• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After 25 years I am finally gaming on PC, And its glorious.

I switched to PC gaming with the release of Witcher 3. I wanted to play that game in the best quality possible and so built a beefy rig. And since then, what an amazing experience it has been. It honestly is no different from playing on console, since I've connected my PC to the TV and play with a controller. Now I buy all multiplats on PC. The choice of resolutions, fps, mods, controllers and configurations (macros), emulators, backwards compatibility, DRM free GOG, etc., all make it the best place to play.

All of this is true but sometimes shit just doesn't work out of the box like it should. Mostly relatively easy fixes but when I just want a pick up and play experience (and the PS4 pro version already supports 1080p+ and 60fps) at what point is it not worth the hassle.

This is coming from someone who 'trys hard' in every game and sits 4 feet from a 55inch 4K Oled. The increased visual fidelity isn't lost on me but some checkboarding methods are getting near the point of diminishing returns. Not quite there but closer with every major release, it seems.

As long as your willing to put the effort in, PC gaming is a wonderful thing. Hope you enjoy it.

Indeed, if you're willing to put in the time, in general is possible on your Chinese new gaming PC.

You can just talk to your phone and your phone will do the typing for you? I mean I know about voice recognition apps but I didn't know I could use one to post here.

You can do speech to text anywhere your keyboard shows up on your phone.

autoduelist

Tried to switch a few years ago. Got a very nice laptop because I need a laptop, not a desktop. Learned laptops absolutely suck for gaming. Don't want to invest money in a desktop.

It's okay though. I grew up playing pc games and loved them... drpgs, rpgs, rps, roguelikes, 4x.... genres that barely exist on console and I miss them. But now i've got less time and inclination across the board. i'm not going to be playing civ anymore, i'd rather play something like tlou. So I guess I'm okay?

I'd be psyched if a gaming rig suddenly showed up all set up in my living room. i just don't think I'm going to be the one to put it there anymore.

Lister

Banned
The amount of time I've saved playing PC games over consoles and NOT beign stuck behind interminable loading screens, the last 3+ years is probably equal to my SKyrim playtime :)

Welcome and enjoy your fancy new Chinese gaming PC!

Kssio_Aug

Yeah, I've moved to PC gaming recently as well and I don't think I'll ever look back again.

Most certainly from next-gen onwards I'll be using only Nintendo console + PC. Nowadays I have a XB1 that I'm currently selling; a PS4 that I'm holding it just for Until Dawn, Persona 5 and something that may eventually interest me; and a 3DS, which I soon intend to sell as well to grab a Switch.

LUXURY

Welcome. It's truly and amazing experience right? I started two years ago. I couldn't believe a difference could be more appealing. It's like night and day honestly. I still have my consoles and play sometimes, but the PC is simply the best.

Jimrpg

Tried to switch a few years ago. Got a very nice laptop because I need a laptop, not a desktop. Learned laptops absolutely suck for gaming. Don't want to invest money in a desktop.

It's okay though. I grew up playing pc games and loved them... drpgs, rpgs, rps, roguelikes, 4x.... genres that barely exist on console and I miss them. But now i've got less time and inclination across the board. i'm not going to be playing civ anymore, i'd rather play something like tlou. So I guess I'm okay?

I'd be psyched if a gaming rig suddenly showed up all set up in my living room. i just don't think I'm going to be the one to put it there anymore.

I know you're a big Vita fan, and if they don't ever make another Vita, well a Switch obviously would be a good choice, but a GPD Win wouldn't be bad either. You could take your Steam library from handheld to PC and its independent of the hardware.

And as for laptops, I think they're ok, but not really great if you want to play AAA or even A games. It's fine for emulation or games up to PS3 era. A desktop is really where its at, and its pretty nice to have one. I love mine to death.

I know, but there's no real point in playing a shooter with a controller on PC.

This is true.

The controls are super simple though, and mouse aiming is about as natural as you're going to get in shooters. For me it's the opposite. I will never play a shooter with a controller because now it feels like I'm fighting the controls to do what I want. Even Horizon Zero Dawn would have been way more enjoyable with a mouse due to all that precise aiming at weakpoints. Trying to do that with a controller was a chore.

Are you sure the 3440x1440 resolution is working natively? I ask because this is the exact same method we used to use for downsampling before DSR was introduced into the NVIDIA drivers. As such it was a manual option, per se.

I have an LG 29" ultrawide (2560x1080 @75hz native) and while I can create the above custom resolution and use it, it looks anything but like a native resolution.

Edit: Now I don't know what to think as I just used the 1440 res again and I think I might just not be used to the text being so small but it is clearly legible.

Let's put this way: if you use it for desktop, it's no good. But in games, it works great. Also you can save a bit of anti aliasing since its fairly higher than the standard res.

It's a nice plus :)

bede-x

It's great, but don't make the mistake I did and try to treat my PC like it's a console by using a controller whenever possible. It's a battle that cannot be won.

