• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After 25 years I am finally gaming on PC, And its glorious.

Built a PC last year.. Its been my main platform bye a significant margin. This is coming from a guy who owns every major console/handheld

LordKasual

Banned
How are you going to play Yakuza on a PC? This is just too much.

Dualshock 4 support, baby. Or Xbox controller.

Steam now seems to natively support DS4. It's glorious.

I even found a DS4 at Best Buy that came with a bluetooth dongle for regular price (one of the newer model DS4s). So now i don't even need a USB cable, if i'm so inclined

jett

D-Member
There's something funny about you posting all kinds of specs that don't really matter much (to us) but don't post what GPU you got. :p

Strange purchase to make if you weren't planning on going balls out on PC gaming from the get-go, but at least you got the ball running now.

PC gaming is the best.

Ricky_R

Been there, done that. It was a marvellous phase in my life, but now I'm good with a console, preferably a PS for the time being.

Still, some of the most memorable moments I have with gaming were in my PC years. Particularly with CS 1.6 and a bit of Source.

I'm currently going insane because my PC has been out of commission recently and I can't seem to fix it myself...

At this point I am pretty sure the main issue is that my HDD is dying. It already went out of commission once and forced me to do a Windows Repair. Now it will at least load windows but it acts sluggish and ends up crashing after being on for about an hour, no matter what I do. The annoying thing is that I already have a new SSD to replace it and everything but I can't.

For some godforsaken reason I can't get into my Bios. I have removed the CMOS and tried removing every part I can think of, but it locks up when it tries to load the UEFI Bios.

I just got a summer bonus so I am probably just gonna take it to a PC repair shop and see what they can do. I am hoping it isn't actually some issue with the motherboard but the Bios issue has me worried.

I really wanna play some of the Battletech beta too. It's going to be shut down eventually! :(

Certainly. Small price to pay for 30+ year catalog, however.

Definitely. It's not like lack of widescreen support or having to run something in compatability mode is worse than having it be unavailable. I have to be pretty sure I won't want to play a game beyond the next few years if I buy it on console - otherwise I'd rather add it to my forward compatible PC library.

ViolentP

Definitely. It's not like lack of widescreen support or having to run something in compatability mode is worse than having it be unavailable.

I try to be as objective as I can when communicating online, but I'll show a card on this one. Some old games should be played vanilla. I know that mods try to bridge certain gaps, but for me, the only way to play Quake is 320x240 with that Nine Inch Nails soundtrack blasting in the back.

I have to be pretty sure I won't want to play a game beyond the next few years if I buy it on console - otherwise I'd rather add it to my forward compatible PC library.

Agreed. I buy my PC games like I buy my books. I may not use it today, but 10 years from now if I want to experience a story about space pirates in feudal Japan because that's where I am in life, then I like knowing I'm allowed the opportunity to do so.

BubbaMc

If you really want to blow your mind, hook the PC up to your 106" projector.

That's what I've done with mine, and it's amazing.

Nzyme32

Yep PC gaming is pretty damn good for the past several years. Don't fall for the platform warring forum nonsense - depending on what you like or want to explore, all manner of systems are great. Tons of amazing games brewing from all the open competition, experimentation, hobbyists, innovative new ideas, new business models, different services etc etc etc. Shit's good. Particularly happy with Steam these days. I find that the sheer wealth of variety has led to me exploring game types, genres, new and old games I wouldn't have considered or conceived of years back. Together with all the ways to actually play and all the form factors of PCs, Steam Controller and Link have all worked out so well for me and my setups. The problem is getting the time to play all the good stuff!

I created and built my very own gaming PC for the first time in my life this year and I look at it everyday proud. I've beeen meaning to do it a while but I was always scared about the moving parts and the cost....but after it all, it's beautiful and I want to continue to upgrade it as it ages. My final total racked up to about 1500 and it is worth every dime. I got my dream pc

The only thing that does suck is my PC is connected to my TV because I don't have the space yet for a desk/monitor set up but I will look into that for the future

AEdouard

You've left out the most important part, the gpu! ;)

With that kind of expenses on other parts, I guess at least a 1080?

