• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Yeah after I get rid of this I'm going to try and track down one of those PAK Master Chief figures. Another thing I didn't like about the ThreeA figure was it's HUGE. Since Master Chief is like 7 feet tall, the figure is over 13" tall and I don't really have room for him.

The PAK 2 figure is 11". Might wanna track down some of the older PAK figures. They have issues but they're more the size you want (between 8-9")

Fjordson

Yeah after I get rid of this I'm going to try and track down one of those PAK Master Chief figures. Another thing I didn't like about the ThreeA figure was it's HUGE. Since Master Chief is like 7 feet tall, the figure is over 13" tall and I don't really have room for him.
The 18 inch Chief from NECA runs circles around 3A's. And it's only $99. One of the best figures I own.

But it sounds like that's a bit too big, so I'd recommend the Halo 2 play arts kai Chief. Another great Chief fig, maybe my favourite next to the NECA one.

Looking to maybe get my first figure (BERSERK - RAH GUTS DARK KNIGHT VER.) and have some quick questions!

So I happened to be on Nippon-Yasan when I noticed it and pre-orders seem to be sold out. When this happens is it typically for good or do they open up another wave? How is amiami? They have preorders available still.

Sites can get cancellations and re-open preorders briefly. I was on the lookout for that same Guts figure for months because it was sold out everywhere, but I finally caught it on AmiAmi a few months ago and managed to snag a pre-order.

As for AmiAmi in general, it's always been a solid site for me, haven't had any problems. I've heard they can be difficult about cancellations and/or returns though. I haven't had to do either so I can't speak from experience, but just something to be wary of.

dangeROSS

Ten years ago, I started buying Marvel Legends figures. Boy have things changed.

To be fair, the Urban Legends set was probably on clearance, but the Sentinel series figures were pre-orders! (I ended up having to get Sinister from BBTS to complete Sentinel).

Man those were the days. Its kinda crazy to see how much prices have changed since then. I remember getting the SpiderMan Fearsome Foes Boxset and Sinister Six Boxset for like $20 each at one point when they were on sale or being clearanced out. That's cheaper then a single carded figure now. :(

iqubal

Banned
Preordered the Iron Man Mark XLV quarter scale figure from hot toys. My first hot toys figure purchase ever actually lol. Can't wait.

Got my ThreeA Master Chief yesterday. I've been wanting a high quality Master Chief figure for a while, so I was excited for this one. Boy what a major disappointment. It feels more like a cheap toy than a $250 figure. It has a rubber under suit with the armor parts glued on top, which would be fine, except that the rubber is loose all over the body, so it feels more like he's wearing a rubber coat. On top of that, they boast all this articulation, but the legs aren't really that articulated so it's hard to pose him any way other than museum pose. Also, they say the weapons are magnetized and stick to his back, but the magnets are so weak they don't stay on. He also can't really hold his weapons or put his arms the way the promo photos show. I'm really disappointed in this figure and going to be asking Sideshow for a refund. Reading around other forums I see I'm not the only one.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Aren't these the guys doing the Titan for Destiny? Now I'm worried! I also have a Walter White pre-ordered from them.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Aren't these the guys doing the Titan for Destiny? Now I'm worried! I also have a Walter White pre-ordered from them.
Destiny Titan is using a standard 3A 12" body and no rubber, Master Chief doesn't use a standard body and has a thick rubber suit. Walter White is by threezero, related, but not the same company.

Still can't believe how badly they dropped the ball on Master Chief. Carter and Emile had their issues but overall were good figures, why they couldn't do that again with Chief boggles my mind.

Destiny Titan is using a standard 3A 12" body and no rubber, Master Chief doesn't use a standard body and has a thick rubber suit. Walter White is by threezero, related, but not the same company.

Still can't believe how badly they dropped the ball on Master Chief. Carter and Emile had their issues but overall were good figures, why they couldn't do that again with Chief boggles my mind.

Do you know anything about the threezero Commander Shepard figure? Looking at the pics it looks like it might have a similar rubber suit thing going on. I may cancel my preorder and wait for reviews.

Thanks for the clarification! Sucks about the Chief. wonder if NECA's 18" chief is any good. I should look up some reviews. I'd love to have a giant chief. Would have preferred 12" though.

Do you know anything about the threezero Commander Shepard figure? Looking at the pics it looks like it might have a similar rubber suit thing going on. I may cancel my preorder and wait for reviews.
I don't really know anything more about threezero's Shepard beyond what you and I can infer from the pictures.

Thanks for the clarification! Sucks about the Chief. wonder if NECA's 18" chief is any good. I should look up some reviews. I'd love to have a giant chief. Would have preferred 12" though.
18" Chief is a good figure, but for me, it feels like a giant action figure (which it is) as opposed to a premium collectible, which is what I was hoping for 3A Chief to be.

