• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Advice needed : 65'' LG G4 v.s. 77'' LG C4

Which model would you recommend to go

• 65'' G4

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • 77'' C4

Votes: 74 58.3%

• Total voters

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Folks,

I've been torn for some days and will appreciate your inputs.

Thoughts on 65'' LG G4 v.s. 77'' LG C4?

Will be 95% using it for gaming on PS5 and PC. I sit 6 feet away from the TV. I plan to keep the TV for at least 5 years.

I understand G4 has superior picture quality in gaming model but does the size advantage of C4 outperform it to deliver an overall better gaming experience? How much do you think the extra 5 year panel warranty with G4 gonna matter?

I am upgrade from 5 year old LED TV so I am ready to get blown away either way, but which one will be a better buy?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update:

Folks, ended up with 65G4.

Me and the missus tried to sit at 6 ft in front our 75'' living room tv and we agreed the FOV was too much for our likings. Plus the MLA panel and the 5 yearn warranty really win me over.

Thanks for all the inputs, gaffers are always a great community. Anyway, can't wait to join the OLED wagon and never shut up about it!

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Imo 6 feet is too close for 77" so 65G4, most things will look fine and watchable on the 77" but some things will be a strain on your neck muscles unless you ignore the edges of the frame.

Why not look at an 85" Bravia 9 if you're looking for size? That's about the same price as a 77C4 isn't it?

FALD LCD and OLED each have their strengths and weaknesses, the OLED provides a higher contrast in almost all scenes but the Bravia 9 will be very bright and have a higher average picture level.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Imo 6 feet is too close for 77" so 65G4, most things will look fine and watchable on the 77" but some things will be a strain on your neck muscles unless you ignore the edges of the frame.

Why not look at an 85" Bravia 9 if you're looking for size? That's about the same price as a 77C4 isn't it?

FALD LCD and OLED each have their strengths and weaknesses, the OLED provides a higher contrast in almost all scenes but the Bravia 9 will be very bright and have a higher average picture level.
Thanks a lot!

I am actually a big fan of mini-led but B9's price tag is like 5k for 85'', which really turns me off for now. :messenger_grinning_sweat: Plus my current man cave can only fit max to 75 inches.

Senua

Incremental spec upgrades within the same range of TV tech are superfluous.

Meanwhile, 77” is an enormous size difference over 65”.

40.33% larger viewing area.

Go with 77”.
I have a C3 but seeing a G4 in store, not gonna lie I was impressed. My TV is awesome in the dark but man the G4 looked great in bright conditions. From what I've heard the C4 isn't much better in that regard compared to the C3

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
With TVs; always go one bigger than you think you want.

Will be 95% using it for gaming on PS5 and PC. I sit 6 feet away from the TV. I plan to keep the TV for at least 5 years.
Six feet from a 77”?

Take it from me, this may actually be detrimental to gaming. I sit six feet from 65”, and I have to physically move my head to see information in the corners. Picture playing Street Fighter and having to look away from the battle just to see health bars.

It was so distracting that I went down to 55” when I upgraded TVs.

Big size for movies, but for games, you want to be able to see most of the screen at once. 77” would be comical for navigating a PC desktop. Someone observing you would think you were watching a tennis match.

Sage advice.

Last edited:

Astray

I have a C3 but seeing a G4 in store, not gonna lie I was impressed. My TV is awesome in the dark but man the G4 looked great in bright conditions. From what I've heard the C4 isn't much better in that regard compared to the C3
You generally don't buy OLED for bright settings because their peak SDR brightness (which will be used in most things) isn't as good as miniLED or even LED for example. I have my OLED in my living room, which I have planned out to avoid things like direct sunlight on the TV during the day, as well as shade curtains all around.

Look at the Rtings best picks, for both the 65" and 75-77" sizes they recommend a non-OLED model for bright rooms for that precise reason.

Store settings typically has display turned up to the absolute maximum to look impressive in a store, don't fall for those because you will be adjusting the picture for your home settings.

Six feet from a 77”?

Take it from me, this may actually be detrimental to gaming. I sit six feet from 65”, and I have to physically move my head to see information in the corners. Picture playing Street Fighter and having to look away from the battle just to see health bars.

It was so distracting that I went down to 55” when I upgraded TVs.

Big size for movies, but for games, you want to be able to see most of the screen at once. 77” would be comical for navigating a PC desktop. Someone observing you would think you were watching a tennis match.

Sage advice.
LectureMaster LectureMaster Yeah make sure you have the right size for your distance. Here's a link to help you decide:

This probably isn’t going to be helpful. But as someone who owns both a Samsung oled and an lg g3.. please listen to me.

