• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Blizzard is reportedly already making games with AI, and has already sold an AI skin in Warzone. People have been laid off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
AI is a real threat to economies and it seriously needs to be addressed. We have a consumer-driven economy. If too many people get replaced, who will be able to afford to buy things? We'd either need to start giving people universal basic income for, essentially, doing nothing, or companies will need to deliberately stop trying to automate to increase profits. Cause if every company automates too much, boom, there go a ton of jobs and the economy with it.
They've been saying that forever and the world revolves fine. Wages are up and Us unemployment is at close to historical low at 4%. As society gets more techie and more productive, all that happens is more businesses open up and hire more people.

The only people who have to worry are people who cant or purposely wont adapt.

Kerotan

This should be a good thing meaning less resources dedicated to MTX stuff. And it should mean those staff get put on things like the campaign for the next COD. But typical MS they'll just lay them off.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like all video game companies should tell its customer if a certain content has been made by AI. We should be informed.

Not everyone want to support this practice and its our right to have access to this information. I know I won't be supporting any company using AI to build art. I'm passionate about handcrafted video games and will only pay for handcrafted creations.

The problem is that it turns out the average artist is just doing what AI does and iterating on existing art they have consumed. And I have to imagine especially the average artist making CoD skins.
yep. for better or worse, with our culture being what it is, this convergence has unfortunately become inevitable. just like it has been with illiterate 'journalism'. if it's hard to tell the difference between human & ai at times, that's as much the responsibility of the human involved as it is the ai...

DavidGzz

Ironic that as gamers, the devs who loved seeing technology advancing, grew up to see what they love stab them in the back. Now they hate it. Sadge.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
proud tom green GIF by Leroy Patterson

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like all video game companies should tell its customer if a certain content has been made by AI. We should be informed.

Not everyone want to support this practice and its our right to have access to this information. I know I won't be supporting any company using AI to build art. I'm passionate about handcrafted video games and will only pay for handcrafted creations.
We don’t always ask ourselves “who drew this?” either and I don’t know if everyone will care either way. Solid point though.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
We don’t always ask ourselves “who drew this?” either and I don’t know if everyone will care either way. Solid point though.
Oh sure man, I mean, I'm not extra analyzing every texture on every angle, but I wouldn't want to start seeing some sort of quality degradation from, I don't know, writing that feels automated and cheap. Abnormal over polished character or world design. I see this AI stuff just like it was gonna make games feel manufactured, instead of being carefully crafted. If it makes any sense.

Also, I certainly wouldn't want to be that guy who looses his job to be replaced by a computer.

They've been saying that forever and the world revolves fine. Wages are up and Us unemployment is at close to historical low at 4%. As society gets more techie and more productive, all that happens is more businesses open up and hire more people.

The only people who have to worry are people who cant or purposely wont adapt.
The AI problem is unprecedented. It can erode white-collar jobs, management jobs, and creative jobs. And together with traditional mechanical automation, it will further erode traditional blue collar and service-related work. It's true that the world has managed just fine up till now, but that doesn't mean it will continue to do so. Assuming that things will be just fine in the face of such a transformative technology is unwise. Like, sure, what if you're right? But what if you're wrong? What then? How many of us really have jobs that can't be taken by AI if it continues to improve at the current rate?

ReBurn

Gold Member
Microsoft has invested a gajillion bucks into AI. Of course their developers are using it.

Mod edit: let's keep all in the one topic please

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom