• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time Season 6 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched the episode again and I noticed tha when the Lich's flesh starts to regrow Jake opens his eyes, sees what's happening and then closes his eyes again.

The Hermit

Holy shit

that is all

I just watched the episode again and I noticed tha when the Lich's flesh starts to regrow Jake opens his eyes, sees what's happening and then closes his eyes again.

Yeah I noticed that... it was too gross for him.

"Fall... You are alone child. There's only darkness for you and only death for your people. These ancients are just the beginning. I will command a great and terrible army, and we will sail to a billion worlds. We will sail til every light has been extinguished. You are strong child, but I am beyond strength. I am the end and I have come for you Finn"

God. Fucking. Damn. Amazing writing.

That part was fucking awesome.. I felt kinda bad hes gone, he was a great villain

|OT| of doorstop babies and broken marriages

Unrelated to the title, I was watching "Silent King" with Natasha the other day to try and find the cameo she made as a goblin, and she pointed out something ABSOLUTELY AMAZING that I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention before

Adventure Time: The Silent King

At around 2:08, Finn declares that he'll be the king to save them from themselves. As he says this, watch Jake in the corner of the screen totally mimicking Finn. My mind was blown, this is probably one of my favorite hidden-in-the-open things ever.

So I've seen random episodes of Adventure Time, and really liked it. But I always thought it was a completely episodic affair.

However, I just read the AV Club's review of this episode and they make it sound great. I didn't realize this show develops what sounds like a fairly ambitious continuity, what's the best way to get caught up?

So I've seen random episodes of Adventure Time, and really liked it. But I always thought it was a completely episodic affair.

However, I just read the AV Club's review of this episode and they make it sound great. I didn't realize this show develops what sounds like a fairly ambitious continuity, what's the best way to get caught up?

Season 1 is fairly stand-alone, they had no idea if the show would be brought back. Season 2-onward is where the actual planned out continuity begins (though they do some nice callbacks to S1 in later seasons as well). I'm sure someone out there has compiled a list of "must watch" plot-driving episodes, but IMO they're all worth watching so I'd say load up Netflix and start with Season 1.

Season 1 is fairly stand-alone, they had no idea if the show would be brought back. Season 2-onward is where the actual planned out continuity begins (though they do some nice callbacks to S1 in later seasons as well). I'm sure someone out there has compiled a list of "must watch" plot-driving episodes, but IMO they're all worth watching so I'd say load up Netflix and start with Season 1.

Does Netflix have all 5 seasons? I remember when they got Cartoon Network content that they were only getting like season 1 and 2 of most things.

Scum

tumblr_lup3caczVd1qhdupc.gif

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm still waiting for a character voiced by Patrick Stewart.
A good number of TNG alumni have appeared on the show, so it's only logical.

NEO0MJ

That was just...wow. Poor Finn, he was really desperate for answers :(
And baby Lich is probably gonna be more terrifying than his old form.

Holy shit at this episode. Adventure Time is on some next level stuff with this episode. I was actually hoping Finn wouldn't lose his arm and that all the allusions too it in previous episodes were some kind of meta troll. I hope the flower grows back into at least a new sword or something like that. Who knew that such a silly show about a boy, a dog, and some candy people could get so dark, and awesome.

Tuck

Tree Trunks is actually the fucking worst. Wanting a divorce from Mr. Pig (while hilarious) just adds to a huge list of reasons why she sucks.

Tree Trunks is actually the fucking worst. Wanting a divorce from Mr. Pig (while hilarious) just adds to a huge list of reasons why she sucks.
Truth. Just more confirmation that Mr. Pig deserves better than falling in love with that worthless elephant. Pity the poor guy, falling for a girl like her.

But anyway, yeah, season 6 is off to a terrific start. :D Can't wait to see where this goes.

Also, in terms of title, I think the favorite one I've seen so far is still:
Adventure Time Season 6 |OT| Let's Give The Boy A Hand!

You guys are underplaying the fact that Tree Trunks is constantly baking amazing apple pies.
That's just the trap she uses to lure you in. Then she uses you as she sees fit until you bore her and you're out and she's onto the next one, and won't even let you have any pie any more. Nope. No redeemable qualities--just evil.

I'm still waiting for a character voiced by Patrick Stewart.
A good number of TNG alumni have appeared on the show, so it's only logical.
They've tried, he's too expensive. They also wanted Shanter and same deal.

It makes me ever sadder because I'm acquaintanfriends with the guy who voices him and I always get so excited when he pops up in an episode.

That's just the trap she uses to lure you in. Then she uses you as she sees fit until you bore her and you're out and she's onto the next one, and won't even let you have any pie any more. Nope. No redeemable qualities--just evil.

Exactly, remember in her wedding episode she had like three ex husbands there. First of all, what kind of awful person invites their exes to their wedding, and secondly, THREE of them. Bitch is a heart breaking machine.

So, did anyone else catch the part at the beginning where Jake explained why he was gone so much? I thought it was sort of neat considering how many people noted the jake-less episodes in the last season's thread.

NEO0MJ

So, did anyone else catch the part at the beginning where Jake explained why he was gone so much? I thought it was sort of neat considering how many people noted the jake-less episodes in the last season's thread.

Yeah, that's the first thing that occurred to me. Though it still doesn't explain why he's still in denial about Billy's death. I mean he hangs there almost every night!

blanky

Huh? no, what did he say?

Well it's not certain but he does mention hanging out and partying at Prismo's a lot, plus the writers said for the stories they've been doing in the past few episodes of season 5 it didn't make sense to have jake on as much as usual.