Game mode on the g series sucks, you don’t get any of the nice post processing features like color or brightness boost, and while you can game on vivid with ALLM, you lose some response time. (Just look at any gaming forum taking about the G series. Everyone is discussing work arounds like gaming on filmmaker mode… it’s ridiculous) Samsung’s QD-OLED is better tech, it’s night and day side by side. Brighter, and oh my gosh the colors are insane. Anything red is jaw dropping.

Consider the Samsung S95D. I’m not here to start tv fanboy wars, I’m just saying as a guy who has both, the Samsung is better for gaming. Objectively better. It’s not close.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Incremental spec upgrades within the same range of TV tech are superfluous.

Meanwhile, 77” is an enormous size difference over 65”.

40.33% larger viewing area.

Go with 77”.

Agreed, with stuff like this, the bigger, the better. Once you start getting to like $2,300 or $2,700, might as well get the biggest anyway.

Anything above 100", I just use a projector anyway, I have one thats like 300" that fits a whole wall that i use to watch old films

Zz1qqss.jpeg

Hudo

Go to your local supermarket and ask the women there if they like 65" or 77" more. Then go for the one with the most votes.

Go_Ly_Dow

Given the sitting distance I think the 65 G4 would suffice. If you ever plan on moving in the next years and putting the TV in a larger room where you are sitting further away then probably the 77 C4.

Really the difference between them is incremental and it's the size that counts in this situation, your viewing disance, the TVs location, viewing comfort, your living situation over the next 5 years.

Either way you will be blown away and there's not much between them.

Last edited:

Tarnpanzer

I sit 6 feet away from the TV.

Me too, and I have a 65" C9.

Next TV will also be 65", because if the TV is bigger than 65", I would need to turn my head slightly to left/right side of the screen to see everything. With 65" it is perfect as it is.

Game mode on the g series sucks, you don’t get any of the nice post processing features like color or brightness boost.

This problem has been resolved with the G4 iirc.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Thanks a lot!

I am actually a big fan of mini-led but B9's price tag is like 5k for 85'', which really turns me off for now. :messenger_grinning_sweat: Plus my current man cave can only fit max to 75 inches.

Get a Hisense 85" U8N then, or U8K if its still available. That's not a B9, but it's better than a B7 for brightness pop and depth of image in dark scenes.

Sony image processing is king ofc, but do you even care about that if you will lose OLED PQ to get a bigger MiniLED?

Kuranghi

With OLED you want the brightness one possible, the PQ difference between C3/4 and G3/4 is not small.

Can't you make an 85" MiniLED fit? :p

Edmund

Bite the bullet and go for a 77 inch G4. You'll earn back that money in no time and don't have to stress regarding your choice right now.

angrod14

There are various considerations with this.

Huge TV's tend to look kinda ugly to me, as they hoard the center of a living space. It's kinda tacky seeing this big black ominous rectangle in an otherwise comfy room.

Weight and the distance is another aspect you have to consider. I remember when I had to install my 65 CX, it required three adult men. It weights a shit ton, and the TV is frameless and with such a delicate screen, you can only grab it from the bottom and a bit on top. It seemed like the screen was going to break at any point. I can't imagine installing a 77 one.

6 ft is quite close. If you go 77 it might be fine for movies, but in games your eyes will have to do quite the tracking in order to reach certain corner elements like the HUD. Maybe you'll even have to move your neck. I know this because I already experience a bit of it with the 65 one (8 ft distance). Imagine 77.

I recommend going for 65". It's the perfect TV size.

Last edited:

Wulfer

Always go for bigger, if you don't put them side by side you won't notice the difference
Incorrect, G4's have a large heatsink on the back of the units to help control over heating. My G3 has that and its 30% brighter than a C3! Finally, G4's will have the flush wall mount bracket included in the box and a art gallery mode. No they're not the same!

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
According to the first page of the console peasant handbook all you need is a 48 inch

But you should absolutely get the 77

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I went from a 65 inch oled to a 77 inch oled. 77 inches makes a substantial difference and you won't regret it! Also try and stay with the G series as they're much brighter.

Last edited:

Diddy X

There are various considerations with this.

Huge TV's tend to look kinda ugly to me, as they hoard the center of a living space. It's kinda tacky seeing this big black ominous rectangle in an otherwise comfy room.

Weight and the distance is another aspect you have to consider. I remember when I had to install my 65 CX, it required three adult men. It weights a shit ton, and the TV is frameless and with such a delicate screen, you can only grab it from the bottom and a bit on top. It seemed like the screen was going to break at any point. I can't imagine installing a 77 one.