If by won you mean using a controller 100% of the time, then you're right, but I'm actually treating my PC as a console and think it works very well, though there are a few times issues come up that might bother people expecting to never touch anything but a controller. Most of the time I feel like I'm on a console with only a minimum amount of bother coming from games that leave a mouse cursor on screen, have a seperate launcher or similar. I use a wireless mouse in cases where it's just something like clicking it to start or don't bother at all with games without proper controller support.

It's close enough to a console to me that other advantages outweigh the negatives, but I understand completely if someone feels differently.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Anything with precise aiming, say an FPS I'll play with KB+M, something like Tomb Raider? I'll whack on Big Picture and play it with my DS4, you don't even need any additional software now, it just works. Although since getting a 144Hz monitor that's all I want to play on, my 60Hz TV just feels so inferior now.

People often talk about PC saving money, but honestly, the only reason I haven't jumped on the PC gaming wagon is because for me, it would much more expensive.

GameFly is $12/month for 2 games out. Until I can get all $60 PC games for $6 or less it's way more expensive than console gaming, even if you throw in PS+ or XBL. $150/year to play every physical game at launch is a value PC gaming can't touch.

So yeah, PC gaming isn't always this heaven of money saving some people make it out to be.

How do I get this offer?

uatGdnp.png

Jinroh

Another great thing with PC is emulation. Now that we can start emulating ps3 games I no longer worry about my old consoles breaking because of their old age.

It’s really the ultimate gaming plateforme.

Budi

Why would you?
I don't like to support any store even remotely shady, this is those key sellers with users selling (credit card fraud) keys.

And I also don't want to exploit regional pricing. There are reasons why those games are priced lower in certain regions, those reasons don't apply to me. So just a personal choice, nothing more. Please don't disparage me for it.

Ted

OP, you surely do live the go big or go home ethos when it comes to gaming, much respect 0racle.

Weirdly I've broadly speaking started to do the same transition just at the very polar opposite end of the power and cost scale in teh first instance... re-purposing my Mrs' old desktop (i5, integrated graphics).

It doesn't play much in the way of modern games but I've still found Steam to be an absolute service revolution compared to PSN. Even with just this store front I already have access to what feels like a larger and more diverse choice of games to fit my tastes, a clear, fair and user-centric refund policy, far better tools for finding games you might like, shift + tab as well as proper multi-tasking, free multi-player, free cloud saves (where supported), tools for sorting and organising my games, multiple ways to display the client according to display and plenty of possibilities for customisation in both games specifically and the wider experience. All of this is making PC gaming a very attractive proposition to me right now.

I'll see if it sticks before putting down what is [to me at least] a pretty significant chunk o'cash but I'm really digging it so far!

Good luck with your gaming endeavours in the future OP.

EDIT:

And I also don't want to exploit regional pricing. There are reasons why those games are priced lower in certain regions, those reasons don't apply to me. So just a personal choice, nothing more. Please don't disparage me for it.

I don't know anything about key re-sellers so can't comment on that but for this particular choice I applaud you wholeheartedly.

I don't like to support any store even remotely shady, this is those key sellers with users selling (credit card fraud) keys.

CDkeys is legit, I'll always take the cheapest option for games possible. I have stopped using G2A for most games though because the whole thing rubs me the wrong way.

shandy706

Bro why spend $2000 on a PC and leave it in the basement. Glad you like it.

I know how he feels as far as just not getting to it. My new build is lucky if I get an hour a week on it now. I've had Steam downloading a vast amount of my games this week at least.

Played some 4K Brutal Legend Wednesday morning. Absolutely love the soundtrack and the game looks awesome at 4K. I have yet to beat the game so maybe I'll do it this time, haha.

joecanada

well sure if you drive a civic around for a long time you will find that Ferrari pretty damn sweet.

(just wait till your first "oil change" though lol).

for the record I love civics and my ps4. my pc is more acura than Ferrari haha.

I pretty much made the opposite, after I bought PS4 I really haven't played that much on my PC (i7 6700k gtx1070 etc). I think the last one was Titanfall 2, so it's been a while. Even played Nier: Automata and Dark Souls 3 on PS4 rather than on my PC.

Nokterian

I've been playing on PC since the early 90's, i had consoles be it the NES later on off course Playstation and Xbox. I still own a Xbox One but it is collecting dust. I sold my PS4 since i stopped playing..i just didn't do anything with it. Do i regret it? A bit yeah was also a lot of investment but i prefer PC sitting at my desk with comfy chair having two monitors makes it so much better.

I bought a totally new PC in june it costed me 2300 euro's but worth every penny.

Ryzen 7 1700X 3,4Ghz
CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series H110i
Asus CROSSHAIR VI HERO
Samsung SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB M.2
Corsair HX750i Powersupply
Samsung SSD 850 EVO, 500 GB
WD Black, 4 TB
G. Skill D416GB 16 GB DDR4-3200 Kit
Asus Rog Strix GTX1080 8gb
Asus Raid DLX 7.1 Soundcard
Corsair 600C ATX

Also bought in january Acer XB 271H G-Sync Monitor.

