• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age Of Empires Online |OT| Yes, it plays like Age of Empires.

Is there some realm that GAF has agreed on to play? FWIW I picked Athens as it's the alphabetically first English server.

The MMOish general chat in your capital city is pretty cool. The game has a fantastic art style. Didn't expect this out of GPG.

gillty

Banned
FieryBalrog said:
Is there some realm that GAF has agreed on to play? FWIW I picked Athens as it's the alphabetically first English server.

The MMOish general chat in your capital city is pretty cool. The game has a fantastic art style. Didn't expect this out of GPG.
Gas Powered Games didn't design the art or the game. Robot Entertainment (ex-Ensemble) did. Ensemble handed off the game about 6months ago to GPG for basically post release content/support.

Game feels very crisp, unit animations are very well done. Only nitpick is I can't find a way to turn off unit acknowledgments. My Egyptian spearmen say "ANERVAY" for everything.

AusQB

FieryBalrog said:
Game feels very crisp, unit animations are very well done. Only nitpick is I can't find a way to turn off unit acknowledgments. My Egyptian spearmen say "ANERVAY" for everything.
Unit acknowledgments are what make the game.

WOLOLO

VALIS

Nightshade1765 said:
Serious question: Can I still build walls?

Fuck yeah. I enabled wall building on my tech tree just now, in fact.

The tech tree in this game is quite large, it's nice.

VALIS

Ha. I guess this lesson can be applied to real life, too, but never attack an elephant just because he's standing near your storage shed. They're kinda strong.

What the heck, I can't buy almost anything without being premium? And what with the latest technology upgrades? Are they serious? It isn't free to play, it's free to try, and in order to play, you actually need to buy something. Maxitrunsaction it is.

VALIS

The_Player said:
What the heck, I can't buy almost anything without being premium? And what with the latest technology upgrades? Are they serious? It isn't free to play, it's free to try, and in order to play, you actually need to buy something. Maxitrunsaction it is.

What do you mean? Technology upgrades are free. You get XP buy doing quests, killing people, destroying buildings, etc. Then each plateau of XP you reach, you get a few tech points to upgrade your tech tree. What are you trying to buy?

Unless you're talking about multiplayer, I haven't tried that yet.

Natiko

Banned
Installed this just now but I'm on my Xbox so I can't test it out yet. Only going to play it some and then stop once I hit the 'free' barrier. Definitely not supporting any of these shitty F2P business models.

VALIS said:
What do you mean? Technology upgrades are free. You get XP buy doing quests, killing people, destroying buildings, etc. Then each plateau of XP you reach, you get a few tech points to upgrade your tech tree. What are you trying to buy?

Unless you're talking about multiplayer, I haven't tried that yet.
I am talking about the latest (in list) technologys in the tree. They're asking to buy premium before I can learn'em.

demolitio

I was skeptical of this game's style when it just announced, but damn does it look beautiful yet simple to me. It's a lot different than the powerful (for the time) graphics that the last AoE game had. I remember that game being shown at every convention known to man based on the "revolutionary" graphics it brought to the RTS genre.

Yet this art style still impresses me after being used to the old games. I don't know what Egypt looks like, but the art really fits the Greek theme.

Edit: Of course I crash to desktop when changing my AA in the options menu... :D That's what I get for being pleased with the graphics!

demolitio

hamchan said:
So downloading it now. Does anyone know how big the download size is?
2 gigs around I believe it was said. It's definitely not a huge download which is nice for a change.

Edit: I'm on Athens if you want to join me when you're finished downloading. I'll be going to bed soon, but I'll probably be playing this all week/month/year/decade until AoE4 comes out. My Live account is "DemoUSAF".

This game makes me miss Rise of Nations a lot though. Best RTS ever followed by the worst sequel ever and now we'll never see it again. :(

Dmax3901

Played some of it, tis fun and I can see it getting depressingly addictive.

My great Greek city of Mordor is coming along nicely.

AusQB

I went with Marathon simply because it was already selected, so I figured it must have chosen the optimum server. Also, I identify with Marathon on many different levels.

Playing as Egyptians because I love Ancient Egyptian culture and also because most people said they would play as Greeks because "they were the best".

AusQB

hamchan said:
Hooray level 2. Anyways, is there an optimal amount of villagers per resource patch?
Doesn't really matter. I think there is a max, just as a result of the pathing, so you could only have a dozen villagers side-by-side picking berries. But as far as optimizing goes, the biggest factor is how far they have to travel to deliver their goods.

Gowans

I got to level 3 on my lunch break.

What a awesome game, can't believe I've never played a AoE game before.

The gameplay and style is fantastic.

I got a premium only item tho :( ahh thats how they get ya. Tempted to buy the game if it's reasonable.

Gowans007 said:
I got to level 3 on my lunch break.

What a awesome game, can't believe I've never played a AoE game before.

The gameplay and style is fantastic.

I got a premium only item tho :( ahh thats how they get ya. Tempted to buy the game if it's reasonable.

i guess you don't buy "the game" but rather they want you to KEEP BUYING extra crap to make the game worthwhile...

this better be good WITHOUT all that extra stuff!

Gowans

Winnie the Pimp said:
i guess you don't buy "the game" but rather they want you to KEEP BUYING extra crap to make the game worthwhile...

this better be good WITHOUT all that extra stuff!
yeah i'm confused to what is the game and whats just extra fluf to buy, hence the $99.99?!?! thread.

Does buying certain items give you an advantage in game?

How is the connection while online?

I've played AOE games before, but im a bit sceptical because of above questions and
GFWL

zlatko

Banned
Patching now. I'm curious how much of the game is taken out from the player to force microtransactions later on. Does anyone have a link or know what key things you miss out on just playing it bare bones?

If you buy a premium civ you are basically set for that civ. The rest of the stuff with that civ is things you unlock through "questing" (single player or co-op through the campaign).

The microtransactions really only come to bite you if you want: 1) more civs (obviously this is a big one), 2) cosmetic farmville crap for your capital city, 3) additional game modes (defense of Crete, etc.).

I find the idea of having to pay for each civ a little off-putting but at the same time each one is pretty big in terms of how much shit there is to do. I just broke down and bought the Egyptian premium civ, so they got me.

Cpt.Underpants said:
Does buying certain items give you an advantage in game?
You can't buy items. What happens is each civ has a one-time "premium" fee of $20. Paying this gives you all the top-level tech options (you still have to grind out the campaign to get them). It also allows you to use the top level gear (which you still have to find in your campaign or through trades).

hamchan

Well if I can unlock everything with a Civ then I won't ever buy items for it. I'll probably buy more civs and more missions if I end up loving the game.

kswiston

My copy keeps installing in German even though I select English and am in Canada. Tried 4 times now. Anyone else have this issue?

kswiston said:
My copy keeps installing in German even though I select English and am in Canada. Tried 4 times now. Anyone else have this issue?
I saw some people on my English server typing in German in the chat. I just assumed it was very stubborn German people.

Microsoft, you son of a *****. They are charging $40 bucks for the Greek Civilization Pack in my region. WHY!?

And the worst part is that they are charging over $200 for the season pass... so tired of this regional bullshit.

mxgt

Banned
Madrugador said:
Microsoft, you son of a *****. They are charging $40 bucks for the Greek Civilization Pack in my region. WHY!?

And the worst part is that they are charging over $200 for the season pass... so tired of this regional bullshit.

Wow that's ridiculous

Top Bottom