Pennywise

Which ones, for example? I kinda struggle to think of any.
There are plenty of games, especially older titles where the dev is gone.
Luckily there are plenty of solutions and fan patches out there, just costs you a bit of research.

I know that feel, it took me 25 years to do it too. Dunno how I went so long without a dedicated gaming PC, it feels like the options are limitless.
That wasn't always the case.
PC gaming had its own flaws and problems and still has, but the growth over the last 10 years was pretty big.

PC gaming is almost overwhelming when you consider the library. Backwards compatible with over 30 years of gaming. No other platform can say that.

Bigger price of entry I suppose, but cheaper in the long run. I seem to fall out of PC gaming when new consoles hit (not counting Nintendo, they don't launch with powerful specs to compete with PCs) but crawl my way back a couple years into a console's release. Now I'm back with a beefy PC and I haven't touched a console in months as a result.
How so? Both need new hardware after a few years.
The only exception might be Nintendo with their game prices holding their prices pretty well, which also means more resale value though.

How long has it taken for you to switch to PC gaming? from now on all my multi plat will be PC. i will use consoles for exclusives here on out.
Never ever going fully exclusive to one platform.
I have always used nearly every platform. Had like every console out there and a PC, allthough that changed this gen and I'm only having a PC,PS4 and my handhelds.

My wife wasn't too happy with the cost of mine... until she started to see how much it was saving us in the long run. She is all for it now. In fact, I didn't intend to go fully PC when I built mine but between the money I started to save, Play Anywhere and the exponential leap in quality of nearly every single one of the games that I double dipped on or even new ones... it made it really hard to justify going back.

Sotha_Sil

There's few things more satisfying than building your first PC, hitting the power button, and watching it successfully boot without issue your first time through. That was a nerve-wracking moment... seeing those lights and BIOS pop up is one of my favorite gaming memories. It's why, when the inevitable PC vs console debate stirs its ugly head, I prefer to think they are two different markets entirely. PC is a labor of love - I don't care if it's more expensive. There's nothing wrong with plug-n-play consoles. They're just different.

The best is going back to play older games at proper framerates and resolutions. Games that were 720p or lower running at 30fps or lower on PS3 can easily run at 1080p/120fps with a standard build.... and then you really appreciate how much fun these games are with all the technical obstacles removed.

AEdouard

With that kind of money spent on an i7 and other less necessary parts, it's really weird to me that you went with a freesynch monitor, which only work with AMD gpus. Nvidia is really the only one offering solid options in the high and medium-high end GPU market right now.

Built mine about five months ago. It's wonderful. I don't have much time on my hands, but when I do I'm always happy to plop down at my desk and just play whatever. I haven't had much trouble with old games, but I don't mind the tinkering. PC really is better than everything else

Welcome to the best platform. Know what is the deal sealer for me? Nevermind control over graphics options and the like, I can be playing a game and alt tab out for whatever I need at the speed of light. Often leaving a game running and being able to get back in time when you hear you get attacked.

No other platform can offer the flexibility.

Nzyme32

Wait wait wait waitttttttttt...... You bought a Freesync monitor and a Nvidia video card?...............

lmao

wait he did?

oh god

So what?

I have a freesync monitor and nvidia card for both machines. For one, the monitor just happens to have freesync and I didn't even know plus it was a cheap monitor and I already had an nvidia card.

For the other it is 21:9 and has freesync, which is more prevalent than gsync and far cheaper. Since I'm always hitting above 60 with the card, it isn't worth spending so much more on a gsync monitor and a different card purely to use either together.

Makes sense to me

Pennywise

Free online, much cheaper games, free remasters.

Point taken with the free online and remasters.
Those are two pretty great points about PC gaming in general.