Fjordson

NECA's Chief is amazing. An absolute steal considering it's only $100.

For something smaller, the aforementioned Play Arts Kai Halo 2 chief is really good as well.

Hagi

Got my figuarts Luke this morning and wow it's fantastic. The detail on the unmasked Vader head is amazing, so much so now I'm going to put an order in for the reissue. Can't wait to see what Darth Maul looks like when he comes out in the next few weeks. Bandai are absolutely killing it with their Star Wars offerings, need to pick up one of the RD-D2 model kits to pair with Luke.

Rootbeer

Banned
Got my figuarts Luke this morning and wow it's fantastic. The detail on the unmasked Vader head is amazing, so much so now I'm going to put an order in for the reissue. Can't wait to see what Darth Maul looks like when he comes out in the next few weeks. Bandai are absolutely killing it with their Star Wars offerings, need to pick up one of the RD-D2 model kits to pair with Luke.

Really excited to get it! Just waiting on amiami to get Lucina in so they can ship all my stuff.

And then Darth Maul not too long after!

It's just too bad the new figures they announced don't interest me much (I'm looking at you, Battle Droid...) just when you think this line is heating up they give us a Battle Droid. Nice. Would be fine as long as they announced some other cool ones alongside it, but nahh.

Hagi

Really excited to get it! Just waiting on amiami to get Lucina in so they can ship all my stuff.

And then Darth Maul not too long after!

It's just too bad the new figures they announced don't interest me much (I'm looking at you, Battle Droid...) just when you think this line is heating up they give us a Battle Droid. Nice. Would be fine as long as they announced some other cool ones alongside it, but nahh.

I don't really mind the droid as much because I always loved their design so it'll be nice to have one since I lost my original I got when Phantom Menace came out. We already know that they are doing ANH versions of Han and Luke and I think I may have saw a Leia at some point though I could be confused with ArtFx.

Next year we should start seeing some Force Awakens stuff so that will be exciting. After seeing how Luke turned out I'm not even going to bother with Black Series Kylo Ren, the wait should be worth it I think and I think that line is pretty crappy anyway. Need some Obi Wan love though! not sure if they'll go with Guiness or McGregor but hoping for the former.

Got the Play Arts Kai Venom Snake figure yesterday. God the stand on that was a nightmare to put together! (My first poseable figure so I've never had to work with one of those stands)

LiK

Got the Play Arts Kai Venom Snake figure yesterday. God the stand on that was a nightmare to put together! (My first poseable figure so I've never had to work with one of those stands)

PAK stands are horrible. the ones they use at toy shows and conventions are so much better but they don't even sell those.

WTF @ this new NERF lightsaber design. Probably spoilers so proceed with caution.

0BJiHvH.png

Fjordson

Yeah, the stands are kinda trash.

I have the sneaking suit version pre-ordered. Figured I need at least one MGS V figure. Might get Skull Face also.

yami4ct

PAK stands are horrible. the ones they use at toy shows and conventions are so much better but they don't even sell those.

They can't be as bad as the figuarts stands, can they? The arms on those basically break down under the weight of a figure after like a year and no longer hold so, unless you're just using them to support a standing pose you're screwed. Got a flying character? Good luck posing it in any traditional flying pose for any length of time.

Consider me jelly, I got me the micro Revoltech one to cope

Yeah, the stands are kinda trash.

I have the sneaking suit version pre-ordered. Figured I need at least one MGS V figure. Might get Skull Face also.
You have to get Skull Face too! One figure only? C'mon son.

Fjordson

You have to get Skull Face too! One figure only? C'mon son.
Yeahh...I probably will lol.

I kinda want Ocelot also, but PAK figures almost always have weird face sculpts in the final versions. The venom snake ones have been serviceable because of the beard and the eyepatch, but in general I just don't think they do realistic human faces well.

LiK

They can't be as bad as the figuarts stands, can they? The arms on those basically break down under the weight of a figure after like a year and no longer hold so, unless you're just using them to support a standing pose you're screwed. Got a flying character? Good luck posing it in any traditional flying pose for any length of time.

most are pretty bad. i think the only good ones were with the early FF figures. but oh man, you should see the RE5 ones. horrible! i like not using the stands if i could help it. i actually bought some cheap aftermarket generic stands for some of them.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
What are some of the best Youtube channels for action figure reviews?
Mostly interested in superhero stuff (basically non-anime/manga stuff, to be honest) if that makes a difference.