6 ft is quite close. If you go 77 it might be fine for movies, but in games your eyes will have to do quite the tracking in order to reach certain corner elements like the HUD. Maybe you'll even have to move your neck. I know this because I already experience a bit of it with the 65 one (8 ft distance). Imagine 77.

I recommend going for 65". It's the perfect TV size.

Correct, TVs need to be the right size for the room, if you enter a house and the first thing you notice is a big-ass screen... shit house.

Kuranghi

Let's actually read the OP fully guys, the man is sitting 6 feet away, everyone is coming in like "I went from 65" to 77" and the difference is huge!!!", yeah cool obviously it's a bigger and more immersive screen but we're trying to work out if it's too big for the viewing distance and it is (imo).

If someone else comes in and posts without reading the OP I'm going to wap you with my big willy, K?

Welp looks like a sizable portion of GAF has fallen for the

Lil Dicky Size GIF by DAVE

Both can be true though, I would choose the 65" due to better brightness and more appropriate size for the distance mentioned, but also my cock is really big and after I sleep with someone their size queen friends just happen to show up in my social media... must be coincidence and size doesn't matter :messenger_smirking:

These poll results are dumb, you ALWAYS go bigger when display quality is close, which they are.

77" by a mile.

Except when you're sitting too close for a 75/77". Less than 2m is too close for that size, I sit 1.9m from a 65" and if it was 75" the edges would be on my peripheries and I would have to move my neck, maybe for general TV watching its okay, but sports, movies and gaming it's too big imo.

Last edited:

Katatonic

Edit: At 6' distance, the 65" might be the way to go. Fuck it, get the 77" C4.

Just bear in mind that if you add a foot or 2, you'll be better off with the 77". Just a few feet further really does make a difference.

My advice is go to your nearest Costco which is a great place since they have both models plus way more on display and view them from your home distance.

I sit 9.5' from my TV. I originally had a 65" C3 and had to stand at approx 5 - 6', to see all the details.

Later I got a 77" C3 and it just felt right from the get go. Gaming and movies are amazing. I've had friends with more "high end" TV's swear that mine looks better. I think it's just that I tweaked my settings better.

Last edited:
What Evilore said.

I bought an LG C3 this past winter instead of an LG G3 because the most salient difference (other than price) was that the G3 was brighter, and that's not really a concern for me. The C3 is plenty bright, even at 80% brightness.

Assuming the C4 vs G4 argument is similar.

Check out this site. 1) 77" at 6ft is about 50 degree FOV.
2) 65" at 6ft is about 43 degree FOV.

Considering humans have about 140 degrees of FOV, the closer you get to that number, the more technically "immersed" you'll be, with the tradeoff you lose the ability to as easily quick scan to periphery.

I sit 2ft away from my 42" LG C3 (75 degree FOV), and it was like playing in VR for the first few days. It's dope.

Also went down a rabbit hole thinking about your question and found this graphic. You could consider this when making your decision. 50 degree FOV with a 77" doesn't seem "too big" when comparing to VR headset FOVs, imo:
xmL0yVB.png

Last edited:

Haint

Wait for a 77G4 sale closer to what the 77C4 is now, or wait for the 77C5 which will probably add the MLA layer. The current and earlier C's are noticeably and subjectively pretty dim in HDR content, I wouldn't advise buying one today unless it's like a firesell price (e.g. ~$1500-$1700 for a 77"). Samsung's 77S90 QD-OLED's on their routine steep discounts (~$1800) are much better buys than LG's C series. LG are just milking their brand and goodwill with the C4, it's objectively overpriced and a worse TV than the Samsung S90C/D.

Last edited:
This isn't even a question. Go with the 77" or you're going to regret it.

If you're 6 feet away I imagine youre mostly center and dont have to worry about green tint. Also the only other thing really going for the G4 is brightness which you'll only ever notice or have an issue with if you directly compare side by side. Even then you might be hard pressed to see the difference. The larger TV might seem brighter regardless since it's bigger. More light coming from the bigger set. And if you want the thing for 5 years, you may well want to move farther away from it at some point. Bigger is definitely better.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Agreed, with stuff like this, the bigger, the better. Once you start getting to like $2,300 or $2,700, might as well get the biggest anyway.

Anything above 100", I just use a projector anyway, I have one thats like 300" that fits a whole wall that i use to watch old films

Zz1qqss.jpeg
Donnie Brasco!

I love that flick.

graywolf323

the recommended distance to sit from a 77” TV is nearly 8ft for a cinema view (40 degree viewing angle), definitely go with the 65” which you are nearly at the perfect viewing distance (6.5’)

Top Bottom