However, the games aren't really that much cheaper unless you're stupid enough to buy every retail game for 70$/€ or even worse the digital version.
I have to admit that digital prices are certainly pretty bad during the initial launch, but generally the sales on PSN/Xbox Live are pretty great over the last 2-3 years.
Retail titles are about 40-55€, for example I could get the new Wolfenstein for about 44€ for the PS4, while it's 60€ on Steam...
Retail titles also mean that I can sell the game, so it's hardly a point for the PC.

Trago

Welcome brother!

I made the switch around 2010-2011. I was getting real tired of dealing with bad performance on major console games. One of my high school teachers was like "Dude, if you had a PC, you wouldn't have to deal with that crap.", and sure enough , I started saving up for different parts that summer.

Even though having better performance in games was the main reason for me making the switch, the other advantages of gaming on PC ensure that I'm staying on the platform. I still like consoles for exclusive titles, but those are so few in numbers now.

Im building my first this year for destiny 2 and wolfenstein, im tired of having compromised multiplats on consoles, no matter how powerful they are. Sold my ps4 pro so im just rocking my switch til i have it built this holiday

However, the games aren't really that much cheaper unless you're stupid enough to buy every retail game for 70$/€ or even worse the digital version.
I have to admit that digital prices are certainly pretty bad during the initial launch, but generally the sales on PSN/Xbox Live are pretty great over the last 2-3 years.
Retail titles are about 40-55€, for example I could get the new Wolfenstein for about 44€ for the PS4, while it's 60€ on Steam...
Retail titles also mean that I can sell the game, so it's hardly a point for the PC.

Likewise, nobody buys new games on steam at full price.

You can pre-order Wolfenstein 2 right now for €30 on cdkeys.

Rellik

New Wolfenstein is £25.99 on CDKeys.

We don't know he bought an nvidia gpu. It could be amd, and that's actually worse than getting a freesynch monitor with an nvidia gpu, right now anyway.

He said he has a 1080.

So what?

I have a freesync monitor and nvidia card for both machines. For one, the monitor just happens to have freesync and I didn't even know plus it was a cheap monitor and I already had an nvidia card.

For the other it is 21:9 and has freesync, which is more prevalent than gsync and far cheaper. Since I'm always hitting above 60 with the card, it isn't worth spending so much more on a gsync monitor and a different card purely to use either together.

Makes sense to me

Yeah, there's is nothing wrong with this as I did the same thing. I wanted a 21:9 ultrawide and found a good deal on an LG Freesync one so I paired it with my i7, 16 GB RAM, and GTX 1070 and couldn't be happier with IQ, extra screen space, lack of screen-tearing, etc.

Renekton

Which ones, for example? I kinda struggle to think of any.
Try Might and Magic 2 for example, I have been crashing in dosbox at several game points. Even the starting door.

Not really what? Not really overwhelming?

I mean the a large portion of the old games work. And even if that weren't the case, the library is still arguably overwhelming.
After struggling to get some oldies working during a 80-90s CRPG nostalgia craze, I don't think so.

Izuna

Banned
So what?

Makes sense to me

Without Gsync, you are forced to use Vsync to reduce tearing and yet you're going to get mad input lag with it.

But regardless, your setup is great, it just isn't something where 60fps means Gsync is worthless

AEdouard

Without Gsync, you are forced to use Vsync to reduce tearing and yet you're going to get mad input lag with it.

But regardless, your setup is great, it just isn't something where 60fps means Gsync is worthless

Maybe It's because I'm an ancient 35 year old, but I never felt vsynched 60 fps had any problems with input lag. (Lets remember that most console games have worse lag than that too).

womp

I went PC this gen in late 2014 after being away for about 10 years. PC/Switch for me. Perfect combo.

Cheap, free online, games at their max quality...cheap...and did I mention cheap?

Maybe It's because I'm an ancient 35 year old, but I never felt vsynched 60 fps had any problems with input lag. (Lets remember that most console games have worse lag than that too).

I think with a controller it's hard to tell the difference, but with a mouse, V-sync on and V-sync off are very noticeable. I'm so glad I finally made the jump to G-sync.

Top Bottom