me.

not as much as I expected it. still sold him for a good chunk. the Mark II actually sold more for me. they were also my first Hot Toy figures. but looking at them now, they just don't hold up in quality. they still have the superior box designs tho.

not as much as I expected it. still sold him for a good chunk. the Mark II actually sold more for me. they were also my first Hot Toy figures. but looking at them now, they just don't hold up in quality. they still have the superior box designs tho.

Yeah quality isnt quite as good, its great to see how far they have come. I'll prob hold on to mine primarily as it was a gift all those years ago and has sentimental value. I passed on the original Mark II and went Armor Unleashed for my purchase years later...and that is gorgeous.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Are you guys going to get the Die Cast re-releases of Marks 1 , 2 , 4, 5, 6 and 7?

Mark VII was the one from the Battle of New York, right? Would love a statue of this modell because its my favorite Iron Man Armor, but Hot Toys are so damn expensive

Sideshow support rocks. I received my Bones figure a month ago and the other day I noticed that one of the hands has a slight paint defect. I took pictures of it and showed them to support and they're sending me a replacement hand. I was expecting them to say it's too late.

Now if they'd just process my request for a refund on the ThreeA Master Chief figure.

Are you guys going to get the Die Cast re-releases of Marks 1 , 2 , 4, 5, 6 and 7?
Not 1 but I will for 2-7. I don't see the need for a Diecast Mark 1. The original is perfect as it is. Great sculpt and the figure passes for a figure that would release today.

1199765_ab61668a-16f3-11e2-8e1d-0dd5e3b59b20.jpg

Oh damn.

Threezero is part of 3A right? I think? I don't have much experience with them to be fair, but 3A's Master Chief was so so bad it sort of turned me off from their stuff.
They're separate companies while also being the same if that makes sense. They're together but run by separate owners. ThreeA is done by Ash. Their company focuses on figures built around Ash's art while also doing other licensed figures (HALO, Transformers, Destiny).

Threezero is completely different. They only do figures from licenses. I wouldn't worry about Threezero. Their quality is pretty good across the board. The only thing that was a real mess was the HALO line from ThreeA but again, that was handled by a separate team entirely.

Fjordson

They're separate companies while also being the same if that makes sense. They're together but run by separate owners. ThreeA is done by Ash. Their company focuses on figures built around Ash's art while also doing other licensed figures (HALO, Transformers, Destiny).

Threezero is completely different. They only do figures from licenses. I wouldn't worry about Threezero. Their quality is pretty good across the board. The only thing that was a real mess was the HALO line from ThreeA but again, that was handled by a separate team entirely.
Oh okay, sweet. Will keep an eye out on the Fallout line then. Need a dope power armor figure.

That's good to know because I was considering canceling my Threezero Commander Shepard preorder after the Master Chief fiasco.

dankir

Not 1 but I will for 2-7. I don't see the need for a Diecast Mark 1. The original is perfect as it is. Great sculpt and the figure passes for a figure that would release today.

1199765_ab61668a-16f3-11e2-8e1d-0dd5e3b59b20.jpg

I have Mark 1 but 1.0 and the sculpt is terrible but it's forgiving how the rest of the fig is amazing.

The proportions, paint app and sculpt are unpleasant. Like most PAK offerings.
Actually posting reasons is a lot better than your previous drive-by shit post.

I actually think the Arkham Knight figure is a pretty lousy representation of in-game model. The entire sculpt on the torso is just wrong, the proportions are strange, the upper torso articulation is awkward, the cape and where it sits is inaccurate, too much silver and not enough black. I think the sculpted details on the suit and paint apps are actually well done, but it's just so off from the in-game model, and the face does look a bit weird, but his face in the game looked pretty fuckin weird too. PAK is hit and miss, Arkham Origins Batman and Deathstroke were hits, most of their armored or suited figures are hits, but this Arkham Knight Batman is a miss. Not recommended, and I probably won't be keeping it.

Actually posting reasons is a lot better than your previous drive-by shit post.

I actually think the Arkham Knight figure is a pretty lousy representation of in-game model. The entire sculpt on the torso is just wrong, the proportions are strange, the upper torso articulation is awkward, the cape and where it sits is inaccurate, too much silver and not enough black. I think the sculpted details on the suit and paint apps are actually well done, but it's just so off from the in-game model, and the face does look a bit weird, but his face in the game looked pretty fuckin weird too. PAK is hit and miss, Arkham Origins Batman and Deathstroke were hits, most of their armored or suited figures are hits, but this Arkham Knight Batman is a miss. Not recommended, and I probably won't be keeping it.

Yes.

I've posted about my feelings on the company's design aesthetics before. If not in this thread than one of its predecessors

I don't think they have hit at all when it comes to adapting third party IPs. Most examples of 'good' PAK figures I've been shown suffer from their adolescent sensibilities of making them cooler, edgier and debatably tasteless.

I'm all for companies making stylised versions of characters that speak to different sensibilities but when you look at Play Arts stuff it is usually just a few small changes that makes the whole product slightly look off from the original design. It's not different enough from the thing it's based on to warrant the changes.

It has the opposite effect of impressing me. They go into great detail and over emphasise parts of the character but those details are wrong. So why even bother? It would be better if they were to go for more abstract changes where the details don't matter. Especially in a collectors market where details are everything. Offer something different not something which is overtly detailed but fundamentally off in lots of little irksome ways. Especially when there are cheaper, more accurately detailed offerings, like the DC Direct versions for example.

Obviously these products aren't aimed at me and what I look for in a collectable. But I am compelled by their faults to comment when I see them.

I personally am not a fan of PAK. I think for what they used to cost, they were okay, but not seeing quality improve or paint apps improve but having the Balls to compare themselves to hot toys and charge $150 for a figure. F square.

Having said that. I will buy one last figure from them because I'm an addict and I love this character. FFXII Fran

http://news.toyark.com/2015/08/26/play-arts-kai-final-fantasy-fran-new-official-photos-174215#images

I still have my Balthier from the original Play Arts line, pre Kai.

Top Bottom