Fjordson

What are some of the best Youtube channels for action figure reviews?
Mostly interested in superhero stuff (basically non-anime/manga stuff, to be honest) if that makes a difference.
This guy does some anime and video game stuff, but also a ton of DC/Marvel stuff. I really like his review style:

https://www.youtube.com/user/AnthonysCustoms

His biggest playlist is "Marvel reviews" with 435 videos in it lol. Dude gets figures for characters I've never even heard of.

Anyone have it? Think it looks awesome.

I have picked it up. I swore I wouldn't because I initially thought it looked too ridiculous, but the closer to release it came the better it actually looks in hand. Feels quite chunky compared to others. I have only got the chance to open the packaging to inspect it though, so not explored it properly and not got it on display.

Fjordson

I love the crazy space suit design. But I'm always worried about spending this much on a figure. Why I haven't gotten the courage to pull the trigger on any Hot Toys yet.

That reminds me, I've been wanting to get an Iron Man hot toys, but I want one of the random suits. And this one keeps catching my attention: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HOT10499&mode=retail

Anyone have it? Think it looks awesome.

That was my first and favorite Hot Toys figure. I love it. It is a little bulky and probably not as poseable as some of the other Iron Man figures, but I still think it's great. I only wish it was diecast.

If the price is too much, King Arts is making a 1/9th scale version of it that is diecast. http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=KGA10018&mode=retail I have that one preordered and eagerly awaiting it.

dankir

I have picked it up. I swore I wouldn't because I initially thought it looked too ridiculous, but the closer to release it came the better it actually looks in hand. Feels quite chunky compared to others. I have only got the chance to open the packaging to inspect it though, so not explored it properly and not got it on display.

Where did you order it from? I want to pick it up.

Also Starboost is a great figure, I kind of wish the HT one was diecast it feels too light in plastic. So definitely go the KingArts route if you can.

There's still Stryker, Shotgun and I'm positive they'll do the HammerHead suit and that will be all the major variations of IM3 movie armors. The other ones with slight changes (fiddler,disco, etc.) will be mini figs like they released with Tank.

Fjordson

Where did you order it from? I want to pick it up.

Also Starboost is a great figure, I kind of wish the HT one was diecast it feels too light in plastic. So definitely go the KingArts route if you can.
You'd actually go KingArts over the Hot Toys?

Both are in stock on Big Bad Toy Store (KingArts one is a pre-order). I'd like to pick one of them up.

dankir

You'd actually go KingArts over the Hot Toys?

Both are in stock on Big Bad Toy Store (KingArts one is a pre-order). I'd like to pick one of them up.

If cost is a big thing, because HT IM armors are quite expensive now. Once I have the full AoU set I think I'm done.

I remember buying Mark 1, 2, 3 for like 149.99. They're going to be 400 bucks a pop in the near future which is going to be a bit too much for me. Especially at the current rate they are releasing figures at now.

Fjordson

If cost is a big thing, because HT IM armors are quite expensive now. Once I have the full AoU set I think I'm done.

I remember buying Mark 1, 2, 3 for like 149.99. They're going to be 400 bucks a pop in the near future which is going to be a bit too much for me. Especially at the current rate they are releasing figures at now.
Interesting. Maybe I'll just try the KingArts one. Says it's coming out "third quarter 2015". It looks pretty damn nice.

This one looks cool also: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=KGA10019&mode=retail

New002

The 18 inch Chief from NECA runs circles around 3A's. And it's only $99. One of the best figures I own.

But it sounds like that's a bit too big, so I'd recommend the Halo 2 play arts kai Chief. Another great Chief fig, maybe my favourite next to the NECA one.

Sites can get cancellations and re-open preorders briefly. I was on the lookout for that same Guts figure for months because it was sold out everywhere, but I finally caught it on AmiAmi a few months ago and managed to snag a pre-order.

As for AmiAmi in general, it's always been a solid site for me, haven't had any problems. I've heard they can be difficult about cancellations and/or returns though. I haven't had to do either so I can't speak from experience, but just something to be wary of.

Cool. Thanks!

Some more questions :)

So I'm not familiar with the market for these [medicom] figures, but if I don't pre-order this medicom guts will I be SOL if I try to buy it later on down the road? Does medicom tend to produce a steady number of their figures post-launch or is it very limited? Is it safe to wait for a sale?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for all the questions! Very much a noob here.

Fjordson

Cool. Thanks!

Some more questions :)

So I'm not familiar with the market for these [medicom] figures, but if I don't pre-order this medicom guts will I be SOL if I try to buy it later on down the road? Does medicom tend to produce a steady number of their figures post-launch or is it very limited? Is it safe to wait for a sale?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for all the questions! Very much a noob here.
You can get some of Medicoms past Berserk figures still, so they seem to make a decent number of them. And you can always catch them on eBay and whatnot.

This looks to be by far the best Berserk figure they've done, though. It may go quicker than past ones. Tough to say.

Top Bottom