I play more on PC than console, i love how i can do anything without any hassle watch stream while playing games.

This was a huge upgrade for me my other PC was not that super old but i did need to upgrade to keep it up with games going bigger and bolder. Also i buy games who are in the cheap.

tuxfool

Banned
Well I enjoyed Bloodborne so I just didn't mind. Also love to have physical media and actually own my games.

You're playing on a console, you aren't owning your games any more than on steam. You own a disc, which may or may not be enough to play the game.

it really is i have dead stop playing ps4/x1 it just kind of doesn't make sense to me anymore, I feel weird buying something for only exclusives that is so expensive but yeah it makes it really hard to go back to consoles after you have a decent rig.

joecanada

every time I skim over this post it gets funnier and funnier.

I kinda want this to catch on. Someone should post that in every PC thread, just randomly af. Like, the less relevant to the topic at hand, the better.

It's great because the thread isnt even aggressive and then bam! This gem drops in. I can feel the years of pent up hurt and anger over various abuses at the hands of evil PCs just emanating through the screen

I will probably switch to PC this next generation or just in a few years due to a couple reasons.

1. I don’t play as many games I used to so buying 2 $300-500 consoles plus having a pc is not cost effective.

2. Microsoft seem to be pretty good at releasing every game on PC, and while they may have performance issues or whatever it’s generally ironed out relatively quick.

3. A good number of Japanese games seem to be getting PC releases as well, come on Sega start releasing Yakuza on pc.

4. I won’t not buy a console, I’ll most likely still buy the next PlayStation but only after it’s been out for awhile and the price has dropped and built a good exclusive library.

5. Money is tight nowadays...truth is truth

6. I am starting to prefer gaming on a desk and with M/KB for shooters.

7. My two best friends game almost exclusively on pc.

8. Games can generally be found cheaper and I don’t buy physical anymore anyways.

9. The ease of using a pc for gaming has become great, unlike ever]n a few years ago.

10. Getting sweet performance out of a pc isn’t as expensive as it’s been in the past. Even a $500 gaming focused pc produces impressive results.

Okay, that’s more then a few but still. It sort of feels bad as I have always been a PlayStation guy (which is still the reasoning will still buy a PS(5)? At some point. I made the mistake of owning 3 Xbox ones (OG, Slim, then rebought a Slim because horizon 3 ran like shit on my pc and Xbox games) this generation and 2 ps4s (OG and Pro) and wasted so much money. I’ve really enjoyed both consoles but I could have had just as much fun on OG both especially since I paid nothing due to amazon credit on launch days.

I built my first pc last year, and it is definitely awesome, but I still ens up going back to my PS4 to play with my friends. :( Otherwise any single player games I'll play on pc. Rig is using an i5 4690k @3.5ghz, r9 390 8gb, 32gb ram. Best upgrade was my 144hz monitor.

Arcteryx

I'd say the placebo effect of the hardware itself on top of what it does for gaming has you on a high that it's pretty thorough and consistent as long as you keep investing in PC games.

I definitely see the investment paying off as a primary platform but at the same time I still am an advocate for at least one good console that has most of the same releases and its own exclusives. something like a PlayStation 4 is a good primary but at somebody who has been PC since I was a kid I can never I definitely see the investment paying off as a primary platform but at the same time I still am in advocate for at least one good console that has most of the same releases and its own exclusive. Something like a PlayStation 4 is a good primary but as somebody who has been PC since I was a kid I can never stand against or not recommend somebody to get into PC gaming because it really is a fantastic investment.

the often neglected part because we are gaming forum, is the fact that you're going to build a monster PC and it's going to be able to destroy and Tackle not just gaming but multimedia and other things which will enrich your life so it's pretty awesome to have all that power at your disposal to do pretty much anything you want concurrently. So the whole presentation aspect the graphics on top of the multitasking abilities and pretty much unhinged gaming, multimedia, and anything in general is possible on your Chinese new gaming PC.

in general is possible on your Chinese new gaming PC.

in general is possible on your shiny new gaming PC.

I'm already amazed by what you can do on smart phones and you imagine the power on a monster rig and what it could do for you and you just grow a custom to that level of performance and refused to have anything less.

EDIT - I just realized that the voice recognition on my phone did something there that it wasn't supposed to. But let the record note that I'm having coffee in the morning and I must go to work so I will own up to whatever Google decided to do with it cryptic voice recognition.

P.S.

FML

This post made possible by your locally owned Chinese manufactured mobile phone.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Wait you just happened to have that in your basement for a year?
That can't be right

0racle

I have never used gsync or seen it in person.

I think my monitor is 60 Hz so 60fps is my max

I play all games at ultra and value image quality. Knowing this, does gsync make sense for me ? Even if I own a monitor that has gsync won't playing at ultra hold me back ? I mean how much higher than 60 can I get ?

Top Bottom