Well it's not certain but he does mention hanging out and partying at Prismo's a lot, plus the writers said for the stories they've been doing in the past few episodes of season 5 it didn't make sense to have jake on as much as usual.

Well, whatever was goin on, I'm glad Jake's back full time!

Wow really? I always thought it was a direct inspiration, they are waaay too similar.
Yeah, I just searched. It's on newsarama.com. Search "Adventure Time a boy and his dog". It should be the first link. Interviewer asks if both ABaHD AND Kamandi were inspirations lol.

Edit: Though he has probably taken inspiration since.

I think I must be the only person who felt disappointed by this episode. I thought part one was cool, but then
Finn's dad turned out to be a jerk
and
Finn lost his arm in a very meaningless, anticlimactic way.

I wish they would have stuck to their original plan as seen in this unused scene from "The Lich" storyboard:

qoRtkQDl.jpg

uHNyYyml.jpg

6PRShnnl.jpg

vFUDY0tl.jpg

RhCY4IGl.jpg

njGwQKul.jpg

UC4WAtNl.jpg

GBJ1wvIl.jpg

42iozAUl.jpg

FBkz6xBl.jpg

4wWqJHDl.jpg

BSw3i1Rl.jpg

A8tcGaTl.jpg

Pwylropl.jpg

Everything about the original idea just seemed to work better IMO. When I watched "Escape From the Citadel" all I could think was
"are they trolling fans who expected who expected Finn's dad to be an epic hero?"
And don't even get me started on
The Lich
. I hope he can come back somehow, but it doesn't seem likely.

Just gonna throw this out there:

Jake points to some dude, says it might be his dad, Finn immediately goes for it, and he keeps calling him his dad. "Dad" kept referring to Finn as his son, and kept taking advantage of Finn's help. His acknowledgement was simply for his own personal gain.

We don't know for certain it's actually his dad, just that his dad was somewhere there. It hasn't been confirmed. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

NEO0MJ

I wish they would have stuck to their original plan as seen in this unused scene from "The Lich" storyboard:

Everything about the original idea just seemed to work better IMO.

Don't forget though that it was the Lich who was talking to Finn that moment, not Billy. He was probably planning to do the same thing he did in this episode and so tricked Finn into thinking his dad was a hero so he can help him on his quest.

Jake points to some dude, says it might be his dad, Finn immediately goes for it, and he keeps calling him his dad. "Dad" kept referring to Finn as his son, and kept taking advantage of Finn's help. His acknowledgement was simply for his own personal gain.

We don't know for certain it's actually his dad, just that his dad was somewhere there. It hasn't been confirmed. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

Yeah, this occurred to me as well. Still, I don't think we saw any other humans in the citadel and it would be pretty annoying if it turns out Fin's real dad escaped without anyone noticing him.

japtor

I think I must be the only person who felt disappointed by this episode. I thought part one was cool, but then
Finn's dad turned out to be a jerk
and
Finn lost his arm in a very meaningless, anticlimactic way.

[snip]

Everything about the original idea just seemed to work better IMO. When I watched "Escape From the Citadel" all I could think was
"are they trolling fans who expected who expected Finn's dad to be an epic hero?"
And don't even get me started on
The Lich
. I hope he can come back somehow, but it doesn't seem likely.
The Lich explanation is good, and just in general
dads can be jerks too. They even hinted at it with the song in the commercial! And hell he could've still been a hero at one point, but that doesn't necessarily make him a good father.
As for the arm there's one explanation I saw somewhere that I think was good, kinda paraphrasing here.
If you go back to his screwing up with Flame Princess, it was because he hurt her by being selfish, and she left him for good and ended up alright. With Martin, Finn won't let go of a selfish figure (quite literally, and even saying "I won't let you go!"), and ends up hurting himself.

Course it hits a bit closer to home for me cause my sister's family and what they've been going through.
There's some issues with her ex and their kids for one which applies a bit, but her stepdaughter's mom is pretty much like Martin, even got out of jail recently! Nice to the kid occasionally but otherwise completely out of the picture and too unreliable to be counted on as a mother, but the kid still loves her...and it all just ends up hurting the kid emotionally. She needs to let go and move on.

...I'm not sure that needed to get spoilered but hopefully you get where I'm coming from. In any case I'm just hoping it wasn't a big fake out cause that has the potential to send a screwed up message to kids in that situation. And from a little writeup about an older episode (albeit about something else entirely) it sounds like they do care about what they portray.

Not 100% certain, but Martin has the same single hair on top of the head as his dad in Finn the Human, also has a beard like him, and I guess his outfit is kinda like a spacey version of the overalls/suspenders. And I guess vaguely similar naming, Martin vs the Mertens surname.
And for a parallel to the bad guy thing, while Mr. Mertens wasn't shown as bad, he did have some type of dealings with the Destiny Gang...and needed Finn to get him out of it there too now that I think about it.

ЯAW

Banned
Finally caught up. I have been blasting through season 4&5 and it's amazing how this show shows no decrease in quality. If anyone this show just keeps getting better. Season 6 opener was great start for new season, can't wait for todays episode.

I was thinking about this today - given Finn's Dad's clothes (pseudo-futuristic) and his asking where Finn parked his starskipper (when we know that space travel in Ooo hasn't been reinvented yet) - what are the chances that either: Finn's dad is from a space colony? Maybe humanity escaped Ooo and live on on another planet? or Possibly a time traveler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom