• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision offically adds to the Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock song list (PR)

Dilbert

When this game comes out, I am going to run to the store for a case of beer, lock the door to my apartment, and rock out until either a) I get a groupie or b) I pass out.

Vlad

LiveWire said:
List looks unbelievable, but has it been determined whether or not the game plays just like Harmonix's Guitar Hero or Frets on Fire? The difference being that instead of an instrument not playing on a mistake or missed fret, it just gets softer. That and the apparent timing issue in the video shown on IGN or whatever site a few months ago. If it plays just like GH2 then HOLY FUCK. But I'm worried about the lack of Harmonix involvement here.

Well, the reason for that (as far as I'm aware, having played about two minutes of Frets on Fire) is due to the way the songs are recorded. With the GH games, the covers are made so that the guitar parts are seperate tracks, playing at the same time as the rest of the band. This way, when the player messes up, just the guitar track is muted, and the other track plays normally. With custom songs, there isn't a way for someone to extract just the guitar from a tune, so the only alternative is to soften the whole song.

So, with any of the cover songs, there's no excuse for just the guitar to drop out, and the master tracks should ideally work the same way. One of the reasons that Harmonix claimed that they couldn't get many master tracks for their GHes was that the original, seperate track recordings weren't available for the songs. Now, either the masters in GH3 all were available, or Neversoft will just do something to the whole song. I haven't had a chance to look at any videos or anything of the master track songs to see which case it is yet, though.

LiveWire said:
That and the apparent timing issue in the video shown on IGN or whatever site a few months ago.

People from ScoreHero and other places have played the game and reported no timing problems at all. If it wasn't just a problem with the video it was something that got fixed between then and now.

keyrat

Vlad said:
One of the reasons that Harmonix claimed that they couldn't get many master tracks for their GHes was that the original, seperate track recordings weren't available for the songs. Now, either the masters in GH3 all were available, or Neversoft will just do something to the whole song. I haven't had a chance to look at any videos or anything of the master track songs to see which case it is yet, though.

I thought Harmonix just never had access to masters because the record companies didn't care for licensing the music in that way, and GH hadn't proven itself to be the phenomenon that it is. After GH2 the industries (game and music) took note, and now GH and RB have more involvement from the labels, as well as more money to license music.

saunderez

MadFuzzy said:
Looks like the PAL version isn't out until 23rd November. Bit of a shame that it's nearly a month after the US one, but the tracklisting for this version is definitely better than GH2.

November 7 over here in Australia....you could always import or something I guess....

-jinx- said:
When this game comes out, I am going to run to the store for a case of beer, lock the door to my apartment, and rock out until either a) I get a groupie or b) I pass out.
I'll put my money on (b). :lol

I'm importing the US version. Most Activision stuff seems to be region free, so unless something goes really wrong this should be an easy deal. Rock Band is the big question mark.

J-Rzez

Nice list, definetly better than Rockbands list to date... I'm really glad "One" made it in there for sure, as it's the first song I ever learned how to play on guitar...

Vlad

keyrat said:
I thought Harmonix just never had access to masters because the record companies didn't care for licensing the music in that way, and GH hadn't proven itself to be the phenomenon that it is. After GH2 the industries (game and music) took note, and now GH and RB have more involvement from the labels, as well as more money to license music.

Well, that's why I said it was "one of" the reasons.

PaNaMa

Banned
I'm positive I read somewhere that a number of tracks in GH3 are the originals as performed by the real bands (i.e not a lame-o cover band track).

Does anyone know which (if any) songs are confirmed to be non covers?
I fully admit I could be completely in the wrong about this.

Vlad said:
One better than that is that the press release in the first post of this very thread tells which ones are covers and which ones are master tracks (by/as made famous by).
I was going to put that in there too but I ran out of time (had to get to class).
LakeEarth said:
But what if they love playing Guitar Hero?
hmm. good point.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
J-Rzez said:
Nice list, definetly better than Rockbands list to date... I'm really glad "One" made it in there for sure, as it's the first song I ever learned how to play on guitar...

Once again...

From Rolling Stone:
"Contrary to reports they were returning to their lawsuit-happy, Napster-killing ways, Metallica are not suing the video games “Guitar Hero 3” and “Rock Band” for featuring their …And Justice For All song “One.” A spokesperson for the band tells us that the band has licensed the song to the game makers and look forward to it appearing in both titles."

Translation: One = Rock Band DLC.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
speculawyer said:
Respect for DKs upped

So I guess you didn't get the memo about them being in Guitar Hero: Rocks the 80s?
BTW, the song is Police Truck.

sp0rsk said:
I don't expect Rock You Like a Hurricane or Barracuda to sound good, but most of the rest of the "As made famous by" songs I don't really care about. The one I care about the most is totally instrumental so I don't think they can fuck that up.

I prefer the Guitar hero cover of No One Like You over the original...

Devil Went Down to Georgia (as made famous by Charlie Daniels Band)

WHAT? It's like 15 seconds of crappy guitar and 5 minutes of fiddle...though if you get to play the fiddle part, this is officially the best song the series has ever had. Really weird choice (though awesome song).

Broktune

Banned
-jinx- said:

2272.jpg

Can I join you?

Top Bottom